Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Xanderkish posted:

I am fascinated by this. One the one hand, if we get more games like Hitman, I can't complain. On the other hand, from your descriptions, and the steam store page, this game feels like a besmirching of Hitman's good name.

It seems like these developers went in the more grungey grindhouse tone of Hitman Absolution. Just going off the pictures and trailer alone, this looks like a world where absolutely nobody is having a good time.

If you're looking for an interesting Hitman-alike which isn't total crap, Death to Spies (and the sequel) are essentially both Hitman 2: Silent Assassin but in WW2. They did some cool stuff years before Hitman did too, like specific guards being able to see through disguises. It's also incredibly Russian-janky, but then frankly so were the early Hitman games.
I think there's a newer one too but I've never played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Cerebulon posted:

I think there's a newer one too but I've never played it.
Alekhine's Gun. It's the one with a boiling infinite-capacity soup pot to hide bodies in in the level on the US carrier.
Also, it's the one where if people don't see you fire your gun they most likely don't realise it's you, even when you're standing it a room with several bodies.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

hosed up the ET (possibly because it's the season and I'd had most of a bottle of wine). He was in the building partly under construction doing his TV broadcasts and there's an enforcer inside, who turns around when he leaves the room, BUT you can't poison his glass of wine because a non-enforcer is looking. So I figured I'd just have to slowly eliminate all his bodyguards and for some reason thought if I shoved a dude off the balcony nobody would see... and when it degenerated into a gunfight another dude was standing in the way of him. Thought I might be able to regroup and pull it out of the fire but I got gunned down hiding in the grass across the village.

I really love these contracts, I can't think of anything else in single-player video games where you don't get a second chance. I wish they came out more than once a month or whatever it is.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
On the one hand I would say play with whatever makes you happy in terms of gameplay features. On the other, people who play with the minimap, instinct, detection meters all turned off are insane. The game is designed around those!

Obviously turn off UI bloat such as the save and difficulty icons though - I don't even know why they exist.

Fake edit: now that I've typed that, I imagine the difficulty one is there purely for streamers.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

freebooter posted:

hosed up the ET (possibly because it's the season and I'd had most of a bottle of wine). He was in the building partly under construction doing his TV broadcasts and there's an enforcer inside, who turns around when he leaves the room, BUT you can't poison his glass of wine because a non-enforcer is looking. So I figured I'd just have to slowly eliminate all his bodyguards and for some reason thought if I shoved a dude off the balcony nobody would see... and when it degenerated into a gunfight another dude was standing in the way of him. Thought I might be able to regroup and pull it out of the fire but I got gunned down hiding in the grass across the village.

I really love these contracts, I can't think of anything else in single-player video games where you don't get a second chance. I wish they came out more than once a month or whatever it is.

Do remember that you can restart if neither you or the target have been killed.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

To all those who are painstakingly taking out guards one by one to gain access to the wine glass, may I recommend learning the art of the Target Lockdown and mastering its ways

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

If the target is drinking the wine when you trigger the lockdown he drops the glass and it's gone until you restart.

You can toss a coin from the balcony down the stairs which forces the guard to leave, and the enforcer turns away from the glass again after the initial distraction.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

BBJoey posted:

To all those who are painstakingly taking out guards one by one to gain access to the wine glass, may I recommend learning the art of the Target Lockdown and mastering its ways

This is how I did it and it's hilarious, the pistol is the best distraction tool in the game.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I just waited for the guy to go outside with two guards, coined the last guard in the hut and poisoned the wine. Also learned that someone getting suspicious doesn't negate SA rank, thankfully. I can at least stop reloading each time that happens when going for SA now :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

BBJoey posted:

But is it silent?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

But is it silent?

Yes

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

But is it silent?

yeah its bottle of pills not a needle

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Nalesh posted:

This is how I did it and it's hilarious, the pistol is the best distraction tool in the game.
I used a bomb. If I'm sending a target into lockdown I thought I might just as well go all in.

smuh posted:

I just waited for the guy to go outside with two guards, coined the last guard in the hut and poisoned the wine. Also learned that someone getting suspicious doesn't negate SA rank, thankfully. I can at least stop reloading each time that happens when going for SA now :v:
That's a bug though, so don't get used to it.

