Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I thought I had a bad suspension bobble but after cleaning the trunk out the clunking stopped, so I think it was just junk shifting back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Queen Combat posted:

I thought I had a bad suspension bobble but after cleaning the trunk out the clunking stopped, so I think it was just junk shifting back and forth.

Yo I'm weirded out about starting an EMT-B class without knowing literally anything about healthcare. Any advice on what to self-study some?

I've taken a required CPR/BLS for Providers course (or at least the online bit... in class is Jan 5) and I've been reading up on EKG analysis and I found the National Standard Curriculum online but I have no idea what's most important to know or where to spend a lot of time and I HATE going into a class blind, even if it's "Don't kill people you're trying to help 101"

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
EMT-B won't touch EKG, it's more of a "package, stabilize, transport" job, so you're already ahead of the game. The class should be designed as the entry into healthcare, and ease you into it.

This isn't meant to be dismissive, though! The job EMTs do is the bedrock of care, and those skills are applicable at every level. They're going to pound into your head that your safety takes priority above all else, but patient safety is a close second. Don't forget that. Every scenario starts with "BSI, scene safe?" (BSI meaning body substance isolation stuff, like gloves), and both are ways to protect yourself. Even in day-to-day incidents, like someone choking in a restaurant or collapsing from an MI, you evaluate your safety before approaching and treating. Anything from panicked family members, bloody vomit with an HIV+ person, trying to treat in the middle of a roadway, or even being too physically small to heimlich Larry Bird without breaking your back, those all apply and are what 1/3rd of the class will probably be about.

In fact, studies show that BLS care (two EMTs) vs ALS care (paramedic or higher), has a vastly superior survival rate in nearly every category when they're standalone without extra equipment not usually available, due to the focus in the very important basics. The only category that ALS care shows higher survival rates, cardiac issues, is even superceded by an EMT if an AED is available to them at the time of incident.

I'd rather be surrounded by EMTs or people with a cellphone and an AED, than trusting myself in 99% of cases

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 24, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

EMT-B won't touch EKG, it's more of a "package, stabilize, transport" job, so you're already ahead of the game. The class should be designed as the entry into healthcare, and ease you into it.

This isn't meant to be dismissive, though! The job EMTs do is the bedrock of care, and those skills are applicable at every level. They're going to pound into your head that your safety takes priority above all else, but patient safety is a close second. Don't forget that. Every scenario starts with "BSI, scene safe?" (BSI meaning body substance isolation stuff, like gloves), and both are ways to protect yourself. Even in day-to-day incidents, like someone choking in a restaurant or collapsing from an MI, you evaluate your safety before approaching and treating. Anything from panicked family members, bloody vomit with an HIV+ person, trying to treat in the middle of a roadway, or even being too physically small to heimlich Larry Bird without breaking your back, those all apply and are what 1/3rd of the class will probably be about.

In fact, studies show that BLS care (two EMTs) vs ALS care (paramedic or higher), has a vastly superior survival rate in nearly every category when they're standalone without extra equipment not usually available, due to the focus in the very important basics. The only category that ALS care shows higher survival rates, cardiac issues, is even superceded by an EMT if an AED is available to them at the time of incident.

I'd rather be surrounded by EMTs or people with a cellphone and an AED, than trusting myself in 99% of cases

Awesome, thanks a bunch for the confidence boost! I'll just watch these NREMT practical videos a bunch until I know the procedures as second nature then.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

8:30 am and 32 degrees c outside already. Welcome to an Australian Christmas!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I want milk and cookies but I don't want milk halfway into tying one on for Christmas eve

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Ferremit posted:

8:30 am and 32 degrees c outside already. Welcome to an Australian Christmas!

HNNNNGHHHHHH. I'll fuckin' tradeja. 13C and wetter than gently caress :<.

(wanna trade diesels too?)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
7°C and wet. Popping down the hill tomorrow morning is going to be fun.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
So, today Kevin Spacey was charged with felony sexual assault.

Two hours after the charge was announced, he posts this video to his youtube page, and in doing so makes a late play for "most WTF moment of 2018."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZveA-NAIDI

There isn't a :psyduck: big enough. It wasn't condoned by Netflix, and is creepy as hell. I wasn't before, but now I'm fully convinced that, somewhere, there are bodies.

He's imitating a literal rapist-murderer (Frank Underwood did both in HoC).

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Merry Xmas everyone!

My nephew seems very happy with the wooden Dump Truck I rescued from hard rubbish and repainted. I had to replace 90% of the wood on it and it’s very much a 10ft paint job but he’s loving pulling it around the neighbourhood.

I hope everyone else has as pleasant a morning as I have!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Merry Christmas Car Friends!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Queen Combat posted:

So, today Kevin Spacey was charged with felony sexual assault.

Two hours after the charge was announced, he posts this video to his youtube page, and in doing so makes a late play for "most WTF moment of 2018."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZveA-NAIDI

There isn't a :psyduck: big enough. It wasn't condoned by Netflix, and is creepy as hell. I wasn't before, but now I'm fully convinced that, somewhere, there are bodies.

