Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I hoped they'd drop the franchise itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wheat Loaf posted:

McLean Stevenson leaving MASH and the characters hearing over the radio that his character's helicopter was shot down over the South China Sea with absolutely, positively, no questions about it no survivors.

The furor over that death was so bad that Carol Burnett filmed a joke spot with the actor in a dinghy going "I'm alright! :) "

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU3QGyBY5-c

This is pretty spot-on if you're on the fence about seeing Aquaman

It's funny that we just discussed becoming a psycho slave to monsters that make you try to force everyone to see bad things and then you post this.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Someone managed to write that without the barest hint of Depp’s history

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I applaud this for moral reasons, but I've also got to suspect that this is an attempt by Disney to land a death blow on the already-struggling Harry Potter franchise - which frankly makes me applaud it even more.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's funny that we just discussed becoming a psycho slave to monsters that make you try to force everyone to see bad things and then you post this.

nice

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

21 Muns posted:

I applaud this for moral reasons, but I've also got to suspect that this is an attempt by Disney to land a death blow on the already-struggling Harry Potter franchise - which frankly makes me applaud it even more.

Why wouldnt they want competition to keep wasting money on failures?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's a mercy killing, those British Jim Parsons prequels are loving dire

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

got any sevens posted:

Why would i watch a 30 min review before a 2.5 hour film

"Review" is a bit generous.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Guy Mann posted:

"Review" is a bit generous.

It’s a review, it’s not a plot synopsis but it definitely is a review.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mary Poppins Returns really isn't that sad. There's really not much doubt they'll keep the house. Ben Whishaw looks silly as a father because my only exposure to him is as Q. If you want something to rip apart your soul a bit then watch Christopher Robin.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
It should be a bannable offense to post links to RLM “content” of any kind.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You could not be a child. Theoretically

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The pop tart prostitute killer man isn't even part of the conversation around the prequels anymore, time to let one gross youtuber die

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

bows1 posted:

It should be bannable to dislike them imo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bows1 posted:

lmao, I don't get this sentiment at all. If they don't produce content, what the gently caress do you think they produce? They aren't my favorite content creators ever and I don't think they're the end all be all when it comes to film critics or anything, but it obviously takes work to put together the videos they put out and not just anyone could do what they do. Not everyone has their knowledge of the film industry/access to and passion for a wide array of obscure movies/sense of humor/etc.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CelticPredator posted:

It should be bannable to dislike them imo.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mameluke posted:

The pop tart prostitute killer man isn't even part of the conversation around the prequels anymore, time to let one gross youtuber die

Lol they have nearly a million subscribers

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

Lol they have nearly a million subscribers

Pewdiepie has way more, let's post some of him. Popularity as quality aren't always a 1:1 link.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

Pewdiepie has way more, let's post some of him. Popularity as quality aren't always a 1:1 link.

This is a movie forum so we're better off posting trailers from T-Series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xlZqxU7aM8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsyLcnQMC_c

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 25, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

Lol hit a sore spot there

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
RLM was pretty spot on about Aquaman, if not succinct.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dren posted:

RLM was pretty spot on about Aquaman, if not succinct.

Not really, for a lot of it they clearly has no idea what they were talking about. Like they said this was obviously the studio trying to react to the failure of Justice league when this was mostly finished shooting before Justice league even came out and had no major reshoots. They talked about how it was so awkward because it was trying to set up an extended universe, but it was completely stand alone and had really nothing to do with the other movies and had no real sequel hooks (cause they crammed it all in one movie). Every suggestion or punch up they had was completely hackneyed. They seemed mostly offended the movie would dare to not make fun of itself at all times. Their worst suggestions were that the action scenes should have gone to a shopping mall, which they for some reason they just brought up over and over again. Apparently a waterfall is gritty and dark, Snyder esque somehow.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t remember anything about an extended universe being mentioned or the justice league being brought up.

Hackneyed is personal opinion so there isn’t much to do with that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They said it was a reaction to the last movie just like Justice league and Wonder woman were a reaction to Batman v Superman (which is only half right because Wonder Woman was also largely the same product before and after BvS)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m not sure why bother repeating your claim I heard you the first time

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol hit a sore spot there

Not really? I just don't think RLM are very good. Popular, yes, but not great. Cinemasins has 8.2 million subs. Would you argue they are good due to that?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

bows1 posted:

GBS deserves the RLM thread and vice versa.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like rlm content a lot except their half in the bags. It's their worst show. Re:view, best of the worst, scientist man, nerd crew, are all usually pretty fun.

