Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Stopping particle accelerators doesn't help people. It's almost the opposite of helping people, in fact.

Out there in the Spider-Verse, there exists the world of Naked From The Waist Down Spider-Man. This version of Spider-Man swings around New York with his genitals and anus exposed for all to see.

Like all Spider-Men, Naked From the Waist Down Spider-Man suffers. He gets jeered at by New Yorkers every day. Villains hit him for being naked from the waist down. But he gets back up again, because with great power comes great responsibility to expose oneself.

But enduring to expose himself doesn't make Naked From The Waist Down Spider-Man admirable. He's just a pervert.

Do you want to gently caress Spider-Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
LOVED this movie. I knew it had fun visuals and decided to go see it on a whim, and holy poo poo. In terms of superhero movies, I think it's in my top five with Logan, Thor: Ragnarok, The Dark Knight, and Maguire's Spider-Man 2. I don't really understand the love for Homecoming; my runner-ups for that list would be Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Keaton's first Batman, Maguire's first Spider-Man.

Also, people have brought up "how is Gwen enrolled at this charter school," but I'm also wondering "how is Gwen employed at this evil lab?" I didn't remember anything from the trailer so I didn't know that she was going to end up being a spider-person, so at first I thought it was just a callback to the Emma Stone Gwen. I'm guessing she was just also infiltrating the lab at that time?

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

ungulateman posted:

the bit in the final fight where kingpin bleeds across dimensions while fighting miles is a visualisation of the idea that, because of who he is as a person, he'll drive his family away through his actions regardless of the timeline, imo

What's a little weird is that if you extend that idea to his counterpart Miles, you get a formulation like "Because of who you are (smart, creative, etc) you will be distanced from your friends no matter what you do", like Miles is accepting that being in a league of his own itself inescapable, because of his abilities? Which brings back Miles's earlier concern with VISIONS being stuck up / elitist, which was also a worry that he himself was going to become a stuck up elitist by attending the school. (Though I think someone pointed out that Miles was already a popular big shot at his old school, and if that's true, the new school also upsets his position at the top of a social hierarchy? So then it'd be like VISIONS is the (unwanted) realization of his own sense of superiority... or privilege, as JazzyRat was saying. )

Not as sure about the stuff in parentheses, but I'm looking for stuff to project back onto Kingpin to figure out what aspect of 'who he is' is comparable to Miles. Kingpin's position as a criminal father kind of contrasts with Miles's police father maybe? Like maybe the way he personally wields his power over people ties into Miles's views on order/hierarchy, since his interactions with subordinates involve shouting or choking or shooting. The way he mistreats his subordinates makes it ridiculous for him to expect his family to come back together, if the family is implicitly analogous to his organization? So Kingpin seemingly belongs on the dad's side of the closed-door apology, even though he's also defying fate

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Do you want to gently caress Spider-Man?

I'm describing one of the canonical Spider-People.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

mmmmalo posted:

Not as sure about the stuff in parentheses, but I'm looking for stuff to project back onto Kingpin to figure out what aspect of 'who he is' is comparable to Miles. Kingpin's position as a criminal father kind of contrasts with Miles's police father maybe? Like maybe the way he personally wields his power over people ties into Miles's views on order/hierarchy, since his interactions with subordinates involve shouting or choking or shooting. The way he mistreats his subordinates makes it ridiculous for him to expect his family to come back together, if the family is implicitly analogous to his organization? So Kingpin seemingly belongs on the dad's side of the closed-door apology, even though he's also defying fate

To Fisk, family is temporary and interchangeable. Wife and son are horrified by you and die tragically? Just get a new wife and son, job completed.

For Miles and the Davis/Morales clan, family is permanent but fragile. Each member is singular and irreplaceable but all it takes is one bullet, or one conversation not had through a door, and they can lose each other forever.

