Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Waroduce posted:

I need an over the head, closed wireless headphone with microphone to use in an open office setting to do skype and goto meetings between around 100$ +/- 50$ could someone please recommend?

quote:

Plantronics Backbeat Go 600

Sorry I need an in-line mic on this open office environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Hey all, I have a question about how wireless headphones act when plugged in. I'm looking at something like the Sony WH1000XM3. With BT it's got a pretty tragic 200ms delay, fine for music and travelling convenience, but bad for other things. When you run these headphones with the cable instead: Does the lag go away? Does the quality differ? Does it still use the batteries?

I've been searching but it's hard to find answers about how these things work with a cable instead of the wireless. Thanks.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Waroduce posted:

Sorry I need an in-line mic on this open office environment

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-3-bluetooth

tuna posted:

Hey all, I have a question about how wireless headphones act when plugged in. I'm looking at something like the Sony WH1000XM3. With BT it's got a pretty tragic 200ms delay, fine for music and travelling convenience, but bad for other things. When you run these headphones with the cable instead: Does the lag go away? Does the quality differ? Does it still use the batteries?

I've been searching but it's hard to find answers about how these things work with a cable instead of the wireless. Thanks.

lots of phone apps have compensation built in for BT lag now (ie Youtube/Netflix/Hulu) so unless you're running some off brand app or streaming from a server at home you're not going to run into too many issues. yes, the lag goes away as it's going straight from a source to the cans. the quality CAN differ, but not always, it used to be that ANC headphones did not sound all that great unless the ANC circuit was turned on which also applied a dsp and "fixed" frequency response issues w/ the drivers. generally for wired mode, no, it's designed to be passive in function so you don't even have to have them on to use them.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

5-HT posted:

lots of phone apps have compensation built in for BT lag now (ie Youtube/Netflix/Hulu) so unless you're running some off brand app or streaming from a server at home you're not going to run into too many issues. yes, the lag goes away as it's going straight from a source to the cans. the quality CAN differ, but not always, it used to be that ANC headphones did not sound all that great unless the ANC circuit was turned on which also applied a dsp and "fixed" frequency response issues w/ the drivers. generally for wired mode, no, it's designed to be passive in function so you don't even have to have them on to use them.

Cool, thanks for the answers. I just wanted to make sure that these could realistically fall back to being a regular set of wired headphones for situations where Bluetooth fails.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ddogflex posted:

The Monoprice THX AAA looks awesome and has optical in, it's also balanced, and has a screen. Reviews look great. It's what I'd be buying if in the market right now. Something like $430 right now which aint friggin bad for the specs.

This one seems pretty interesting. I might save up for a Marantz HD-DAC1 but this is all pretty far out.

As an aside, does anyone have any experience with Dolby Atmos for Headphones while gaming? I'm somewhat curious if it's like other virtual surround spatial audio type deals where it absolutely shreds the audio quality to poo poo and creates a really unnatural sound.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JebanyPedal posted:

This one seems pretty interesting. I might save up for a Marantz HD-DAC1 but this is all pretty far out.

As an aside, does anyone have any experience with Dolby Atmos for Headphones while gaming? I'm somewhat curious if it's like other virtual surround spatial audio type deals where it absolutely shreds the audio quality to poo poo and creates a really unnatural sound.

Does nothing to improve your musical enjoyment and yes it's only good for positional audio. Everything else sounds off.

Very effective in FPS gaming though but a lot of that is your headphones to begin with.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DancingShade posted:

Does nothing to improve your musical enjoyment and yes it's only good for positional audio. Everything else sounds off.

Very effective in FPS gaming though but a lot of that is your headphones to begin with.

I tried it with RDR2 and while the positional audio was cool it completely neutered the soundscape and made it sound less "full" and busy like you'd expect those settings to sound like, also it ruined the game's fantastic music pretty much like you said.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

do any headphones other than bose have the ability to switch between paired devices from the headset itself? i really liked this feature on my old bose soundlink wireless headphones.

i was looking at the sony wh-1000xm3s but the way they handle switching between multiple devices seems like kind of a pain in the rear end.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

sudo rm -rf posted:

do any headphones other than bose have the ability to switch between paired devices from the headset itself? i really liked this feature on my old bose soundlink wireless headphones.

i was looking at the sony wh-1000xm3s but the way they handle switching between multiple devices seems like kind of a pain in the rear end.

closest thing I can think of is sennheiser pxc 550 which can do multi-device pairing pretty readily. it'll just default to whatever device is playing a sound at that given moment.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm surprised by just how much the LCD-X improves gaming. I can obviously tell the sound in games is highly compressed but RDR2's soundscape took on whole new dimensions. I excited to try out Hellblade with its binaural audio on these.

