Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Does anyone feel that the universal corruption that comes in later in the game as chaos starts spawning is actually meaningful? It mostly just ends up being a kind of annoying tax on my games, and I'm thinking of just modding it out, but I'm wondering if there is something about it I'm missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is there any point in building a second Empire War College or whatever the tier 5 building is that gives faction wide bonuses? I imagine that they dont stack.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is there any point in building a second Empire War College or whatever the tier 5 building is that gives faction wide bonuses? I imagine that they dont stack.

If you mean the academy, then yes, some of the bonuses do actually stack. Lord recruit rank and research are very good.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

toasterwarrior posted:

If you mean the academy, then yes, some of the bonuses do actually stack. Lord recruit rank and research are very good.
To answer your question: Yes I was just coming back to correct myself, I meant the Imperial Academy.

To respond to your answer: :stare: well poo poo, thats awesome. I'll be putting one everywhere because there are like 8 techs I really want right now. Thank you.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I like Tomb Kings a lot but man is it annoying once you get a 4 or 5 provinces and a good income. Having to click through all the buildings and decide what to upgrade, every turn, feels like a chore. I wish I could set a template for each city so that it auto-build a chain. “If money is available, build and upgrade walls, the money making thing, and your tradable resource.”

And then I forget which unit producing buildings I’ve built and it’s like “oh cool, I can make scorpions now”.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

TaintedBalance posted:

Does anyone feel that the universal corruption that comes in later in the game as chaos starts spawning is actually meaningful? It mostly just ends up being a kind of annoying tax on my games, and I'm thinking of just modding it out, but I'm wondering if there is something about it I'm missing.

On L it can, especially on empire. Really ive found most mechanics that seem meaningless have big rear end modifiers on L so they're not meaningless. Empire is crazy difficult anymore too, its great fun.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I don't like that they make the AI virtually unaffected by corruption. It makes spreading it feel less relevant.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Anything that gives factionwide bonuses will stack.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone ever have their ranged units charge downhill at something you've told them to shot at? Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug I need to account for when telling mixed range units to shoot something?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Anyone ever have their ranged units charge downhill at something you've told them to shot at? Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug I need to account for when telling mixed range units to shoot something?

It is usually a good idea to place ranged units in guard mode when ordering them. That way they won't move to try to get line of sight with an enemy in range (they will still move if you click something beyond their range), plus they will still fire their ranged weapons when part of the unit is engaged in melee.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

You can also set them to be on guard mode by default in the options; greatly recommended.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ZearothK posted:

It is usually a good idea to place ranged units in guard mode when ordering them. That way they won't move to try to get line of sight with an enemy in range (they will still move if you click something beyond their range), plus they will still fire their ranged weapons when part of the unit is engaged in melee.

They'll still sometimes bug out and do it but guard mode and one of the patches awhile ago cut down on it quite a bit

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I had some terrible LOS poo poo in one of the Underway maps, the one with the huge depression in the path. Quarrelers couldn't shoot at rear end in a top hat elves on the opposite elevation despite being in range and shooting in an arc that they had to move forward, getting shot all the way and making the battle a lot closer than it should've been. For some reason, my Thunderers didn't have that issue and acquitted themselves beautifully by turning their Waystalkers, Eagles, and the Glade Lord into Swiss cheese.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

I like Tomb Kings a lot but man is it annoying once you get a 4 or 5 provinces and a good income. Having to click through all the buildings and decide what to upgrade, every turn, feels like a chore. I wish I could set a template for each city so that it auto-build a chain. “If money is available, build and upgrade walls, the money making thing, and your tradable resource.”

And then I forget which unit producing buildings I’ve built and it’s like “oh cool, I can make scorpions now”.

I ended up switching to the provinces summary view and clicking all the names with small hammer next to them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I had Guard Mode on with Fire At Will and Skirmish mode off. I told a big clump of 8 total ranged units (4 Free Company in the front, 2 Handgunners in the middle, and 2 Crossbowmen in the back) to attack something that was within shot range of line. They were all standing on the downslope of a hill in such a way that firing over the line in front of them would not be problematic. They all charged straight into melee instead of shooting, then once the Free Company were in melle soome of them started randomly shooting. I'm re-doing the battle because the cream of my army charging into melee instead of shootin poo poo is kinda a day ender.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 24, 2018

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Azran posted:

C&C is the main modding Discord for the game, yeah. It even has CA employees operating in an official capacity, it's a pretty cool place as far as I've seen. I was expecting a 4chan shithole but I haven't seen anything to complain about in the couple months I've been there.

This actually seems pretty decent. Thanks for the tip!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Does anyone know what the colored lines mean when targeting something with ranged attakcs/war machines?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

kidkissinger posted:

Does anyone know what the colored lines mean when targeting something with ranged attakcs/war machines?

