Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Hexyflexy posted:

Easy, make it so you have to contribute for NHS treatment in proportion to the assets you hold. With that being 0 at say sub 250k.

means testing is stupid and bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've never been to the UK but I understand that passports being brown instead of blue was some sort of breaking point.

ive been thru heathrow a few times, the ladies working the late shift said i couldn't chill in the terminal overnight and so i had to sleep badly on lovely benches in the main lobby with other sad souls

disstopia

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've never been to the UK but I understand that passports being brown instead of blue was some sort of breaking point.

Trump bootlicker and all round toad Nigel Farage made his final flourish before the vote a venom spitting monologue about how the first words at the top of a British Passport were "European Union" and here we are two and a half years later

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1076952646500712448

We will establish special trading relationships with countries in the Global South, under which they provide us with raw materials and cheap labour and in return we provide manufactured goods. This has never been tried before.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/thediyora/status/1076944962808246272?s=19

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

We will establish special trading relationships with countries in the Global South, under which they provide us with raw materials and cheap labour and in return we provide manufactured goods. This has never been tried before.

This could work if Britain still had manufacturing.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Dance Officer posted:

Do artisanal jams not count?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Dance Officer posted:

We still make flags

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Hexyflexy posted:

Easy, make it so you have to contribute for NHS treatment in proportion to the assets you hold. With that being 0 at say sub 250k.

does the £250k include your house? :ohdear:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dance Officer posted:

Innovative marmalades

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
the uk manufactures despair, but america is probably going to steal that to feed to their own industry too

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

tarbrush posted:

Do artisanal jams not count?

Can you make jam out of steel?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

I mean, fwiw, if salaries in the UK crash hard, they might actually attract some heavy industry.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
salaries for most of the country are already in the toilet and industry ain’t come back

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Remember when the Tories let one of the few remaining steel plants go bust instead of saving it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fallen Hamprince posted:

tbf not taking the resources at gunpoint is a new twist at least

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Yinlock posted:

tbf not taking the resources at gunpoint is a new twist at least

Our performance in Iraq ought to tell you why that is

the locals have guns this time

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Dance Officer posted:

I mean, fwiw, if salaries in the UK crash hard, they might actually attract some heavy industry.

Doubt it. New heavy industries tend to use robots rather than people

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1076593238671273985

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Are u guys worried that China is prepping huge huge shipments of opium?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Remember when the Tories let one of the few remaining steel plants go bust instead of saving it

In one of the poorest regions of the country as well. Which is why they let it go bust I guess. More houses to buy up and pad out those portfolios.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

Fentanyl is actually totally synthetic :science:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

tarbrush posted:

Doubt it. New heavy industries tend to use robots rather than people

China begs to differ.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Grape posted:

No.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Grape posted:

Who could worry when that much irony's on the cards

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

As a degenerate who would jump at the chance to become an opium addict I welcome it

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
British firms used to be the number one suppliers of :catdrugs:, maybe they'll bring those back after Brexit?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Opium is the only classy way to have an opiate addiction there are public dens for you to go get stoned in

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Why didn’t Britain, an English speaking empire not grow its GDP the way China did with the introduction of the internet?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Why didn’t Britain, an English speaking empire not grow its GDP the way China did with the introduction of the internet?

the way Ireland did is a better question

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Because trickle down doesn't work anywhere ever

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Brexit: There Is No Alternative

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Well I guess it's good that cat is finally out of the bag.

Now watch him support May's deal.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
If you actually read the article, he's still trying to thread the needle. But with catastrophe approaching it's gonna be harder and harder.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Fwiw I hope he whips his party into supporting the exit deal if it's looking like the Tories can't get it together. It's probably political suicide for him, possibly for Labour as a whole for a few elections, but it's far preferable to no deal Brexit starvation and mayhem.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Corbyn is just giving the party line from conference. Try get a Brexit that meets the six tests and if that’s impossible (It is) either cancel Brexit or have a new referendum.

That people are taking it as him going “I’ll back May’s Brexit it I have to” is just dumb

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Dance Officer posted:

Fwiw I hope he whips his party into supporting the exit deal if it's looking like the Tories can't get it together. It's probably political suicide for him, possibly for Labour as a whole for a few elections, but it's far preferable to no deal Brexit starvation and mayhem.

destroying the only left party in Britain would lead to far, far more suffering in the long term

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fans posted:

Corbyn is just giving the party line from conference. Try get a Brexit that meets the six tests and if that’s impossible (It is) either cancel Brexit or have a new referendum.

That people are taking it as him going “I’ll back May’s Brexit it I have to” is just dumb

the blairites would have taken anything he said as "i love terrorism"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also reminder that there is literally a section of government devoted solely to making GBS threads on jeremy corbyn

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1074301614410862592

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It is well funny that corbyn repeatedly says "I'll do Brexit I'm dead fuckin serious" and people are like "ahhh yeah but he's just joking" constantly lol

See him trying to "thread the needle" LMAO

If you support Corbyn you're gonna have to support him doing brexit stop kidding yourselves. Else it's just gonna be that much worse when he wins the GE then pushes it through anyway. Iv already made my peace with it.
Gimme that brexit garbage gently caress it. We deserve it.