Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

bitches what about Pel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

ijii posted:

Grand Nagus Zek > Quark > Nog > Rom > Brunt > Moogie

gently caress you for putting Moogie at the bottom

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Bogus Adventure posted:

also this

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Which is perfectly in-character with his being a "Bad Ferengi" like his father, and it's only after he's freed from the overwhelming pressure to attain profit that he can examine the deeper spiritual elements of his faith and truly navigate the currents of the Great Material Continuum.

These episodes were good partly because of this sort of take on the Ferengi worldview.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The Ferengi belief system: they put so much thought into what was a throwaway gag about a misogynist alien race written by a dying senile arch pervert addled on prescription drugs, and turned it into one of the more engaging features of the whole show.

It's stuff like this that sets DS9 miles apart from poo poo like, say, Disco.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

ijii posted:

Grand Nagus Zek > Quark > Nog > Rom > Brunt > Moogie

This is correct but really all Ferengi DS9 is good episodes so why worry about an order?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is Nog is pretty poo poo at being a Ferengi at first partly because he's young and inexperienced and partly probably because he has very little confidence from being the loser son of a loser dad everyone knows doesn't have the lobes for business, and Quark isn't a whole lot better. He doesn't really get that pouncing on business opportunities requires thinking outside the box, which Jake is pretty good at.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

These episodes were good partly because of this sort of take on the Ferengi worldview.

And it's something that both makes perfect sense within the cutthroat capitalism ideology of the Ferengi and is also more broadly applicable outside of it, because even in borderline post-scarcity luxury gay space communist Federation, there's still products and services in demand. It's also a key skill for a ship officer to be able to find and allocate resources effectively.

Always found it funny that Quark actually likes Jake, since Jake wants to be a writer- and making entertainment products is a skill Ferengi respect. (though weirded out that he doesn't charge for them)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Always found it funny that Quark actually likes Jake, since Jake wants to be a writer- and making entertainment products is a skill Ferengi respect. (though weirded out that he doesn't charge for them)
it seems like its a skill that still cant be automated. like the holodeck can create a fairly realistic and complex sandbox from historical data, but its just an environment to do stuff in.

in terms of creating stories and engaging events, it still seems like it needs humans to script that kind of stuff. or the holodeck can add characters and stereotypes to interact with, but to create really engaging content you still need a sentient being

like riker seemed amazed by the brunette in the jazz bar until he found out the weird binary aliens created her to distract him

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

it seems like its a skill that still cant be automated. like the holodeck can create a fairly realistic and complex sandbox from historical data, but its just an environment to do stuff in.

in terms of creating stories and engaging events, it still seems like it needs humans to script that kind of stuff. or the holodeck can add characters and stereotypes to interact with, but to create really engaging content you still need a sentient being

like riker seemed amazed by the brunette in the jazz bar until he found out the weird binary aliens created her to distract him

Holodeck NPC's are probably semi-automated in that they can give some basic conversation, but to feel "real" you need someone writing the overall narrative. It's not enough to say "this is a woman in a 1920's bar", you need someone to fine-tune that to "this woman has a sexy demeanour, peppers her sentences with innuendo, and will flirt exclusively with the protagonist/s. Her conversation in this scene uses 1920's-style english, uses these specific lines for the story, and needs to urge the player to go to [NEXT SCENE]".

It's still your basic RPG NPC, but with a better engine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not to mention Quark specifically makes a lot of money from holosuite programs, and is quite willing to branch out to whatever his customers will pay for.

I get the impression that the core computer does a lot of the work, but popular programs are ones that have a lot of depth and nuance to them.The Vic Fontaine program in particular has a lot of extras and even what you might call an expansion pack (they called it a 'jack in the box', which I suppose is as good a metaphor as any), and bits like when Nog is basically using it as his PTSD treatment, Fontaine is having money troubles that Nog is able to help with. (y'know, disappointed we didn't get to see Vic meet the Grand Nagus, I bet Zek would feel right at home) They're all running on the same game engine, in a sense, with holodecks having a lot of available shortcuts to create programs. (like the whole plot with getting a scan of Kira for a custom program, which is all kinds of skeevy kinda even in-episode)

If anything, Star Trek could be pretty ahead of its time in video games being a popular entertainment of choice for those with access to high-tech setups, and a broad variety of programs available ranging from basically set dressing for an existing game (like the baseball program) to in-depth adventures (like the totally-not-James Bond program) to ambitious sandboxes. (the Vic Fontaine program)

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

let's not talk about voyager's holo-ireland, because that was all kinds of a mess

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Miss posted:

let's not talk about voyager's holo-ireland, because that was all kinds of a mess

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Janeway got some mad Irish D.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ferengi capitalism is a belief system and is disdained where other belief systems are respected, even if they result in flat-out murder in 3 days, such as was the case with the willing reintroduction of caste systems among the Bajoran people.

