Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

content posted:

I know Advance Wars fans were disappointed with Tiny Metal, but worth it at $12?

Maybe wait for wargroove?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VampiricGiraffe
Feb 5, 2012
So I kind of feel like the switch is unwieldy in mobile form for any kind of twitch/skill-based control scheme (I was playing Zelda and found it much harder than when docked with the joy-cons on the controller base thing). Other than that it’s a great mobile console though, which made me think I’d love to use it as a turn-based JRPG machine.

I’ve only really played Persona 5 and some Final Fantasy games out of that genre, but generally really enjoyed both. Any suggestions for what switch offerings would be most similar? Was kicking around grabbing Disagaea 5 based on the convo a few pages up

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

bushisms.txt posted:

Before the Switch launched I jokingly asked if there was going to be a new Advance Wars on it, and was told to wait for Wargroove.

If Wargroove ever actually comes out, it's going to be mediocre at best

content
Feb 13, 2014

bushisms.txt posted:

I will continue to do so.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i remember a few people were excited for tiny metal but then it came out and there was absolute radio silence

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

VampiricGiraffe posted:

So I kind of feel like the switch is unwieldy in mobile form for any kind of twitch/skill-based control scheme (I was playing Zelda and found it much harder than when docked with the joy-cons on the controller base thing). Other than that it’s a great mobile console though, which made me think I’d love to use it as a turn-based JRPG machine.

I’ve only really played Persona 5 and some Final Fantasy games out of that genre, but generally really enjoyed both. Any suggestions for what switch offerings would be most similar? Was kicking around grabbing Disagaea 5 based on the convo a few pages up

There's plenty of slower stuff, sure, but a grip case for when playing mobile did wonders for me. I personally use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Protective-Y...witch+grip+case

The reviews speak for themselves! You're absolutely right that on handheld, the switch's ergonomics are kind of rear end but thankfully it's an easy fix

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Gripweed posted:

Before the Switch launched I jokingly asked if there was going to be a new Advance Wars on it, and was told to wait for Wargroove.

If Wargroove ever actually comes out, it's going to be mediocre at best

Meh, the lastest developer update showed it has a lot going for it that will make it at least "good"from a users point with all the customization features.

https://youtu.be/73H6yS4nk8k

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

Meh, the lastest developer update showed it has a lot going for it that will make it at least "good"from a users point with all the customization features.

https://youtu.be/73H6yS4nk8k

It's all about the map design in those games though

VampiricGiraffe
Feb 5, 2012

KingSlime posted:

There's plenty of slower stuff, sure, but a grip case for when playing mobile did wonders for me. I personally use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Protective-Y...witch+grip+case

The reviews speak for themselves! You're absolutely right that on handheld, the switch's ergonomics are kind of rear end but thankfully it's an easy fix

Thanks for the recommendation; that looks like it would help! Still interested in the game recs, as I loved persona 5 and am interested in branching out into the genre, but the grip could widen the array of fun options quite a bit

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Sadly, traditional turn based RPG pickings are kind of slim on switch (for now). I can think of Octopath Traveler, but that one harkens back to the SNES 16 bit rpg days, and it might be a hard sell if your JRPG experience consists mostly of Persona 5 (very cool, very polished, very legal game). Disgaea 5 is a really deep and solid turn based strategy rpg that will give you hundreds of hours of content if you don't mind super corny anime stuff, and hmm..maybe Into the Breach or Steamworld Heist? Those are turn based strategy RPGs rather than Persona-style turn based RPGs, but they offer a similar flow/pace. They're both very good and cheap to boot.

Mario Rabbids is also a turn based strategy game, and is a very highly rated switch exclusive. It's probably worth your time (I haven't played it yet, I need to).

In the (far) future we'll have Dragon Quest XI and Shin Megami Tensei V to look forward to. SMTV will be right up your alley, as it's the "main" franchine from which Persona spun off from. The combat is nearly identical, along with demon negotiations, fusing, weakness-based combat, etc etc. It's going to be extremely good (probably)

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 25, 2018

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Whip Whip is a super fun Neo Geo inspired arcade platformer that I just picked up for 4 bucks.

