Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Blockbuster also had Redbox style machines in grocery stores at one point, but if you blinked you probably missed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

'Being forced to buy full length albums killed the music industry'. How many people were buying albums just for one song? This is so strange to me. If the song is popular there's ususally a single, and that often comes with a few songs that won't be on any other albums. Also, if there's only one song on an album worth listening to, the artist probably isn't very good.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

also Singles existed long before the album as we know it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Not only that.

Making music has fixed costs.

If albums didn’t exist, singles would cost nearly the same as albums did. Artists still have to eat and executives still crave golden swimming pools.

Of all the sins the music industry is guilty of, pushing the album format is like jaywalking.

To put it in terms a GAMER would understand, cutting 90% of the quests from Skyrim wouldn’t have resulted in a six‐dollar game.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 04:01 on Dec 24, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I owed every Blockbuster I ever lived near $40.

Also I used to have their unlimited plan they launched in response to Netflix which was something like "$10 a month and just take whatever you want like it's a library"

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

PostNouveau posted:

I owed every Blockbuster I ever lived near $40.

Also I used to have their unlimited plan they launched in response to Netflix which was something like "$10 a month and just take whatever you want like it's a library"

Yeah, I don't remember the deal, but it was something like you could have several discs at a time via mail and also free rentals from the store. I think you could also return your mailed discs at a physical store and get free rentals, too. So if you had a 3-discs-at-a-time plan you could return all three at the store (the discs were immediately considered "returned" an they would immediately ship your next discs) and use one to get a free rental to watch until the next two came by mail a day or two later. I just remember thinking, "how the hell are they making money off me when I'm getting, like, 20-25 DVDs a month for $10 and no late fees?"

It was good while it lasted.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Former DILF posted:

also Singles existed long before the album as we know it

In fact the very word "album" refers to a collection of individual single records into an album.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

how the hell did people live even?? having to change the record every time a song ends????

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Senor Dog posted:

how the hell did people live even?? having to change the record every time a song ends????

recorded music is very new and we are privileged to live in a world where you don't have to listen to some drunk gently caress at the bar strum a lute if you want tunes

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Senor Dog posted:

early on whole families would just sit and just listen to the music together, which I find weird

no ironing or another useful task at the same time dammit

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
imagine paying for music every time you listen to music. what a sad life

feller
Jul 5, 2006

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

recorded music is very new and we are privileged to live in a world where you don't have to listen to some drunk gently caress at the bar strum a lute if you want tunes

imagine having to get up to change the record 800 times when you're just tryna smoke a bowl and play some madden. barbaric

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Senor Dog posted:

imagine having to play some madden. barbaric

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Senor Dog posted:

A Savage and backwards era

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

It's kinda funny how you can always pick the South out in these kinds of maps

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

sounds weird to count public universities as private employers

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

It's kinda funny how you can always pick the South out in these kinds of maps

There's a picture I saw a long time ago that was just an MS paint drawing of the US, with the south colored in red, and a legend showing that red was "BAD STUFF"

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Pirate Radar posted:

Maybe all those states would otherwise be walmart.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

Blockbuster literally almost imploded because they at one point, in order to compete with Netflix/Redbox stopped charging late fees. Not to long after their collective soiled underwear was changed, they began to impliment various 'restocking' fees which of course were just late fees++ which they eventually got sued for. Blockbuster is always going to be one of the icons of 'how not to deal with online competition'

nah, the end of late fees was always "No late fees, but we sell you the media after x days, you can return that for a refund (minus 5 buck restocking fee) within y days." I worked at blockbuster when they rolled it out. Their plan before digital streaming was to be a loss leader. Every other brick and mortar store would have to drop late fees too and suffer -and they had much bigger coffers since at that time Hollywood Video was the only other chain and it was going out of business and they launched their own netflix-esque service. This was when netflix was still mail only. So their big value add was coupons for free in store rentals, and if you dropped off a mailed in movie in store you could get a free in store rental while you waited for the next stuff in your queue to get mailed in.

By the time streaming was viable they kinda saw the writing on the wall and were just looking to sell off Blockbuster as an IP and escape with golden parachutes.

Pirate Radar posted:

not when they're run like a business instead of a public service :eng99:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

rental yield in california is complete dog poo poo despite the rents themselves being high because the property prices are so leveraged
yah but someone is getting a shitload of yield from that leverage

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Coolness Averted posted:

nah, the end of late fees was always "No late fees, but we sell you the media after x days, you can return that for a refund (minus 5 buck restocking fee) within y days." I worked at blockbuster when they rolled it out. Their plan before digital streaming was to be a loss leader. Every other brick and mortar store would have to drop late fees too and suffer -and they had much bigger coffers since at that time Hollywood Video was the only other chain and it was going out of business and they launched their own netflix-esque service. This was when netflix was still mail only. So their big value add was coupons for free in store rentals, and if you dropped off a mailed in movie in store you could get a free in store rental while you waited for the next stuff in your queue to get mailed in.