It indicates whether the engine is in range, reloading, or has projectiles in flight.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

I'm inclined to believe they show each artillery piece's reload status.

e;fb

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

Green: In range & firing
Red: Out of range
Grey: No line of sight
Blue: No line of sight & turning/moving to get line of sight
Orange & Yellow: Reloading

e:fb

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Okay, Lucky's is really good and loving brutally hard with the dwarf start (High King dude). Orcs coming in from everywhere in endless hoards is kind of tiring. Also, I think something is broken with it because I've had at least 3 times now where when I've attacked an enemy in Underway stance they were able to retreat or weren't wiped out after the engagement which has really screwed me up a couple times. Anyone else playing Lucky's having this issue? It could be a mod conflict, but nothing else I have touches anything like that (the only major ones I have active are region trading and rebanner 2)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
There's a bug where if you kill an enemy lord their army is able to retreat in situations where they should be destroyed, like underway interception.

My advice with dwarves in the overhaul is to primarily use Miners over warriors. They're much cheaper but still pretty effective vs Greenskins and you can take a skill that greatly boosts their replenishment which is really helpful early on. Use Underway a lot to get the trait for increased underway interception as it is an easy way to catch tiny armies trying to flee.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Panfilo posted:

There's a bug where if you kill an enemy lord their army is able to retreat in situations where they should be destroyed, like underway interception.

My advice with dwarves in the overhaul is to primarily use Miners over warriors. They're much cheaper but still pretty effective vs Greenskins and you can take a skill that greatly boosts their replenishment which is really helpful early on. Use Underway a lot to get the trait for increased underway interception as it is an easy way to catch tiny armies trying to flee.

Oof. That's um...a pretty heinous bug. Is that related to enemy stacks being able to just straight up leave sieged cities, or is that a different bug? I've definitely been seeing some wonkiness, and while I like a lot of the core ideas, I might just try out a different race or wait until I see some updated bug fixes. It's been making strategy kind of hard when the enemy just ignores things.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Raygereio posted:

Green: In range & firing
Red: Out of range
Grey: No line of sight
Blue: No line of sight & turning/moving to get line of sight
Orange & Yellow: Reloading

e:fb

Thanks!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Defenders can leave and garrison port cities under siege I believe. That's not a bug.

Also, while you might not actually proc many ambushes, using ambush stance as dwarves can trick the enemy into getting into attack range. The army is truly 'invisible' unless enemies successfully spot them. So they are definitely fooled by ambush stance.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
What are the thoughts about this mod?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1465280740

Seems pretty cool, making the Empire work more like, well... an Empire, and less of a bunch of independent states.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, you can leave port cities while under siege.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

What are the thoughts about this mod?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1465280740

Seems pretty cool, making the Empire work more like, well... an Empire, and less of a bunch of independent states.

It's pretty neat in that there are Ulric and Sigmar sects you have to appease and to get Volkmar you have to confederate with Sigmar which up to that point is a horde stack led by Volkmar. Touch there was a funny bug where you could have two, sometimes three Volkmars.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Definitely wasn't a port city. Decided to restart since it sounded off enough and my start was weird enough that going in with a clean mod list seemed smart. Went Ork this time and they are rather fun, although per the dwarf start, slower than I expected. I assume given the limited elite unit slots and how intense the garrisons are that overall Lucky's is a much slower and methodical game than base? Given how much it seems looting/sacking provide moneywise (this might just be orks though?), I'm guessing that the general strategy is that your income per turn should be relatively lower than compared to base, but that you can earn a lot more via raiding and attacking settlements.

Have to say, I really am liking that battles last longer now. I was a bit leary of that, but I think it does a better job of highlighting the importance of tactics and for me at least, a generally slower player, it feels like I have more time to understand whats happening and reposition things so I'll win. I've won a number of battles I was nervous about so far and I'm sure its because I had more time to respond to things than I normally do. Arhzog might not be that scary (at least at lower levels), but when he is backed by an orc warboss and a goblin big boss, poo poo dies at an impressive rate. As I'm typing this I realize it might also just be because of his giant rear end aura and added leadership effect is also helping my lines hold and carry me to victory.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Will the AI ever get pissy with me if I have one of the settlements in a region where it owns the rest of the settlements? I ask because I took one settlement (Oakhammer, just up the mountains from East Transylvania) from Von Carstein while exterminating the Vampires, and the Dwarves own the rest of the settlements in that region. I'm buddies with the Dwarves but they are #4 in strength and I can't afford to piss them off right now. I took it rather than raze it because I figured it would be a good early warning system if something was coming out the mountains to come after me...

