Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
The main problem with the season pass is that it costs €50 and consists mainly of boring garbage.

It's currently €16.50 on the Steam sale, though. I'd easily pay €14 for Far Harbor and another €2.50 for Automatron, so might as well strike now and get some free boring garbage

(Nuka-World seems allright too if if you're into that sort of thing, but I haven't played it properly yet so I can't say)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I grabbed the Season Pass in a sale eventhough Far Harbour is the only DLC I really cared about in itself. I just wanted to cover all possible mod requirements.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Seriously, it can't be overstated how much better Far Harbor is than anything else in the game. Cool setting, good atmosphere, engaging characters, choices that matter, fun sidequests, thoughtful story that actually engages with the philosophical questions posed by the existence of artificial humans that the main story somehow failed to despite ostensibly being based entirely around them.

It almost feels like it was developed by an entirely different studio. Specifically, Obsidian Entertainment.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Nordick posted:

Yeah I grabbed the Season Pass in a sale eventhough Far Harbour is the only DLC I really cared about in itself. I just wanted to cover all possible mod requirements.

:same: None of the settlement items DLC is all that interesting, but Far Harbor seems like it would be fun.

Terrorforge posted:

Seriously, it can't be overstated how much better Far Harbor is than anything else in the game. Cool setting, good atmosphere, engaging characters, choices that matter, fun sidequests, thoughtful story that actually engages with the philosophical questions posed by the existence of artificial humans that the main story somehow failed to despite ostensibly being based entirely around them.

It almost feels like it was developed by an entirely different studio. Specifically, Obsidian Entertainment.

Wasn't the issue with Far Harbor, though, that portions of the plot and certain areas copied from someone's New Vegas mod?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 21, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That whole quest which is essentially Autumn Leaves for FNV you mean?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

How copied is it exactly? I heard someone say that, but given the modding community's at best loose understanding of plagiarism I didn't pay much attention.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

It really isn't the worlds most original plot but few things really are. Far Harbor is absolutely worth it, and yes, is much better than anything else in the base game. Automatron is pretty good and building a robot buddy is a good time. I HIGHLY recommend the Poptepipic automatron head mod.

Nukaworld isn't bad but the collection quests are crap and it is mostly dungeon crawls in a variety of settings. It is very combat focused and if you're not into that maybe give it a miss. Still, it gives you a chance to piss Preston off so you can't beat that.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Far Harbor is what F4 as a whole should have been.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

That whole quest which is essentially Autumn Leaves for FNV you mean?

Terrorforge posted:

How copied is it exactly? I heard someone say that, but given the modding community's at best loose understanding of plagiarism I didn't pay much attention.

Here's a Eurogamer article on the issue, which shows some comparisons.

The mod author (quoted in the article) actually wasn't upset. In fact, I think he says something along the lines as seeing it as an opportunity to promote his mod.

Wrr posted:

It really isn't the worlds most original plot but few things really are. Far Harbor is absolutely worth it, and yes, is much better than anything else in the base game. Automatron is pretty good and building a robot buddy is a good time. I HIGHLY recommend the Poptepipic automatron head mod.

Nukaworld isn't bad but the collection quests are crap and it is mostly dungeon crawls in a variety of settings. It is very combat focused and if you're not into that maybe give it a miss. Still, it gives you a chance to piss Preston off so you can't beat that.

I think I'm going to grab the season pass, since Far Harbor sounds like it's worth checking out, and making robots in Automatron sounds fun (especially if you can plop Popuko's head on one with mods).

I've heard NukaWorld described as being geared towards raider-type characters. My intent has been to do a Brotherhood of Steel-aligned character, but I could maybe make another character specifically for NukaWorld.

I also recall TrainWiz did a theme-park style mod that's supposed to be pretty good.

Looking at the mod list I had before, I had a selection of weapon mods (ones taken from previous Fallout games), some mods to make settlement building better more tolerable, and other miscellaneous stuff. Are there any good quest mods to check out?

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
+1 to Far Harbor being worth every penny. Even the silly side stuff (Robot Murder Mystery comes to mind) is super interesting and far more engaging than anything in the main game.

