Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Mako’s jump jets were 100% useless because they fired in the direction the vehicle’s top was pointed and so could do nothing other than remove your wheels from the ground. If you had any elevation it would invariably throw you back down the hill a good distance.

I did love driving around on giant heightmaps, though, so much that I fell for it all over again when I discovered doing it in custom-built rovers in KSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Heavy Metal posted:

I'd just like to say, and yes I saw Bumblebee in theaters on Friday night, Stan Bush's The Touch is a drat fine song. Transformers the movie (1986) is a masterpiece of film. Lo Wang in that mediocre game sung the song, and it was featured in Bumblebee as a little easter egg. But it's not a laughing matter. It's just drat good music. There's nothing funny about The Touch by Stan Bush. It's like going into a museum and laughing at the Mona Lisa. Happy Holidays, fraggers.

what the heck is this post

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Heavy Metal posted:

I'd just like to say, and yes I saw Bumblebee in theaters on Friday night, Stan Bush's The Touch is a drat fine song. Transformers the movie (1986) is a masterpiece of film. Lo Wang in that mediocre game sung the song, and it was featured in Bumblebee as a little easter egg. But it's not a laughing matter. It's just drat good music. There's nothing funny about The Touch by Stan Bush. It's like going into a museum and laughing at the Mona Lisa. Happy Holidays, fraggers.

The 80s Transformers cartoon was truly amazing. I miss 80s animation. And you, mister Heavy Metal, should of all people recognize my avatar.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

chaosapiant posted:

The 80s Transformers cartoon was truly amazing. I miss 80s animation. And you, mister Heavy Metal, should of all people recognize my avatar.

Oh man, is it from Heavy Metal (1981)? Something that happened on He-Man they don't talk about anymore? Ralph Bakshi? I should know this, I did too much Dew in the early 2000s

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Wasn't there a Far Cry game or something with a scripted sequence that used the The Touch or am I just thinking of Saint's Row 4?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Heavy Metal posted:

Oh man, is it from Heavy Metal (1981)? Something that happened on He-Man they don't talk about anymore? Ralph Bakshi? I should know this, I did too much Dew in the early 2000s

1981 Heavy Metal! 🤘

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Uh this isn't an early FPS but does anyone want a GOG key for Fantasy General, I got one free when I bought the Soldier of Fortune games (1&2 anyway) but I already own it.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Flannelette posted:

Many console FPS/TPS after halo had one.

i can think of games i played in the 2000s with cars, yes; i was talking more about "reviewers dinging games for not having vehicle segments after halo" and this giving rise to substandard vehicle segments in video games.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Nice job, TerminusEst13!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qEHK4iBiXc

https://terminusest13.itch.io/hellshots-golf

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

chaosapiant posted:

1981 Heavy Metal! 🤘

Good Nyborg! I wish there were more Heavy Metal inspired mods/games, last I checked the only suggestions were ZanZan and FAKK2, and last I checked ZanZan was broken in recent GZDooms. Well, there was Karnak, that was pretty awesome.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Doesn't reuse the Neo Turf Masters main theme, what a scam.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Doom mods will never stop surprising me :stare:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/ProdeusGame/status/1072250214835195904

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cool, now give me a hotkey that makes it so I don't have to squint at my screen.

E: I keep coming down on this game but that's because I love what they're showing outside of the pseudo-retro vaseline filter. Still think it's a crutch.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 24, 2018

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mordja posted:

Cool, now give me a hotkey that makes it so I don't have to squint at my screen.

E: I keep coming down on this game but that's because I love what they're showing outside of the pseudo-retro vaseline filter. Still think it's a crutch.

It's kinda weird that I think the game looks more impressive in a dev environment where you can actually appreciate the time put into the art of the enemies. I could not see that at all with their game trailer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

From the guy who brought you roomscale Doom VR, it’s Quake VR with motion controls!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamVR/comments/a814kr/quake_vr_with_motion_controls/?st=JQ1QED66&sh=7c31f7f6

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Ularg posted:

It's kinda weird that I think the game looks more impressive in a dev environment where you can actually appreciate the time put into the art of the enemies. I could not see that at all with their game trailer.

Something about the enemy sprites remind me of Diablo 2 and I like it. That pixelization filter is still awful though

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Doesn't reuse the Neo Turf Masters main theme, what a scam.

An interesting little tidbit: Neo Geo music uses .vgz as its format, like Genesis does.
But while GZDoom supports Genesis' .vgz, Neo Geo's .vgz is pure silence.

It's likely just formatted a different way, but what a loving shame. There's so much really good Neo Geo music out there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

KoF music rocks mighty hard, the arranged CD versions are cool too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TerminusEst13 posted:

An interesting little tidbit: Neo Geo music uses .vgz as its format, like Genesis does.

It's likely just formatted a different way, but what a loving shame. There's so much really good Neo Geo music out there.