To an extent, Peter B takes some of this as part of his own arc, and to an even lesser one Gwen does, too, though it's less family and more "personal relationships" and to be fair she mostly overcomes that by being stranded with five people who are already predisposed to think or act like her

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Fisk uses the Walter Bishop method of child replacement.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

tin can made man posted:

To Fisk, family is temporary and interchangeable. Wife and son are horrified by you and die tragically? Just get a new wife and son, job completed.

For Miles and the Davis/Morales clan, family is permanent but fragile. Each member is singular and irreplaceable but all it takes is one bullet, or one conversation not had through a door, and they can lose each other forever.

To an extent, Peter B takes some of this as part of his own arc, and to an even lesser one Gwen does, too, though it's less family and more "personal relationships" and to be fair she mostly overcomes that by being stranded with five people who are already predisposed to think or act like her

The problem with this is that the superhero sci-fi aspect becomes completely redundant if it's just used to dress up completely mundane conflicts. You can just have mundane thriller about a crime lord trying to forcefully reunite his family without complicating it with superheroes and particle accelerators. The Godfather movies are already about a mobster gradually losing his family.

There's a Spider-God in the movie, colonizing alternate dimensions with its avatars. Who cares about Kingpin's lack of family life?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

You are a weird and gross rear end in a top hat and even trolling you is starting to lose its luster. Have you listened to the loving Christmas album yet or not? It's not that hard of a question to answer.

I have a feeling they are ignoring the question if they haven't responded after like, five prompts already.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like an ignored mod challenge to me.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Christmas album is fine, the Chris Pine (I'm really not sure something like this is really that much of a spoiler, it's literally in the album credits) ones are the standout, with Deck The Halls and whichever one Jake Johnson sings being fine, but the 1967 one is just a waste.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
So since this iteration of Miles gets his powers through a multiversal origin, is it fair to assume he's the only Miles in the multiverse? Like there's nothing to say there's not multiple Gwen Stacys as spider folk out there, but maybe Miles is unique among the spiderverse, such as it is. Unless we accept this is also just a uni/multiverse parallel to the comics, where Movie Miles and 616/Ultimate Miles are separate entities which is a case I certainly hope no one tries to make in the franchises future

Comic Spider Verse event, again, sucks total poo poo but a cool element of it WAS just all these spider someones hanging out in one place, which opened up moments like Pavitir (Spider Man India) being self conscious about being a reflection of what seems to be a "default" identity. I always thought it'd be interesting and in theme to see the giant spider conclave keep tally on a chalkboard of the different identities and permutations. Like, there's a majority of Peters and Peter-Adjacents but how many Mileses are there ? Gwens or Bens (with sub tallies for Parker, Reilly)? Miguels and Miscellaneous (Hobie Brown, Otto Octavius, Aunt May, etc)?

E: "May, Daughter" and "May, Aunt" would also have to be discreet categories

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 24, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I really have to stop jumping between this thread and the Star Trek ones it's loving me up!!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You guys really owe it to yourselves to see it in 3D if you have the chance. Saw it again last night, and it’s just as good when I’m not stoned off my rear end.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

do you think there's a spider universe where Lamps can go more than twenty-four hours of posting without eating a probe

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

In Spider-Verse, Miles Morales is a teenager who wants to escape his daily life, but never has the same choice. The moment he gets superpowers, he's drawn into inter-dimensional intrigues where his own initiative becomes secondary, and throughout he gets molded to become another Spider-Person among many.

This leads to the basic problem that the whole Spider-Person aspect of his character becomes redundant and obfuscates his own individuality. If he's not trying to escape his daily life as Spider-Man, then there's not really point to it. He's just serving as an understudy. He even loses his beloved uncle,, as if he universe was going through a checklist so that he can fit a certain template.

Just consider that he gets his powers from being bitten by an evil corporation and then puts on a store-bought Halloween costume before he gets an unique superhero suit. He's progresses from an individual to a consumer and ultimately into a product.

Stan Lee and Steven Ditko created a superhero character who reflects teen anxieties. Now Spider-Verse presents a teen character who reflects superhero anxieties.

