Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The only litrpg that's worth a drat is the caverns and creatures series :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

uberkeyzer posted:

In the intervening 20 pages we decided no one wanted to hear about unreadable WoW fanfic. So thanks but get the gently caress out.

Technically Dodge Tank was unreadable FFXI and FFXIV fanfic, but close enough.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The only litrpg that's worth a drat is the caverns and creatures series :colbert:

I've heard good things about King of Sartar, but haven't ever managed to track it down myself.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

Hi thread! I just started watching Travelers and I really enjoy it! It had me thinking about Fringe, which I also liked quite a lot, and I think it's the presence of (not too convoluted) time/dimension jumping that's really cool. I feel the same way about GURPS Infinite Worlds, for instance.

Can someone recommend some sci-fi that I might like?

^ ^ ^ Isn't King of Sartar a game supplement for Glorantha? Unless I'm just missing the joke.

I know I'm a bit late to this party but Spaceling by Doris Piserchia is about an interdimensional conspiracy. It's a bit dated (it's still got that 70s worry about overpopulation as a background element) but it really grabbed my attention as a kid, was one of my favorite books. Surprised no one recommended the Laundry series by Charles Stross has some similar themes to Fringe though less dimensional jumping. Also the Travis Chase books by Patrick Lee, starting with The Breach. Those latter are pretty schlocky thrillers but they at least make use of their mysterious artifacts for story purposes and there is at least one Fringe-like plotline in the second book. I read all three despite them being kind of eyerollable power fantasy in places.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Caverns and Creatures is a cute idea brought low by the fact that every protagonist is a massively unfunny rear end in a top hat who probably deserves to be trapped in a D&D dimension tortured by an insane wizard god.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

Caverns and Creatures is a cute idea brought low by the fact that every protagonist is a massively unfunny rear end in a top hat who probably deserves to be trapped in a D&D dimension tortured by an insane wizard god.

That's...why we like it?

If you want the cute idea, go back 20 years and read Guardians of the Flame by Joel Rosenberg.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm currently reading three books and I'm gonna tell you folks about 'em, because it's Christmas Eve and I feel like sharing:

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews. I don't usually read urban fantasy, but I met a friend who reads nothing but this genre (or paranormal romance) and she swore to me that this was an actually good book, and one of the best places to start in the genre. I'm about halfway through, and y'know? She's right! It's a murder mystery mixed with interesting world-building. The concept is, magic came back and it comes back in waves, so one hour your car and lights could be working, and the next they'd just out and out die. Hope you have magical lights! The world is coping with this, and our sassy heroine is a mercenary who has a magic sword and a leather jacket. So. Her guardian dies, and she gets into investigating, and it looks like whatever killed him is also killing the local were-critters, and I'm enjoying it! Not high lit, but genuine fun!

Cyberstealth by SN Lewitt: Top Gun + sci-fi war + there's a spy among us!! + cyberpunk interfacing with the stealthplanes to fly 'em + the main character is one of the Romani. This is one of those wild books you can only really get in sci-fi - it's short, 220~ pages, but it's dense with solid character drama and an intriguing plot. One of the flying sequences was one of the best sequences I've read in a book, full of wonder and exhilaration.

Queen of Angels by Greg Bear: I respect the author, he's way more educated than I am. The semi-stream of consciousness style with very few commas is really neat to read. The premise is another murder-mystery, but again the world-building really makes this shine. I've talked about this book before in this thread, so I'll keep this short. Suffice it to say that I really, really love this book. The concept of sending a probe to explore planets - with a setup so it literally grows its own AI computer when it arrives at its destination is really cool sci-fi.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

occamsnailfile posted:

^ ^ ^ Isn't King of Sartar a game supplement for Glorantha? Unless I'm just missing the joke.

It's all setting stuff, presented as in world scholarship,with no game rules, so vaguely in the same kind of place as Dictionary of the Khazars.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

What resonates about Gibson isn't the technological predictions (which are just things that existed in the 80's but with goofy sci-fi names and plugged directly into your brain) but the social ones. It's not important how many megabytes a computer has or whether it's surgically inserted into your brain or carried in your pocket but the attitudes of global alienation and dehumanization.