VGZ files are VGM-format containers inside a gZip file for compression. VGM format in turn packs up the instructions recorded as being sent to a given console's sound chipset, and then your player needs to have emulation of each different console's sound hardware in order to play back.

So seems like the GZDoom supplied VGM player hasn't included the Neo Geo Yamaha sound chip implementation yet. That's probably something a plugin could handle though.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ohhh they're cheating and not using proper pre-made 2D graphics from 3d models but rendering them in 3D then taking a projection on the fly (still a cool look though, minus the filter).
Hope they leave the 3d/2d switch in the full game for fun.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TerminusEst13 posted:

The Game Music Library version used in GZDoom needs to be updated for non-Master System/Genesis stuff to work, but it's apparently not as easy as just plugging the new code in (I think it needs to be adapted from a Foobar plugin?) so it keeps getting pushed aside and forgotten about.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Flannelette posted:

Ohhh they're cheating and not using proper pre-made 2D graphics from 3d models but rendering them in 3D then taking a projection on the fly (still a cool look though, minus the filter).
Hope they leave the 3d/2d switch in the full game for fun.

Probably. Something tells me you'll be able to modify the pixelization filter in the final game, as well (sort of like Dusk).

Although something else tells me you won't be able to get rid of it entirely.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Finally finished DUSK and... man, I have to say that it really seemed like the third episode tried its best to ruin the game for me, especially with the later levels. Fortunately, it failed, which says more about how good the rest of the game was than anything else.

This is something I'm sure reasonable people will disagree on, but for me the game was at its best when it was legit trying to be Quake 1 meets Blood (which it was VERY good at). Unfortunately, whenever it tried to do a spatial orientation puzzle, or an arena with wave after wave of spawning enemies, or a deathmatch-bot-style boss fight, it would take me right out of that happy place. I'd add "Doom 3 style darkness gimmicks" to that list of crimes but that would frankly be an insult to Doom 3, which was much better than DUSK at (1) letting you actually see decently when the flashlight was on, and (2) only taking the flashlight away in a level where you didn't actually need it to navigate properly.

Ep 1 and 2 were mostly great. Ep 3 was great at the beginning when it was simply trying to be Quake-style eldritch environments instead of zany gimmicks, and again at the end with the true final boss, which reminded me a lot of Chthon (in a good way).

Also, An unholy altar! Shoot it repeatedly! :haw:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
DUSK definitely has a problem with trying to force you to play the game through a small zoomed-in oval in the middle of your screen at times. When will video game developers realize that putting you in actual pitch-black darkness is not fun unless the game is appropriately slow paced for it?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Games forcing your vision to be a small cone of a flash light just gives me eye strain and makes my head hurt for some reason. It's why I can't snipe for poo poo in games that use a fullscreen scope.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Those sections were always so short and barely had any combat in them, they were just about building the horror. I never had a problem with them and they were over in a couple minutes. :shrug:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ularg posted:

Games forcing your vision to be a small cone of a flash light just gives me eye strain and makes my head hurt for some reason. It's why I can't snipe for poo poo in games that use a fullscreen scope.

I bet it's for similar (or even the same) reasons that people get headaches when playing FPS games at a low FOV.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

That's a crying shame because it's a treasure trove of amazing music, yeah.

I'll just have to turn the ingame music off and listen to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwUv27oB4f4

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

TNT-Evilution.jpg

(from imx-doomer's tumblr. follow him for good shtuff)

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I think you'll find that fits Plutonia far better than it does TNT :colbert:

(although TNT does have Stronghold, which easily fits that description with its general hitscanner hell).

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

One big gripe I have with DUSK is that while yeah, Hulshult killed with the music like he always does, it was implemented kinda poorly. Out of nowhere, a song would start blasting incredibly loud and you'd just get to hear it for like twenty seconds before you killed all the enemies.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone know if there's a way to increase the text and HUD size in Soldier of Fortune 1? I'm using SOF Plus if that helps. At 1080p it's practically unreadable :stare:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

catlord posted:

Good Nyborg! I wish there were more Heavy Metal inspired mods/games, last I checked the only suggestions were ZanZan and FAKK2, and last I checked ZanZan was broken in recent GZDooms. Well, there was Karnak, that was pretty awesome.

I never played FAKK2, was it any good? It was a 3rd person game right? I also never saw the Heavy Metal sequel "Heavy Metal 2000." I heard it wasn't as good as the original. The original was good because I saw it as a kid and was blown away. Wonder how it holds up now.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Looks like they've done it again!

https://twitter.com/DickWhitehouse/status/1077227171482021889

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Anyone have the data for Columbine High School?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How does one even begin to even think of something like this, let alone develop it?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
After 25 years someone finally managed to surpass the original Doom box art

:wtc:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

chaosapiant posted:

How does one even begin to even think of something like this, let alone develop it?

You come up with a stupid pun doing something else, the pun won’t leave your mind, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mierenneuker posted:

You come up with a stupid pun doing something else, the pun won’t leave your mind, etc.

Doomba.