Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
Tower damage was also way higher so it was pretty easy to tech up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The march of imbalance was hilarious to both watch and play and all sorts of strats had their time to shine. Before it had ice attack the halls of the dead and black citadel were basically super spirit towers and did like 60 dps or something insane

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

General Battuta posted:

Huh, that's crazy. You'd think a bunch of basic grunts/footmen would just overwhelm them, even if the casters had ranged piercing attacks, but I guess their spells were just that good? Or was piercing damage just universally good in RoC?
Casters cost 2 food and did damage commensurate to that cost without using spells. Shamans with Bloodlust for Orc and Sorcs with Slow for Human therefore massively out DPS'd any type of standard unit. NE and UD didn't tend to mass casters in RoC because they didn't have such strong DPS advantage spells. The go-to strat for NE was mass Huntress, a fast semi ranged unit that had ridiculous DPS and was available at t1 while Undead relied on triple hero nukes while teching to tier3 Ghouls which were absurdly fast and had huge DPS allowing UD to easily trap and nuke enemy hero's. The whole game was basically entirely rebalanced for The Frozen Throne and none of those strats worked after release (although triple hero UD remained but usually utilizing Fiends instead).

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Milo and POTUS posted:

So I tried to hop onto Bnet for the first time in years and definitely the first time on this machine. It makes me download it and restart. All's well at this point. Then it has like some updater that pops up and takes about an hour. Fine. Has options for repair and launch. Finish that and start the game from the updater and cannot play it in widescreen. Two huge black lines about 2-2.5 inches on the sides. Friend didn't make it to Bnet so I closed the game. On a whim, tried to start it from start menu, see if the black bars issue would resolve itself and got a system error, stating that "The code execution cannot proceed because mss32.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem." I don't even think I have the cd key any more lmao

The black bars are normal. The original game was made for 4:3 so rather than stretch the menus they elected to use black bars instead.

The in-game itself however has been fixed to display in widescreen.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Flayer posted:

tier3 Ghouls which were absurdly fast and had huge DPS allowing UD to easily trap and nuke enemy hero's.

My favorite was forest walking ghouls

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So did Blizzard just break the hostbots but make the default host work like hostbots?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Huh, that's crazy. You'd think a bunch of basic grunts/footmen would just overwhelm them, even if the casters had ranged piercing attacks, but I guess their spells were just that good? Or was piercing damage just universally good in RoC?

unless you have some kind of anti-magic, mass casters wreck melee units since you can just kite them while spamming buffs/debuffs. the only good counter to buffs/debuffs in roc was the aoe dispel that priests had

ud/orc only had a single-target purge effect, which was really ineffective when you had to spend all that apm while bloodlust or slow were being auto cast. elves had to bring in wisps and hope they survived long enough to get in range (and then send in another wisp every 5 seconds or so)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The best thing about old Warcraft 3 was almost everything had its moment in the sun as far as imbalance was concerned.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Milo and POTUS posted:

The best thing about old Warcraft 3 was almost everything had its moment in the sun as far as imbalance was concerned.
It was kinda the opposite. Hero choice was pretty much solved in each match-up - the only real big change in the meta I remember was NE going full on Ancient abuse by the time Frozen Throne was coming out. It got quite ridiculous with whole armies of AoWs. Most of the important meta changes were based around creeping patterns.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Flayer posted:

It was kinda the opposite. Hero choice was pretty much solved in each match-up - the only real big change in the meta I remember was NE going full on Ancient abuse by the time Frozen Throne was coming out. It got quite ridiculous with whole armies of AoWs. Most of the important meta changes were based around creeping patterns.

Every time a patch came out and nerfed something they'd buff something else and it'd take over until the next patch. And yeah ancients were overpowered as hell.

e: my favorite imba strat was quick creeping for land mines

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 17, 2018

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
My favourite balance change was when they made Anti-Magic Shell non-dispellable.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Flayer posted:

Playing Random and having tryhards yell at you to disclose which army you pulled so they could use their standard match up build was weird. "Random is cheating!"

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
When TFT first came out the consensus was that Beastmaster was poo poo because hey all his abilities (summons) can be countered with anti-magic spells. Then lo/io took the #1 spot on US East using him with NE because it turns out that anti-magic isn't really a concern when creeping, and when you combine him with moonwells you get an insane super-creeper. Then after taking #1 on US East he took the #1 spot on US West completely undefeated, the absolute madman.

Do people still use BM with NE? I remember he got nerfed a bunch.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

bm is still used by i think everyone who isn't dead. turns out quillboars are good

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Cicero posted:

When TFT first came out the consensus was that Beastmaster was poo poo because hey all his abilities (summons) can be countered with anti-magic spells. Then lo/io took the #1 spot on US East using him with NE because it turns out that anti-magic isn't really a concern when creeping, and when you combine him with moonwells you get an insane super-creeper. Then after taking #1 on US East he took the #1 spot on US West completely undefeated, the absolute madman.

