Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For what it's worth, I feel like a lot of the Quake elements and difficulty really come into full effect in Episodes 2 and 3.

I like Quake I just never got into it to the extent of the manic bunny hopping rocket jumping flying all over the place kind of thing and was a bit worried Dusk was going to be more in that style of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Levitate posted:

I like Quake I just never got into it to the extent of the manic bunny hopping rocket jumping flying all over the place kind of thing and was a bit worried Dusk was going to be more in that style of play.

... but it is? Moreso than Quake, even. By the end of the game bhopping it's pretty much required.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Johnny Joestar posted:

i mostly just replay hl2 roughly once a year because it's still a banger and don't ever give any thought to the possibility of a sequel
I've replayed it a few times in the past five years and I always have to slog through the vehicle parts (especially the loving boat) and by the time Nova Prospekt--my favourite part--is over, I've had my fill. A lot of the physics puzzles really seem like tech demo material. I think the gravity gun really did the game a disservice by making the novel tech of the day such a major part of the gameplay. Timelessness was never a possibility.

I didn't play HL1 until 2004 (I bought it the same day as Doom 3) but I'd agree that it is a far more memorable game even though it was basically a retro nostalgia game when I first played it. HL2 felt like it was heralding a new era of gaming but we're like three eras later now so that aspect of it doesn't really do anything for me now.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
They really need a riveter arena in Dusk, that gun owns so hard in multiplayer.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

CJacobs posted:

I mean they could do both and make even more money so that's never really been an excuse.

Last I heard they regarded Portal 2 and its millions of sales as a failure because they could have made more money on less effort and expenses just coming out TF2 and DOTA 2 cosmetics.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

treat posted:

... but it is? Moreso than Quake, even. By the end of the game bhopping it's pretty much required.

I dunno, like I said I've just gotten through episode 1.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outside of the godawful opening tram ride and weak Xen bits, Half-Life 1 is a well paced, fun, and set piece shifting shooter all the way through.

Half-Life 2 basically doubled down on all the bad parts of Half-Life 1's gun play and cutscenes and then went absolutely insane on set piece variety to the detriment of being a consistently fun or cohesive game

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Barudak posted:

Outside of the godawful opening tram ride

:getout:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
To be fair, the tram ride was really cool on the first viewing in 1998. And Xen is an amazing alien environment even though the gameplay is weaker.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Half-Life is one of the earliest examples of a modern game focusing purely on the first-playthrough-experience, I feel. It revolutionized interactive narratives in gaming but it only got that way because they went all-in on it stylistically and do not let you skip a single thing. For the first playthrough, it's great. But after beating HL2 I never wanted to play it again for the longest time because I'd get nothing new out of the cutscenes and other non-shooting segments.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Barudak posted:

Outside of the godawful opening tram ride and weak Xen bits, Half-Life 1 is a well paced, fun, and set piece shifting shooter all the way through.

Half-Life 2 basically doubled down on all the bad parts of Half-Life 1's gun play and cutscenes and then went absolutely insane on set piece variety to the detriment of being a consistently fun or cohesive game

I will fight you IRL

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I love the tram ride but honestly, after seeing it so many times, I kinda wish I could make it go faster.

Edit: I liked Xen actually, the jumping could be a bit iffy, but it was a neat change of pace aesthetically.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've unwittingly participated again in the roundabout discussion of 'is half life 2 good or bad? let this thread of people dedicated to very old first person shooter games tell you it's absolutely bad because [insert noises here]'

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

catlord posted:

I love the tram ride but honestly, after seeing it so many times, I kinda wish I could make it go faster.

map c1a0 in console. The tram ride was neat in 1998 but there's no point watching it a 10th time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HolyKrap posted:

map c1a0 in console. The tram ride was neat in 1998 but there's no point watching it a 10th time

I learned how to use console commands/cheat on PC just to skip the tram ride.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The tram ride is fine but everything between the end of that and getting the pistol isn't. I don't really care waiting for scientists to open the door / start the test / die to progress.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TT1K (Time To 1st Kill) in a game is a very important metric to me and ideally the answer is "however long it takes for me to start pulling the trigger once the game finishes loading"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Different games are different things to different people. I like the Doom style jump in and get murdering, but I don't want all shooters to be like that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Barudak posted:

TT1K (Time To 1st Kill) in a game is a very important metric to me and ideally the answer is "however long it takes for me to start pulling the trigger once the game finishes loading"

Well Dusk is pretty good with that...

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Those "Pro Blood" videos from this guy are loving great. I normally can't watch people play video games at length but Blood is a strong exception.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
To be honest episode 1 and 2 already looked pretty dated by the time they came out, outside of the obligatory incremental upgrades to Source that trickled into the base game at the same time. I don't think it'd really be a question of being "retro" for the final 2 or 3 hours of the Episodes gameplay to match up to the existing 2.

It would be a whole different thing for an actual Half-Life 3 to come out and for some reason stick strictly to the gameplay of Half-Life 2, just as it'd have been weird if HL2 had been the exact same gameplay as HL1 by the time it was out.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

To be honest episode 1 and 2 already looked pretty dated by the time they came out, outside of the obligatory incremental upgrades to Source that trickled into the base game at the same time.

I realize I'm baiting a really long and dumb argument here but this is actually not quite true. Episode 1, yes; it just got a small incremental engine upgrade. However, the Orange Box came along with a major engine revision that had sweeping enough effects (even on the game physics) that the pre-Orange Box and post-Orange Box versions of base HL2 have different speedrun categories on speedrun.com (and substantially different times). I remember actually being pretty annoyed at it, because my computer could run the pre-Orange Box versions of HL2/Ep1 fine, but ran Orange Box games like absolute poo poo at the time.