5-HT thanks again for pushing me towards these, they're loving fantastic.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JebanyPedal posted:

I'm surprised by just how much the LCD-X improves gaming. I can obviously tell the sound in games is highly compressed but RDR2's soundscape took on whole new dimensions. I excited to try out Hellblade with its binaural audio on these.

High five for your love of the LCD-X. It's nuts. The one headphone that lives up to the hype.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

you're welcome. lcd-x are literally one of the very few pairs of "high-end" cans that live up to the hype. great all rounder for music, games, movies, etc. and exceedingly neutral by and large.

what isn't so great though are a couple of things I demo'd. recently had the opportunity to demo the Sennheiser HE1/Orpheus, was not that impressed. didn't feel like I had listened to god like so many have claimed about the system. my initial impression was, "well this would be impressive to anyone who hasn't heard any high end headphones or stax before." tonality wise it's great, which should be expected for $55,000. and it did feature something very unique I haven't heard in an electrostat before, bass slam. so it wins on those two things, which are huge mind you. but a Sonoma One system is just as proprietary, cheaper, and has a better FR overall. dirty little secret of the unit is that it uses a crossfeed with two levels, and it defaults to a level 1 crossfeed when you turn the unit on. crossfeed of course is what helps stereo speakers get that center image outside of positioning, and on headphones it can have a massive effect. fact of the matter is that this effect is easily replicated in software, or w/ dedicated crossfeed circuits or amps like the Phonitor.

also heard the HD820 as well. saddest thing I've ever heard. nowhere close to justified around the price they're asking for it. midrange is recessed and sounds off treble is weird too and the bass is entirely dependent on seal and the greater the seal the better of course. but the size of the cups is so big it's almost impossible to get a good seal with them. as such they're incredibly dependent on head positioning too response wise. the unit felt great build wise, but beyond that I don't have anything else to say. you're better off getting some cheap audio technicas like the m50x, and if you want a good higher end closed backs, look at Focal Elegia or ZMF Eikons which have good tonality and frequency response w/ cooler and warmer tilts respectively.

https://streamable.com/fbiip
- video here because I'm lazy and don't want to upload to youtube.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder who is going to finally slap extra LEDs and RGB strips on an electrostat system and try to market it as gamer.

There are people who buy multiple Nvidia Titans and such to game on. I'm sure they'd want the mega super duper headphones too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe you guys can help me with this, although I doubt these are popular headphones itt I really loved these things when they worked and I figured maybe these might be the place to start with more advanced troubleshooting for Wireless headphones. basically my Sony Platinum headset just inexplicably stopped outputting or inputting sound in wireless mode. They connect fine to my PS4, my mac and they also work fine if I plug them in. I've tried absolutely every bit of trouble shooting I can find online to no avail. I guess there is a good possibility they are just defective and I'm hosed. But I really want to believe that they wouldn't just go from working fine to being toast when they connect fine and the speakers work.

The main thing I notice has changed is that when I plugged them into my mac they used to show up as "wireless headphones" and now they show up as "audio chat USB". I have updated the firmware, restored them to factory default hard reset them both manually and via the PS4, talked with sony support, nothing has worked. Should I just accept these are broken or is it possible there is just some silly thing I could do to get them working again. I'm just really disappointed cause Sony won't cover them and I really really liked these things, but I can't in good faith go and buy another pair after having 2 Sony wireless headsets break on me. I'd really like to just get them working again.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
No experience with the current generation of consoles sorry. Seems like you've already done all the things a sensible sane person would try.

The one thing you haven't done is reset your entire console to eliminate that as a factor but if your mac shows the device differently to normal it's probably the device.

