Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BUG JUG posted:

He's not all alone. There are at least three ghosts coming to visit him tonight.

It's gonna be GHWB, the 8 year old girl he killed with a drone strike, and Gritty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m sorry how much in debt is the average household?

The nation has a spending disorder.

credit cards arent the problem

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Come on 2019, I'm not gonna lie down and die that easy. You're gonna have to make me ride this country into the dirt.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Everybody's favorite Senator With A Perm Who Gets In Slapfights With His Neighbor done lost his mind on the Twitter:

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1076928042616918017

That's the first of like 10-12 Festivus Tweets he made in that thread.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

Buying items on credit you don’t need to survive is dumb.

There are a bunch of reasons why this isn't true.

Edit: Many which were immediately brought up. :downs:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s literally what NICS is for right?

I for one can't wait to be added to the no-fly list because Mastercard thinks no honest man needs 500 rounds of .22lr!

Meanwhile the military can't be bothered to file the paperwork to make sure their wife beating psychopaths can't pass a background check.

Nobody is gonna buy 30 guns and go shoot up a school while carrying them all around like an overloaded RPG character. You only need one to carry out a mass shooting. Just more poo poo that doesn't actually do anything to save lives. If you want to actually have a meaningful effect then make sure domestic abusers can't get access to firearms and more heavily regulate pistols.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

most gun deaths are because of handguns but mass shooters are the only gun violence that has a chance of happening to rich white people because good high schools aren't immune to it

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

my kinda ape posted:

I for one can't wait to be added to the no-fly list because Mastercard thinks no honest man needs 500 rounds of .22lr!

Meanwhile the military can't be bothered to file the paperwork to make sure their wife beating psychopaths can't pass a background check.

Nobody is gonna buy 30 guns and go shoot up a school while carrying them all around like an overloaded RPG character. You only need one to carry out a mass shooting. Just more poo poo that doesn't actually do anything to save lives. If you want to actually have a meaningful effect then make sure domestic abusers can't get access to firearms and more heavily regulate pistols.

The Vegas shooter being a way-out-there outlier.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

my kinda ape posted:

Why not both.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m sorry how much in debt is the average household?

The nation has a spending disorder.

Well we can't all marry rich but for the rest of us there's extended warranties on credit cards.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 24, 2018

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

https://twitter.com/kevinspacey/status/1077263549326651392?s=21

I’m not sure what the hell I just watched, but he also got charged with felony sexual assault today

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Retardog posted:

https://twitter.com/kevinspacey/status/1077263549326651392?s=21

I’m not sure what the hell I just watched, but he also got charged with felony sexual assault today

That's too weird for me to even try watching.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fallom posted:

Well we can't all marry rich but for the rest of us there's extended warranties on credit cards.

Buying guns/toys on credit and not paying them off immediately is bad.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hexyflexy posted:

That's too weird for me to even try watching.

I on the other hand couldn't turn away and watched the whole thing. It may be the weirdest thing I've seen this year and I think we can agree that means a lot.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

spacey is starting to look his age lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Buying guns/toys on credit and not paying them off immediately is bad.

Yeah paying the cards off every month is the key. I think some people think buying on credit means carrying a balance for the next 6 months, which doesn't have to be the case. You get all the advantages of buying with credit even if you pay off your balance immediately.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I rarely use my credit card because my parents enstilled a fear of debt into me which has yet to leave my brain. I had to put a decent chunk of change down on it and it's taken me almost 2 months to get it paid off.

It's literally the biggest thing these days that kept me up at night. I hate debt in any shape or form even know I completely understand that it's completely normal to have certain debts such as a mortagage, car, school..

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nice and hot piss posted:

I rarely use my credit card because my parents enstilled a fear of debt into me which has yet to leave my brain. I had to put a decent chunk of change down on it and it's taken me almost 2 months to get it paid off.

It's literally the biggest thing these days that kept me up at night. I hate debt in any shape or form even know I completely understand that it's completely normal to have certain debts such as a mortagage, car, school..

My parents were the same way. I think it's because boomers and Gen Xers were the materialist generation who subsidized their love of stuff with massive amounts of debt in the form of credit cards and home equity lines of credit. So they simultaneously preached the evils of too much debt while continuing to take on more.

Now they ask me how I can afford to go on all of these vacations and somehow think I'm massively in debt when I tell them it's through credit card points. The reality is I just use my credit cards for normal expenses and pay them off each month. I think there was one charge that I decided to carry for a few months due to some other expenses and I wound up paying a whopping $17 of interest on it.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 24, 2018

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Fallom posted:

Yeah paying the cards off every month is the key. I think some people think buying on credit means carrying a balance for the next 6 months, which doesn't have to be the case. You get all the advantages of buying with credit even if you pay off your balance immediately.

Yeah this is what I do. I basically stand by the "live off of last months income" practice, and it's honestly one of the best pieces of finacial advice ever passed down to me. That and Max out your employers 401K match.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My dad always had the dad joke at the ready when he was asked "cash or card", and he'd say "put it on the credit card, I'll pay for it next month, hurr hurr hurr".

And the fucker did, every single month. So now I do like him, every cent I spend goes onto the card, pay it off when the statement turns up. Got more points than jesus right now.

You can't be scared of using a credit card, just like you can't be scared of having cash in your wallet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I use my CC for 99% of my purchases but have only failed to pay my entire balance each month like once in 10 yrs.