He's imitating a literal rapist-murderer (Frank Underwood did both in HoC).

What a cheeky Christmas nonce.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Happy Xmas y'all.

All traffic is being held. This is... Annoying

E: and we're right back where we started because gently caress caltrans.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 25, 2018

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic posted:

NO

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Adiabatic posted:

You too, boo!

I just finished staining all of the cabinet surrounds. A couple of coats of poly and I should have my kitchen back by Wednesday.

My family is going bonkers, glad I chose not to spend the holidays with them. It's looking like my parents are trying to out crazy one another. It's a competition with no winners.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

cursedshitbox posted:

HNNNNGHHHHHH. I'll fuckin' tradeja. 13C and wetter than gently caress :<.

(wanna trade diesels too?)

Someone decided that lunch outdoors was a good idea. Nothing quite says merry Christmas like your scrotum being stuck to your thigh while you wait for the roast to cool down from surface of the sun hot...

May consider diesel swap. At least people might stop pulling out in front of me off if I drove a literal tank...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Merry Shitscram, Dave.

It seems more up your alley, especially if you insist on combining milk and booze. :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Milk and booze go fine together, The Dude would agree

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Fukkin grinch up in here.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 25, 2018

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm about 99% sure my dad was reading H-doujins until I got up for a snack

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

INCHI DICKARI posted:

I'm about 99% sure my dad was reading H-doujins until I got up for a snack

I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Adiabatic posted:

Merry Christmas car friend! Don't follow the nremt protocol perfectly, in your first class or two you'll get your practical skills packet. THAT is your Bible, and that is what you'll be tested on in class. It is subtly different from nremt, though practically it'll all become automatic enough that the differences in what you need to say you are doing don't matter.

No one uses or has cravats to use for stabilizing limbs around here, so if your instructor is a motherfucker about it and they make you feel like you won't get it in the field, don't worry. Just pass the class and you'll be fine. I had four classmates have melt downs and drop out over an elbow sling with a single instructor.

You are smart and driven, you've got this. Also bug your local rescue to do some observer shifts. It's a lot of fun for everyone.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Went to my dad's house for Christmas eve, it was pretty dope. Though it got weird at the end when he pulled my wife and I aside and told us all about this scary story he saw on 60 minutes about plastics and how they're ruining the world and polluting everything and he saw this video of a river of plastic trash and how freaky it was.

I watched him pour old gasoline down a storm drain once. v:shobon:v

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Merry Christmas everyone

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Queen Combat posted:

Holy gently caress abandon thread
:laugh:

In seriousness, though, I've done the nail-into-foot thing, and yeah, it sucks, and that was without it showing any kind of inflammation etc, so I do hope you're doing something about it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
No more farting around with lovely little 2-ton trolley jacks and blocks of wood :woop:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
3 ton trolley jack and blocks of wood!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Merry Christmas, you filthy animals.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Santa brought me a set of Cobalt drill bits!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Queen Combat posted:

:ssh:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Merry Christmas to everyone who doesn't own a Mopar.

To everyone with a Mopar, stay safe on your journeys.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm eating cookies for breakfast and idgaf

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Queen Combat posted:

2-ton long chassis/high lift trolley jacks are where it's at.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Merry Christmas you bunch of lovable assholes, from an Aussie currently a loooooooooooooooooooooong way from home :D

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Merry Christmas car friend! Don't follow the nremt protocol perfectly, in your first class or two you'll get your practical skills packet. THAT is your Bible, and that is what you'll be tested on in class. It is subtly different from nremt, though practically it'll all become automatic enough that the differences in what you need to say you are doing don't matter.

No one uses or has cravats to use for stabilizing limbs around here, so if your instructor is a motherfucker about it and they make you feel like you won't get it in the field, don't worry. Just pass the class and you'll be fine. I had four classmates have melt downs and drop out over an elbow sling with a single instructor.

You are smart and driven, you've got this. Also bug your local rescue to do some observer shifts. It's a lot of fun for everyone.

Thanks for the great advice! I've got your and Queen Combat's post saved and I'll revisit them often.

Appreciate this community.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

2-ton long chassis/high lift trolley jacks are where it's at.

The Daytona jacks are actually pretty high lift on their own - whole reason I bought one is to be able to lift my WJ in a single shot without wooden blocks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Merry Christmas, goons.

Previa_fun posted:

Went to my dad's house for Christmas eve, it was pretty dope. Though it got weird at the end when he pulled my wife and I aside and told us all about this scary story he saw on 60 minutes about plastics and how they're ruining the world and polluting everything and he saw this video of a river of plastic trash and how freaky it was.

I watched him pour old gasoline down a storm drain once. v:shobon:v

You gotta tell him about glitter.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Anyone have the old AI Christmas tree? IoC, and sigtrap before him used to put it up.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Basically everything I got was Carhartt, candy, or knives :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Daytona jacks are actually pretty high lift on their own - whole reason I bought one is to be able to lift my WJ in a single shot without wooden blocks.
I used my 2T on mine - it's the length that makes it 2T, it'd probably be 3T at normal dimensions.