I've used wireless mice & headphones before but all ones that use special dongles to work. They're finicky. The headphones I'm wearing right now and the keyboard I'm typing on (and my mouse) are all wired. I take reliability over wireless every time.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I'm thinking of buying a set of Sony EX800STs. Good idea? Bad idea? Other options at that price range?

Isolation isn't a big issue and I'm only interested in IEMs. Over ears are a no go because of TMJ issues.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

I'm thinking of buying a set of Sony EX800STs. Good idea? Bad idea? Other options at that price range?

Isolation isn't a big issue and I'm only interested in IEMs. Over ears are a no go because of TMJ issues.

I decided on those vs the DM6's. Ended up getting the DM6. Been watching Badguygoodaudioreviews?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

redeyes posted:

I decided on those vs the DM6's. Ended up getting the DM6. Been watching Badguygoodaudioreviews?

Not lately. I've heard the EX800ST's before and they've dropped to what is a pretty reasonable price for their capability. Can you give a comparison?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

Not lately. I've heard the EX800ST's before and they've dropped to what is a pretty reasonable price for their capability. Can you give a comparison?

I can't.I was shopping in the 200-300 dollar range and the DM6's came out cheaper. From reviews, the bass on those things can blow your ears out if you eq it like that.. mids and treble are supposed to be studio flat which is what the ST stands for. They might not be as 'fun' as other IEMs though, since they are made for studio use.. but this is just a guess. They are in my top 10 IEMs to try though if it helps.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
Got a new iPhone for Christmas and have never had bluetooth headphones before. I think I would prefer wireless earbuds with the neck strap so I can exercise with them but would also like something that's appropriate for general use as well. I'd like to get an apple watch series 4 in a few months so I can run without a phone but I've never had earbuds that stayed in while running. I have a decent pair of full over the ear Steelseries headphones that I've been traveling with but having to drag along an adapter sucks. Looking in the sub-$200 range.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tehllama posted:

Got a new iPhone for Christmas and have never had bluetooth headphones before. I think I would prefer wireless earbuds with the neck strap so I can exercise with them but would also like something that's appropriate for general use as well. I'd like to get an apple watch series 4 in a few months so I can run without a phone but I've never had earbuds that stayed in while running. I have a decent pair of full over the ear Steelseries headphones that I've been traveling with but having to drag along an adapter sucks. Looking in the sub-$200 range.

Either the power beats or beats X.

They are great for what you are looking for and can be had for easily sub $100. Don’t pay for retail for them.

The beats X are good because they charge via lightning but the power beats sound better and the battery lasts longer.

Both are also handy because they will let you switch between your phone and watch very easily.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

MarcusSA posted:

The beats X are good because they charge via lightning but the power beats sound better and the battery lasts longer.

That sounds really inconvenient.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JebanyPedal posted:

That sounds really inconvenient.

Which part?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

MarcusSA posted:

Which part?

I don't want to have to wait for a storm every time I want to charge my headphones.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JebanyPedal posted:

I don't want to have to wait for a storm every time I want to charge my headphones.

That’s why I hang with Thor.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Either the power beats or beats X.

They are great for what you are looking for and can be had for easily sub $100. Don’t pay for retail for them.

Both are also handy because they will let you switch between your phone and watch very easily.
Yeah, these are probably the best options. The PowerBeats are slightly preferable for working out in due to the over the ear thing, but I also think they're less convenient for general use for the same reason. I don't really find the difference in audio quality to really be that big. If you have to pick, I'd go with the BeatsX, and be sure to bone up on your prayers to Thor.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I asked about amp/DACs in here before, and while I know the effect on audio is relatively minimal compared to just switching headphones, I'm curious about which price point you guys would consider a product to start entering the phooey stage of diminishing returns.

I've still been researching and looked at the iFi Micro iDSD Black, it's at a hefty price point of $599 but it seems to have a lot of a lot of good press and general opinion. I'm extraordinarily wary of all the purported effects it has on the sound but mostly I just want something really sturdy, high quality, with a very low noise floor, (I've recently realized while listening to some of my older, more banged up vinyl on good headphones for the first time that hiss drives me nuts - although I know not much can be done about that), with optical and USB inputs, that is relatively portable with a battery so that I can comfortably move it to my bed stand at night without disassembling and reassembling a ton of wires repeatedly.