Half in the Bag they're just cynical no fun havers who only care that things fit an approved storytelling formula they read in film school. They come off like that joke character in Adaptation.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

RLM is primarily based around comedy while CD is very no-nonsense serious discussion about film so it makes sense they don't mix

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

RLM is primarily based around comedy while CD is very no-nonsense serious discussion about film so it makes sense they don't mix

This subforum is not unfamiliar with nonsense.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I like rlm content a lot except their half in the bags. It's their worst show. Re:view, best of the worst, scientist man, nerd crew, are all usually pretty fun.

Half in the Bag they're just cynical no fun havers who only care that things fit an approved storytelling formula they read in film school. They come off like that joke character in Adaptation.
That's not true. They love several movies! They just also dislike a lot too.

Sometimes I disagree with their assessment of a movie, but this one I can get down with because Aquaman did nothing to wow me. It was better than other DC movies, sure, but so what? That's not a high bar to clear.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Not really, for a lot of it they clearly has no idea what they were talking about. Like they said this was obviously the studio trying to react to the failure of Justice league when this was mostly finished shooting before Justice league even came out and had no major reshoots. They talked about how it was so awkward because it was trying to set up an extended universe, but it was completely stand alone and had really nothing to do with the other movies and had no real sequel hooks (cause they crammed it all in one movie). Every suggestion or punch up they had was completely hackneyed. They seemed mostly offended the movie would dare to not make fun of itself at all times. Their worst suggestions were that the action scenes should have gone to a shopping mall, which they for some reason they just brought up over and over again. Apparently a waterfall is gritty and dark, Snyder esque somehow.

That’s fair. When I said they were mostly spot on I was reacting to:
* Amber Heard and Jason Momoa not having chemistry (that pee joke really sucked any hope of chemistry out of that scene)
* There being too many action scenes, and that the action scenes did not all drive the story forward
* Overall, the CG was really good and worked
* The “kingdom of the trenches” scenes were cool and horror inspired

I thought their review was mostly positive with them vamping unecessarily for like 15 minutes. Kinda what they critiqued Aquaman for.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
There's a crippling irony that the guys who built a tiny media empire out of making fun of George Lucas for vanishing up his own rear end in a top hat after surrounding himself with yes-men now make a living off of producing hours of vacuous empty content that is rabidly and uncritically defended by a fanbase so toxic that even GBS eventually banned them.

Now all we need is for someone to make a three hour video of a cartoon rapist explaining how objectively terrible they are a decade after the fact to complete the cycle.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Guy Mann posted:

There's a crippling irony that the guys who built a tiny media empire out of making fun of George Lucas for vanishing up his own rear end in a top hat after surrounding himself with yes-men now make a living off of producing hours of vacuous empty content that is rabidly and uncritically defended by a fanbase so toxic that even GBS eventually banned them.

Now all we need is for someone to make a three hour video of a cartoon rapist explaining how objectively terrible they are a decade after the fact to complete the cycle.

...George?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Rich Evan owns.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vince MechMahon posted:

Excellent job of proving you can’t follow a discussion. Read the post I was quoting and try again.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody cites their talking points about shot reverse shot or how Qui-Gon is stern or pizza bagels anymore and they haven't really issued any interesting criticisms of any other movies in the last 5 years imo

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Like most of the video youtube they just pump out too many hours of stuff so quickly there isn't any time for depth, I don't pay attention to them enough any more to know if they are like all the other junk that pops up in the sidebars that are all mysteriously a few seconds over a multiple of 10 minutes long, almost as if it is all done for algorithms and not for having something interesting to say....

But at least they aren't Nostalgia Critic level screaming at the camera then shooting a gun at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I remember when Ebert passed on, there was the obvious 'who will take up his mantle?' discussion. Somebody made a very prescient post about how no one can, because every online critic is too in love with their gimmick to be able to just write (or talk) about film the way Ebert could, and I'd say, as a general statement, that's pretty true.