Does anyone have tips to get SASO on Mumbai? I'm quite frankly stumped on how to properly accomplish it.

I can get 2 out of 3 on a good day. The director, whatever his name, is straight up pretty easy to get, not even worth talking about.

The Maelstrom is a bit janky as to his reaction, you can sent him into lockdown without learning his identy and then shoot him, but sometimes it doesn't work and sometimes he has guards who follow him into lockdown, and sometimes not.

I don't know a good way to get the woman you have to kill. You can get her out with the purple smoke, but she is followed by guards and an attendant, and I just can't get rid of all of them. I've tried loving with their AI and dropping guns that they collect but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and then I can't distract her assistant properly and so on.

There must be a straight and easy route to do this, and I just don't see it.

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 24, 2018

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

On the one hand I would say play with whatever makes you happy in terms of gameplay features. On the other, people who play with the minimap, instinct, detection meters all turned off are insane. The game is designed around those!

I find no minimap and no instinct makes it more immersive and tense, I played A House Built on Sand recently and had to dash about Marrakesh because I just lost my target, he disappeared into the crowd and I couldn't find him anywhere. I found him getting his fortune read. I can't imagine no detection meter being anything other than miserable, though. I do savescum a lot, Hitman is pretty much the only game where I won't get into a firefight if I'm spotted. It shows how good Hitman is that a lot of people play and enjoy it in a completely opposite way to others.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Lollerich posted:

Does anyone have tips to get SASO on Mumbai? I'm quite frankly stumped on how to properly accomplish it.

I can get 2 out of 3 on a good day. The director, whatever his name, is straight up pretty easy to get, not even worth talking about.

The Maelstrom is a bit janky as to his reaction, you can sent him into lockdown without learning his identy and then shoot him, but sometimes it doesn't work and sometimes he has guards who follow him into lockdown, and sometimes not.

I don't know a good way to get the woman you have to kill. You can get her out with the purple smoke, but she is followed by guards and an attendant, and I just can't get rid of all of them. I've tried loving with their AI and dropping guns that they collect but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and then I can't distract her assistant properly and so on.

Here's how I did it:
Equipment: Fish and lockpick
Fix the kashmerians scope so he'll actually hit the director, then run to the area where the actor dude goes to puke, dispose of the guard there, then toss the battery in the puddle in the small alley next to the bridge to take care of the maelstrom. Then head to the tracks and sneak around the far side into the room with the cameras, a pipe(it's on the right when you go through the window into the trainstation) in the other end of the traincar to make them look the other way, fish one person then throw the fish at the other. If you kept a decent pace you'll get there before the woman goes to freshen up and you can drown her there, if you missed her you can either restart or just wait for the cycle to repeat. Now with all the pieces in place I suggest you save, and then head to the tower to plant the paint for the artist
Another way I could see it done:
Knock out the kashmerian, get the dongle, put it in his laptop to figure out you can call the director. Then you just kill the woman the way as above, call the director, and drop the big pipe on their heads.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

For the maelstrom I just poison his drink then trigger the meeting with the woman on the hill. There’s a ladder you can shoot that takes you right to where you need to go.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
With Vanya, I took a remote taser, put it in the meditation pool and then fixed the water up on the roof. Be aware of the cameras up there. Then you can zap her in the pool.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I tossed a car battery into vanya's pool thingie that she uses on her normal patrol. Getting there requires a bit of sneaking around but it's doable.

An alternative for her is purple smoke, and when she gets to the rendez-vous shoot the kayak's wooden supports that's positioned above the waiting spot for the meeting

A third option is simply to follow the kashmirian mission story. It's a little tricky to do suit only but it's perfectly doable. And the kills count as accidents.

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 24, 2018

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Lollerich posted:

- Set it up so the other assassin kills 2 of the targets. Still counts towards SASO. (Fix the scope for the director, then find the missing paint color and put it in the artist's tool kit. Then find the laundry manager's notes so he'll go meet with Vanya on the bridge).
- For the Maelstrom, poison the wine in the backyard of his girlfriend, then raise the flag to signal him going to meet her (I usually shoot the flag button from far away).

qbert fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 24, 2018

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Any brick works for the smoke, so start Boat, go up the ladder and poison the wine, then climb up to the flagpole and raise it, grabbing the brick right there. Go down and set off the smoke, wait for Shah and Rangan to meet, drop the boat on them.

