  • Post
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
never has being bad with money been so necesary to prove that you were not in fact worse with money

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Stealing is not really bwm as such, trying to deposit the money was.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Posted to /r/IncriminateMyself

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alan Smithee posted:

never has being bad with money been so necesary to prove that you were not in fact worse with money

No I am pretty sure the guy is trying to test-drive a cover story. Cash intensive businesses have tons of cameras, at least two angles on the vault is typical of even a small bank (whose money is insured). A CIB would have been watching that poo poo like a hawk. They would have known who took the money real quick and chances are he knows he sold the bitcoins to the thief, who paid with the stolen cash.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 24, 2018

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

never has being bad with money been so necesary to prove that you were not in fact worse with money

This seems like it should be really easy to deal with. Just produce your receipts for buying and selling the BitCoin.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Thanatosian posted:

This seems like it should be really easy to deal with. Just produce your receipts for buying and selling the BitCoin.

quote:

level 2
throwaway11559911
-67 points ·
1 day ago

I cannot, the time frame is a detail I changed, this is over the course of years, not months. Bitcoin was gifted to me, while I might be able to prove that in one point I was in possession of bitcoin, I cannot prove the transaction as transfer of the bitcoin was done in hand, USB stick for cash. While it was done in public, I cannot at this time recover the identity and the site I used to find the buyer is no longer in service, buyer wished to remain anonymous.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oh how convenient, a string of improbable excuses

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The guy is traveling all over reddit trying to defend his obvious theft, including /buttcoin
https://www.reddit.com/user/throwaway11559911

He claims he paid taxes on it, but somehow the tax receipt isn't enough.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I don’t understand. Bitcoin isn’t anonymous. He can’t say— this was my wallet. Here is the bitcoin I had. Here the bitcoin I transferred. Market rates were approximately this at the time of the sales. And here’s definitely where I paid taxes on these earnings. It’s one massive ledger, dude.

Also, this guy is such a terrible thief or accomplice that they deserve everything bad happening to them. Jesus loving Christ. Cops are so lucky low level criminals are so dumb.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Blinkman987 posted:

[...]

No, you see he got the bitcoin in very small amounts over time so that getting the transactions for that is not possible, and then instead of transferring on the blockchain like any normal human being he gave a USB to a stranger in a parking lot for a briefcase of $20s a long time ago and then decided to deposit it a month after his store was robbed.

Not BWM Yet, but I being able to accurately predict someone is about to go broke.

Do I correctly understand currency trading?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a92w7f/do_i_correctly_understand_currency_trading/

quote:

The Australian Dollar (AUD) is now weaker than the American Dollar (USD), which means if you trade 1 AUD you get back .70 USD. Here's my idea/question: If you trade some USD to AUD while the AUD is weaker, and then wait for the exchange rate to come closer together, you essentially end up with more money at the end? This assumes that the weaker currency doesn't wildly inflate, but is this the right idea? Are there tax penalties in either the US or AUS for this kind of practice?....Is this money laundering? I'm not sure I understand money laundering, that might be a question for a different post though.

EDIT: Yes! I do understand currency trading, and for bonus points I understand money laundering too! Thanks all!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Thanatosian posted:

This seems like it should be really easy to deal with. Just produce your receipts for buying and selling the BitCoin.
Why is that idiots who complain about their attorneys doing nothing are the same ones who go on to post about their crimes on the internet. Attorneys are worthless if you don't follow their advice.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
People who say "my attorney isn't helping me" are, without exception, functionally illiterate morons too wrapped up in their unmerited, Teflon-clad sense of self-worth to acknowledge that the Crown won't just "drop the charges" because they "didn't do it" (they did)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
But enough about our President and his personal attorney.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mameluke posted:

People who say "my attorney isn't helping me" are, without exception, functionally illiterate morons too wrapped up in their unmerited, Teflon-clad sense of self-worth to acknowledge that the Crown won't just "drop the charges" because they "didn't do it" (they did)

Pretty much like the wife of the embezzler in season 1 of "Better Call Saul."

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

We were watching the Disney/Mickey Mouse version of the Gift of the Magi, and all I could think was, "why not.... not buy gifts? If you can't afford it..."

It's me, I'm the Scrooge McDuck.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I watch the Muppet Christmas Carol each year for a good light cry at the end, but my biggest laugh this year was from an early line:

Scrooge: Let us deal with the eviction notices for tomorrow, Mr. Cratchit.

Cratchit: But tomorrow's Christmas, sir!

Scrooge: Very well, you may gift-wrap them.

Happy generous-yet-affordable holidays to all y'all.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Posters ITT watch the Muppet Christmas Carol in reverse.

"Look, Scrooge! If you keep being this generous, you will die! You could be paying Cratchit starvation wages and keep all the money for yourself, you idiot!"

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Dying unloved and unmourned is GWM, no one has to pay for a funeral.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Magissima posted:

Dying unloved and unmourned is GWM, no one has to pay for a funeral.

Father McKenzie wiping the dirt from his hands as he walks from the grave. No one was saved.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

CannonFodder posted:

Father McKenzie wiping the dirt from his hands as he walks from the grave. No one was saved.

