Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Mef989 posted:

Looks like you decided not to bother with the flying bases ... I'm probably going to steal this.

Those flying bases are the goddamn worst. I have another Dark Imperium box in the future, and I don't know if I even want to build the drat Inceptors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

TheBigAristotle posted:

Those flying bases are the goddamn worst. I have another Dark Imperium box in the future, and I don't know if I even want to build the drat Inceptors

DI inceptors are about 3x better to assemble, as everybody who's done both would know. The multi part kits aren't even that pose-able, other than arm rotation and head swaps.

I've also gone for the ice-skating look on mine too; just need to highlight some intercessors and they're next on the docket.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
After literally over a year of checking ebay bits sales, I finally just picked up the full-size boneswords* needed to finish my custom Swarmlord. Just in time for his much needed points cut!

*at a non ridiculous price

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
How did this get made

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

xtothez posted:

After literally over a year of checking ebay bits sales, I finally just picked up the full-size boneswords* needed to finish my custom Swarmlord. Just in time for his much needed points cut!

*at a non ridiculous price

I love the old fw hive tyrant, great job

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

DI inceptors are about 3x better to assemble, as everybody who's done both would know. The multi part kits aren't even that pose-able, other than arm rotation and head swaps.

I've also gone for the ice-skating look on mine too; just need to highlight some intercessors and they're next on the docket.

drat, I was annoyed enough assembling my first DI squad

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

goodness posted:

How did this get made

A great deal of time and effort didn't go into Yiffguard Glomp Tailplug.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's not a scenic base. They painted the gate.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

As much as I find the Heavy Bolter/Power axe combo :black101: as gently caress the more I look at it the more I can't get over the fact that the face paintjob is kinda substandard.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cooked Auto posted:

As much as I find the Heavy Bolter/Power axe combo :black101: as gently caress the more I look at it the more I can't get over the fact that the face paintjob is kinda substandard.

The proportions on the torso armor is... brutal.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
He looks like fat bastard

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The floating head looks like he should be granting Pee-Wee's wishes from a television cabinet.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is there somewhere I can read up on what rules for GSC were in the Vigilus book?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
That dude's head is hosed up, but I like the model otherwise.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Harvey Mantaco posted:

He looks like fat bastard

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Ok so that actually makes it look better

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Played three games with the beta codex. I have many words.

Penitent Engines:

Penitent engines are good. Get one in on the right target and it's amazing. Killed two knights by softening them up with an exorcist and charging with the engine, and was definitely the MVP of my first game.

I went into the games thinking they'd be too fragile but good if I could actually make it to a high value target, and while that's true, I got a LOT of mileage out of that 5+ FNP. They don't degrade so if you make it into combat with a big juicy target with only 1 wound left, it will probably earn its points back.

I was talking with someone at the store about how exciting it was and they were like "I don't get it, it's just a dreadnaught?" Please take a moment to realize how excited you would be if you never had dreadnaught equivalents before.

Anyway, compared to the standard dreadnaught, I think it compares quite favorably - that double attack is good, and the heavy flamers, while not terribly useful offensively, help protect it a little from charges. (YMMV with this, but I find a lot of people locally are terrified of charging into flamers more than they statistically warrant)

I tried taking a preacher for the extra attack, but found myself outdistancing it. I feel like this would only work if you were able to always advance the preacher and not the engine, or you were using the engine more defensively whereas I was always trying to push it into my opponents face.

Acts of Faith:

Playing as Our Martyred Lady I found myself swimming in faith. I had 51 infantry models, so 5+3=8 starting faith points.

OML is every unit that is destroyed, which includes transports and single characters. Playing MSU, you're going to get a lot of small units blown up.

Some of the acts of faith are going to be used relatively rarely: Namely the anti-smite act, and The Passion (fight twice.) For two different reasons: the anti-psyker one is niche and meh, whereas the passion requires a fair bit of setup because there's a really limited number of units you even want in melee.

The others, (+1 to hit shooting, heal, +3 move) are more like smaller bonuses that you can piecemeal out when you have free faith to burn.

I was tossing the +1 to hit on whatever unit was firing and the heal on whatever unit was closest to losing a special weapon every turn.

