Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I would unironically play WOOD, based on that Photoshop from a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My favorite Doom mod is the one that recreates the entirety of Resident Evil 2 in the Doom engine. Not as an FPS, just the standard game. Pretty mind blowing that you can make a game inside another game.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Is it just me or is the difficulty in Dusk a bit weird going from "I Can Take It" to "Cero Miedo"?

I can take it feels too easy. Enemies move slowly, projectiles move slowly, you don't take a ton of damage. Then Cero Miedo is suddenly much faster and everything hits much harder. I feel like an inbetween would be nice because I'm old and don't keep all my FPS skills up to date but I'm not THAT bad either

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Levitate posted:

Is it just me or is the difficulty in Dusk a bit weird going from "I Can Take It" to "Cero Miedo"?

I can take it feels too easy. Enemies move slowly, projectiles move slowly, you don't take a ton of damage. Then Cero Miedo is suddenly much faster and everything hits much harder. I feel like an inbetween would be nice because I'm old and don't keep all my FPS skills up to date but I'm not THAT bad either

Yeah, it's a strange decision considering the next harder difficult is one hit and you're dead. I'm playing through it on "I Can Take It" for my first and I'm flying through it with ease.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Mordja posted:

Those sections were always so short and barely had any combat in them, they were just about building the horror. I never had a problem with them and they were over in a couple minutes. :shrug:

The "take away your flashlight" level in ep2 was this, and was fine because there was still enough ambient light to see by. The one(s) in ep3 were longer, required relatively more complex navigation to be done, and were often done in effective pitch blackness.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Levitate posted:

I agree with you, although I'm usually picky with difficulties. Cero miedo doesn't feel as, let's say, an increase in difficulty of 30%, it's more like an increase of 80%. Sometimes you will be dead in two shots.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man the Spooky Ghost JPEG is my favorite joke in DUSK. One thing I can definitely say about the devs is that they have a sense of awareness about what they're making that only a few throwback fps creators do. From interviews etc they seem like they'd be a good candidate for being a Devolver-Digital-published group, just because they're very candid about putting stuff in because it's fun and awesome and that's it.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I took a shot at the ghost jpeg because Dusk seems like the kind of game where it might've been a sincere threat :ohdear:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

JerryLee posted:

The "take away your flashlight" level in ep2 was this, and was fine because there was still enough ambient light to see by. The one(s) in ep3 were longer, required relatively more complex navigation to be done, and were often done in effective pitch blackness.

The one in ep3 where the Horror is introduced, you can find a stick laying around nearby the start. Pick it up, dip it in the nearby fire, and you have a portable torch. It's not of much use in combat but it helps with the initial secret hunt.

I liked those sections anyway. They build tension pretty effectively and serve as pacing variation that I think is vital to games longer than a couple of hours. The variation in level design and mechanics especially in the second half of ep3 reminds me a lot of games like HL2 and Titanfall 2 with how diverse and interesting it is. The only level I didn't really love was Dweller in Darkness, since the arena has no cover and almost necessitates jumping off the map and teleporting away from duke mage's homing fireballs on Cero Miedo, which feels a little cheap and slows the pace of combat in that section significantly. The only other way I can think to do it would be with the sword (if you somehow still have enough morale to block) or sickles.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Do you know what's really good for low-visibility horror? Flares.

AVP Classic 2000 scares the poo poo out of me still.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVeScN7l3pg

i....i can't do this

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So I just ran through DUSK a second time on Cero Miedo to 100% the achievements, and this time I began with the "Intruder Mode" on from Map 01 so you start with only 100 health and sickles on each level. I previously didn't come around to using the Intruder Mode until the end of Act 2, and felt like while you died quite fast on Cero Miedo when mistakes were made, the routine of starting each level with whatever arsenal and health/armor you brought from the previous level trivialized things pretty thoroughly when you're always swimming in ammo and could just brute force your way through maps with superior firepower.