Even if we accept the idea that technological progress can be measured and compared, the results of 50 years of semiconductor development (automation of previously labor-intensive information tasks like payroll processing, inventory management, and calculation, solar panels, LEDs...) doesn't seem that much greater than the effects of industrial automation, steam power, electrification, or artificial nitrogen synthesis. But as a society we've accepted that technological progress is a line on a graph and it's going up, UP, UP!, and Gibson captured how that makes people feel.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Thranguy posted:

It's all setting stuff, presented as in world scholarship,with no game rules, so vaguely in the same kind of place as Dictionary of the Khazars.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't fall into the same bin as litrpg. Litrpg is novelized MMO sessions down to the xp gain being enumerated. King of Sartar, well, is definitely not that. Dictionary of the Khazars is an apt comparison.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

andrew smash posted:

Yeah, it definitely doesn't fall into the same bin as litrpg. Litrpg is novelized MMO sessions down to the xp gain being enumerated. King of Sartar, well, is definitely not that. Dictionary of the Khazars is an apt comparison.

To be fair, not all LitRPG enumerates every single EXP gain, though it's a pretty common trope.

If you really want to encapsulate LitRPG in an idea, it's that the heroes shortcut the process of learning and practicing skills through game or gamelike elements.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Victorkm posted:

That's...why we like it?

Idk, I just don't really find books about a bunch of people I hate being dicks to each other forever to be fun? It's like, ok, sometimes they get the upper hand, sometimes the GM does, but in either case the winner is someone I hate. For me to enjoy a book I generally want at least one or two main characters who I don't feel nothing but loathing and disgust for.

There are parts of those books I enjoyed, but I stopped reading once I realized I would find any conclusion unsatisfying because it would still be these assholes reaching it.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I mean, at least Julian is pretty cool, right?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Victorkm posted:

To be fair, not all LitRPG enumerates every single EXP gain, though it's a pretty common trope.

If you really want to encapsulate LitRPG in an idea, it's that the heroes shortcut the process of learning and practicing skills through game or gamelike elements.

Shut the gently caress up nerd

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, Julian is kinda the everyman character who has no real idea what's going on. The rest of em (cept partially Dave) are asshats. Dave... Dave is less of an rear end in a top hat than Tim or Cooper but he's still not exactly a good guy.

That's why I love the series though. Batshit insanity, jokes about Dave's mom, and seeing how many different ways Julian can kill a horse.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Speaking of Caverns and Creatures, the first four books are on sale for $0.99 for the 2 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Caverns-Creatures-Books-Robert-Bevan-ebook/dp/B01BK7D738

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Captain Monkey posted:

Speaking of Caverns and Creatures, the first four books are on sale for $0.99 for the 2 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Caverns-Creatures-Books-Robert-Bevan-ebook/dp/B01BK7D738
Overpriced.

To not be completely negative, this

StrixNebulosa posted:

Queen of Angels by Greg Bear: I respect the author, he's way more educated than I am. The semi-stream of consciousness style with very few commas is really neat to read. The premise is another murder-mystery, but again the world-building really makes this shine. I've talked about this book before in this thread, so I'll keep this short. Suffice it to say that I really, really love this book. The concept of sending a probe to explore planets - with a setup so it literally grows its own AI computer when it arrives at its destination is really cool sci-fi.
is a very solid recommendation; Queen of Angels is awesome.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

is a very solid recommendation; Queen of Angels is awesome.

Yessss. I haven't finished it yet, but between how good it is and how good Heads was, I went ahead and ordered Eon. This is what I'm looking for in my hard sci-fi - lots and lots of cool ideas and a semi-plausible future with excellent writing.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Eon is pretty straightforward but I still loved the book. I ended up rereading it a number of times because the ideas behind it are cool.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Pleasantly surprised by Stevereads' Best of SFF list this year:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I love Glen Cook too much but Port has to be on there on the back of being so weird.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Solitair posted:

I've been so enmeshed in feminist sci-fi lately that I have to wonder: why are there so few women on that list?