Alternately, drown Shah with the easy washing bin kill, then get the dongle and call in the contract. Kale and Rangan will meet in the construction barge area, drop a pipe on them.

Both easier and faster than setting up the kills for the Kashmirian, but that works too.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol if u don't use the train kill to get SASO on Mumbai. takes care of 2/3 of targets and the exit; the most efficient kill possible

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I could not have taken a worse path trying to find the ET. His picture or intro showed him walking down the dirt street from the docks, but walking around didn't reveal much except some flavor dialogue in the bar. I cleared out the big house with the cameras, went through nearly every building on that side of town (!) thought I was close since I saw that one building with the green screen and camera..., sneaked through the drug harvest area, cleared Every Floor in the mansion (and by cleared I mean knocking out everyone), cleared a couple hallways underground, sneaked through construction, wanted to give up but had to kill a person who saw me choking someone out so I don't know if that would have been enough to keep me out if I quit.

Yes, I finally looked in the last building since there was no point stopping at 99% exploration, but ffs. At least I got it. Maybe there were more audio clues I missed but I just threw on some music halfway through.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
This reminds me that I've never actually tried to take the Kashmirian's sniper rifle, can you do so if the Kashmirian suddenly becomes indisposed?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I wonder if it would be possible to get the Kashmirian to kill someone else.

Aug 24, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

This reminds me that I've never actually tried to take the Kashmirian's sniper rifle, can you do so if the Kashmirian suddenly becomes indisposed?

if you take his rifle then lure him into looking at it he'll go "poo poo, where's my rifle? i bet maelstrom did this" then he'll run and hide at the bus stop

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Discendo Vox posted:

I wonder if it would be possible to get the Kashmirian to kill someone else.

47, are those magazine cutouts of Robert and Sierra Knox? Playing the long game, I see.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

DalaranJ posted:

If you walk up to the back there's a prompt to adjust the scope, but toward the front you can just take it. Don't even have to KO the Kashmirian.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Lollerich posted:

I used a bomb. If I'm sending a target into lockdown I thought I might just as well go all in.

That's a bug though, so don't get used to it.

The Maelstrom is easy if you poison his wine and then activate the meet-me flag either your self or just triggering the event that takes like 15 minutes on its own or whatever. (sounds like this is the preferred method for easy SASO)

For Vanya, I painstakingly infiltrated her train yard, snuck to the rooftop (this took a lot of fussing with guards in the sauna area and then sniped the giant cage in front of her throne when she stands up.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 25, 2018

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

mary had a little clam posted:

For Vanya, I painstakingly infiltrated her train yard, snuck to the rooftop (this took a lot of fussing with guards in the sauna area and then sniped the giant cage in front of her throne when she stands up.

I also did Mumbai SASO and this is the exact way I did it, but I instead somehow messed up the explosive water heater opportunity which triggered her to go into lockdown, during which she briefly stopped alone under a different lamp I shot down. I didn’t have to mess with anyone in the building, but it was made way easier by knocking out everyone on the roof so I had free movement there.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the best order to get Santa Little Helper in the Holiday Heist. The guide I was following I was following got all the oens from Marv easily, but unless I go out of my way, I lose out on a item that Harry after. Plus grabbing that drat battle axe always pisses off everyone.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rirse posted:

What the best order to get Santa Little Helper in the Holiday Heist. The guide I was following I was following got all the oens from Marv easily, but unless I go out of my way, I lose out on a item that Harry after. Plus grabbing that drat battle axe always pisses off everyone.

To quote:

Start as an AV guy, grab the two things on the second floor, go to the basement, grab a security guard outfit so you can grab weapons without a fuss and get the items on that floor, then get the stuff from the first, then get the stuff from the third.

[...]