But Nuka-World is worth the price of admission alone just for the sake of hearing President Gravey get super pissed off about you siding with raiders.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Nuka World definitely has a "but thou must be a murderous dickhead" problem. There is technically an alternative, but it's pretty well hidden and literally just involves opening fire on an entire theme park full of raiders and not stopping until every single one of them is dead. It's so underdeveloped the main questgiver doesn't even have any dialogue for it.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I also recall TrainWiz did a theme-park style mod that's supposed to be pretty good.

Can confirm, Maxwell's World is cool and good.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

After having some issues with the download, I booted up Fallout 4 and played a bit of the vanilla game, since I've been trying to think of things I want to download for it. Here's what I took note of in the hour or so I was playing:

• Is there a way to boost audio? I realized I had to adjust the game's volume settings, since they reset to their defaults, but dialog still seems really quiet. I suppose I could just turn up the audio on my computer, but I didn't know if this was a common problem.

• I mentioned I originally had a bunch of Fallout 1/2 throwback weapon mods, but I was wondering if there were any other really good weapon mods that are worth checking out. I'm not sure if it applies to all the mods I downloaded, but I remember a bunch of them stated they were included with level lists, rather than just being plopped somewhere in the game. I'm looking for something that adds more variety or types of weapon to the game, rather than just the boring old variations of pipe weapons. The old save game I was playing was around Level 33, so I was hoping maybe on the weapon mods added some new, really strong end/late game weapons.

• This might be covered by the weapon mods, but I was also looking for some expansion to the crafting section. I think some of the weapon mods also cover weapon attachments, but I still wanted to check.

• This is another thing that I might just have to tweak with the in-game menu or just get used to, but the aiming and FOV felt off. It could have been that I was wearing power armor and that was messing me up.

• I think I've asked about this before, but I was curious about armor mods (either with regular armor or power armor). The reason being is that I didn't care that much for the system where you have the arms/chest/leg pieces atop your Vault Suit or whatever. I downloaded a couple of F3/FNV ones like the Merc outfits, but I don't know what else there is. As for power armor, I don't know what there is outside of different cosmetic variants, but I'd appreciate any suggestions

• I had a mod called 'Be Exceptional' written down, and looking it up, it looks like it restores the F3/FNV levelling/stats system. It seems really appealing, but I'm curious if anyone one has tried it and knows how well it works.

• I don't care that much about settlements, but I'm getting tired of Sanctuary, and I was wondering if there was a really cool settlement/player home mod to check out. If not, I can just relocate to Red Rocket, or check out that Vault settlement DLC.

That's all I can think of for the moment. I might just have to play the game a bit more, or watch through the hundreds of mod videos online to find more. If there's anything you think is really good or worth checking out, please let me know.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

So kind of a weird (and might be not an easy answer) question, but what's the best way to do a fresh setup for modding F4? I downloaded last year and got like 200 mods installed, but kept crashing and from what I could tell it wasn't the mods. From what I remember, MO2 had some kind of memory leak or error that was the main culprit (though I should probably do some clipping on my mod list anyways) and seems to be fixed now. I kind of just want to scrap what I had set up and do a clean install (preferably without having to re-install F4).

I guess I should just delete the folder for F4SE, WyreBash, MO2, etc. and go from there, but I want to make sure it's as clean as I can go.

Thanks for any help.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

xanthan posted:

Can confirm, Maxwell's World is cool and good.

I did not like it. Too many invisible walls and balky script triggers.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Quasipox posted:

So kind of a weird (and might be not an easy answer) question, but what's the best way to do a fresh setup for modding F4? I downloaded last year and got like 200 mods installed, but kept crashing and from what I could tell it wasn't the mods. From what I remember, MO2 had some kind of memory leak or error that was the main culprit (though I should probably do some clipping on my mod list anyways) and seems to be fixed now. I kind of just want to scrap what I had set up and do a clean install (preferably without having to re-install F4).

I guess I should just delete the folder for F4SE, WyreBash, MO2, etc. and go from there, but I want to make sure it's as clean as I can go.

Thanks for any help.

I'd like to inquire about that, too. I spent most of the evening downloading mods, but it didn't seem like all of the mods were working, and it crashed when messing around in character creation. I ended up uninstalling everything but Fallout 4.

I have F4 installed to C:\steamalt\steamapps\common\Fallout 4. Mod Organizer 2, however, I don't know where to install to, or where to direct all the mods and other miscellanea. By default, Mod Organizer install path is C:\Modding\MO2.

