Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

BigDave posted:

NYTimes: Credit cards enable mass shooters, banks need to flag large gun purchases.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/12/24/business/dealbook/mass-shootings-credit-cards.html

Does this feel like a stretch to anyone else?

Yes, this is a stretch. People buy ammo in thousand round cases. During sales it's not uncommon for people to buy 5-10k rounds that last them several months to a year or even years, depending on how often they go to the range.

Flagging poo poo like this is going to flag hundreds of thousands of people, and provide no use to LE or intelligence agencies. They're already inundated with do much data, it takes so much time, personnel, and effort to make any sense of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/wgdunlop/status/1077366371422560257

At least he’s not talking to the kids about that one time in the mid-80s when he got laid by hookers dressed up as Santa and the elves, perhaps even the reindeer too.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

I was waiting for the video to actually post this one.

THE VIDEO IS SOMEHOW WORSE

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1077375011600678912

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

facialimpediment posted:

gently caress it's so stupid I am actually laughing

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

facialimpediment posted:

:stare:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Colbert is going to feast on that.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

facialimpediment posted:

Something inside me is broken because this made me laugh hysterically.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

ManMythLegend posted:

Something inside me is broken because this made me laugh hysterically.

I started laughing after I shared it w family and co workers via text.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Fallom posted:

$200 in airline fee credits and lounge access, too. I get $35 in free steak at DIA every time I travel for work.

Probably. It’s not AmEx being nice, it’s part of complying with the SCRA.

Sapphire Reserve has a $400 fee but the points deals are great. Plus $300 travel credit and Priority Pass lounge access.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Ever since my credit card’s travel insurance paid for a whole car my coworker totalled, no questions asked, I don’t mind pausing the $100 a year in fee.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, net cost is $100 out of pocket for the CSR but I easily spend the $300 travel credit and make the $100 back in points/lounge benefits.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Syrian Lannister posted:

I started laughing after I shared it w family and co workers via text.

It's really really funny. Like if he wasn't trump this would easily be the funniest presidency we've ever had.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's really really funny. Like if he wasn't trump this would easily be the funniest presidency we've ever had.

I mean it still is just like dark humor.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Milo and POTUS posted:

it is a hilarious presidency. unfortunately its also loving the entire country over for 20 years to come. enjoy!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

ded posted:

it is a hilarious presidency. unfortunately its also loving the entire country over for 50 years to come. enjoy!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gently caress it man, might as well enjoy something

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Not gonna lie, for a split second there I actually liked Trump for all the wrong reasons

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I will enjoy it when the heads start rolling down Pennsylvania Avenue.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Merry Christmas you filthy fellow east coasters!

And happy Boxing Day to you New Zealanders and Aussies.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Imagine calling the NORAD kid's hotline to find out where Santa is on his journey and Donald Trump is on the other end to break kayfabe

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

EBB posted:

What is Spacey trying to accomplish with that video? The show and his career are over.

I assume he's doing the ":memba: how much you used to like me" routine to make it seem like his failing is long enough in the past for everyone to forgive him and stuff.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Who does he think he is, Louis CK?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just wait until Matt Lauer tries something like this, and you know he will.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

People are starting to catch onto the fact that - as in current politics - consequences no longer mean a thing. A sexual predator is sitting in the oval office and on the supreme court, you can say whatever the gently caress you want without incurring penalty, so Spacey et al are probably thinking to themselves "Well, I actually apologized, and disappeared for a short while to serve as penance, why should I keep sequestering myself when this poo poo's going on in public?"

/edit:
I somehow missed this :stare:

/edit: He posted it several hours after the charges were posted :catstare:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1077284879660855296

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 25, 2018

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
the forums are dying, its an xmas miracle

also merry xmas to you guys (and girls)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

psydude posted:

Not gonna lie, for a split second there I actually liked Trump for all the wrong reasons

I'm still holding out for him to pull a home alone

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Take a page from the 2020 Commission Report and make a White House Home Alone movie but it's the dude with the Football trying to evade the Trump, Bolton, Javanka, and the rest of the idiot brigade.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/...ingawful.com%2F

The long War on Christmas is finally over

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Surely this will bring peace to the region!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
MUST. BUILD. WALL.

quote:

President Trump said Tuesday that he intends to keep the federal government closed until he secures the desired funding from Congress for his promised border wall, and he cast doubt about the performance of Federal Reserve Board Chair Jerome H. Powell after a sharp downturn in U.S. stock markets.

