Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I thought the whole thing with the offenders comic is that old comics are full of racism and racist stereotypes but if anyone (even allies) offer mild criticism of it, comic producers/fans freak out and start attacking them?

Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Boy I didn't expect to spend this much time during the holidays explaining internet Neo-Nazi dogwhistles to my parents.

The most important thing to remember about Scott Adams is that he is so smart that he has, on multiple occasions, been caught sock-puppeting as a guy who posts exclusively about how smart Scott Adams is.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Edit: Doublepost.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Thinky Whale posted:

Boy I didn't expect to spend this much time during the holidays explaining internet Neo-Nazi dogwhistles to my parents.

The most important thing to remember about Scott Adams is that he is so smart that he has, on multiple occasions, been caught sock-puppeting as a guy who posts exclusively about how smart Scott Adams is.

Lol. I can only imagine the narcissism doing that.
"Hmm, everyone obviously recognizes the super genius that I am, They are just too shy to say anything. Ill pave the way for them"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
scott adams used to think gravity wasn't real because everything is just constantly doubling in size, making the space between them disappear, creating the illusion of gravity

somebody asked him what air was made out of

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I will never understand how a man who has spent the better part of thirty years making comic strips about a pointy-haired boss would vote for the biggest pointy-haired boss of all for president. gently caress Adams.

You either die a Dilbert or live long enough to become the Pointy Haired Boss.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

But the thrust of the joke is “actually stereotypes are true” which is not great even if you intended on being read at face value.
The joke is not “actually stereotypes are true”, but “‘alligators are dangerous’ is a fact, not a stereotype.” The artist is literally making a joke about the danger of anthropomorphic alligators. Taken out of the context of his known body of work, it could be seen as a dog whistle. Likewise, several Nazi Klurf comics are seemingly harmless without the context of his other strips.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ungulateman posted:

scott adams used to think gravity wasn't real because everything is just constantly doubling in size, making the space between them disappear, creating the illusion of gravity

And also that the sun would swallow every planet in like a day.

I remember being 10 and reading that and still thinking it was really loving stupid.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ungulateman posted:

https://www.insolitology.com/rloddities/dilbert.htm

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Trapezium Dave posted:

There were a bunch of branches of humour that in retrospect were huge tells, like the sexism, everything about Elbonia, or how the strip idolised Dogbert to an insane degree.

I remember Tina the Brittle Tech Writer, who thought every innocuous comment was sexist. Adams was confused that anyone could think she was a stereotype of women because his mom wasn't like that. While maybe she didn't represent "women" in general, she was a stereotype of feminists, even if that was unintentional.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Years before the Alt-right was a thing Adams was into some crank 'The Secret' type stuff where if you will yourself something it will happen. I remember reading part of one of his non-comic strip collection books as a kid and, following his advice, writing out "I will get an Xbox" 20 times on a sheet of paper, because Adams thought that you could will your consciousness to a parallel universe where you get what you want. Even then I felt silly doing it, but I figured since he was a successful adult who wrote funny comics it couldn't hurt. It's still embarrassing to remember, so I'm not sure why I'm telling hundreds of random strangers on the internet this.

Anyway it's funny how ultra-MRA Scott Adams completely bought into The Secret considering how the latter became (deservingly) a sort of straw-man for the worst aspects of white feminist self-empowerment grifting.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Christmas is a time for togetherness. A time for extending the hand of friendship to the disenfranchised... and indulging their maladjusted fantasies with the goal of recruiting them into your fascist movement.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Years before the Alt-right was a thing Adams was into some crank 'The Secret' type stuff where if you will yourself something it will happen. I remember reading part of one of his non-comic strip collection books as a kid and, following his advice, writing out "I will get an Xbox" 20 times on a sheet of paper, because Adams thought that you could will your consciousness to a parallel universe where you get what you want. Even then I felt silly doing it, but I figured since he was a successful adult who wrote funny comics it couldn't hurt. It's still embarrassing to remember, so I'm not sure why I'm telling hundreds of random strangers on the internet this.

Anyway it's funny how ultra-MRA Scott Adams completely bought into The Secret considering how the latter became (deservingly) a sort of straw-man for the worst aspects of white feminist self-empowerment grifting.

A previous time we discussed Adams a year or two ago, I was linked to a podcast review of God's Debris, and I liked it so much that I've now listened to every episode and give them $5/month on Patreon.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Did you get the Xbox?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

betaraywil posted:

It's a terrible take to say that the PBF guy is bad now because he didn't think enough like a Nazi to anticipate how a future Nazi would read his comic.