I know it's important to keep everything in the C:/ drive for read/write permission to work, but because most of the paths default to the AppData folder, I don't know how much needs to be actually located under the C:/ drive, or if it needs to go directly into the Fallout 4 folder.

Is it possible I need to edit a .ini file?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 23, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
A clean setup with MO2 should be as simple as creating a new profile. The entire point of using MO is that it lets you apply mods without touching the vanilla game folders, so a new profile with no mods loaded should be exactly the same as the vanilla game. Similarly, you can just start unticking mods from your MO list and there should be no complications from that (assuming you're using clean saves for testing).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

isndl posted:

A clean setup with MO2 should be as simple as creating a new profile. The entire point of using MO is that it lets you apply mods without touching the vanilla game folders, so a new profile with no mods loaded should be exactly the same as the vanilla game. Similarly, you can just start unticking mods from your MO list and there should be no complications from that (assuming you're using clean saves for testing).

I ended up creating specific folders in the Fallout 4 folder, so hopefully I won't run into issues. I really don't want to have to re-download and reinstall everything a third time. I figured out in the process that at least one of the mods that didn't seem to be working was because I needed to add a line to the 'fallout4custom.ini' file.

Speaking of, I remember reading that there was a way to un-link the HUD color from the light via an .ini file, and the PipBoy Light mod detailed how to do it, but I don't see instructions on the mod page. EDIT2: I found it, you have to add this to the ini file:
code:
[Pipboy]
bPipboyEffectColorOnLight=0
Setting it to '0' is what disables it.

Also, I downloaded the Companion Infinite Ammo and Unbreakable Armor mod, but I found a recommendation for a mod called AFT - Amazing Follower Tweaks (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26976/) that gives you a lot more options. Does it work really well, or should I stick to something else? I wanted to have some more flexibility with equipping/customizing companions.

EDIT: Is there also reason why I should/shouldn't use Extended Dialog Interface over Full Dialog Interface? Extended Dialog Interface seems neat because it give you icons based on what dialog options do, and whether or not you can pass a Charisma check.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 24, 2018

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

XDI is generally preferable because it pulls dialogue in real-time instead of making a bunch of clunky edits.

Downside is that it requires F4SE and needs to be updated when the FO4 executable is updated. Also you still have to use the dumb conversation wheel when strikig up conversation with companions for some reason.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Terrorforge posted:

Downside is that it requires F4SE and needs to be updated when the FO4 executable is updated. Also you still have to use the dumb conversation wheel when strikig up conversation with companions for some reason.

If you set the game in steam to only update on launch and then never launch it through steam then it won't update with the latest creation club sludge.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

If you set the game in steam to only update on launch and then never launch it through steam then it won't update with the latest creation club sludge.

This is true and a good idea, but sometimes you'll make a mistake or something will break and you'll update by accident, or a mod you like will get an update that requires the latest version of FO4 and you will have to deal with it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How is Fallout 4 in VR? Do most mods still work? I've already got the base game and I'm wondering if its worth dropping 30 bux to play it in VR.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 25, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Terrorforge posted:

XDI is generally preferable because it pulls dialogue in real-time instead of making a bunch of clunky edits.

Terrorforge posted:

This is true and a good idea, but sometimes you'll make a mistake or something will break and you'll update by accident, or a mod you like will get an update that requires the latest version of FO4 and you will have to deal with it.

I was going to ask why that was an issue (since most mods need F4SE), but I realized that with the workshop updates and whatever, the game gets updated a lot, and that really messes with mods. One of the mods I was trying to test was crashing, and the mod page said it needs an update because of the game version.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Using mods from the workshop is absolutely asking for trouble. Mods update randomly and sometimes break as a result, modders sometimes throw a fit and delist their mods, and there's zero tools for conflict resolution so sometimes your mods simply can't work due to overwrites.

The ideal process for modding FO4 is: install FO4, launch the game once to instantiate all the config files and exit, install the F4SE, install MO2, point MO2 at the F4SE executable and use MO2 exclusively from now on. Get mods from Nexus and don't touch the workshop.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I was going to ask why that was an issue (since most mods need F4SE), but I realized that with the workshop updates and whatever, the game gets updated a lot, and that really messes with mods. One of the mods I was trying to test was crashing, and the mod page said it needs an update because of the game version.