Basically, I wonder if people would find it better to play on "I Can Take It" but with Intruder Mode effectively forcing them to "pistol start" each level for a better difficulty balance.

The jump from "I Can Take It" to "Cero Miedo" is really staggering nonetheless.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
I played about 5 rounds of multiplayer and it was pretty fun, somehow got 1st on the second map I played.

The pistol is soooo weak by itself and so is the normal shotgun, but once you get the akimbo versions they're much close to the rest of the weapons. They also have a really weird character model and there isn't a way that I have found to make all of the enemies the same model.

I really wish they had some sort of lightning gun weapon and that headshots mattered with a gun like the hunting rifle ala UT99, but then again I suppose they want to be somewhat unique.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dweller in the darkness is the worst level which is a shame because the aesthetic could've been used well.

i'd say my favorite levels are erebus reactor, neo-babel, and city of shadows. each has a very strong sense of place and the first two have some great spectacle. even though the second and third episode are better, i would've loved to play a game full of just town/city levels seeing it get weirder and weirder.

i love the sound design in the game - the fork maidens and cowgirls are especially unnerving. there were moments that got me better than most horror games - that spooky ghost image got me/made me laugh.

i wish i had played project warlock first because it feels sluggish in comparison. dusk just feels so good playing - the movement and the shooting is so natural. i wish there was someone else out there making games like this. maybe i've just been missing them.

i pretty much only get sucked in by the games from software puts out but dusk got its hooks in me and didn't let go.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The jump from "I Can Take It" to "Cero Miedo" is really staggering nonetheless.

yeah he shoulda made it either the movement went up or the damage. i wanted to try duskmare but rats are stupid and i know theyd make me rage out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Let it go my friend, or are you planning to offer university degrees in Half-Life so people can write their own endings everyone fights over like Dream of the Red Chamber

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why is he not going into what Gordon's robo arm does, why does he not give a reason why he's not going into it. Is he implying that it's a grapple arm and HL3 would've just been Bionic Commando because I am ok with that.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It isn't like it cost real resources to have more difficulties to choose from. No reason to have only 5,he could have for example seven.

I feel the only reason developers limit themselves to a small number, usually three, it's just to not confuse players with too much choice.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I still think its likely we'll get a Half-Life 3 one day. Stranger things have happened.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turin Turambar posted:

It isn't like it cost real resources to have more difficulties to choose from. No reason to have only 5,he could have for example seven.

I feel the only reason developers limit themselves to a small number, usually three, it's just to not confuse players with too much choice.

I mean Doom itself only had 3 real difficulty settings, with the other two being made from applying mutators onto those core 3.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

I still think its likely we'll get a Half-Life 3 one day. Stranger things have happened.

Are you ok with Valve going bankrupt/divests from all game development and somebody buys up the rights to half-life 3 to make a mobile game with, because that seems the likeliest path

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Half-Life 3: Immortal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Barudak posted:

Are you ok with Valve going bankrupt

The sooner the better

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

speaking of half-life, i wish some people would make retro shooters that look like goldsrc games. i'm a weirdo and like that look better than modern stuff.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

chaosapiant posted:

I never played FAKK2, was it any good? It was a 3rd person game right? I also never saw the Heavy Metal sequel "Heavy Metal 2000." I heard it wasn't as good as the original. The original was good because I saw it as a kid and was blown away. Wonder how it holds up now.

It is third person. I've actually never played it nor seen Heavy Metal 2000. I absolutely adore the original, but uh... it's not what I'd call "traditionally good."

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

CJacobs posted:

The sooner the better

I have way too many steam games don't even joke about that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
It's really more the jump from "I Can Take It" to "Cero Miedo" is steep rather than Cero Miedo being super duper hard or something. It's challenging (at least so far, I'm just starting episode 2) but not frustratingly so yet.

