Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

serebralassazin posted:

I have this TV. Are you watching HDR videos? That sounds like it could be the brightness adjusting in HDR scenes. I think I've seen it referred to as brightness breathing on AVS. It can be annoying sometimes.

I don’t think so. Is Netflix HDR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

dantheman650 posted:

I don’t think so. Is Netflix HDR?

Netflix can be HDR. Depends on the show.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
And if you’re paying for the 4K sub

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Ok, I do pay for 4K and I notice it most prominently in Haunting on Hill House

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah that has DV which I think will show as HDR

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Hill House is HDR on Netflix. What you describe sounds like the brightness adjusting. I remember looking into this before on AVS and if I remember right according to them it's more pronounced on Netflix compared to other HDR sources. I have watched scenes with little motion having very noticeable brightness fluctuations which can be annoying. I've gotten used to it over time but now and then I'll watch something that does it and get annoyed.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
My old Bravia gave up the ghost yesterday so I went and bought a TCL 55 S412. Looks great but I have 2 questions and Google hasn't been helpful: how the hell do I get the Amazon Prime Video app (and if possible other news apps) in there, and why is there a half second audio lag in all the YouTube videos I've used for testing? What setting affects this?

Thanks!

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
HDTVtest just did a video on (one of?) the 2018 LG OLEDs that did that same HDR slow transiton thing and they had to fix it with a firmware update. Another vid from a few weeks before was him showing the issue and he put in a big warning that if it's not bugging you not to watch it cause then you'll start noticing it. I've seen it on my KS8000 too and yeahhh I just try and ignore it, bah.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

teh_Broseph posted:

HDTVtest just did a video on (one of?) the 2018 LG OLEDs that did that same HDR slow transiton thing and they had to fix it with a firmware update. Another vid from a few weeks before was him showing the issue and he put in a big warning that if it's not bugging you not to watch it cause then you'll start noticing it. I've seen it on my KS8000 too and yeahhh I just try and ignore it, bah.

This is sad to hear. It totally ruins a lot of shows for me - it’s so distracting that I can’t even focus on the dialog.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Just wanted to thank you guys for your recommendation - mom loves her new TCL 55S515. No image issues at all, streaming Blue Planet II in UHD on Netflix and it looks superb for $400. Merry Christmas, HDTV goons!

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy

Something Offal posted:

Bolt Crank nice, let us know how you like it!

As a follow-up, the TCL R615 is doing amazing!

It's a great television, and the size upgrade (from a 27" monitor) makes us feel like we're at a movie theater every time we use it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Welp my ~11ish year old Panasonic plasma seems to be on the way out. I turned it on and it looks like a bad contrast is throwing a gauzy white cast over the entire screen suddenly. No amount of loving with the menus seem to correct it. It's a 55" and I was hoping to get a 65" to replace it. I was hoping to wait it out for OLED but if the tv is going in the shitter I can't wait until this springtime when it would be easier for me to afford.

Is the 65" TCL LCD 4K tv as good as everybody is saying the 55" one is? edit: I'm looking at the 6 series.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 27, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The 6 series TCL is a pretty good TV. I've ordered 2 from Amazon and they've both arrived broken (cracked screen). The replacements came OK though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just measured my Panasonic plasma and I was mistaken: it's a 45". A 55" replacement might be pretty alright then. I know I missed out on the pre-Christmas price at Best Buy, but is there usually a New Year's sale or just beforehand to get rid of inventory to avoid taxes for shops? Sorry it's been years and years since I bought a new TV.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Next big sale will be for the Superbowl.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ugh ok, thanks.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Welp my ~11ish year old Panasonic plasma seems to be on the way out. I turned it on and it looks like a bad contrast is throwing a gauzy white cast over the entire screen suddenly. No amount of loving with the menus seem to correct it. It's a 55" and I was hoping to get a 65" to replace it. I was hoping to wait it out for OLED but if the tv is going in the shitter I can't wait until this springtime when it would be easier for me to afford.

Is the 65" TCL LCD 4K tv as good as everybody is saying the 55" one is? edit: I'm looking at the 6 series.

Do you have Amazon Prime? If you're eligible for it look at some of the LG OLEDs on there and see if they have the 5 month payment plan. There's no interest or markup on the final price and you can pay individual payments or the whole thing earlier than the deadline if you want. That's how I got mine when I couldn't afford the whole thing right away but was able to make the monthly payments easily.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I just measured my Panasonic plasma and I was mistaken: it's a 45".