Episode 2 wasn't exactly Crysis, but it looked about standard (if not a bit above-average) for 2008, and TF2 and Portal both looked outright pretty for the time.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
That's not exactly a controversial opinion. Source SDK 2007 was a pretty major leap for the engine. I remember when a lot of source mods began updating to SDK '07 and how exciting it was. They often felt like entirely new games. Zombie Panic: Source was a pretty good example of that.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiM06PQ_uPg

Half-Life 2 MMod should be coming out later today or tomorrow (creator had power outages in his country :( ) but here's the release trailer. Looks very cool. Tasty weapon animations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Half life's tram ride scared the crap out of me as a kid. It really plucked at the "I'm in danger" nerves. I was convinced it was going to go to poo poo any second and the helicopter taking off was peak of that feeling.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

treat posted:

Well, I already wasn't keen on Dusk for its Quake 1 resemblance, and this makes me even more convinced it's not my thing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

bunnyhopping is not even remotely required in dusk

i don't know or care what people do in the deathmatch mode. it's not a thing needed in the slightest for the campaign.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Thyrork posted:

Half life's tram ride scared the crap out of me as a kid. It really plucked at the "I'm in danger" nerves. I was convinced it was going to go to poo poo any second and the helicopter taking off was peak of that feeling.

:psyduck:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't know or care what people do in the deathmatch mode. it's not a thing needed in the slightest for the campaign.

Yeah, simple strafing is pretty much always valid for avoiding projectiles.

Though I gotta say, someone reacting to a game being like Quake 1 by going "oh no" instead of "hell yeah" is totally alien to me.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiM06PQ_uPg

Half-Life 2 MMod should be coming out later today or tomorrow (creator had power outages in his country :( ) but here's the release trailer. Looks very cool. Tasty weapon animations.

Not even mmod can make the HL2 SMG satisfying to use. That loving gun.

EDIT: got project warlock for Christmas. Its pretty fun, although the hand grenade upgrade breaks the game.

Klaus88 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 25, 2018

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's also greatly simplified bunnyhopping where you pretty much just straferun then press and release space.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

The Game Music Library version used in GZDoom needs to be updated for non-Master System/Genesis stuff to work, but it's apparently not as easy as just plugging the new code in (I think it needs to be adapted from a Foobar plugin?) so it keeps getting pushed aside and forgotten about.
I actually did attempt to move kode54's Game Music Emu into ZDoom once, but I quickly found myself out of my depth and didn't know anyone to turn to for assistance. The core audio code for ZDoom only needs a small tweak to the usage of one function that either gained or lost a parameter, but the library linking part, I'm hopelessly lost with. It just does not like the DLL I compiled from kode54's repository, and I haven't the foggiest idea where to start fixing things to make them talk to one another correctly.

Also I'd probably need to replace the source code for the entire goddamn library which ZDoom includes for some reason, which means figuring out how to make a CMake file for kode54's version, and just shoot me now this must be why Graf is putting this off for as long as he can

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

It's also greatly simplified bunnyhopping where you pretty much just straferun then press and release space.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum where I think Dusk's bunnyhopping is too simple. You never lose your built-up speed as long as you keep jumping, even if you run into walls. Singleplayer is fine cause it's not really necessary but it turns multiplayer into nonstop jump spam.
The guy I played MP with for awhile actually got some nerve damage in his arm from tapping space too much. Arm rests are important :eng101:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Johnny Joestar posted:

To be fair, dweller in darkness is the only level that I think absolutely requires it, but it absolutely does require it. Unless you're using cheats, or maybe playing on the easiest difficulty and crouch sliding a bunch, I don't see how that level would be possible. The game definitely encourages you to use its movement mechanics, so I really couldn't recommend it to someone who admittedly dislikes those kinds of mechanics.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i've unwittingly participated again in the roundabout discussion of 'is half life 2 good or bad? let this thread of people dedicated to very old first person shooter games tell you it's absolutely bad because [insert noises here]'

next time it'll be the discussion of "remember how everyone hated doom 2 when it came out and it was a colossal disappointment? so terrible [more noises here]"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I figured an HL replay would be in order. However I'm getting a bug in Blast Pit where the fan doesn't shove you upward like it's supposed to. Anyway around this other than noclipping?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

treat posted:

To be fair, dweller in darkness is the only level that I think absolutely requires it, but it absolutely does require it. Unless you're using cheats, or maybe playing on the easiest difficulty and crouch sliding a bunch, I don't see how that level would be possible. The game definitely encourages you to use its movement mechanics, so I really couldn't recommend it to someone who admittedly dislikes those kinds of mechanics.

it...really doesn't require bunnyhopping, though? there was never a point where i needed to do it, and i've played on both ICTI and CM.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

I figured an HL replay would be in order. However I'm getting a bug in Blast Pit where the fan doesn't shove you upward like it's supposed to. Anyway around this other than noclipping?

Which version are you playing?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You don’t really need to bunny hop for Dweller in Darkness, I get really sick of it so after the first wave or two I just resorted to circle strafing around the perimeter and jumping off the edge whenever I got in trouble. It is very helpful to be able to do it for Jacob, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

it...really doesn't require bunnyhopping, though? there was never a point where i needed to do it, and i've played on both ICTI and CM.

Yeah it totally doesn't require bunnyhopping. It is a ton of fun when the levels open up and let you go ham, though.