Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

fuctifino posted:

e: I just realised you were talking about Magic Leap. I should drink more covfefe

I get those two mixed up all the time. I was recently confused when the internet seemed to be full of talk about that ol’ dongle again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap-ish delay pedal that has a good ping pong setting?

This’ll be for Berlin School style sequencing.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 13, 2018

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I picked up a Neutron recently to dip my toes into synthing before being an obsessive Eurorack rear end in a top hat with more money and excuses than ambition to actually make music and I have to say I am kinda disappointed that there has been some trouble with firmware updates. I guess I didn't really do my homework but the purpose of getting into synth hardware for me was to get away from sitting there while VSTs and Reaper/Ableton update.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I’m getting a Meris Mercury 7 for Christmas (aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yessssssssss) and have realized I’ve been neglecting my Microbrute too much. It needs to be shoved through so much reverb that I don’t even have to play it well. I never really “learned” it but I have tons of fun exploring the synth and want to use it a bunch on the guitar focused ep I’m making. What’s the best way to get the same sound as I hear using headphones via my Scarlet 2i4? I remember trying it before and it sounding not great but honestly I didn’t spend much time with it that way.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
My store got a moog one demo unit and boy she's pretty. No corners cut, and I could spend hours in there just twiddling. Tactile heaven.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Gringostar posted:

do what I'm going to do

build a serge as tall as you are

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

nahh

i'm keeping my eurorack to one EP-270

and converting a small case into a make noise travel box that's going to be 6u x 70ish hp

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm pretty happy with how this synthy/sampling song came out: https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/52-on-the-beach

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

So Math posted:

I'm pretty happy with how this synthy/sampling song came out: https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/52-on-the-beach

It's not really something I am in to, and it made me want to break furniture upon listening to it. But I respect what you did.

We have a thread for Soundcloud, but if we're sharing what we have done with specific equipment, my newest track is pretty much entirely done with presets and no modifications with my Deepmind 12

https://soundcloud.com/tom-pellegrino-146151417/chriss-game

Might as well throw my catalog here too! I can use more listeners :catdrugs:

https://soundcloud.com/tom-pellegrino-146151417/tracks

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

So Math posted:

:psyduck:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

So Math posted:

I'm so about this, it's like the stuff the local alternative station would sneak in when I first started listening the to radio in the early 90s, before they got bought out.

EDIT - Could I get a copy of this? It's another one I'd like to sneak into Paranoia now that I'm running it again.

After The War fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 16, 2018

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Mistayke posted:

We have a thread for Soundcloud, but if we're sharing what we have done with specific equipment, my newest track is pretty much entirely done with presets and no modifications with my Deepmind 12

https://soundcloud.com/tom-pellegrino-146151417/chriss-game

Nice! It sounds like you had a lot of fun jamming to that beat.

:drum:

After The War posted:

EDIT - Could I get a copy of this? It's another one I'd like to sneak into Paranoia now that I'm running it again.

As a former Paranoia DM this means a lot. :swoon: It's on Bandcamp pwyw: https://jocko-homomorphism.bandcamp.com/album/on-the-beach/ You might also like "A Notational Distinction" on there.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

So Math posted:

As a former Paranoia DM this means a lot. :swoon: It's on Bandcamp pwyw: https://jocko-homomorphism.bandcamp.com/album/on-the-beach/ You might also like "A Notational Distinction" on there.

I should have recognized a fellow sick gently caress! Grabbed both, thank you!

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Laserjet 4P posted:

second hand breath controller

that puts the "ew" in "ewi"

Can't stop won't stop. After returning the defective floor model EWI I had to scratch this new found itch, and got a used Yamaha WX5:

It's a real shame they're not making anything like these any more. Everything about it feels better than the Akai; there's less breath resistance, it's lighter, the mouthpiece feels nicer, the key action is smooth as butter and way more tactile than the touch sensors on the Akai.

