Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

SimonCat posted:

The United States has spent billions building infrastructure in Afghanistan.

https://www.usaid.gov/afghanistan/infrastructure

Aren’t we contributing to reconstruction in Mosul and Raqqah, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CherryCola posted:

Aren’t we contributing to reconstruction in Mosul and Raqqah, too?

Solely a token raqqa is not going to be rebuilt like ever. The kurds may give the outward appearance of helping the raqqa communitybut thats necause thibgs are shaky and the kurds dont need any more 4th gen elements tearing up the countryside

But what people arent talking about is the fact that the us now exports oil.
We spent hard cash for a ring road and a pipeline etc rememberr the peace pipeline? Lol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/02/23/world/asia/afghanistan-pipeline-tapi.amp.html

Notice the article is from 10 months ago so i doubt completion will ever happen.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 22, 2018

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
https://twitter.com/elintnews/status/1076274067886559234?s=21

I wonder how true this is

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SimonCat posted:

I'm no in a position to judge if it's been worthwhile, but to say that the US hasn't tried to build some infrastructure is inaccurate. I really don't know what a successful plan would be short of instituting the type of direct colonial rule the US is accused of doing. I'm not advocating for that, I've seen first hand that we're not accomplishing much in Afghanistan against the Taliban, but I don't think that trying to run the country through proxies works.

Running the country through proxies work, when you're Pakistan and your proxies are the Taliban.

CherryCola posted:

quote:

#UPDATE: Reports that the Syrian Army will be handed control of Manbij in northern Syria in the coming hours
--@ELINTNews

That's the best thing they can possibly do in their situation. Give all the land on the Turkish border to the Syrian regime. It's either that or the Turks and their pet jihadists.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Manbij is also the place where it’s been suggested Turkey is most likely to invade, I don’t think Erdogan was planning to push across all of Northern Syria at once. It was the place Erdogan was specifically pushing Trump to pull US forces from when he decided to leave Syria completely.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Their only friends are Kataib Hezbollah.

https://twitter.com/Bosni94/status/1076532491140374529

Brett McGurk resigned

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brett-mcgurk-top-u-s-envoy-in-isis-fight-to-quit/

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Running the country through proxies work, when you're Pakistan and your proxies are the Taliban.

That's the best thing they can possibly do in their situation. Give all the land on the Turkish border to the Syrian regime. It's either that or the Turks and their pet jihadists.
[/quote]

I wonder what happens with Kobane.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Probably some regime integration like reconciled rebels. If it shakes out like that.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

quote:

Deputy Defence Secretary Patrick Shanahan has been appointed acting Pentagon chief, President Donald Trump has announced.

The move follows the resignation of James Mattis, who hinted at policy differences with Mr Trump when he stepped down on Friday.

General Mattis, 68, said the president had the right to appoint someone "whose views are better aligned with yours".

Mr Shanahan will take over on 1 January, an earlier date than expected.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46668260

Mattis isn't even staying on until February, he's out in a week.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/VivaRevolt/stat...ingawful.com%2F

I'd probably take that deal.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Surely the Russians will want nothing in return...

But yeah, probably better than what Turkey will do which they are going to do quickly apparently:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/23/turkey-masses-troops-near-kurdish-held-town-in-northern-syria

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The withdrawal has gone from immediate to "slow & highly coordinated".
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1076884984873607169

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Count Roland posted:

coordinating with Turkey so they can invade at their convenience is probably not an improvement

hail Putin, defender of ethnic minorities, I guess :saddowns:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
So the pull out is slow now? Trump is such a pathetic follower.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/AlanSipress/status/1076916003496513536

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Count Roland posted:

It sounds like a Turkish-US rapprochement is being pushed at the heart of this policy. Of course the issue is trying to flip-flop between the Saudis and Turkey without gaining any real leverage on either one.

(Also Turkey is in rough shape economically and it is going to be hit hard in the coming year.)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ardennes posted:

It sounds like a Turkish-US rapprochement is being pushed at the heart of this policy. Of course the issue is trying to flip-flop between the Saudis and Turkey without gaining any real leverage on either one.

(Also Turkey is in rough shape economically and it is going to be hit hard in the coming year.)

What is this statement based on? Maybe I don't understand what you mean by "this policy," but the withdrawal from Syria seems less about rapprochement with Turkey and more about how Trump sees US troops in the region as a liability with no little upside. It's a flip away from Saudi Arabia insofar as the US and Saudi generally work together on containing Iran but I don't think troops in Syria gives America leverage over Saudi Arabia.

He's switched to saying the pullout will be "slow and highly coordinated" because people tell him that sounds better, and maybe the Generals talked him into slowing down at least to improve the logistics.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Ardennes posted:

It sounds like a Turkish-US rapprochement is being pushed at the heart of this policy.

That's one way to describe a green light for Kurdish ethnic cleansing.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Squalid posted:

What is this statement based on? Maybe I don't understand what you mean by "this policy," but the withdrawal from Syria seems less about rapprochement with Turkey and more about how Trump sees US troops in the region as a liability with no little upside. It's a flip away from Saudi Arabia insofar as the US and Saudi generally work together on containing Iran but I don't think troops in Syria gives America leverage over Saudi Arabia.