Here’s a gameplay vid(not mine)
https://youtu.be/iJqpSMOVl7k

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I would legit pay upwards of $100 American dollars to get a digital collection of the entire run of Nintendo Power. I never had a subscription as a kid and only grabbed random issues when I could afford it or if a friend had extra, a full physical collection is one of those dream things I'd buy if I had unlimited space, money, and time.

this is only about half i think but the internet archive's got you covered chief: https://archive.org/details/NintendoPower_201710

I'm on my phone and at work or i would dig around to try and find the other half

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

KingSlime posted:

Sadly, traditional turn based RPG pickings are kind of slim on switch (for now). I can think of Octopath Traveler, but that one harkens back to the SNES 16 bit rpg days, and it might be a hard sell if your JRPG experience consists mostly of Persona 5 (very cool, very polished, very legal game). Disgaea 5 is a really deep and solid turn based strategy rpg that will give you hundreds of hours of content if you don't mind super corny anime stuff, and hmm..maybe Into the Breach or Steamworld Heist? Those are turn based strategy RPGs rather than Persona-style turn based RPGs, but they offer a similar flow/pace. They're both very good and cheap to boot.

Mario Rabbids is also a turn based strategy game, and is a very highly rated switch exclusive. It's probably worth your time (I haven't played it yet, I need to).

In the (far) future we'll have Dragon Quest XI and Shin Megami Tensei V to look forward to. SMTV will be right up your alley, as it's the "main" franchine from which Persona spun off from. The combat is nearly identical, along with demon negotiations, fusing, weakness-based combat, etc etc. It's going to be extremely good (probably)

There's also I Am Setsuna and its pseudo-sequel that I forget the name of. I played the first one and it is OK, but if you really love the genre you'd probably like it.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
DQXI is a great turn-based JRPG. Dragonball art style and the quality of life improvements it introduces such as giving you a mount immediately, free fast travel, and being piss easy makes it a joy to play. If you have bailed on other games from the genre like I have, or if you are a fan of all of them, it's worth a shot when it finally releases.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Looper posted:

this is only about half i think but the internet archive's got you covered chief: https://archive.org/details/NintendoPower_201710

I'm on my phone and at work or i would dig around to try and find the other half

This is awesome.

VampiricGiraffe
Feb 5, 2012
Thanks all for the recs. Probably gonna give disgaea V a shot first.

And yes, I’m basically looking for ways to kill time til SMT V releases

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There are a ton of little indie RPGs on the eShop, statistically at least a couple have to be good, right? Right?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Yea West of Loathing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heath posted:

There are a ton of little indie RPGs on the eShop, statistically at least a couple have to be good, right? Right?

Ahahahahahha no.

Just buy Vesperia in two weeks.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

VampiricGiraffe posted:

Thanks all for the recs. Probably gonna give disgaea V a shot first.

And yes, I’m basically looking for ways to kill time til SMT V releases

I mean I know it isn’t turn-based but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is good and has hundreds of hours of content, including a really really good DLC standalone prequel. The story is decent although it gets extremely dumb at points. I would recommend it if you like JRPG’s.

Edit:

Barudak posted:

Ahahahahahha no.

Just buy Vesperia in two weeks.

Oh gently caress yaaaas Tales of Vesperia is amazing get that too.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Heath posted:

Half of them are Kemco games so no, probably not.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Grip case ordered. Got a USB-C to HDMI hub allegedly confirmed to work on the way so I can dock up without removing the grip. Got a spare power supply allegedly confirmed to work with the hub on the way. Got a screen protector on the way to protect my scratched screen. Got a case on the way. With the Gamecube and Pro controllers I'm in accessory hell. Absolutely riddled with accessories.

KingSlime posted:

Sadly, traditional turn based RPG pickings are kind of slim on switch (for now). I can think of Octopath Traveler, but that one harkens back to the SNES 16 bit rpg days, and it might be a hard sell if your JRPG experience consists mostly of Persona 5 (very cool, very polished, very legal game).

What's the meaning of 'legal' in this context?

VampiricGiraffe
Feb 5, 2012

number one pta fan posted:

What's the meaning of 'legal' in this context?

