Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
He's still funny, even if he truly believes he would have fallen under the spell of Hitler's beautiful eyes and joined the Nazi party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
norm is a huge racist

against OJ Simpson

that was his hill to die on

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Sometimes I think OJ really did kill his ex wife

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

Sometimes I think OJ really did kill his ex wife

I was a kid when it happened and watching that documentary it was really unfortunate that OJ's case became this referendum on racism in the justice system because he was clearly guilty of the crime but also people understandably had zero faith in the system.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I love OJ because he gave us the lawyer Jackie Chiles on Seinfeld. Because of him I will never apply a balm to my wounds unless approved by my lawyer, especially if the balm is provided by a maestro.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Seth MacFarlane gets poo poo on way more than he deserves. You can hate on Family Guy all you want (and you'd be right to), but he's one of the few celebrities who not only held on to his humanity, but is willing to call out how terrible pop culture and the people who contribute to it can be. Plus his non-Family Guy projects tend to be pretty good.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Seth MacFarlane finally made a Star Trek I want to watch instead of yet another one I watch so I can get all the jokes about Star Trek. I appreciate it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fizzymercy posted:

Seth MacFarlane finally made a Star Trek I want to watch instead of yet another one I watch so I can get all the jokes about Star Trek. I appreciate it.

it's so good that star trek people poo poo on it constantly and it provides a whole other form of entertainment

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

StrangersInTheNight posted:

no we haven't, it's just that right now while irony is dead, you are what you pretend to be. whether he likes it or not, his brand that he sells - his 'bit' - is appealing to incels, and so is repellent to the rest of us

that means that you unfortunately get to keep their company, and you don't really get to decide how the reflects on you

He's one of the biggest comedians in the country. I don't know who "the rest of us" is but plenty of normal people enjoy him and no one cares what you think.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

MizPiz posted:

Seth MacFarlane gets poo poo on way more than he deserves. You can hate on Family Guy all you want (and you'd be right to), but he's one of the few celebrities who not only held on to his humanity, but is willing to call out how terrible pop culture and the people who contribute to it can be. Plus his non-Family Guy projects tend to be pretty good.

Counterpoint: the I saw your boobs song is wretched

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I'm pretty sure Benedict Cumberbatch is a direct descendant of Jack the Ripper

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MizPiz posted:

My take on Seth McFarlane is that I recognize that he's a pretty undeniably talented dude, but everything he does rubs me the wrong way and I can't stand him.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MizPiz posted:

Seth MacFarlane gets poo poo on way more than he deserves.

Did he ever stop being a horrible transphobe.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

veni veni veni posted:

My take on Seth McFarlane is that I recognize that he's a pretty undeniably talented dude, but everything he does rubs me the wrong way and I can't stand him.

I can't stand his fake radio/showtunes voice which is apparently how he normally speaks.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Yardbomb posted:

Did he ever stop being a horrible transphobe.

He did a pretty decent queer identity episode on American Dad, but this is coming from a cis guy.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I'm pretty sure Benedict Cumberbatch is a direct descendant of Jack the Ripper

a fictional character to cover for royals disgusting murders

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
PHUO: Family Guy is perfectly fine for what it is (an animated clip show/variety act whose disjointed episodes' consequences carry over between acts over time) and is funnier and less regressive than any sitcom for which new episodes are still being aired on network TV.

PHUO: The South Park guys really genuinely seem to "get" satire (even as reality outpaces parody on an hourly basis), which is straight-up aberrant for right-wingers (one is a republican and one is a libertarian). Some of their previous bits wherein they fellated corporations and capital were upsetting and missed the point pretty hard, but that they're even able to produce fresh satire in this day and age is remarkable.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
South Park convinced a generation that “heheheh you’re a JEW! Look at the jew! Sieg heil!” Is the loving height of hi-larious biting irony and I will never forgive them for it. Also loads of nuclear take episodes like “environmentalism and homophobia are EQUALLY CRAZY are we right? Look at these idiots who care about things”

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"Post Your Personally Held Unpopular Opinion: No Politics or any of that poo poo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjVQ36NhbMk

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

South Park convinced a generation that “heheheh you’re a JEW! Look at the jew! Sieg heil!” Is the loving height of hi-larious biting irony and I will never forgive them for it. Also loads of nuclear take episodes like “environmentalism and homophobia are EQUALLY CRAZY are we right? Look at these idiots who care about things”

i grew up on family man and south park and the hot take trey and Matt had about alcoholism did me a laff

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Family Guy is funny and we're lucky that there is one

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Extremely fair points all around. And their episode about Caitlin Jenner really buried the lede on why extremely online folks are so disgusted with her (though at least they got the hit and run part right). She's somehow still a full-throated supporter of certain entities and their views despite their frothing animosity toward her and people similar to her and is the living embodiment of FYGM, but of course those aren't negatives to South Park
They addressed the school shootings (and reaction to them) in a troublingly-accurate way but still manage to ignore the root cause it seems unlikely at this point to be easier access to guns than in the past. I haven't seen too much of it lately, it's become an emotionally-taxing show, it used to just be light-hearted if rather problematic juvenalia.