I got my hands on the Akai EWI USB factory software CD and the sounds are embarrassingly bad. Like single layer, breath only controls volume bad, no expression at all.

Sadly there aren't many free wind VSTs out there, but I got the Silvertone physical modeling ensemble for Reaktor and it's so, so loving good! I've been a fan of modeling synthesis for a long time for how connected to an instrument it can make you feel (though really good samples can do this too), and have loved the hell out of the GSI e-piano VSTs for that reason. In this case, it actually feels like my breath is emerging at the other side through the speakers, it's really that good.

snorch fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 18, 2018

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i sold my volca sample a year or so ago, after it was too frustrating to consistently get sounds onto it. has uploading samples gotten easier since then?

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 20, 2018

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Not easier. You still need to send them from a clean source with high gain. Phones are bad for this because of notifications and integrated surround stuff. Works best with an audio interface and / or external mixer. To be fair it's a problem I met with many devices updating through audio files.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Come clean

which one of you is this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of-rqX4c2Ls

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

I'm the RATM poster on the back wall.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Please be real

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

we can dream...

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

That sequencer section looks really obtuse and I’d almost never use it because I can barely be arsed to program my Sample in song mode.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
I just found it weird that all volcas were battery powered until the volca mixer.
Like why didn't they just go all the way?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

floatman posted:

I just found it weird that all volcas were battery powered until the volca mixer.
Like why didn't they just go all the way?

The mixer can be used to power 3 other volcas, I doubt it would be possible with batteries.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Oh yeah true that.
I just was thinking on the assumption that all the volcas kinda put together a good package of mobile fart making, so why didn't the mixer round it off and all that

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Fingers crossed the Volca Modular is real, and the microtuning knobs mean you can bring your own scales. Interesting choice to ditch midi. I'm guessing the sync in would double as gate in if you use the 1:1 clock divider.

I made another video on how to exploit the Circuit's patch editor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_72vbgPlpQw

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
There's this one too

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Waveguide drum volca would really be something :eyepop:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
korg reissue the z1 please

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Holy poo poo when did Matrix 6's get loving expensive? People are asking like $1200 for them - I bought mine about 19 years ago for like $125 because everyone knew they were the shittiest model of Oberheim you could get (well, barring a Matrix 1000).

And yet compared to the turn of the century, these days new analog polys with better/thicker sound quality than the Matrix 6 are widely available and dirt cheap, you'd be much better off spending that money on something like a Monologue or Deepmind or something. It's not an iconic synth with massive sound that was on countless hit songs, it's a cheap entry level synth with thin, weedy sound even when it was new.

WTF is wrong with collectors?

It steams me because I lost my Matrix 6 when an ex-girlfriend broke it off with me while it was still over at her house. I waited a few days to let her cool off before asking to collect my stuff, and she had already given it (and my first bass guitar) to a Goodwill, and now I wish I had it so I could unload it to some dumb collector for 10x what I paid for it - enough to get a deepmind 6 AND a Minilogue.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 23, 2018

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

HotCanadianChick posted:

Holy poo poo when did Matrix 6's get loving expensive? People are asking like $1200 for them - I bought mine about 19 years ago for like $125 because everyone knew they were the shittiest model of Oberheim you could get (well, barring a Matrix 1000).

And yet compared to the turn of the century, these days new analog polys with better/thicker sound quality than the Matrix 6 are widely available and dirt cheap, you'd be much better off spending that money on something like a Monologue or Deepmind or something. It's not an iconic synth with massive sound that was on countless hit songs, it's a cheap entry level synth with thin, weedy sound even when it was new.

WTF is wrong with collectors?

It steams me because I lost my Matrix 6 when an ex-girlfriend broke it off with me while it was still over at her house. I waited a few days to let her cool off before asking to collect my stuff, and she had already given it (and my first bass guitar) to a Goodwill, and now I wish I had it so I could unload it to some dumb collector for 10x what I paid for it - enough to get a deepmind 6 AND a Minilogue.