It’s a reference to a certain dipshit “president” who recently tweeted that some or other likely illegal bull poo poo he’s done was “very legal and very cool”

No bearing on how to read the description of the game (which you should play if you haven’t. It’s fantastic)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Persona 5 is a bit of a slog and the games main theme ends up being a cowardly retreat to the conservative status quo but maybe like P3 before it, it will excise some heinous poo poo when it gets ported to handheld

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean I can KIND of see some of them.

I mean yeah I'm Arabic and "Mr. Sandman" may not be totally cool. But I'm not all "OMFG!!!! KKKintendo!!!"

Donkey King was the final boss in punch out for the wii. The pairing makes sense in a vacuum but even Japan knows about the black/monkey negative connotations.

Mr.sandman's name is a reference to The Sandman from European folklore.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

content posted:

I know Advance Wars fans were disappointed with Tiny Metal, but worth it at $12?

Be aware that the devs are the guys who used the money from the project Phoenix Kickstarter to make this game instead.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Evil Fluffy posted:

Donkey King was the final boss in punch out for the wii. The pairing makes sense in a vacuum but even Japan knows about the black/monkey negative connotations.

Mr.sandman's name is a reference to The Sandman from European folklore.

Mister Sandman, bring me Mr. Dream

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Realtalk, the Sandman spirit being replaced with Mr. Dream would be fine by me. It'd be an even better injoke too, as both DK and Dream are the "true" final bosses after Sandman in each game.

Then you have to wonder the implication of an ape being used as a standin for Mike Tyson, though, so that might come off as worse. Even if its a standin for a white Mike Tyson.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hand Row posted:

Yea West of Loathing

West of Loathing rules. It’s a very, very funny game and if you ever played Kingdom of Loathing back in the day you’ll love it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Bee posted:

Then you have to wonder the implication of an ape being used as a standin for Mike Tyson, though, so that might come off as worse. Even if its a standin for a white Mike Tyson.

Why can I imagine ResetEra complaining about this?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Labo is the Playstation Home pf the Nintendo Switch.

My 6 year old got the Labo robot pack for Xmas tonight and we spent about 90 minutes putting it together. It's definitely not intended for 35 year old men but for the target market of little kids it's pretty brilliant. The whole package was super slick and easy to follow, and he loved it.

I think Nintendo fans need to accept the fact that just because a Nintendo game doesn't appeal to grown-rear end men doesn't mean it's a failure.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Imagined posted:

I think Nintendo fans need to accept the fact that just because a Nintendo game doesn't appeal to grown-rear end men doesn't mean it's a failure.

This is not going to happen. If your particular use-case isn't specifically addressed, then it's clear no one purchased the product.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Wasn't labo specifically for under tens?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

JBP posted:

Wasn't labo specifically for under tens?

It could be but lol at the dude using his kid as an example as if it proves poo poo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It could be but lol at the dude using his kid as an example as if it proves poo poo.

Yeah I mean like, I've got no idea what parents buy their kids. I'd probably get my child a labo since I'm in the nerd demo that buys consoles for myself anyway.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i can't believe they put donkey kong in a video game in tyool 2018, what the gently caress nintendo

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Also yikes at the racist stuff. I don’t think the devs were acting in malice but I’m surprised Nintendo of America didn’t catch that. Wonder if they’ll patch it out now that people are noticing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

JBP posted:

Yeah I mean like, I've got no idea what parents buy their kids. I'd probably get my child a labo since I'm in the nerd demo that buys consoles for myself anyway.

I mean yeah parents generally buy their kids stuff they like because it’s not like young kids have a huge list of wants. Labo seems ore marketed at parents than kids.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean yeah parents generally buy their kids stuff they like because it’s not like young kids have a huge list of wants. Labo seems ore marketed at parents than kids.

Not in my case, anyway. I would never have bought it (because I expect it will be quickly broken and/or get boring*) but my boy saw one of Nintendo's ads for it on the Switch News Channel and specifically asked for it multiple times. That's just my experience, though.

*Also I knew I would be the one to have to put it together

I was more interested in getting him Smash because a) we'd both like it and b) it seemed like it would have long legs.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Labo loving rules, it’s great for kids