It's just the jump went from "easy" to "challenging" without much inbetween

It's pretty fun game so far though, I was worried it was going to be too quake-like from what people were saying but it has it's own thing going on for hte most part

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Levitate posted:

It's really more the jump from "I Can Take It" to "Cero Miedo" is steep rather than Cero Miedo being super duper hard or something. It's challenging (at least so far, I'm just starting episode 2) but not frustratingly so yet.

It's just the jump went from "easy" to "challenging" without much inbetween

It's pretty fun game so far though, I was worried it was going to be too quake-like from what people were saying but it has it's own thing going on for hte most part

For what it's worth, I feel like a lot of the Quake elements and difficulty really come into full effect in Episodes 2 and 3.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If I had one complaint about DUSK's level design it's that they fall into the same trappings as Project Warlock on occasion, where designated secrets (both physical shortcuts and teleporters) will dump you much further in the level with no indication of HOW MUCH further in you are- occasionally with no apparent way back. From my playing it seems that there usually is a way but secret teleporters aren't two-way for some reason so you can't just hop back in.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Valve had like maybe five years to follow up HL2:Ep2 without it being some retro throwback thing. Even if they did release HL3, they let the relevance fade into nostalgia so there's basically no chance for them to make a lasting impact and continue the legacy. It doesn't help that Half-Life's story is pretty generic and it was really the gameplay and narrative style that made it stand out at the time. Nowadays, that kind of gameplay is so standard that a less story-driven experience would be considered either lacklustre or retro.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When "here's what is special about Half-Life" became "here's what was special about Half-Life", that was when they'd officially missed their chance.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
But we're all still here playing 20 year old games? I don't care if HL3 is retro, I just want more Half-Life

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mostly just replay hl2 roughly once a year because it's still a banger and don't ever give any thought to the possibility of a sequel

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Every gaming news site would flip their poo poo. The buzz generated would be enormous and immediate

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was always a much bigger fan of hl1 than 2.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Why deal with the bother of actually making games when you can make a bajillion times more money selling other people's games?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean they could do both and make even more money so that's never really been an excuse.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It's hard to go back because there's a lot of downtime for puzzles and I still remember the solutions as soon as I see what the problem is.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Groovelord Neato posted:

i was always a much bigger fan of hl1 than 2.

Gonna have to hard agree here. HL2 was kind of really dry in a way that the first one wasn't. It's hard to put my finger on, but I think it's something to do with the source engine in general. TF2 and L4D had that same sort of off feeling to me.

Still good games but there was something really special about HL1.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Every gaming news site would flip their poo poo. The buzz generated would be enormous and immediate

They should release HL3 on April 1 without any announcement, and only make it visible to a few people randomly chosen. Like perhaps 0.5% of Steam users would be able to see and buy it. It'd look like a prank if anybody notices, mentions it, and other people can't confirm.

Make it visible to everyone a couple months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

This is one of those things where it seems like it's less intensive than it actually is.

When I was working on Nocturne in Yellow, the highest difficulty was a simple health multiplier and enemy aggressiveness multiplier. Pick a higher difficulty, enemies have more health and become more aggressive. Simple, right?
This made one of the later boss fights impossible, because they would attack during a cutscene. And even if you cancelled the cutscene right away, the multiplier made their health loop around and they became unkillable--assuming you could even get past the swarms of enemies they summoned.
Likewise, when I was talking to Jimmy about Adventures of Square development, one thing that consistently became a miserable time sink was testing on the different difficulties. Every map needed to be capable of being completed from pistol start, under par time, on every single difficulty. And there were many instances where different difficulties accidentally caused stuff to not spawn, because of something in GZDoombuilder getting turned off by accident.

Also keep in mind if you want to have "real" difficulty changes, you can't just use mutators--you need to have different actors spawn in different locations, with varying amounts to either coddle/challenge the player. This is why (as Fishmech said) Doom only has three real difficulty settings, the others are mutators. So with each additional difficulty, your amount of work dramatically increases.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 24, 2018