You used to see a lot of Beastmaster first before the Keeper + Alch combo came into vogue. Good for creeping like you said, and the quillbeasts are also really good early game base harassment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqJr6ppqFDc&t=1305s

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

Early BM was bear focused, and bear got nerfed to hell. People dropped off using him until they discovered quillboars were also great.

DR with NE was underrated I thought. Also a creeping machine and silence is always good.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Oops :downs:

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 22, 2018

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is there a way to have a lan game with a fake player in 1.30.2? I've got a map that needs 2 players to play properly and I'm at my parent's place for xmas with their terrible internet that gives me a 1.3k ping to everything so I'd rather not inflict that on a random person on bnet.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's worth noting to anyone that's interested in customs that Bnet is actually active with games hosted by actual people and the requirement of port forwarding is gone.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SirSamVimes posted:

It's worth noting to anyone that's interested in customs that Bnet is actually active with games hosted by actual people and the requirement of port forwarding is gone.

Gah! Since when?? :aaa:

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

THE BAR posted:

Since around the Reforged announcement, actually.

Very dissapointed in some of the games that are hosted, though. In 2018 do we really need unplayable versions of Hero Line War active?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

THE BAR posted:

The game started being active again since the Reforged announcement, and the patch which killed bots happened shortly after.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Were the bot hosts that bad though really?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yes, because you'd often find games occupied by only the bot host and people new to the game would just be left wondering why no one ever joined the games they hosted

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

People still don't seem to join, whenever I make a server. Maybe it's just the odour.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I never played this when it was first released, and now that Blizzard is doing the reforged, it seems like a good time as any to play it through. The only problem is where to get it? Blizzard doesn't sell it online as far as I can see, and lol at buying a disc in TYOOL 2019. Is there anywhere to buy it digitally?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Zipperelli. posted:

So I never played this when it was first released, and now that Blizzard is doing the reforged, it seems like a good time as any to play it through. The only problem is where to get it? Blizzard doesn't sell it online as far as I can see, and lol at buying a disc in TYOOL 2019. Is there anywhere to buy it digitally?

Blizzard has a digital distribution platform/downloader for all their games (and a few Activision published ones like Destiny 2 or COD) now. You can find it on https://battle.net

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Blizzard has a digital distribution platform/downloader for all their games (and a few Activision published ones like Destiny 2 or COD) now. You can find it on https://battle.net

I'm aware of the b.net launcher. W3 Classic isn't available anywhere on there, with the exception of the reforged pre-order.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
They took down purchasing ROC or TFT and replaced it with pre-ordering reforged

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Is it just me or has the classic games section of the blizz store hosed off since the reforged order was up? I couldn’t find it anywhere when I was checking to see if it still had RoC

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They've got links to the downloader but if you don't have a key already I don't know how to get one without buying Reforged.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Half of Dracula posted:

They took down purchasing ROC or TFT and replaced it with pre-ordering reforged

Huh.

They made the oringal StarCraft free when they released the remaster.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

It sucks because I was going to get some friends the originals for xmas, hoping they would be on sale but nope lol

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

I am strangely enchanted by Legion TD, specifically x20. It plays a lot like a roguelike multiplayer tower defense game

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like TD maps where you have to do mazing and which involve a lot of slow and poison and weird long range towers so every wave takes forever to get through your killzone. I also feel that dedicated TD games like Defense Grid lack the weird patchwork aesthetic that WC3 maps had, where you mow down waves of flying pigs using a bunch of giant pink Thralls

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Shibawanko posted:

I also feel that dedicated TD games like Defense Grid lack the weird patchwork aesthetic that WC3 maps had, where you mow down waves of flying pigs using a bunch of giant pink Thralls

I agree. It's a lot of fun building a death funnel of gold mines that shoot coins, wells that drown enemies, a lich that slows them, a dragon, a floating spark that shoots lightning, a sheep that doesn't attack but makes random enemies explode, etc.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The best Tower Defenses did poo poo like use Projectile models for their tower art, so you'd get poo poo like Lightning Balls just kinda sitting there and pulsing and farting more lighting or Little Green Birds that angrily flap enemies to death.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Also one of the towers is a pokemon.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Some of the towers use Units as their projectiles, so you'll get a constant stream of Footmen being flung through the air and dying on impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Has Blizz announced a release date for WC3:R or is it just still '2019'?

My dumb rear end pre-ordered thinking it was going to be released before midnight on 12/31/2018, and when January hit, I was very confused.

READING COMPREHENSION IS CRUCIAL