Are you measuring from left to right? TVs are done as diagonals from one corner to the opposite.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

JebanyPedal posted:

Do you have Amazon Prime? If you're eligible for it look at some of the LG OLEDs on there and see if they have the 5 month payment plan. There's no interest or markup on the final price and you can pay individual payments or the whole thing earlier than the deadline if you want. That's how I got mine when I couldn't afford the whole thing right away but was able to make the monthly payments easily.

Hunh, I don't see anything about the payment plan at all, but thank you.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Are you measuring from left to right? TVs are done as diagonals from one corner to the opposite.

Yeah I measured diagonally. It was just so drat long since I bought my old tv I forgot the size :v:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's probably a "46 inch class" model and the measurement is 45.something

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

It's probably a "46 inch class" model and the measurement is 45.something

Ugh I hate that manufacturers pull that. Its like gas being $2.499.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My Sony W900A says 54.6" on the box, but I'm not going to complain.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, there's very little to complain about with the W900A. I still think it's one of the best 1080p TVs ever made. I still have mine in my home office and I'm still wowed by the picture quality every now and again.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

burnsep posted:

My old Bravia gave up the ghost yesterday so I went and bought a TCL 55 S412. Looks great but I have 2 questions and Google hasn't been helpful: how the hell do I get the Amazon Prime Video app (and if possible other news apps) in there, and why is there a half second audio lag in all the YouTube videos I've used for testing? What setting affects this?

Thanks!

Sorry to harp on but I'd love any help before this gets buried :hfive:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hunh, I don't see anything about the payment plan at all, but thank you.

Yeah I measured diagonally. It was just so drat long since I bought my old tv I forgot the size :v:

Yeah I checked myself and it seems like they don't have the OLEDs available with that option anymore, I did order mine awhile back though.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm looking to purchase a new TV and wanted some recommendations.

Budget: No more than $300 ~ $400
Size: 32 to 43 inches
Brand: I would prefer a well-known brand such as Samsung, Sony etc. Although I did find an affordable TV from Hisense - what's your opinion of this brand?
Features: Integrated Netflix / YouTube would be nice

I'll be watching Netflix, Youtube, and basic cable on it so I don't need a super high resolution one but is there a significant difference between 720P vs 1080P? What do you guy's recommend?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 28, 2018

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Thoughts on the TCL 65R617 for $899 at Newegg? Price and lack of tax is appealing, but I’m worried about Newegg’s return policy and panel lottery.

I’m sure Best Buy won’t pricematch since they stock the 615.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Busy Bee posted:

I'm looking to purchase a new TV and wanted some recommendations.

Budget: No more than $300 ~ $400
Size: 32 to 43 inches
Brand: I would prefer a well-known brand such as Samsung, Sony etc. Although I did find an affordable TV from Hisense - what's your opinion of this brand?
Features: Integrated Netflix / YouTube would be nice

I'll be watching Netflix, Youtube, and basic cable on it so I don't need a super high resolution one but is there a significant difference between 720P vs 1080P? What do you guy's recommend?

Why do 1080p rather than 4k? Don't buy a 720p TV in 2018.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-43-class-led-5-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6202780.p?skuId=6202780

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

How is TCL's reputation?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Busy Bee posted:

How is TCL's reputation?

Good, inexpensive TVs with surprising quality, good warranty and customer support, and basically just better than the majority of other budget options.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What do you think of this Samsung 40" 4K TV? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-40-class-led-nu7100-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6202107.p?skuId=6202107

I know it's a little bit more expensive than the TCL but I like the slightly smaller size and the remote with numbers on it.

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img
]
Clapping Larry
At the urging of my young teen kids, we are finally ready to replace our Sony plasma WEGA. I did a little research online, but I am not really into audio/visual stuff. I skimmed the last 10 pages of this thread, and it sounds like I can’t go wrong with an LG OLED tv, right? C8 or E8? (55”) I’m a bit scared of having it shipped, so thinking about buying it at BestBuy or Costco. Bad idea?