Say what you want, this is a pretty good point

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It's like clockwork. Lamps eats a probe and you rush in out of nowhere to defend him. I'd swear you two were alts, but I know otherwise and that just makes it all the sadder.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's like clockwork. Lamps eats a probe and you rush in out of nowhere to defend him.

Its almost as if there is publicly searchable database that shows when and why someone was probated that is accessible to all users

And its not even defending him from the probe, that wasn't the post he was probated for.

And besides all of that, it is a good point, regardless of your opinions on the dude. Into the Spider-Verse is very much a story about the anxieties of the ownership of Spider-Man as a character between Marvel and Sony and its being deliberately obtuse if you don't notice that subtext.

Its literally a story about someone believing they cannot live up to the mantle of the title "spider-man" until they realize there are multiple incarnations of the characters and that there is no one true version. If that's not an extended metaphor for the intellectual property struggles behind the character I don't know what is.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Bravest doesn’t have a point. Bravest never has a point. He just sees that something is popular and reverse engineers some pseudo-intellectual horseshit to justify being a petulant, contrarian jackass. Then, if people make the mistake of actually engaging with him and pick apart his horseshit, he just plugs his ears and yells “Nuh-uh!!!”

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Jesus Christ now there's backup dancers for whenever Lamps inevitably gets probed.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

tin can made man posted:

So since this iteration of Miles gets his powers through a multiversal origin, is it fair to assume he's the only Miles in the multiverse? Like there's nothing to say there's not multiple Gwen Stacys as spider folk out there, but maybe Miles is unique among the spiderverse, such as it is. Unless we accept this is also just a uni/multiverse parallel to the comics, where Movie Miles and 616/Ultimate Miles are separate entities which is a case I certainly hope no one tries to make in the franchises future

Comic Spider Verse event, again, sucks total poo poo but a cool element of it WAS just all these spider someones hanging out in one place, which opened up moments like Pavitir (Spider Man India) being self conscious about being a reflection of what seems to be a "default" identity. I always thought it'd be interesting and in theme to see the giant spider conclave keep tally on a chalkboard of the different identities and permutations. Like, there's a majority of Peters and Peter-Adjacents but how many Mileses are there ? Gwens or Bens (with sub tallies for Parker, Reilly)? Miguels and Miscellaneous (Hobie Brown, Otto Octavius, Aunt May, etc)?

E: "May, Daughter" and "May, Aunt" would also have to be discreet categories
Comics-wise I think that's more Gwen's thing - so many Spiderpeople are one type of Peter Parker or another, and where there's a Peter there's usually a backstory with a Gwen who died in some brutal, tragic way. So whenever the plot calls for dimension-hopping shenanigans, the others travel to exciting new worlds and meet interesting new people and for the most part revel in their differences, but for Gwen most places she goes everyone sees her as an aberration and views her whole existence through the lens of the effect it'll have on their version of her dead best friend, the multiverse's default hero.

Not sure if the potential sequels would want to go down that road, but her dealing with the emotions/angst that brings up is a nice character arc, imo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Bravest doesn’t have a point. Bravest never has a point. He just sees that something is popular and reverse engineers some pseudo-intellectual horseshit to justify being a petulant, contrarian jackass. Then, if people make the mistake of actually engaging with him and pick apart his horseshit, he just plugs his ears and yells “Nuh-uh!!!”

You don't think there is a tangible sense of anxiety behind corporate ownership of the character behind the story?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Yeah. His posts don't make you question the narrative or rethink what you felt about something, all they do is make you roll your eyes. That's usually not a sign that someone had a point, other than "maybe I shouldn't post on these forums anymore".

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You don't think there is a tangible sense of anxiety behind corporate ownership of the character behind the story?

I'm convinced you're an alt.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Queen Combat posted:

I'm convinced you're an alt.

The first post-Marvel-IP-sharing Sony-based Spider-Man feature hits three major story beats.