If you wait long enough for the two thieves to return empty-handed, they will go outside and stand next to a fountain that already has two propane tanks in it. You can blow those up no problem.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Start as crew, grab the fireworks remote and circumcision knife first. You can also grab a third floor security disguise as well. Take out that crew guy in the stairwell and stash the security guy in the stairwell as well. You can use this time to drag one of them down to the basement to that corpse dresser, but it makes timing tight. I dragged one down, stashed him, and then hit up the basement. Grab the apricot in the kitchen and the coconut from the break room. Stashing one of the people first, meant I had to shove the basement guy out of the way and grab the coconut while he was standing there. Then head back to the first floor. Being a suited security guy allows you to go everywhere on this floor. Grab the cannonball, the tank, the battle axe (no one cares if you have the axe as security) and the shuriken. Drop the battleaxe in the stairs you used before and head up. At this point, the other guy should be just about to coin the guys on the stairs. When he does, rush past him and sneak into the attic to grab those three items before he does. He takes a long time to get through there and back down, so you have plenty of time to drag the two aforementioned bodies down the the corpse cabinet. Pick up the axe and you should have all 12 items.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

mary had a little clam posted:

The Maelstrom is easy if you poison his wine and then activate the meet-me flag either your self or just triggering the event that takes like 15 minutes on its own or whatever. (sounds like this is the preferred method for easy SASO)

I took the really slow approach and set up both of the Kashmerian kills, then waited 57 years until the Maelstrom appeared in his hideout, and then shot him in the face.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lollerich posted:

I took the really slow approach and set up both of the Kashmerian kills, then waited 57 years until the Maelstrom appeared in his hideout, and then shot him in the face.

On my first run I did this, saved, found the Maelstrom as the Kashmirian, then reloaded and snuck in to get him for real. Tried to get him during the meeting but if you knock out the Kashmirian the Maelstrom instantly turns around no matter how far through his speech he is.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If you really want to kill Vanya Shah in her trainyard, it's way easier to go around the back, hop into the car where the evidence recorder is, and go out the back to her washing pool. Just wait in the bushes there and she's guaranteed to come in alone after hearing requests. Trying to get her with the water tank is vastly more effort. If you want you can set up a propane tank and explosive in the bushes so you don't have to wait on her, but that's a lot of effort. If you go in and out properly and pick locks along the way there should be no guards, so all you have to worry about is one camera and the servant lady who sometimes smokes outside.

Also if you weren't aware, you can exit Mumbai on the non-derailed train as it comes by from a public area. Neat, semi-obscure exit, but not that useful since it can take several minutes for a train to come by.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Note that you need to have the saber and the axe for the challenge to realize you got all of them, but as long as you've picked up and put down anything (like the axe or saber), Marv won't be able to steal it.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Well, that was an easy silent assassin elusive.

Brought in lethal pills and a coin, knocked out the mansion guard taking a piss and hid the body, dressed up as mansion guard, went to the house in the village the target was in, waited until he went out onto balcony, coined a guard down the stairs and poisoned his wine (the other guard is messing around in the cabinet, looking the other way).

Easier than Sean Bean, but I'm under the impression the target can spawn in other locations as well? Maybe not so easy if he's in one of those spots.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

Finally got all the classic challgenges (SASO/Sniper - Master), now I'm looking forward to doing all the little challenges on all the maps. :v:

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Rirse posted:

I know the AV start is the best per practically every guide. BUT, I personally do the kitchen start, knock out Marv at the tree, get the tech in the staircase, grab the remote, knock out Harry at the knife before he gets it.

From there it’s a cakewalk because both are knocked out and you don’t have to hurry at all to get the rest. No one goes in the downstairs room Marv starts in and if you knock out the VIP guy that room is left alone as well. Only tricky part is knocking out the tech and then VIP assistant(in the knife room) before they get it the way. And even then the margins are really light.

Edit: In short: challenge doesn’t require they are actively racing you to the items. Them being knocked out doesn’t count as being “dead” for the challenge.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

Retro42 posted:

I know the AV start is the best per practically every guide. BUT, I personally do the kitchen start, knock out Marv at the tree, get the tech in the staircase, grab the remote, knock out Harry at the knife before he gets it.

From there it’s a cakewalk because both are knocked out and you don’t have to hurry at all to get the rest. No one goes in the downstairs room Marv starts in and if you knock out the VIP guy that room is left alone as well. Only tricky part is knocking out the tech and then VIP assistant(in the knife room) before they get it the way. And even then the margins are really light.

Edit: In short: challenge doesn’t require they are actively racing you to the items. Them being knocked out doesn’t count as being “dead” for the challenge.

on the flip side i don't knock them out because you have ample time to get the items before they do and it takes them 15 minutes (while conscious) to do their rounds and make their way to the propanes