By the time streaming was viable they kinda saw the writing on the wall and were just looking to sell off Blockbuster as an IP and escape with golden parachutes.

not when they're run like a business instead of a public service :eng99:

I love the switch to even offline classes being based around online coursework. It let's them charge more but employ less faculty which means administration gets to take home even more money.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

This also sums up why spending on healthcare in the US must remain high in order to maintain the economy; it is simply the chosen sector the US decided to use to distribute money to Americans.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Imagined posted:

In fact the very word "album" refers to a collection of individual single records into an album.

Yes, it is funny to imagine that these practicalities added up to the formation of what we understand to be albums in the sense of collections of songs recorded by artists explicitly grouped together in an initial release on any nunber of media, almost always with an accompanying visual component. Then we value these things and they loom large in our brains and bleed in together with all these experiences we have had while listening to them. Its art cum commodity cum art cum commodity

Cum

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
The fact that Netflix was able to have a library of every DVD ever made was probably the biggest kick in the balls to blockbuster. Blockbuster always had these giant shelves set up with several inches of white space in between each title and they could have fit like 10 times as much content if they had organized it better. (Of course then they'd have to pay for and manage it for each store, instead of a centralized warehouse)

The no late fees and the convenience of sifting through a library online instead of driving to a store was icing on the cake.

They also had competition eventually from GameFly hitting them on video games. I rented secret of mana like 4 weekends in a row and some douche would always delete the save files before I could finish it. I understand this was a problem fixed by memory cards and later, attachable hard drives but it's pretty loving infuriating when your 12 years old and only have the weekend to SNES binge.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If Blockbuster had had the means and intent to keep a serious inventory, they could have organised like actual libraries, floor to ceiling shelves, spines out, aisles as narrow as ADA allows.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Nastier Nate posted:

The fact that Netflix was able to have a library of every DVD ever made was probably the biggest kick in the balls to blockbuster. Blockbuster always had these giant shelves set up with several inches of white space in between each title and they could have fit like 10 times as much content if they had organized it better. (Of course then they'd have to pay for and manage it for each store, instead of a centralized warehouse)

The no late fees and the convenience of sifting through a library online instead of driving to a store was icing on the cake.

They also had competition eventually from GameFly hitting them on video games. I rented secret of mana like 4 weekends in a row and some douche would always delete the save files before I could finish it. I understand this was a problem fixed by memory cards and later, attachable hard drives but it's pretty loving infuriating when your 12 years old and only have the weekend to SNES binge.

The last time I ever set foot in a Blockbuster, I wanted to rent a copy of the The Big Lebowski and not only did they not have it in stock, they couldn't look it up to tell me if they could ever get it in and none of the employees had actually even heard of it. But god help us if they didn't have 40 copies of Pootie Tang.

In fact I just googled to check my memory/dates as it seemed like there was no way copies of Pootie Tang could have been on store shelves at the same time Netflix was a thing but turns out 2002 did in fact exist.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CheesyDog posted:

The last time I ever set foot in a Blockbuster, I wanted to rent a copy of the The Big Lebowski and not only did they not have it in stock, they couldn't look it up to tell me if they could ever get it in and none of the employees had actually even heard of it. But god help us if they didn't have 40 copies of Pootie Tang.

In fact I just googled to check my memory/dates as it seemed like there was no way copies of Pootie Tang could have been on store shelves at the same time Netflix was a thing but turns out 2002 did in fact exist.

I remember getting it from Netflix in 07 that movie was a thing

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Len posted:

I remember getting it from Netflix in 07 that movie was a thing

And written (and directed) by Louis CK...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i worked at blockbuster for a summer and it seemed they always misread the market and understocked a lot of movies that people wanted. there was a movie with natalie portman and scarlett johanssen about english royals which just from that description you knew it was going to be flying off the shelves but the store only had like 5 copies that were always rented out and they never bought any more to fill the demand

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
i used gamefly to rent a couple dozen ps2 games that weren't available at the local rental places to copy to my softmodded ps2.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sears could have been the Amazon of today and Blockbuster the Netflix. it’s like stepping into an episode of Sliders

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Senor Dog posted:

You just did it? When I was young I had my own lovely plastic kids record player with a whole stack of Disney singles and that's just what you did, swap em out. Sitting on the floor with all your records and player was an experience.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

You just did it? When I was young I had my own lovely plastic kids record player with a whole stack of Disney singles and that's just what you did, swap em out. Sitting on the floor with all your records and player was an experience.

woah incredible

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBC6xPvkBF8

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pirate Radar posted:

also they're trying to cut out the state government when they do this because a lotta the time they're the #1 employer and we can't have that

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

George H.W. oval office posted:

Sears could have been the Amazon of today and Blockbuster the Netflix. it’s like stepping into an episode of Sliders

Sears loving was Amazon back in the day. Literally Amazon's entire loving concept is "what if the sears catalog but online :2bong: "

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
considering amazon gets massive government subsidies and doesn't actually make anything they're actually more like The Hudson's Bay Company

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Just saw a commercial for Goodwill that was literally "you may donate because you have class guilt or don't want to pay taxes, but have you considered that it actualy helps people?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lol
goodwill is cool because it lets people get weird stuff that in a lot of cases would have otherwise end up in a landfill
but in reality charity is actually just a cruel perpetuation of the environment that lets poverty exist