He's switched to saying the pullout will be "slow and highly coordinated" because people tell him that sounds better, and maybe the Generals talked him into slowing down at least to improve the logistics.

This policy being backing off the sanctions we were hitting Turkey with in August (remember that?) and giving them what they always wanted which is control over the Northern Syrian border. Also, for Trump, it could be both that he sees little upside in protecting the Kurds versus appeasing Turkey and the fact that US troops obviously aren't putting pressure on SAA supply lines they were supposed to.

The "highly coordinated" remark is just another Trumpism, but it is clear there is some type of pivot going on here.

Grape posted:

I mean it is pretty much the same thing...that said it isn't the first or twelveth time that the US has turned its back on the Turks killing Kurds en masse.

Admittedly, it is also sending a message to the Saudis (not that they care about Kurds), that the US will be willing to play each side off each other including promoting shale to put more pressure on Riyadh.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 23, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Dunno how long it'll last after the US actually pull out, but this is nice:

https://twitter.com/MHJournalist/status/1076934445351997443

https://twitter.com/MHJournalist/status/1076940388479524864

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Ardennes posted:

There is no grand strategy here. Bolton approached Trump about expanding the military presence in Syria and instead Trump, acting on impulse, ordered a complete withdrawal without consulting his advisers.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Goodguy France!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Grape posted:

My thoughts exactly.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Fallen Hamprince posted:

There is no grand strategy here. Bolton approached Trump about expanding the military presence in Syria and instead Trump, acting on impulse, ordered a complete withdrawal without consulting his advisers.

I don't think this can be overstated enough. I mean...I know this thread is p much *the* place to speculate what each side is aiming for and such, but Trump is a very WYSIWYG kinda guy once you learn to look at his earliest and first impulse decision and remember that it's all about his most basest and egotistical needs. He is literally Joffrey from Game of Thrones getting hit by a cow pie, then screaming on impulse to find the man who did that and quickly upgrading it to 'Kill them all!' while we're the peasant rabble that speculate if he actually meant a 'show of force' or 'stern leadership' by that, but no...he was just a spoiled brat who got mad and threw a tantrum that got people killed, like usual.

It's for the exact same reason that I thought: "Hmm...maybe he wants Mattis to be replaced well before his proposed date, so as to expedite US troop withdrawal for his buddy Erdogan?" and then I remembered that he doesn't have even that much foresight. Instead it's the simpler reason: "He's privately pissed off at his resignation and wants a yes-man to replace him ASAP."

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 24, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
And then people talk like we're supposed to give Trump credit for ending the wars as if he didn't make his decisions on a whim and won't change them on a whim.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

chances of manpads being left behind are about zero, noone wants ISIS (or whoever) to get their hands on a stockpile.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1077207396328574976?s=19

It's done.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Assad is liquidating all his prisons.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sergg posted:

Assad is liquidating all his prisons.

Is this actually a breaking story, or is it that Syria is big in the news again so papers are publishing stories they've been working on, while the spotlight is already on?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Count Roland posted:

Is this actually a breaking story, or is it that Syria is big in the news again so papers are publishing stories they've been working on, while the spotlight is already on?

Yes it is a new story that he has recently greatly picked up the pace of executions. There's a few reasons why he might be (from needing the space for a new wave, to finally feeling like there is zero threat of the world intervening against any scale of crime, to the likelihood that he's trying to free up manpower for the eventual showdown with Turkey).

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, I don't think Al-Qaeda and ISIS have the right to be considered political prisoners.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

svenkatesh posted:

Yeah, I don't think Al-Qaeda and ISIS have the right to be considered political prisoners.

Or get access to lawyers who might make "arguments" like "there's no evidence this person is Al-Qaeda or ISIS."

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Or get access to lawyers who might make "arguments" like "there's no evidence this person is Al-Qaeda or ISIS."

At least Assad gives them their day in court.

ISIS and Al-Qaeda decapitate civilians for not having good enough beards (for men) or showing too much ankle (for women).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

svenkatesh posted:

ISIS and Al-Qaeda decapitate civilians for not having good enough beards (for men) or showing too much ankle (for women).

I think the concern here is maybe all these people aren't AQ or ISIS members....

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

svenkatesh posted:

It's one thing to say 'at least he's not Al Qaeda or ISIS' as a reason for the US not to invade and overthrow him. It's another to use it to say actually mass murder is fine.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

svenkatesh posted:

Lmao if by day in court you mean a 30 second show trial as a final humiliation to people who may not even by Aq or ISIS at all

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

svenkatesh posted:

https://twitter.com/sergwalden/status/917139103803756544?s=21

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

svenkatesh posted:

What an amazing loving take. Yeah Assad definitely doesn't disappear people who oppose him and then turn them to ash.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m a bit surprised Assad is bothering with show trials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m a bit surprised Assad is bothering with show trials
I am not. Show trials are by nature conducted for propagandistic purposes. And it works considering the insane following
quote:

svenkatesh posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)