The comic is from February. This isn’t some pre-trump comic.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Ribbon not wrapped around a bucket of piss, 3/10.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Zesty posted:

It's this one.

this was it thanks!!!!!!!!! PM me if you'd like to get a Nib sticker in the mail

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

I was gonna call this a Good Ramirez right until I looked closer and saw that it was being blamed on generic "Politics" and not the one specific rear end in a top hat who made the decision.

Also like 80% of the words are superfluous.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Voyager I posted:

I was gonna call this a Good Ramirez right until I looked closer and saw that it was being blamed on generic "Politics" and not the one specific rear end in a top hat who made the decision.

Also like 80% of the words are superfluous.
Also also, love the declaration that Turkey is now allied with ISIS.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

I know the obvious reasons why this is a lovely comic, but lol that the black player also has 2 separate ways to easily get out of this situation as shown.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ther;e are three teams in Chess. Black player, White playre, and Troop........

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

gently caress off.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Also Turkey is on the same side as ISIS?

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Scott Adam's "The Secret" was included as an appendix to the "Dilbert Future" maybe. One of his 90s hardbacks in any case. It's entirely possible that the people who wrote the actual "The Secret" got the idea from him. At least chronologically, Scott Adams didn't invent writing down goals and hoping things happening.

The Tina the Brittle Tech Writer had a weird follow up. A one off strip which features Dilbert with an inexplicably flat tie.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Ther;e are three teams in Chess. Black player, White playre, and Troop........

White player and troop always gang up on black player

Working as intended

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im yoinking this from the waffle archaeology thread

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Throwing Turtles posted:

Scott Adam's "The Secret" was included as an appendix to the "Dilbert Future" maybe. One of his 90s hardbacks in any case. It's entirely possible that the people who wrote the actual "The Secret" got the idea from him. At least chronologically, Scott Adams didn't invent writing down goals and hoping things happening.

It's just affirmations, one of the oldest self-help tricks in the book.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Throwing Turtles posted:

The Tina the Brittle Tech Writer had a weird follow up. A one off strip which features Dilbert with an inexplicably flat tie.

And then he did a "What? I put in a woman that is the opposite of every stereotype I hold, and people yell at me for that, too! Just can't win with these wimmins, I tell ya."

It was around this part of the strip I started thinking what a tool he was.

Also, Dilberts tie is now flaccid, due to the non-stereotypical woman near him. Since she couldn't possibly be attractive without being a stereotype. Which says even more about Adams.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
You have it backwards, actually. The tie is going straight because he's aroused.

God I hate that I know this.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Whats the problem? Jesus is supposed to die.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It amazes me what a simple moron Gary McCoy is. This is seriously something a child would make.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If Winslow did either of those things you'd call him a dumb liberal.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

What a big, strong, manly hand it is that "Politics" has! And how extremely generic and neutral! It's definitely a deep state bipartisan thing, and not something that one individual decided pretty much alone to the astonishment and consternation of everyone else!

Kammat posted:

Also Turkey is on the same side as ISIS?

That part isn't really wrong. Turkey was glad to provide deniable support to Daesh and other jihadist groups as long as they were fighting in Syrian Kurdistan, because the most important thing for Turkey is that Kurds get killed. The best illustration of that was how the Turkish military closed the Syrian border all along Kurd-controlled zones, but not along Daesh-controlled zones. So Daesh was allowed to get reinforcements and to fund themselves by selling oil across the border; but the SDF are not.

Erdogan never publicly called Daesh his allies, but it's pretty clear he didn't mind them at all; and the groups that Turkey officially support are jihadists of the same ilk, just without the infamy.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

gently caress you, Scott Adams.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

neongrey posted:

You have it backwards, actually. The tie is going straight because he's aroused.

God I hate that I know this.

Yeah, Dilbert having a straight tie is a "secret" sign to his readers that Dilbert got that feeling. He use to say that it was a sign that Dilbert was no longer a virgin, but people got mad about that. I didn't think anything of the time, cause incels was a thing that didn't exist then... I think.

Reading the Dilbert Future book was so stupid, even as a dumb rear end kid, I thought he was an idiot cause his defense on most of his "thought experiments" was "I didn't understand the math you wrote, so I am right and you are wrong, hah, take that physics nerds."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The only thing I remember from the only Dilbert book I read was something about his TV remote control no longer working, so he dismantled it to find the cause, and in the end it turned out that the batteries were simply empty. The conclusion was that no matter how smart we are, we spend a lot of time being dumb.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ungulateman posted:

if there's anything sadder than a 60 year old precocious tween, I haven't found it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

nerd plus rage posted:

I know the obvious reasons why this is a lovely comic, but lol that the black player also has 2 separate ways to easily get out of this situation as shown.

Not only that, but is it even a check. The pawn is not threatening the king,.