Also, Karl Franz on a Hippogriff is fun.

edit:. I'm guessing one way to get the Dwarves to like me more would be to attack the Greenskins, who are #2 in power, so that way the Dwarves and I have a mutual enemy we are at war with?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 25, 2018

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

I just realized...as the Orcs, should I be raiding my own minor provinces to keep my fightiness high, spawn rebellions so I can crush them for money/xp and cycle that as I prep to overwhelm a target? I'm used to trying to keep order high so I don't deal with that, but it just clicked to me that its actually a good way to farm, especially in Lucky's since enemy garrisons can get real scary real quick.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Will the AI ever get pissy with me if I have one of the settlements in a region where it owns the rest of the settlements? I ask because I took one settlement (Oakhammer, just up the mountains from East Transylvania) from Von Carstein while exterminating the Vampires, and the Dwarves own the rest of the settlements in that region. I'm buddies with the Dwarves but they are #4 in strength and I can't afford to piss them off right now. I took it rather than raze it because I figured it would be a good early warning system if something was coming out the mountains to come after me...

Also, Karl Franz on a Hippogriff is fun.

edit:. I'm guessing one way to get the Dwarves to like me more would be to attack the Greenskins, who are #2 in power, so that way the Dwarves and I have a mutual enemy we are at war with?

In my experience, not really unless your relationship starts to degrade. A common enemy always helps though.

TaintedBalance posted:

I just realized...as the Orcs, should I be raiding my own minor provinces to keep my fightiness high, spawn rebellions so I can crush them for money/xp and cycle that as I prep to overwhelm a target? I'm used to trying to keep order high so I don't deal with that, but it just clicked to me that its actually a good way to farm, especially in Lucky's since enemy garrisons can get real scary real quick.

Yup, rebel farming is always nice and good.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Speaking of rebel farming, with the Barrow Legion now in play, Grung Zint/Marienburg have become even more of a permanent training facility for up and coming Imperial generals due to Grung Zint now having undead corruption due to Blackstone Post. I get a rebellion every two turns, keeping them very busy, and of course they're a great response force for Norscan invasions.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Azran posted:

In my experience, not really unless your relationship starts to degrade. A common enemy always helps though.
Cool, thanks, I think I'll turn the one Orcish settlement I can reach into training grounds.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Is it even possible to get Marienburg before Bretonnia does anymore? Now Empire has to tank it's reliability early on by declaring on the coward Leoncour.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hah, Empire artillery may be the pits in Lucky's Overhaul, but apart from Great Cannons feeling more "mandatory" than truly good, I've taken the opportunity to appreciate just how good Luminarks are. Single model sniping from across the map is extremely powerful, as it turns out, and a neat thing I noticed about them is that while they'll maim the poo poo out of enemy combat Lords and Heroes, casters are in some serious trouble if a Luminark is in play. I'm talking sliver of health after 3 confirmed hits for Necromancers and the like, and thus it's great for taking out those enemy casters who have extremely dangerous spells like Wurrzag before they get in casting range.

The RoR Luminark coming with Net of Amyntok is also hilariously brutal. Gelt's overcasted Final Transmutation (90 seconds of no movement and DoT on top) can pretty much kill off an entire cavalry wing or chunk of the enemy frontline with Handgunner support, but having a pocket net ready to spring on incoming enemies on top of that is just ludicrous.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Finally started up a Barrow Legion campaign, man this is so much more fun than the old VC startpos. Old Man Kemmler and his shambling hordes are fun as heck!

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

TaintedBalance posted:

Oof. That's um...a pretty heinous bug. Is that related to enemy stacks being able to just straight up leave sieged cities, or is that a different bug? I've definitely been seeing some wonkiness, and while I like a lot of the core ideas, I might just try out a different race or wait until I see some updated bug fixes. It's been making strategy kind of hard when the enemy just ignores things.

I think you're mistaken engaging someone in underway stance with underway interception (when you have a chance to intercept their movements on the AIs turn and vice versa with them able to intercept you), underway stance itself is not a do or die situation only the interceptions are (it works just like a normal stance with attrition immunity once the actual move is done). This is not a bug, but if you are indeed not wiping/getting wiped fully in an actual intercept fight then yes that would be a bug, but that is not something that I ever have had happen in vanilla so may be mod problem in that case.

As for enemy stacks being able to leave a besieged city, this is only possible for cities with ports and you can do the same(as long as an army in the water isn't blocking the port as well), as for it happening in non port cities that is also not a bug i know of in vanilla so may again be either a mod issue or something that you may have overlooked.

Choyi fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 25, 2018

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Finally started up a Barrow Legion campaign, man this is so much more fun than the old VC startpos. Old Man Kemmler and his shambling hordes are fun as heck!

His weird rambling quest battle speeches are fantastic too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Mukip posted:

Is it even possible to get Marienburg before Bretonnia does anymore? Now Empire has to tank it's reliability early on by declaring on the coward Leoncour.

This is what I use. Sadly it may be incompatible with a lot of other startpos mods.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1568939374&searchtext=marienburg