Overall, acts of faith were, I hate to say it, mostly useless to me. BUT a lot of that was due to luck and my error, and I can already see the mistakes I made and how to get more out of it. The two biggest uses were using Vessel of the Emperor's Will to negate the Exorcist's heavy penalty (more below) and using Hand of the Emperor on a canoness to get her in charge range, then the passion to make her fight twice with the blade of admonition. This was, not to toot my own horn, a very clever strategic move that resulted in zero wounds thanks to the dice.

Bubbles:

Can't talk about acts of faith without talking about bubbles.

Sisters got a lot of synergies in this update that encourage stacking, and in turn, seem to encourage bubbles. Isn't there someone who was complaining about the term "bubbles" in 40k. Boy, just stop reading now I guess.

Lets talk about some of the things one can stack:
- Celestine improves invulnerable saves by 1
- Warlord Trait: Indomitable Belief improves invulnerable saves by 1
- Stratagem: Sacred Banner of the Order Militant improves invulnerable saves by 1

Indomitable Belief specifically improves the 6++ to a 5++, and is order locked

It can be extended to 9" with the Book of St. Lucius.

The banner only affects the unit with the banner, and Celestine affects everyone.

This creates an expanding circle of invulnerability with a 3+ on one unit, 4+ in a 6" radius and 5+ in a 9" radius. At some point, I am going to deploy in the open in a big cluster and see if I can just invuln tank the first wave.

Given the strength of invuln saves, I am going to have a hard time justifying anything else but this warlord trait. (Some of the others are downright garbage.)

These abilities, in my opinion, the single greatest improvement to the codex not just because of the strength of auras and invulns in general, but because there's finally some intracodex synergy.

Also I've never played a faction that really made use of this so I'm floundering a bit trying to figure out how to maintain these bubbles while running around the board trying to capture objectives and such. (Which is the point of the new missions, really.)

Then there's the big stratagem elephant in the room: Vessel of the Emperor's Will:

This also clearly synergizes with auras, and is what really makes Ebon Chalice appealing over the other faith based orders, since it's about getting that act off at the right time, rather than quantity.

Two things to note about it:
1. It says Adepta Sororitas units - not just ones that have the Acts of Faith ability*, which includes Exorcists as well as things that don't matter because they aren't Exorcists.

BIG DUMB IDIOT ALERT:
this is incorrect
2. It is itself an aura, so it works with Book of St. Lucius

* I don't know if this is intended or not

So if you are running a canoness organ parking lot, you can drop this and get +1 to hit on 3 exorcists OR (and this is what I mostly used it for) negate the -1 to hit for re-positioning.

The issue with pulling off combos like this is you need to
1: Setup your bubbles correctly, like any other faction
2: Get the act of faith off on the turn you need it

Which if you're talking about something like The Passion, can be dicey proposition if you don't conveniently happen to have a unit with a standard and a dialogus near your multi-unit melee pile.

In short, I feel like Vessel of the Empreror's Wrath can be a game-winning, faction defining ability, but you really need the right setup and circumstances to make it be worth its 3CP cost.

Blessed Bolts
I didn't get as much mileage out of this as I was hoping, but that was due to my opponents. Stormbolters tear through cultists as is, and still wound knights on 6s, so I didn't really have a good testing ground. I'll post the math on it when I clean up my spreadsheets, but it seems like it'll really shine against Primaris & Friends because it effectively holds the same offensive slot as plasma would.

In my next few games I plan on using the Ebon Chalice rules and trying to go for more decisive big-combo faith uses.

Giant Isopod fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 24, 2018

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This must be the first non primaris sculpt they've done for loyalists since 8th dropped...

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
What's the actual text for the Book of St. Lucius? Stratagems don't typically qualify for increases in range because even though they may affect a unit with an ability like that they're not a property of that unit.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Strobe posted:

What's the actual text for the Book of St. Lucius? Stratagems don't typically qualify for increases in range because even though they may affect a unit with an ability like that they're not a property of that unit.

You may well be right, I have no idea.

e: I have a feeling vessel of the emperor's will is going to be a major topic in a FAQ soon.

Giant Isopod fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 24, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yeah, that will unfortunately not pump up the stratagem's range because even though it has a range it's not the bearer's ability.