PHUO: Steven Universe is way better than it gets credit for.
PHUO: The Hot Topic crowd doesn't deserve quite all the hatred they get, and if they had the academic background to accurately express their grievances, their parents would ignore and dismiss them even harder.
PHUO: The Nickelodeon network is, at present, a gruesome betrayal of absolutely everything it was once upon a time.
PHUO: The (HBO?) show Carnivale is fantastic and the specific persons holding the creative rights captive needs to be at the very front of the line of the wholly non-political guillotine.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I haven't watched the show in years but apparently they recently did a follow up to the Al Gore ManBearPig episode where it turns out he was real the whole time and everyone was wrong to have dismissed Gore as a crazy man.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tubgoat posted:

Extremely fair points all around. And their episode about Caitlin Jenner really buried the lede on why extremely online folks are so disgusted with her (though at least they got the hit and run part right). She's somehow still a full-throated supporter of certain entities and their views despite their frothing animosity toward her and people similar to her and is the living embodiment of FYGM, but of course those aren't negatives to South Park
They addressed the school shootings (and reaction to them) in a troublingly-accurate way but still manage to ignore the root cause it seems unlikely at this point to be easier access to guns than in the past. I haven't seen too much of it lately, it's become an emotionally-taxing show, it used to just be light-hearted if rather problematic juvenalia.

PHUO: Steven Universe is way better than it gets credit for.
PHUO: The Hot Topic crowd doesn't deserve quite all the hatred they get, and if they had the academic background to accurately express their grievances, their parents would ignore and dismiss them even harder.
PHUO: The Nickelodeon network is, at present, a gruesome betrayal of absolutely everything it was once upon a time.
PHUO: The (HBO?) show Carnivale is fantastic and the specific persons holding the creative rights captive needs to be at the very front of the line of the wholly non-political guillotine.

I always thought it was dumb how many people got teary eyed about great 80s cartoons when 90s nickelodeon existed. 90s cartoons were way better AND I never once wanted my parents to go buy me rugrats or Rocko action figures. Related PHUO: Doug was great.

Modern cartoon network is also genuinely my go-to if I'm forced to watch daytime cable. And the new teen titans are way better than the angsty anime teen titans.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Family Guy would be a million times better if Quagmire was removed entirely from the show. Most of the show doesn't bother me, but having an actual, literal rapist as a main character that no one on the show takes issues with is extremely uncomfortable.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And the new teen titans are way better than the angsty anime teen titans.

:yeah:

Teen Titans Go To The Movies was the best superhero movie of the year until Into the Spider-Verse came out.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Vandar posted:

Family Guy would be a million times better if Quagmire was removed entirely from the show. Most of the show doesn't bother me, but having an actual, literal rapist as a main character that no one on the show takes issues with is extremely uncomfortable.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Vandar posted:

:agreed: :agreed: :agreed: :agreed: :agreed:

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Family Guy was pretty great for the first 3 seasons, a lot of what I watched after that had the same phoned in "made because we knew it would be popular" feel that the simpsons has had since about 1998. The bag of weed episode was good though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also been watching some of the Marvel netflix shows lately. I liked Punisher S1 a lot and am eagerly waiting on S2, but I was already a fan of Frank so that was a given, but Jon Bernthal did a lot better than I expected. Watching Daredevil and almost into S2, always thought he was fine so that was another I expected to like anyway. But also watching Iron Fist and while I knew of him and knew he had a decent enough fanbase, I'd only ever heard bad about this show from most sources, but I'm liking it a lot? A bunch of the complaints I see from random articles are things I either don't understand like people hating Danny's (Danny Rand, Iron Fist) actor, who seems perfectly fine to me, not liking the action, which again seems fine here, then there's a bunch of people who've been mad from even the pitch of the show that Danny's white and not asian or something? When yeah, Danny's literally always been a white guy in the Iron Fist comics, it's not like this is some hollywood whitewashing poo poo, Roy Thomas and Gil Kane loved kung fu movies so they made Iron Fist a kid from New York.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

CrRoMa posted:

Family Guy was pretty great for... 3 seasons, ... made because we...had ...weed
:hai:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

CrRoMa posted:

Family Guy was pretty great for the first 3 seasons, a lot of what I watched after that had the same phoned in "made because we knew it would be popular" feel that the simpsons has had since about 1998. The bag of weed episode was good though.

I'm pretty sure they canceled the show after the third season (might've been the second), and they brought it back because the reruns on adult swim were getting a ridiculous number of viewers.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think the DVD sales were also insane.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I think your right because I remember a friend of mine buying the box set of seasons 1-3 and it being a big deal when the 4th series came out

Family Guys a great show and parts of made really made me laugh but 50 episodes were more than enough for me, I didn't need 300+

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
See also: Futurama

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

See also: Futurama

the last season of the original run of Futurama was clearly declining in quality, and all the movies were bad. I'm not sure why anyone expected anything better from the new seasons

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Here's a PHUO, all the "emotional" episodes of Futurama were lame. Yes, even the dog one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Here's a PHUO, all the "emotional" episodes of Futurama were lame. Yes, even the dog one.

Agreed. The dog one especially. It wasn't sad. It was forced, saccharine, and stupid. Something so blatant that even an idiot would understand they were trying to make something sad. Which is probably why it's brought up so much.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah that episode sucks and Fry and Leela stuff is allllll cringey

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vandar posted:

Teen Titans Go To The Movies was the best superhero movie of the year until Into the Spider-Verse came out.

I don't watch fambly guy anymore but I enjoy seeing people mad about always sunny and curb your enthusiasm

i don't think these are good role models

and rick sanchez is a terrible human being

e: :quagmire: should be klled off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The dog episode is good and v. sad.