I get like 5% back on grocery purchases and a few percent on a bunch of other stuff so it works well.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

not caring here posted:

My dad always had the dad joke at the ready when he was asked "cash or card", and he'd say "put it on the credit card, I'll pay for it next month, hurr hurr hurr".

And the fucker did, every single month. So now I do like him, every cent I spend goes onto the card, pay it off when the statement turns up. Got more points than jesus right now.

You can't be scared of using a credit card, just like you can't be scared of having cash in your wallet.

You grew up in Australia though, right? Australia does charge those annoying service fees in credit cards.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Developed a horrible new theory of government while gorging myself on cookies: America policy, foreign and domestic, is right now a Markov chain indexed from Fox News.

Secluded in his chambers with few to no advisers, most of the President's actions over the last week have basically just been whatever is on TV, filtered through him, put out via Tweet. That gets filtered through Fox News, he reacts to it, and the cycle begins again.

I mean, this isn't exactly a revelation, but it's almost the textbook definition of a Markov chain: a stochastic probability based only on the immediate previous input.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Red Crown posted:

I mean, this isn't exactly a revelation, but it's almost the textbook definition of a Markov chain: a stochastic probability based only on the immediate previous input.

You've missed that this is a reasonable theory of the mind in general, which pretty much explains all our problems.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Red Crown posted:

Developed a horrible new theory of government while gorging myself on cookies: America policy, foreign and domestic, is right now a Markov chain indexed from Fox News.

Secluded in his chambers with few to no advisers, most of the President's actions over the last week have basically just been whatever is on TV, filtered through him, put out via Tweet. That gets filtered through Fox News, he reacts to it, and the cycle begins again.

Would be interesting to try to manipulate the conservative Twittersphere to see if you can also manipulate talking points on Fox and Friends, and therefore influence policy. He who controls the Fox and Friends, controls the world.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

psydude posted:

Would be interesting to try to manipulate the conservative Twittersphere to see if you can also manipulate talking points on Fox and Friends, and therefore influence policy. He who controls the Fox and Friends, controls the world.

Start a conspiracy theory that Big Mac special sauce is linked to male pattern baldness.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

BigDave posted:

Start a conspiracy theory that Big Mac special sauce is linked to male pattern baldness.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

psydude posted:

You grew up in Australia though, right? Australia does charge those annoying service fees in credit cards.

That was real common in the US until not too long ago. You still see commercials advertising no annual fee.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah it might still be a thing there, but it was never a thing if you were a good enough customer (ie, had enough money).

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Worth mentioning that if you're lol still in, American Express platinum card is free (they refund the annual fee) and has a ton of nice freebies like airport lounge access and $15 Uber credit every month.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Worth mentioning that if you're lol still in, American Express platinum card is free (they refund the annual fee) and has a ton of nice freebies like airport lounge access and $15 Uber credit every month.

Well poo poo.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It appears that the President of the United States is spending his Christmas Eve bullshitting about where he is, what he's doing, and the federal contracts he's making up out of thin air.

https://twitter.com/GarrettHaake/status/1077330232569409536?s=19

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Godholio posted:

That was real common in the US until not too long ago. You still see commercials advertising no annual fee.

No, I mean Australian businesses can charge a fee on each credit card transaction over the MSRP of the product or service. I think it's something like 1.8%.

Annual fees are still very much a thing for premium cards like the Chase Sapphire and AMEX Platinum. You typically earn most of it back immediately from the airline credits though.

psydude fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 25, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

psydude posted:

No, I mean Australian businesses can charge a fee on each credit card transaction over the MSRP of the product or service. I think it's something like 1.8%.

Annual fees are still very much a thing for premium cards like the Chase Sapphire and AMEX Platinum. You typically earn most of it back immediately from the airline credits though.

Ah ok. I think it's typically just absorbed (or factored into prices) by businesses in the US, because the card companies do charge the processing fee. Although a lot of gas stations do have a card price and a (lower) cash price.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Does this apply to reserves as well? I will milk the hell out of this as long as possible.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I bet hes playing SimCity in his underwear.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What is Spacey trying to accomplish with that video? The show and his career are over.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

$200 in airline fee credits and lounge access, too. I get $35 in free steak at DIA every time I travel for work.

Godholio posted:

Does this apply to reserves as well? I will milk the hell out of this as long as possible.

Probably. It’s not AmEx being nice, it’s part of complying with the SCRA.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

BigDave posted:

NYTimes: Credit cards enable mass shooters, banks need to flag large gun purchases.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/12/24/business/dealbook/mass-shootings-credit-cards.html

Does this feel like a stretch to anyone else?

Lol if you think you’d stay off the radar if you’re doing this as an Arab

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My parents are very anti-debt and actually followed through on it. I built up some CC debt while finishing college, felt like poo poo, and didn't tell them. It's all paid off now and I'm never doing that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

psydude posted:

Ohhhh, you're talking about passing on the merchant fee.

That used to be a common thing many years ago but kind of disappeared, but when a lot of budget basement chain stores started turning up it came back again. For every day poo poo I don't remember it being too much of a problem. There was some talk of a law bring passed that if you were paying sticker price then the merchant fee couldnt be passed on but if you were paying below that they could, or something like that, but I never heard what happened to it.