Still both good relic and good strat though.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Eifert Posting posted:

This must be the first non primaris sculpt they've done for loyalists since 8th dropped...

Huh? It's 30k first of all, and they've done plenty of other loyalist stuff since 8th. They literally just put out new blood angels stuff...

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Do you all have any tips for selling warhammer stuff online? Does well painted items actually sell for more? I'm wondering if i should be stripping poorly painted stuff, how much to put in each listing to make it worthwhile given shipping costs, if it's a bad idea to put small things in padded envelopes. Is ebay the best market for this? Anything unexpected you found out?

I'm a canuck, there's not much local market and I'll probably be selling mostly to the u.s.

(Btw thanks for clarifying those rules questions I asked a couple of pages ago - appreciated! Missed that somehow.)

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Giant Isopod posted:

Played three games with the beta codex. I have many words.

Best post in this thread in months. I appreciate the effort and feedback. It's good to know the acts are pretty minor but can be helpful. They seem like guard orders.

What did you play against in your games? What were you using? What would you edit now that you've had some games?

I want to play sisters so bad, I'm probably going to get a recast army after vegas and go hog wild. They get to be mechanized imperium which is my favorite thing.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Looks like WD's getting a revamp next month.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Pentient Engines are good an live to see combat. It really is a Christmas Miracle.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Do you all have any tips for selling warhammer stuff online? Does well painted items actually sell for more? I'm wondering if i should be stripping poorly painted stuff, how much to put in each listing to make it worthwhile given shipping costs, if it's a bad idea to put small things in padded envelopes. Is ebay the best market for this? Anything unexpected you found out?

I'm a canuck, there's not much local market and I'll probably be selling mostly to the u.s.

(Btw thanks for clarifying those rules questions I asked a couple of pages ago - appreciated! Missed that somehow.)

Some tips since I have a bad binge and sell habit.

1. Facebook buy/sell groups are a good alternative to eBay.

2. Stripped miniatures will sell far better than painted stuff with very few exceptions.

3. I can see a complete army with an average paintjob in a standard scheme selling for retail or a slight markup (?10%)

4. If you can paint to at least low display quality then you might be able to sell your painted stuff at a markup. Even then you aren't going to get a lot unless you're using a standard scheme. There will be random whales out there that can take a liking to your scheme and pay crazy money, but it's going to take a while.

5. Flat items - plastic on sprue, metal minis etc can travel pretty well in padded envelopes, especially if well padded. My experience is UK Royal Mail though, so YMMV. Do not send assembled items via padded envelopes, they won't survive.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Some tips since I have a bad binge and sell habit.

1. Facebook buy/sell groups are a good alternative to eBay.

2. Stripped miniatures will sell far better than painted stuff with very few exceptions.

3. I can see a complete army with an average paintjob in a standard scheme selling for retail or a slight markup (?10%)

4. If you can paint to at least low display quality then you might be able to sell your painted stuff at a markup. Even then you aren't going to get a lot unless you're using a standard scheme. There will be random whales out there that can take a liking to your scheme and pay crazy money, but it's going to take a while.

5. Flat items - plastic on sprue, metal minis etc can travel pretty well in padded envelopes, especially if well padded. My experience is UK Royal Mail though, so YMMV. Do not send assembled items via padded envelopes, they won't survive.

Thanks handsome.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Naramyth posted:

Best post in this thread in months. I appreciate the effort and feedback. It's good to know the acts are pretty minor but can be helpful. They seem like guard orders.

What did you play against in your games? What were you using? What would you edit now that you've had some games?

I want to play sisters so bad, I'm probably going to get a recast army after vegas and go hog wild. They get to be mechanized imperium which is my favorite thing.

My list was, roughly (1750 points):
Battalion, Martyed Lady
3x Battle Sister squads, x2 meltaguns
Canoness
Canoness (Warlord: Indomitable Belief) /w Book of St. Lucius
2x Dominions /w 5x Storm bolters & Simulacrum, in Immolators
1x Dominions /w 5x Meltas in Repressor (no point in simulacrum in the repressor)

Spearhead, Martyed Lady
Celestine
Geminae
2x Exorcist
1x Penitent Engine
1x Retributor squad w/ heavy bolters and simulacrum

Vanguard, Bloody Rose
Canoness /w Blade of Admonition
Hospitaller
Dialogus
Preacher

This list was based mostly on what I had painted, and I wanted to try a cross section of everything.