In an Oval Office appearance on Christmas morning, Trump praised Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin despite the stock markets suffering their steepest Christmas Eve decline in decades but was more circumspect about his handpicked Fed chair.

“Well, we’ll see,” Trump said when a journalist asked whether he had confidence in Powell. “They’re raising interest rates too fast, that’s my opinion. But I certainly have confidence. But I think it’ll straighten. They’re raising interest rates too fast because they think the economy is so good. But I think that they will get it pretty soon, I really do.”

As for whether he has confidence in Mnuchin, whose Sunday calls to reassure major bank executives rattled investors and may have exacerbated Monday’s sell-off, Trump told reporters: “Yes, I do. Very talented guy, very smart person.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.ce1e471b5427

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
He we killed another migrant child

Merry Christmas

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
merry Christmas, another Guatemalan kid died in gov custody. I'm not Christian, so I don't have a moral compass or values, but that seems bad

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

the forums are dying, its an xmas miracle

also merry xmas to you guys (and girls)

finally

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

This flew under the radar for the last few days but a few Senators are floating Heather Wilson as SECDEF. She's Secretary of the Air Force right now. Former president of the school I work at and so I interacted with her somewhat. With what choices we are looking at, she certainly would not be all bad. Air Force vet at least, even if she was a GOP congresswomen from New Mexico. She was always very friendly at least to everybody and didn't dick over the school when she left, at least.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/25/politics/trump-oval-office-christmas/index.html

Just having a very normal Christmas day in a totally normal country by a very good, stable president.

quote:

"It's a disgrace, what's happening in our country," Trump fumed, seated behind the Resolute Desk on Tuesday, after decrying Democrats as hypocrites and recalling -- unprompted -- his firing of former FBI Director James Comey. "But other than that," he said, his hands gesturing outward, "I wish everybody a very merry Christmas."

quote:

Celebrating the holiday at the White House instead of his Palm Beach estate, Trump used a phone call session with American troops to advance his case for a border wall

quote:

As uniformed servicemen were beamed into the Oval Office via satellite from US bases in Alaska, Bahrain, Guam and Qatar -- but not war zones like Iraq, Afghanistan or Syria -- Trump said he was pleased to see rich nations like Qatar -- "There are many, many ways of pronouncing it," Trump observed of the Gulf nation -- chipping in for regional security efforts.

That's in like the first five paragraphs. There's more, I encourage everyone to read the link for themselves.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
edit; double post

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 25, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I would give Trump some space to pronounce Qatar (kha-tar) because Arabic does not romanize easily and it's hard except he's the loving President. It's the same way with how Bush looked like a total idiot to that part of the world because he prounounced it eye-rack.

Remember how everyone gave candidate Obama poo poo for pronouncing it Phak-ee-stan which was...the correct way???

Like goddamn, unless you stop with the half measures you don't get to change how it sounds.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So the budget is like any other bill right? Eventually the repubs can get sick of this and go "Fine we'll just do another continuing resolution" get Dems on board and over ride a veto on it right?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I would give Trump some space to pronounce Qatar (kha-tar) because Arabic does not romanize easily and it's hard except he's the loving President. It's the same way with how Bush looked like a total idiot to that part of the world because he prounounced it eye-rack.

Remember how everyone gave candidate Obama poo poo for pronouncing it Phak-ee-stan which was...the correct way???

Like goddamn, unless you stop with the half measures you don't get to change how it sounds.

My Qatari/UAE customers and partners call it "Kuh tar". Is that incorrect?

e: I refuse to pronounce Navada "Neh vah duh" over the actual Spanish pronunciation.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Defenestrategy posted:

So the budget is like any other bill right? Eventually the repubs can get sick of this and go "Fine we'll just do another continuing resolution" get Dems on board and over ride a veto on it right?

Yes