Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

I should mention I have also been faithfully reading Schlock Mercenary for a decade as well, and I lost track of what is actually going on years ago.

Am I...am I a bad reader?:ohdear:

If nothing else I respect Howard Tayler for his workman's ethic and he does a reasonable job of acquitting himself on Writing Excuse, so you are forgiven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I should mention I have also been faithfully reading Schlock Mercenary for a decade as well, and I lost track of what is actually going on years ago.
Same. One of the character's changed hair colors and I thought she was a completely new character for 5 years, but it didn't really affect my reading of the story, so....

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dawgstar posted:

It's... it's mostly talking heads with some backgrounds.

I mean, it's pretty funny, although frankly at this point I think the most egregious thing of all about Dark Science is that I still have no idea what it's about.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

SardonicTyrant posted:

This is me, too. I enjoy the comic for the consistency even though at times it can be hard to tell just how many plot threads are currently active, and what the stakes are for each.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Slashrat posted:

This is me, too. I enjoy the comic for the consistency even though at times it can be hard to tell just how many plot threads are currently active

You can't count a fluid

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Howard Taylor is also one of, like...actually I can’t think of any other major genre fiction Mormon authors who have not let their faith take over their work somehow.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Howard Taylor is also one of, like...actually I can’t think of any other major genre fiction Mormon authors who have not let their faith take over their work somehow.

Brandon Sanderson and Dan Wells, Tayler's other Writing Excuses regular hosts have also managed to keep their religion in check when writing about various topics.

Early WE episodes though have been a clearing house of "oh... dear" guest authors who've turned out to be awful people who they've quietly disowned (Larry Corriea, hello).

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

SardonicTyrant posted:

Nah, Schlock Mercenary's ability to explain what the gently caress is happening stopped being adequate for the scale of the story some arcs after Longshoreman of the Apocalypse.
Still read it every day, mind you.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Nah, Schlock Mercenary's ability to explain what the gently caress is happening stopped being adequate for the scale of the story some arcs after Longshoreman of the Apocalypse.
Still read it every day, mind you.

Oh, good, I’m not the only one who’s completely lost the plot...

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

pseudorandom name posted:

Oh, good, I’m not the only one who’s completely lost the plot...

Shlock's plot: some things happen. Someone realizes a new worst case scenario they didn't anticipate. That thing happens.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The gist of it that I'm holding onto currently is that galactic extinction seems to have been occurring over multiple cycles now, either at the hands of the Dark Matter entities in Andromeda or simply because galactic society's capacity to kill itself exceeds its ability to control as it gets closer to the singularity. A few societies seem to have cheated this in past cycles by sealing themselves into simulations inside star-powered dyson shell computers and scrubbing all evidence of their existence from the galaxy.

..and the current cycle has just recently mastered two key technologies marking the singularity (long guns and immortality), so a history graduate turned fast-food worker has been tasked with figuring out how to leverage a mercenary company to prevent extinction this time around.

Oh, and dinosaurs on Earth apparently formed a society capable of radio transmissions by the time they were wiped out by an asteroid accidentally redirected toward it by somebody's computer-star passing through the solar system.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I did not see that twist coming!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:yikes:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

I had to go check to make sure it was an edit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cat Mattress posted:

I did not see that twist coming!

Stop humoring Bravest.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
humor me instead

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

PMush Perfect posted:

Stop humoring Bravest.

Strong agree.
Especially as he wanders from comic to comic plying his uninspired edits.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

https://twitter.com/benshootsthings/status/1077230167158870016

Merry Christmahanakwanzika, everyone!

EDIT: Dang, how do you embed tweets again?

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 25, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

https://twitter.com/benshootsthings/status/1077230167158870016

Merry Christmahanakwanzika, everyone!

EDIT: Dang, how do you embed tweets again?

Ahem, it's called Winter-een-mas.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

TwoPair posted:

Man my parents sure were furious with me for wearing my Church of Gaming vestments and mitre to Midnight Mass last year, but after the scene I made during the liturgy I think they've learned to respect my religion

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

TwoPair posted:

gently caress, now I am ashamed. Have this rare SFW Oglaf as absolution:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That's from Eegra, there's more to it.

https://twitter.com/univbee/status/1077236580383899653?s=19

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I got another longshot request for a forgotten comic. It's pretty short-form and might be from a 24-hour comic day. The artist shows a semi-autobiographical scene from his childhood while on a vacation, having a pretty bad time. I think his parents were having an argument on the car ride over or were just in a bad mood about something he did. It's all pretty vague in the way things are when you're young and don't completely understand the world your parents live in, but you still know that things are bad. Late at night he wanders out to the beach to blow off some steam and he meets another kid on vacation. They talk and play for a bit before she up and runs off into the night while he tries to catch up. Last page is her turning around and standing small against a pitch black page to sorta break the fourth wall and say something like "You're gonna spend the rest of your life looking for me" directly to the person drawing the comic. It doesn't pull back to show the artist or anything, I think, it just ends there. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 25, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think that's XKCD.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Rand Brittain posted:

I think that's XKCD.

This jogged some memories but I don't think it was what they were talking about

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TwoPair posted:

QC is webcomic Garfield. Pretty much everybody read it at some point before getting tired of it, it's never offensive enough for anyone to take it out of their bookmarks, and, and every now and then you get maybe a chuckle from it. Also JJ basically never misses an update, throwing up a sketch or something on days he doesn't get a full page up.
Except Garfield never went fully insane, abandoning its premise in favor of a very confusing science fiction story presumably focused on Odie.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You're right, I too would prefer fifteen years of music hipster jokes from a man pushing 40.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PMush Perfect posted:

You're right, I too would prefer fifteen years of music hipster jokes from a man pushing 40.

Couldn't be worse than zany monkeycheese robots.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
qc was always a little zany

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zany monkey-cheese robots was like the very first arc of QC. JJ must have eventually realised that was the one interesting part of his setting and made the comic focus on them more.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

A merry christmas to all of you grumps. I grew up reading this thread, and as such, it shaped me, and of course, I disagree with most of you... but I met some lovely people here too! So happy saturnus and christbrith and don't let hate mutate your perspective. Love y'all!!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

FactsAreUseless posted:

Except Garfield never went fully insane, abandoning its premise in favor of a very confusing science fiction story presumably focused on Odie.
Even I remember the original plot of the comic ; it was about Guy wanting to bone Girl With Issues. Now the pilot's advanced, and people are boning other people with issues.

I guess the indie music jokes disappeared at some point?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

SardonicTyrant posted:

Even I remember the original plot of the comic ; it was about Guy wanting to bone Girl With Issues. Now the pilot's advanced, and people are boning other people with issues.

I guess the indie music jokes disappeared at some point?

oh dang. repping https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHOPTVBFpgM

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Couldn't be worse than zany monkeycheese robots.
Pintsize shows up in literally the first strip.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i suspect part of the wackiness is sorta meant to be like a nonhorrifying take on ais that can come out the creation process w minds heavily alien to ours but i cheerfully admit that i may be reading this deeper than the author

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

the way you all complain about jeph jaques kind of confirms his brilliance to me. I've never read his comic, but I respect ever it he is doing. apparently people care.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rip lucy

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

hell astro course posted:

the way you all complain about jeph jaques kind of confirms his brilliance to me. I've never read his comic, but I respect ever it he is doing. apparently people care.

Merry Christmas and a happy goon year

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

i have bad news for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
wubcem