I feel like I didn't know enough about what I wanted the last time I was asking for advice in here regarding this, but now I have some actual parameters.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I've had a pair of Kef M200 IEMs floating around for a while, bought locally for a really good price. These things have really excellent sound quality, but one of the worst designs ever in the history of in-ears.

So I took a hacksaw and turned this:

Into this:

I also pulled out the driver/nozzle assemblies and flipped them 180 degrees so that they'd be at the right angle when worn over ear. Hooray for whiskey and brute force!

(yes, they still work)

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
Thanks for the recommendation y'all!

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Thinking of getting DTs - from what I understood, DT770s are closed, DT880s are semi-open DT990s are open, but they are essentially the "same" design/quality, correct?

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

I asked about amp/DACs in here before, and while I know the effect on audio is relatively minimal compared to just switching headphones, I'm curious about which price point you guys would consider a product to start entering the phooey stage of diminishing returns.

I've still been researching and looked at the iFi Micro iDSD Black, it's at a hefty price point of $599 but it seems to have a lot of a lot of good press and general opinion. I'm extraordinarily wary of all the purported effects it has on the sound but mostly I just want something really sturdy, high quality, with a very low noise floor, (I've recently realized while listening to some of my older, more banged up vinyl on good headphones for the first time that hiss drives me nuts - although I know not much can be done about that), with optical and USB inputs, that is relatively portable with a battery so that I can comfortably move it to my bed stand at night without disassembling and reassembling a ton of wires repeatedly.

I feel like I didn't know enough about what I wanted the last time I was asking for advice in here regarding this, but now I have some actual parameters.

$100

get a khadas tone board and a jds labs atom amp if you care about quality and want something fairly cheap and portable. done. here's a good list to go through if you're wanting alternative to the tone board

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/master-sinad-distortion-comparison-graph-for-dacs.4814/

iFi Micro i'm not sure about, but I know the nano tested very poorly

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-ifi-nano-idsd-black-dac-and-amp.4799/

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Thinking of getting DTs - from what I understood, DT770s are closed, DT880s are semi-open DT990s are open, but they are essentially the "same" design/quality, correct?

Pretty much. Same “tier,” same “house sound.”

I only own the 990. I like them a lot. Very comfy and well-built. Treble has never bothered me.

I’d expect the 770 and 880 to feel more “close” and have more resonant bass just by nature and compromise of being closed.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 28, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

JebanyPedal posted:

Vast overkill, you're already in phooey territory. Noise floor won't help your old vinyl, that's what old vinyl sounds like. You'll just hear more dirt (vinyl is objectively worse than digital, there i said it)

What's your source and what headphones are you driving?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Vast overkill, you're already in phooey territory. Noise floor won't help your old vinyl, that's what old vinyl sounds like. You'll just hear more dirt (vinyl is objectively worse than digital, there i said it)

What's your source and what headphones are you driving?

Yeah I know as much, hence me saying I realize there isn't much of anything I can do about it, I just have some impossible to find elsewhere South African records of my father's that I'd like to listen to the best I can.

My sources (if I'm thinking of the right thing here) vacillate between my phone, Xbox One X, and PC, I don't have a nice receiver/player yet though I intend to.

5-HT posted:

$100

get a khadas tone board and a jds labs atom amp if you care about quality and want something fairly cheap and portable. done. here's a good list to go through if you're wanting alternative to the tone board

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/master-sinad-distortion-comparison-graph-for-dacs.4814/

iFi Micro i'm not sure about, but I know the nano tested very poorly

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-ifi-nano-idsd-black-dac-and-amp.4799/

These two look absolutely perfect, just ordered them. Khadas Tone Board should be fun to boot since I love making custom cases.

Thanks again for the recommendations, you've been more helpful in half a dozen posts than the several hundred Reddit threads I've trawled through.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

These two look absolutely perfect, just ordered them. Khadas Tone Board should be fun to boot since I love making custom cases.

Thanks again for the recommendations, you've been more helpful in half a dozen posts than the several hundred Reddit threads I've trawled through.

I can strongly recommend Audiosciencereview (the site that hosted that review). They have a strong focus on objective, scientific, hooey free audio and moderate accordingly. Cuts the crap.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BurritoJustice posted:

I can strongly recommend Audiosciencereview (the site that hosted that review). They have a strong focus on objective, scientific, hooey free audio and moderate accordingly. Cuts the crap.