The hospitaller isn't worth the points, but I wanted a very small detachment for the bloody rose, and elite slots are hard to fill. Might try celestians with the bloody rose canoness, but I need some way to mark them as a different order.
I also want to try dual melee canonesses by giving the bloody rose one an eviscerator to take more advantage of the +1 str, and play more agressively.

Between heavy bolters, exorcists, and penitent engines there's a lot of competition for the heavy slots as they are all good.

I need to figure out what I am doing with my troops, as I have them as basically melta teams with a couple ablative wounds, but with no transports, meh.

Next time I'll be using Ebon Chalice rules.

My opponents were: CSM, Traitor Knights /w CSM, and Tau.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Thanks handsome.

Forgot one last point.

Check up what the cheapest local discounter is, and how much the item you're selling would cost + shipping. That's your absolute max total sale price for something which is brand new unassembled.

Poorly painted stuff - 25% retail at most if it's salvageable
Stripped/Undercoated stuff - if built well/unbuilt probably about 50-75% retail (assuming a base discount of 15-20% for retailers)
BNIB stuff -Up to a buck or two off the max sale price.

Obviously rare/OOP stuff goes a bit differently but you'll have to figure out how much those are worth.

Check eBay last-solds for an idea of price.

Warmahordes stuff is worthless.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Second attempt at my gunner conversion. Instead of being the Icarus Autocannon dude, I decided to have him man the shoulder heavy stubber which I had never bothered to model. I feel the stubber is sized more appropriately. Tomorrow after all the Christmas stuff I hope to have time to paint him up.

To make this, I have parts from a Wyvern gunner, some Y-shaped log bit from somewhere, an ammo belt from a GSC sprue, and the hand controls from two old catachan HWTs. Oh and the reticle from an ork big shoota I think- can’t remember but some Goon suggested it- thanks!

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I never tire of seeing your beastmen stuff. 11/10

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Giant Isopod posted:

You may well be right, I have no idea.

e: I have a feeling vessel of the emperor's will is going to be a major topic in a FAQ soon.

Here's what I would say - don't get too hung up on anything in the Beta Codex in the CA2018. Much of it is already going through revision and changing. Even some of the core mechanics... I can't really say more than that. But please don't think it is anywhere near the final version.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Ghost Hand posted:

Here's what I would say - don't get too hung up on anything in the Beta Codex in the CA2018. Much of it is already going through revision and changing. Even some of the core mechanics... I can't really say more than that. But please don't think it is anywhere near the final version.

They asked for feedback so by god I am going to bury them in it

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Eifert Posting posted:

So my (insert adjective here)bois rode again today

-Very briefly-

I had a game lined up w/ a local who plays custodes, we had decided on 1000 points prior since it's what I had but we changed it up to 1200 to accommodate his contempter lookalike he had just gotten. I had no problem with that since I had the models handy, I threw in a primaris squad, whirlwind and a few assault marines to shore up the numbers. We tried the data mission from chapter approved.

My boys, add a whirlwhind

Terrain was really well done, Haven't played on many GW standard tables, old gaming store was cut foam core and lovely flock. Went well with my paint and his

We rolled the deployment where everyone has to just be as far away from the center of the board as possible, diagonal from edge to edge, which was unlucky for me. I tried to space my boys out so that there would be a tempting target to steamroll in the center, with the idea I'd pick off his wings and win on objectives, I figured his list would definitely get into combat on a 4x4 with this deployment so I was just hoping to snag a lot of points.

Deployments:

I love the color scheme and paint job on your marines.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Giant Isopod posted:

They asked for feedback so by god I am going to bury them in it

Absolutely do it.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Spent the day painting up my First Company Captain in Gravis Armor.

I also finally based my Guilliman.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
That's a really good looking smurf Zuul!
Great job on Daddy Smurf's base as well.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/searchResults?N=4221696349+2950365987

So the Vostroyan made to order is up.

ok, that's fine.

I know that I'm :australia: but what the actual gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Lmao at that pricing, just lmao