That wasn’t very nice

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

snorch posted:

Please be real

I don't know jackshit about modular so this layout is very confusing to me.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

BeigeJacket posted:

I don't know jackshit about modular so this layout is very confusing to me.

Like the 0-coast, the very thin gray lines show the internal patching/routing between the different component. You can then use the ins (white) and outs (black) to reroute the signal the way you want.

Also it seems to be a west coast synth since you have a LPG instead of a LPF, as well as a wavefolder.

Other components seem to be a random generator, a signal multiplier, a clock divider, a math function module, one envelope, one lfo and some kind of echo/chorus

Seems fun. If it's the same price as other volcas it is a steal

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 23, 2018

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Speaking of Volca drum machines, I finally got around to looking into the C78 cap mod to fix the snare, and my package with the baggie of 104 caps I ordered was on the front porch today when I got home, so I went and got my soldering poo poo and just finished installing it.

As someone who is very comfortable with soldering and didn’t even think twice about getting and building a XoXbox kit*, this was the single most painful soldering job I have ever done. Jesus wept, trying to solder a thru hole component to pads for a tiny smd component that are less than a mm apart... 😨

*I did pay the extra $10 or whatever on my kit to have it come with the USB chip already soldered onto the board, because I don’t have the equipment to easily do smd poo poo.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

Speaking of Volca drum machines, I finally got around to looking into the C78 cap mod to fix the snare, and my package with the baggie of 104 caps I ordered was on the front porch today when I got home, so I went and got my soldering poo poo and just finished installing it.

As someone who is very comfortable with soldering and didn’t even think twice about getting and building a XoXbox kit*, this was the single most painful soldering job I have ever done. Jesus wept, trying to solder a thru hole component to pads for a tiny smd component that are less than a mm apart...

yes agreed. now try doing the midi out mod on a microbrute if you feel like you need a reason to savagely murder your neighbours with a soldering iron

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
So apparently Korg briefly shared a photo with the supposed new volcas on fb!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I bought my Virus TI2 back (well, not the exact same one - actually I guess it's possible, and that'd be pretty cool) because I had the ducats to spare and missed it so dearly - issues with Live be damned. But to my dismay, I found that when I initially sold it, I deleted all of the patch banks I had bought and made over the years... how stupid of me, it was only a 2.5MB folder.

Then today a friend messaged me with a picture of a folder on his Mac - all my old patch banks!!! I'm eternally relieved and grateful; I will buy him all the beers for sending them my way. Anyway that's my story.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Turns out Patterning 2 was released this summer and it’s great! Finally pulled the trigger on a new iPad to take advantage of it since the Air is chugging and I’m sorely in need of more storage space.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Can anyone un-sell me on the Arturia Keystep as a controller keyboard for ableton-style (bitwig) based jamming/live performance? I have plenty of knobs already, I dont think 25 keys is quite enough, arp/seq looks fun and usable, and the price is right. What do you hate? (Or mildly dislike?)

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Can anyone un-sell me on the Arturia Keystep as a controller keyboard for ableton-style (bitwig) based jamming/live performance? I have plenty of knobs already, I dont think 25 keys is quite enough, arp/seq looks fun and usable, and the price is right. What do you hate? (Or mildly dislike?)

I own one and it works well for my small space. Don’t use any other features though. Just as midi input. I have a 61 key akai keyboard and I hardly use it now.

Also it is 32 keys I’m pretty sure.

Price and features are just right as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Hamelekim posted:

I own one and it works well for my small space. Don’t use any other features though. Just as midi input. I have a 61 key akai keyboard and I hardly use it now.

Also it is 32 keys I’m pretty sure.

Price and features are just right as well.

Cheers. Reasonably sturdy for a little thing? I had meant that the extra keys seemed attractive over 25-keys models.