The important point is that you don't just need to update F4SE, you also need to update the mods themselves. That's not true of every F4SE mod, but it is true for a lot of them, including XDI. So whenever the executable is updated, you need to first wait for F4SE to update, wait for all the relevant mods to update and then manually download all the updates before you can play. Obviously, every part of that process gets worse the more of these mods you have. That'd be a chore even if you could just do it right away, but of course there's no telling how long it'll take for all those individual mod authors to get around to updating. And the cherry on top is that these updates tend to be completely unannounced, so it's super common to end up in a situation where you get home from a long day at work, boot up your computer to play some Fallout 4 and discover that your game has randomly stopped working.

Oh and maybe other mod managers are better about this, but when MO2 throws a game version mismatch error, you get individual popups for each mod. In other words, you don't even get a list of which mods need updating - you have to note it down yourself.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

isndl posted:

Using mods from the workshop is absolutely asking for trouble. Mods update randomly and sometimes break as a result, modders sometimes throw a fit and delist their mods, and there's zero tools for conflict resolution so sometimes your mods simply can't work due to overwrites.

Or do things like sneak in a retexture of clothing to take a swing at someone who made a negative comment. This happened on the Skyrim workshop when it was first implemented, and since the workshop auto-update every mod you are "subscribed" (you could only install workshop mods by subscribing to them, but could immediately unsubscribe after it installed) to and makes previous versions unavailable, everyone who had it got to experience a manchild's temper tantrum.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Fallout4.exe auto-backup is a mod that supposedly makes dynamic backups of the game executable, so if Fallout 4 sneaks in a surprise update you can just replace the updated exe with an old one to make your mods work again

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I don't know what's causing it, but occasionally when saving, the display driver as well as the whole game crashes (New Vegas). But just now it crashed really hard, like I couldn't bring up Task Manager, the display showed dead channel noise. All that's left was reset the whole machine. Where should I start looking for errors? Maybe the "Better Lights mod" to improve the light? Hmm.

e: deleting all my saves seems to have fixed it.

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 27, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNB565kQyJM

So Sim Settlements is apparently instituting a full raider option where all the settlements get pre-built by the engine to start the game and you go shoot them up.

Not my scene precisely but I like some of the adjacent stuff, like more support for tint and geometry variations on existing plots.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Sim Settlements continues to impress!

What a great bunch of modders

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Not really into raiding settlements, but that doesn't diminish just how ludicrously impressive kinggath and team are when it comes to modding this game. Goddamn.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Sim Settlements is really neat but I ended up uninstalling it because it was too much additional complexity on top of all the changes Horizon made to settlements. I'm already struggling to get stable food supply, trying to figure out how the two systems are interacting isn't something I can afford to take the time for.

To be honest, the food system in Horizon is probably the least fun part about it. The number of animals you have to kill to make one meal is absurd and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn gristly meat into less appetizing cooked food. There's also a distinct lack of 'simple' recipes where I can just take my lone tato and have a baked tato snack, I either get a full set of ingredients for a fancier meal or I'm eating things raw.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That's odd, even a single level of the Hunter perk will probably keep you fed decently, and the early areas have an abundance of mole rats and radstags to get meat from. Hell, you even get a free perk point from Sanctuary (the hidden prepper cellar, IIRC) that you can use for Hunter, which means that you can get a decent stockpile of meat from Red Rocket's mole rats. And both "normal" and exotic meats have simple recipes, you just need to grind up whatever you get from hunting first.

And for crops, all you need to do is make a Resource Station and Sim Settlement's agricultural plots will automatically generate a selection of plant life for you every day.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I don't have the Hunter perk because the points have been getting invested into other things first and the leveling is slow. I'm getting meat from kills, but having to kill something like eight to ten animals for a single Wasteland Burger which will feed you for a single day is kinda ridiculous even from a "you're not very good at hunting" perspective. If the design assumption is that everyone has the Hunter perk, then that perk should be free.