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've been so enmeshed in feminist sci-fi lately that I have to wonder: why are there so few women on that list?

Slightly higher mean, slightly lower standard deviation.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

What book series should I read next?

YH Lee’s Machineries of Empire
J McDevitt’s Alex Benedict stories
N Asher’s Polity series
A Reynold’s Revelation Space

There’s also The Expanse but I know that would win any poll here

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

pmchem posted:

But it's bad, why would you want to read it?

You should read Ninefox Gambit.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

pmchem posted:

N Asher’s Polity series

All of those are worth reading but my personal order (descending) would be Lee, Asher, McDevitt, Reynolds. More body horror in Asher and Reynolds.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

But it's bad, why would you want to read it?

You should read Ninefox Gambit.

Or not.
It is not really that amazing that goons pretend it to be.

Reynolds is probably first priority since Revelation space is a classic by now.
Asher if you want something Bankslike without the subtlety.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

pmchem posted:

N Asher’s Polity series

I've read all of those except McDevitt and I'd rank them Reynolds, Lee then Asher. Machineries of Empire is a very close second to Revelation Space so you can't go wrong with either imo. Asher is okay but it's more like airport level sci fi. If you're set on reading Asher for some reason then the Spatterjay trilogy is way better than the Polity.

Edit - I should clarify that I'm pretty sure The Spatterjay trilogy takes place in the polity universe. I'd recommend it over the Agent Cormac series is what I meant to say.

johnsonrod fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 27, 2018

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Solitair posted:

Gnomon is the best SF that came out this year, haven't read the second Baru or the KSR yet, rest sounds pretty meh.

e: Oh, yeah, Blackfish City is pretty fun even if nothing groundbreaking.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Foundryside was very bland YA.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Or not.
It is not really that amazing that goons pretend it to be.

Reynolds is probably first priority since Revelation space is a classic by now.
Asher if you want something Bankslike without the subtlety.

Ninefox Gambit gets recced because it's interesting - the world-building, the characters, the entire thing with Jedao - it's interesting, unusual, and worth reading. The plot itself isn't the best, as it's a flawed book, but I figure it's different enough to reliably rec.

Unlike, say, The Expanse which doesn't have enough to justify itself as interesting sci-fi, imo.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

This is correct. Waste of a dollar.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

anilEhilated posted:

Gnomon is the best SF that came out this year, haven't read the second Baru or the KSR yet, rest sounds pretty meh.

e: Oh, yeah, Blackfish City is pretty fun even if nothing groundbreaking.

When I said pleasantly surprised, it was mostly because of Baru, Blackish, Gnomon and that Vorrh sequel. Are those Sylvain Teuvel books any good?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Solitair posted:

When I said pleasantly surprised, it was mostly because of Baru, Blackish, Gnomon and that Vorrh sequel. Are those Sylvain Teuvel books any good?

It’s presence on a list of good books makes the entire list suspect.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

pseudorandom name posted:

It’s presence on a list of good books makes the entire list suspect.
Which is why Gnomon being in fact awesome needs to be pointed out.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Read man in the high castle and then startrd watching the show. The inconclusive ending to the book was annoying but, albeit this is based on the first two episodes, it seems like the show is just way dumber than the book

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Read man in the high castle and then startrd watching the show. The inconclusive ending to the book was annoying but, albeit this is based on the first two episodes, it seems like the show is just way dumber than the book

The book and the show barely have anything in common, so it's best to put the book out of mind if you want to watch the show.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

crazy to think about the concept of a world where the nazis won.. can you imagine?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

A human heart posted:

crazy to think about the concept of a world where the nazis won.. can you imagine?
The book is dumb for a rather different reason. Enjoyable read but damnit that's one of the stupidest twist endings I've ever seen. Then again, it is PKD...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finished up The Gone World and yep, that's a mind fucker alright.

Good book though, just damned weird.