:golfclap:

I dunno about a funeral for myself, but I just want to be cremated/donated to science/whatever, especially after being part of my mom's funeral and seeing $12k worth of a casket being put in the ground. But I'm not religious or anything and think graveyards are odd relics.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

:golfclap:

I dunno about a funeral for myself, but I just want to be cremated/donated to science/whatever, especially after being part of my mom's funeral and seeing $12k worth of a casket being put in the ground. But I'm not religious or anything and think graveyards are odd relics.

Wait till you see how BWM legal disputes over graveyard plots are. My in laws are in a disagreement with extended family about an informal group purchase of plots that I think is about to get ugly the next time someone passes away and they can't really punt on how to distribute them anymore.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Wait till you see how BWM legal disputes over graveyard plots are. My in laws are in a disagreement with extended family about an informal group purchase of plots that I think is about to get ugly the next time someone passes away and they can't really punt on how to distribute them anymore.

My grandparents pre-bought them about 30 years ago, for whatever reason, and there's only my brother and I left, so I think we'll be ok. My family was/is tiny.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that though, it's super lovely to have to slog through family disagreements after a death.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

When I die, bury me in the blockchain.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ashcans posted:

When I die, bury me in the blockchain.

no one has ever confirmed your existence 6 times

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I dunno about a funeral for myself, but I just want to be cremated/donated to science/whatever
I wish there was a good way to give away a corpse with the specifications that it be donated to whatever completely unethical experiment they want to do with dead bodies that nobody else wants to give them a body for.

For the cost of a casket, you can buy a life insurance policy that pays out to a cryonics company and freeze yourself for the future. Why not try shooting for an afterlife if you're going to be BWM with your corpse anyway?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Wait till you see how BWM legal disputes over graveyard plots are. My in laws are in a disagreement with extended family about an informal group purchase of plots that I think is about to get ugly the next time someone passes away and they can't really punt on how to distribute them anymore.

Really? I’m in the process of burying someone in a family plot jointly owned by 5 people and the rule as it’s been told to me is its first dead first buried.

It helps no one else wants them, but even if it did the early bird gets the plot.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

moana posted:

For the cost of a casket, you can buy a life insurance policy that pays out to a cryonics company and freeze yourself for the future. Why not try shooting for an afterlife if you're going to be BWM with your corpse anyway?

Because that would be, loving incredibly, even worse with money as your corpse wouldn’t even be treated with base level respect

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
who cares i won't be using it anymore.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Furia posted:

Because that would be, loving incredibly, even worse with money as your corpse wouldn’t even be treated with base level respect

My luck I would awaken gasping for air 1000 years later as an alien race revives my corpse to work in their cyborg slave army.

No thank you sir, ashes to ashes for me.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Furia posted:

Because that would be, loving incredibly, even worse with money as your corpse wouldn’t even be treated with base level respect

I don't understand why anyone cares how their own corpse is treated.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Ashcans posted:

When I die, bury me in the blockchain.

drat, this is thread title worthy.

e.:f5: :rip:

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Day Man posted:

I don't understand why anyone cares how their own corpse is treated.

Don’r get me wrong, I feel the same way

Then again I would also like my corpse to remain thoroughly unsexed when I’m dead. Won’t be alive for that but it feels creepy as hell in life

Or more pertinent to the conversation, I wouldn’t want someone to hit my head with a baseball bat to try to dislodge the tuna can that got frozen unto my neck stump

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Furia posted:

I would also like my corpse to remain thoroughly unsexed when I’m dead. Won’t be alive for that but it feels creepy as hell in life

I'm not sure if this is a deliberate self-own or an inadvertent one but either way, it's hilarious.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Furia posted:

Don’r get me wrong, I feel the same way

Then again I would also like my corpse to remain thoroughly unsexed when I’m dead. Won’t be alive for that but it feels creepy as hell in life

Or more pertinent to the conversation, I wouldn’t want someone to hit my head with a baseball bat to try to dislodge the tuna can that got frozen unto my neck stump

The more sex I get, the better, I say!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Day Man posted:

I don't understand why anyone cares how their own corpse is treated.

Well I will give you a brief primer on human psychology; the existential anxiety of death has existed as long as human self-awareness and the simple knowledge that life must one day end has spawned a broad array of psychological and social coping mechanisms, which range from the simple quotidian denial to elaborate rituals and customs regarding the process of death and the handling of corpses. Although they would recognize the literal truth that people who are dead are not capable of caring about what happens to their bodies, most people have at least some difficulty abstracting their future dead bodies into unfeeling, meaningless dead meat. Merry Christmas!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Well I will give you a brief primer on human psychology; the existential anxiety of death has existed as long as human self-awareness and the simple knowledge that life must one day end has spawned a broad array of psychological and social coping mechanisms, which range from the simple quotidian denial to elaborate rituals and customs regarding the process of death and the handling of corpses. Although they would recognize the literal truth that people who are dead are not capable of caring about what happens to their bodies, most people have at least some difficulty abstracting their future dead bodies into unfeeling, meaningless dead meat. Merry Christmas!
look at this DUMB NERD (merry christmas)

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Funeral proceedings are for the living.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Thread title is my Christmas miracle. :toot:

Also, a lot of death rites are equally about helping people cope with the loss of their loved one as giving people a framework for their own death. Yea, you don't care, but some sort of ritual and handling your corpse helps because the people that cared about you will still attach those feelings to your body and feel weird if it's just tipped out onto a landfill.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
If my organs aren't removed and preserved, how will I drink beers in the afterlife

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eNW7GG_Q8

  • 1