As far as farming with Horizon + SS combined goes, the whole thing is just sorta opaque. Horizon already has pretty dense systems that I don't fully understand (like I get the concepts, but don't have the implicit understanding to know exactly what I want to be doing at all times so I have to read through descriptions carefully every time I want to figure out where to invest resources), SS has its own thing going on, I have to use a compatibility patch for both mods and I'm not even sure if the one that was bundled with Horizon works properly because there's a new standalone one on Nexus.

I think the timescales involved also contributed to my growing apathy - Sim Settlements is about letting the settlement grow in the background so you fast travel around and come back periodically and things have changed, while Horizon is slower paced and much more about living in the moment. I had assigned a settlement leader and a settlement blueprint and there was just too little progress relative to the amount of real time I'd been spending out doing things; I just want a drat meal while I refit before heading back out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there a balance overhaul like Horizon that doesn't include the settlement stuff that might play better with Sim Settlements maybe? Like something more combat/scavenging focused that mostly leaves settlements alone? I sort of have the same issue even though I really like what Horizon does in general - the two mods really have a lot of friction with each other even with the compatibility patch.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Has anyone tried the Project Valkyrie mod? https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28085

I've been watching mod showcase videos to find some more mods to use, and when I saw it brought up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soLq8Szkshk), it piqued my interest, since it adds quests that tie into the vanilla game's quests and alter the endings. Parts of it seem...risque...but I was wondering if it was worth checking out.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Max Wilco posted:

Has anyone tried the Project Valkyrie mod? https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28085

I've been watching mod showcase videos to find some more mods to use, and when I saw it brought up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soLq8Szkshk), it piqued my interest, since it adds quests that tie into the vanilla game's quests and alter the endings. Parts of it seem...risque...but I was wondering if it was worth checking out.

I played through it just to see what it'd be like, and had a bunch of thoughts on it as I went. Here, for you, are those thoughts.

So the worst bit of Valkyrie, for me, is there's like 0 gating.
So you meet the titular Valkyrie in the Pearson's insane asylum, she's a result of experiments on Lorenzo and is immune to age. Cool, fine, whatever works for me.
Except you meet her before you get to Lorenzo's chamber and she asks you what happened to him and there's the options like I killed him etc but like... You haven't even met him yet!! You should expect that!! She's placed on the path before you get to him!!

And then like a quest later you find a bot who gives you remote override codes to control liberty prime
And your pc talks about liberty prime
A) the brotherhood hasn't even arrived yet, maybe don't let this quest start until they do

B) I fuckin beat the game the first time without ever knowing he was even in the game, the pc has no clue its just so loving lovely

Quests and dialogue has 0 gating
-

With regards to things being risque, that's an understatement. All of their mods are how I'd make mods, which is to say a whole bunch of third party assets all smashed together like a horny 9 year old playing with legos. For example, here's a quest hub.

Beyond that, the entire atmosphere is sort of hard to describe but it really feels like horny dudes that want to see naked women all the time but can't just embrace that? It's that "what gore is ok but nipples aren't?" smug faced attitude 100% of the time. When you first meet a character she's naked having a shower, and you must see that for the script to fire and her to come out to talk to you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Is there a balance overhaul like Horizon that doesn't include the settlement stuff that might play better with Sim Settlements maybe? Like something more combat/scavenging focused that mostly leaves settlements alone? I sort of have the same issue even though I really like what Horizon does in general - the two mods really have a lot of friction with each other even with the compatibility patch.

Arbitration has been pretty good for me from a gameplay perspective.

As for loot, I don't really look at that myself since Sim Settlements eats up a whole bunch of scrap and, if you need to patch a hole, food, but this loot mod sounds alright.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

*randomendoftheworldpimp.jpeg*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I updated a bunch of mods to their latest versions after not playing for a while, because way not, and whoo boy some mod authors love adding in extra features.

D.E.C.A.Y. - Better Ghouls now makes every single ghoul in the game contain a bunch of loot consisting of random bones and like 20 pounds of "ghoul flesh" that can be used in food crafting.

Raider Overhaul now has a chainsaw weapon that I found and assumed was a Nuka World thing, but it turns out to be ridiculously OP for melee builds, especially in non-VATS mode. The damage output doesn't look that high, but it 'fires' basically continuously so the DPS is ridiculous -- you can just hold the fire button and enemies will run straight into it and gib themselves. And in VATS I think it works like automatic rifles, where one VATS "shot" consists of several actual hits.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 31, 2018