1. Peter Parker Spider-Man is gone
2. There simultaneously exist multiple versions of Spider Man in different universes
3. Miles is this "universe's" new Spider Man because there is no more Peter Parker

How is that not an extended metaphor for Sony's split ownership of Spider-Man as intellectual property

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No. That’s someone forcing a movie into a tortured metaphor to serve their puerile self-aggrandizing whining. Why would it be about that when several people have pointed out several themes that fit much better with what’s shown on the screen without having to invent behind-the-scenes tension?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The first post-Marvel-IP-sharing Sony-based Spider-Man feature hits three major story beats.

2. There simultaneously exist multiple versions of Spider Man in different universes
3. Miles is this "universe's" new Spider Man because there is no more Peter Parker

How is that not an extended metaphor for Sony's split ownership of Spider-Man as intellectual property

This is a very weird take on Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I actually think this is a neat interpretation and it makes me respect the movie more.

So I don't think they're an alt.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Phylodox posted:

No. That’s someone forcing a movie into a tortured metaphor to serve their puerile self-aggrandizing whining. Why would it be about that when several people have pointed out several themes that fit much better with what’s shown on the screen without having to invent behind-the-scenes tension?

Multiple themes can exist simultaneously, just because one interpretation has merit doesnt mean all other interpretations can no longer exist

Necrothatcher posted:

I actually think this is a neat interpretation and it makes me respect the movie more.

So I don't think they're an alt.

Yeah I just wanted to check out what BotL got tagged for but that post actually got me thinking and there is a very material metaphor for the production of the film in the film itself.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Lamps is Trump-Era SMG.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Multiple themes can exist simultaneously, just because one interpretation has merit doesnt mean all other interpretations can no longer exist

Hey, cool, that’s not at all what I said. Just because multiple themes can exist at once doesn’t mean all interpretations have equal merit.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Hey, cool, that’s not at all what I said. Just because multiple themes can exist at once doesn’t mean all interpretations have equal merit.

I dont see why there is not a valid interpretation of the film as a metaphor for it's ownership other than you are mad at BotL

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I dont see why there is not a valid interpretation of the film as a metaphor for it's ownership other than you are mad at BotL

I’m not saying there isn’t a possibly valid interpretation along those lines, I’m saying BravestOfTheLamps is nowhere even close to making one, even given your ridiculously generous take on his semi-coherent rambling about insidious spider gods and exposed spider genitalia.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Phylodox posted:

I’m not saying there isn’t a possibly valid interpretation along those lines, I’m saying BravestOfTheLamps is nowhere even close to making one, even given your ridiculously generous take on his semi-coherent rambling about insidious spider gods and exposed spider genitalia.

Nothing I quoted from BotL was about spider gods or spider genitals so I dont know what you are referring to.

I quoted a post about how Miles being tailored to exist as a product is part of the extended metaphor of the film itself.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Basically if Bravest ever has a good point, he is making it by accident while trying to be a contrarian jackass, and does not deserve credit.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lamps does not do anything in good faith

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

So if we just exclude botl from the conversation can we engage with the movie as a metaphor for it's own split ownership

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

spider genitals

Question: have you listened to the Christmas album yet? Your master has repeatedly dodged the question. What do you have to say on the matter?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nothing I quoted from BotL was about spider gods or spider genitals so I dont know what you are referring to.

I quoted a post about how Miles being tailored to exist as a product is part of the extended metaphor of the film itself.

That’s only vaguely related to what Bravest was saying, to the point of being useless. You might as well say the theme of the film is “movies”.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Question: have you listened to the Christmas album yet? Your master has repeatedly dodged the question. What do you have to say on the matter?

I listened to it and it was kind of cheesy and lame but all Christmas albums are, even when they are being ironic.

Also, isnt it a bit beneath you as a mod with being so obsessed with forums drama that you keep bringing it up even though I havent done anything to bring it up.

Phylodox posted:

That’s only vaguely related to what Bravest was saying, to the point of being useless. You might as well say the theme of the film is “movies”.

Ok, well I disagree

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I just want to know what he thought of Chris Pine singing about Spider-Man. Thank you, at least, for answering me. I am modestly satisfied.