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 23, 2018

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Another reason why Bajorans are awful people

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Cardassians could only suppress the Bajoran instinct for murder and self-destruction for so long :(

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Computer, create an opponent capable of defeating Data in a fiction-writing contest.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
When you think about it, the utopic abundance of the Federation is the ultimate profit. You only give what you feel like and in return you get everything.

Excuse me while I nail these grievances to the door of the Tower of Commerce

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Computer, create an opponent capable of defeating Data in a fiction-writing contest.
it would just create a deathray wielding orb that would take out the judges and all other competitors, until barclay hosed it or something

to answer your question seriously though, in the same episode geordi tried to get it to make a holmes style mystery but the best it could do was cobble together clues and events from already existing holmes stories

if i recall correctly the computer only managed to make moriarty after shutting most of the ship systems down to make room

given a large enough library of plots and narratives it could generate a competent plot, but it's probably one of those things where you would need human oversight to confirm that the generated plots resolve and hold interest

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Bobby Deluxe posted:

it would just create a deathray wielding orb that would take out the judges and all other competitors, until barclay hosed it or something

to answer your question seriously though, in the same episode geordi tried to get it to make a holmes style mystery but the best it could do was cobble together clues and events from already existing holmes stories

if i recall correctly the computer only managed to make moriarty after shutting most of the ship systems down to make room

given a large enough library of plots and narratives it could generate a competent plot, but it's probably one of those things where you would need human oversight to confirm that the generated plots resolve and hold interest

I don't think it shut down the ship to create moriarty, I think the difference was that when you tell the computer to make a Holmes mystery it draws on a database of things in a Holmes mystery to make one.

When you tell it to design someone capable of challenging Data, it basically creates someone as intelligent as him and gives him a bunch of knowledge.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
It's a real shame that emotion analyser won't work on Morn.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Miss posted:

Also, what a horrible way to blow your budget. Let's waste a ton of money shooting outside on a side-plot that is boring as poo poo. (apparently it was cheaper to build big sets and shoot in a studio than it was to go to an empty field 4km out of town and film for half an hour).

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bogus Adventure posted:

Zek would be nothing without her!!!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

It's a real shame that emotion analyser won't work on Morn.

Surprise .100000
Contempt .250000
Happiness .650000

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Danaru posted:

When you think about it, the utopic abundance of the Federation is the ultimate profit. You only give what you feel like and in return you get everything.

Excuse me while I nail these grievances to the door of the Tower of Commerce

You don't get a private moon though. How is life worth living if there is no chance of ever owning your own moon, like cousin Gaila?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Star trek people.

Is there a planet in star trek where it's always Christmas?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bananana posted:

Star trek people.

There's a planet in Doctor Who where it is always Christmas.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Bananana posted:

Star trek people.

Bajor, but only during the occupation.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Inner Light is the best drat episode.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Bananana posted:

Star trek people.

ferenginar, if you have the latinum

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The Bananana posted:

Star trek people.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Q'istmas

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Picard gets the same dune buggy every Christmas.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the mmo xmas event is called qs winter wonderland. the mmo version looks nothing like q and is not voiced. you can fight stick batleth wielding snowmen

:siren: giant image warning:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

What sociopath child is making snowballs out of giant ice chunks

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What sociopath child is making snowballs out of giant ice chunks

Wasn't it Wesley?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Yeah he’s not sociopathic just annoying

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

:siren: giant image warning:

I have concerns about the methodology on the viewership questions. Like how 58% of people have seen all the movies if only 16% have seen The Undiscovered Country. (Which is a bit :wtc: in and of itself.) Was "all of them" just another checkbox among the individual movies, and it was handled exactly the same? Because that's not exactly the best way to handle that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

the mmo version looks nothing like q and is not voiced.

That's because the Q in STO is not Picard's Q. The mission explaining that this is Q's son Q from Voyager, now grown up and loving with the PCs, is no longer in the game.