Yeah I've looked at some reviews on there before but it's tough to actually find what you want without someone referring you specific products to look up on Audioscience and Reddit is basically useless for that.

I've only recently began to get seriously into audio (I used to cohost on a radio station but basically didn't do any of the radio tech work) and it's overwhelming sometimes, especially with how much total nonsense the audiophile world seems to latch onto.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

yvw, glad to help. i've been holding out on a dac upgrade myself since I still have a O2 dac and for amping I've been going to an older smsl vmv v2 dac/amp unit. maybe it's gold, and I'm overthinking it, but what I can say for certain is that it's usb implementation for the dac doesn't play well w/ my pc, it's noisy asf. but for some reason on my 2017 MacBook Pro it's dead silent. even on the highest gain and the volume knob cranked up all the way, there's no audible noise floor when I have nothing playing. can't think of a logical reason behind it other than my dell xps has some really crappy/noisy usb implementation or I have a really bad case of mains hum that my APC UPS unit can't overcome.

speaking of which might just go ahead and send the smsl vmv v2 unit over to amir @ audosciencerecview and see what he measurements he'd get. especially since it's a product they're still actively selling and it's using the same branding is their top of the line VMV D1 DAC which pretty well wipes the floor w/ anything else on the list, even the Benchmark Dac 3 which is a shock.

regardless, khadas tone board w/ vims + vims case seems to be the cheapest and best option around if you don't mind a small amt of diy. i'll have one in hand myself soon, along w/ the jds labs atom amp too. put in orders for them earlier this week.

oh, and I some HifiMan Arya's being sent for auditioning (ie. took advantage of a finance program to try new cans, lol). when I saw the model renders going around for it showing HE1000X on the headband it became obvious to me that this was likely going to be the initial "highend" offering on Massdrop from HifiMan, but something came up, Fang and Massdrop moved forward w/ the Edition XX, and as a result we have new cheap HE1000 v2 since I'm guessing they were already in production when this particular decision was made. honestly, I'd be angry if I was already an HE1000 owner and I saw this thing come out. priced out just like the Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD800S, and features the best of Hifiman tech that isn't the Susvara or their electrostats.....

speaking of electrostats, anybody have any first hand experience w/ stax? it's the next logical step for me after I try this Arya unit. but I'm not sure if I should try to get a 3rd party energizer vs stax energizer, and whether I should go w/ the L300 Special Edition or just get an L700 outright. L300 Special seem like a bargain given the drivers appear to be the same, and all that's needed is a pad swap for L700 pads.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

5-HT posted:

speaking of electrostats, anybody have any first hand experience w/ stax? it's the next logical step for me after I try this Arya unit. but I'm not sure if I should try to get a 3rd party energizer vs stax energizer, and whether I should go w/ the L300 Special Edition or just get an L700 outright. L300 Special seem like a bargain given the drivers appear to be the same, and all that's needed is a pad swap for L700 pads.

I own the l300 and have the previous 250 or 200 cant remember. They are fast and the bass is surprisingly solid, you can feel it not just hear it. Nothing else I own sounds like it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I recently grabbed a pair of DT 1990's and an FX Audio DAC-X6. They're my first good headphones and I'm blown away. Is there any way to get sound to default back to my PC speakers when the amp is powered off without having to change default devices every time I want to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

JebanyPedal posted:

Yeah I've looked at some reviews on there before but it's tough to actually find what you want without someone referring you specific products to look up on Audioscience and Reddit is basically useless for that.

I've only recently began to get seriously into audio (I used to cohost on a radio station but basically didn't do any of the radio tech work) and it's overwhelming sometimes, especially with how much total nonsense the audiophile world seems to latch onto.

the short version:

Headphones make a vast difference, this should be your biggest investment and there are a shitload of variables here.

Amps make a minor difference, you mostly just want to make sure you're giving your headphones enough juice. For planar magnetic and high impedance headphones like the HD600, this matters a lot more than with typical low-impedance headphones. The rule of thumb is: if you can't get headbanging volume from your smartphone, your headphones probably need a dedicated amp.

DACs make no audible difference unless they're broken, don't even worry about it.