Budget: up to $2000. (I chuckle remembering my ex paid over $5000 for the Sony back in 2004)

Also, do I need to buy a sound bar? Suggestions appreciated!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Look for a C8 for around $1500. Shipping is probably fine but if you're paranoid you could try getting somewhere local to price match. You'll probably want a sound solution other than what's offered from the TV speakers but how much you spend on that is totally up to you. You could get a serviceable sound bar for $100 if you're not picky.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

punchbuggy posted:

At the urging of my young teen kids, we are finally ready to replace our Sony plasma WEGA. I did a little research online, but I am not really into audio/visual stuff. I skimmed the last 10 pages of this thread, and it sounds like I can’t go wrong with an LG OLED tv, right? C8 or E8? (55”) I’m a bit scared of having it shipped, so thinking about buying it at BestBuy or Costco. Bad idea?

Budget: up to $2000. (I chuckle remembering my ex paid over $5000 for the Sony back in 2004)

It's not really worth the price difference to get the E8. The picture on glass thing is just aesthetic and otherwise there isn't much difference, if it's like the older models then the E8 has slightly better speakers, but they're still TV speakers pointing out the back and thus suck rear end. You'd be much better off with the C8 and spending the extra on a halfway decent soundbar, which I'm not personally crazy about but they still sound ten times better than TV speakers.

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img
]
Clapping Larry

American McGay posted:

Look for a C8 for around $1500. Shipping is probably fine but if you're paranoid you could try getting somewhere local to price match. You'll probably want a sound solution other than what's offered from the TV speakers but how much you spend on that is totally up to you. You could get a serviceable sound bar for $100 if you're not picky.

JebanyPedal posted:

It's not really worth the price difference to get the E8. The picture on glass thing is just aesthetic and otherwise there isn't much difference, if it's like the older models then the E8 has slightly better speakers, but they're still TV speakers pointing out the back and thus suck rear end. You'd be much better off with the C8 and spending the extra on a halfway decent soundbar, which I'm not personally crazy about but they still sound ten times better than TV speakers.

You guys are awesome! Thank you ❤️

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877972&perpage=40#post491005794

Seems like a good deal on 55” e8

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

punchbuggy posted:

You guys are awesome! Thank you ❤️

I have this:
https://www.amazon.com/Acoustics-So...saKL&ref=plSrch

The sound quality is excellent and though it's not cheap, the value is outstanding.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

punchbuggy posted:

For something as expensive as OLED, I'd rather go with a local store with a strong return policy. Based on owner reports on AVS Forum, it sounds like LG isn't always very accommodating when it comes to requests for warranty replacement or service.

Also, since you asked about "can't go wrong," you should at least be aware that OLEDs sometimes are prone to uniformity problems that show up as vertical bands or areas of uneven brightness on dark scenes. (To be fair, non-OLED LCDs are often going to have uniformity issues of their own.) See discussion thread here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2896737-oled-screen-uniformity-discussion-banding-vignetting.html

Although modern TVs do a lot of things extremely well, I still don't think they have the overall uniformity, viewing angle, and motion handling that plasma did. What's wrong with your Sony?

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
I think it varies on where and which country you buy the TV in. My experience has been that LG warranty support is above and beyond.

I live in NYC, and I've had 3 warranty services done on LG Oled TVs. Twice on my 55EF9500, and once on my 65 B7P. In all 3 times, LG set everything up and required very little before they had a service partner come to my home and replace the faulty part.

You'll basically just need to have your receipt handy (easy enough if you bought online), and you'll need to send them an image of the issue. Even if they can't see the issue in a picture (like if you're talking about tinting or poor uniformity), they will still authorize the service partner to come by and take a look and even do the repair.

I would say if you're in the US, you're probably going to have 0 issue with LG repairs.

LG use to include a soundbar on their E series OLED TVs. However, most people who were buying such a premium set, were probably wall mounting and wanted the picture on glass aesthetic and already had a nice sound solution. LG to make the E8 a bit cheaper cut the soundbar, so you're getting the same quad speakers as the B & C series. They're good (atmos lol) TV speakers, but they won't match a quality sound solution. If the picture on glass is worth it to you, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Number_6 posted:

For something as expensive as OLED, I'd rather go with a local store with a strong return policy. Based on owner reports on AVS Forum, it sounds like LG isn't always very accommodating when it comes to requests for warranty replacement or service.

Although modern TVs do a lot of things extremely well, I still don't think they have the overall uniformity, viewing angle, and motion handling that plasma did. What's wrong with your Sony?

This is slightly to very irrational if you live in the US.

Buy online for a boatload of savings. It ships on the same trucks that BestBuy uses to get displays to stores and homes, and if you’re nervous beyond the warranty get one from Costco for 89.

Also I can’t agree with the uniformity and motion handling anymore. My C6, yes totally I agree with you. My C8 is there.