Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

he only knows brave is a thing because a fan of his who blocks his ads tried to give him $33 and the adblock company tried to facilitate that (in an inept way). that fan is never going to stop using adblock, so isn't this model generally a positive step that benefits creators? Obviously there are some serious questions about the way Brave is doing this, but lol at flipping out about the donations. it's adblockers and an adblock company trying to give them money where they're currently receiving no money.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I use chrome w Adblock. Life is simpler.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

I use chrome w Adblock. Life is simpler.

Every once and a while I feel bad about using adblock, but then whenever I rebuild or get a new pc and use a browser without it I realize just how atrociously ugly and annoying internet ads are how they pretty much ruin a majority of websites that I go to.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 25, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

Is there any evidence of this beyond this tweet? I can't find any screenshots or other people saying it.

David Gerard posts in YOSPOS’ Bitcoin thread fwiw, as divabot.

univbee fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 25, 2018

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I remember seeing some dude who went to white-paper levels of research about how much loading times of a webpage is due to waiting for responses and loading times from ads before a page loads and something like 70-90% of some pages load delay before you get your content is due to waiting for responses from adservers.

Ads literally ruin the internet while still sustaining it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

poverty goat posted:

he only knows brave is a thing because a fan of his who blocks his ads tried to give him $33 and the adblock company tried to facilitate that (in an inept way). that fan is never going to stop using adblock, so isn't this model generally a positive step that benefits creators? Obviously there are some serious questions about the way Brave is doing this, but lol at flipping out about the donations. it's adblockers and an adblock company trying to give them money where they're currently receiving no money.
The analogy here seems to be that this guy wants to give Dr. Youtubes some money. I'm standing nearby so I tell him I know Dr. Youtubes, I can give the money to him. He hands me the money, and I kind of shout towards Dr. Youtubes, "Yo, money for you here!" and then I put it in my wallet. If Dr. Youtubes ends his sixteen hour day of streaming fortnite for anthropoids and remembers to come by, I will give him the money; otherwise, I will spend it on weasel dust.

Your thesis seems to be that this is ok, or at least, it is ok enough that Dr. Youtubes shouldn't care.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Do they actually inform the person the donations are for?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

McGiggins posted:

Do they actually inform the person the donations are for?

Only if they have more than 100 bucks. No, really.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Ad driven internet is killing everybody so don't feel bad about it. Faster it dies the better for everyone

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

Ad driven internet is killing everybody so don't feel bad about it. Faster it dies the better for everyone

The next step from ad driven internet is data driven internet and we're doing our best to kill that first. Don't want to know what comes after.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

It's a Christmas miracle :kiddo:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Love hearing that the two British people who are normally at my family Christmas as friends of my aunt aren't here this year because they lost 70k on the Bitcoin they wouldn't shut the gently caress up about last year and got divorced. Owns.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

mess with the bull, get the horns

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

poverty goat posted:

It really doesn't benefit creators when someone fakes their endorsement to make money for themselves, no.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tom Scott’s channel is good and he seems a legit decent dude. So gently caress anyone being a dick to him, no matter how many nerds try to defend them.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

The green and red in the order book widget kinda looks like a Christmas tree now that I look at it

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

univbee posted:

David Gerard posts in YOSPOS’ Bitcoin thread fwiw, as divabot.

I post in there too occasionally, but that tweet was posted here :v:

Maybe it'll keep dropping like the balls on New Years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

Is there any evidence of this beyond this tweet? I can't find any screenshots or other people saying it.

You can ask David (divabot here).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

poverty goat posted:

Even if brave is in the wrong here I think this retard baby throwing a shitfit on twitter over pirate donations to him from his fans is also part of the problem

You should probably do a bit more research on Tom Scott before you start slamming him.

E:

Just gonna throw this unrelated video in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI

Tom Scott knows his poo poo and isn't a dick.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 25, 2018

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Vakal posted:

Every once and a while I feel bad about using adblock, but then whenever I rebuild or get a new pc and use a browser without it I realize just how atrociously ugly and annoying internet ads are how they pretty much ruin a majority of websites that I go to.

This is exactly my experience. I refused to use ad blockers for the first several years they were around, because I realize advertising is crucial to many sites and individuals. The situation finally got so bad that I broke down and started using them. Now, every time I reinstall an operating system, or use a device that doesn’t have an ad blocker installed, I am loving APPALLED at the poo poo I see. Holy gently caress. The goddamn internet is basically unusable without an ad blocker.

Whenever I feel bad about blocking ads, I surf the internet without an ad blocker for about an hour, and I get that poo poo right out of my system. The news sites have thirty “related” articles down the right-hand side which are all actually ads, auto-playing advertisement videos every 1/4 of a page, and massive modals insisting that you sign up for their newsletters or whatever. Entertainment and tech review sites break up 1,000-word articles into twelve pages and feed you an interstitial every time you click the “next” arrow. Videos now have ads in the middle just like regular television shows, PLUS all the ads around the videos, PLUS all the invasive tracking they’re doing. gently caress ‘em.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

This is exactly my experience. I refused to use ad blockers for the first several years they were around, because I realize advertising is crucial to many sites and individuals. The situation finally got so bad that I broke down and started using them. Now, every time I reinstall an operating system, or use a device that doesn’t have an ad blocker installed, I am loving APPALLED at the poo poo I see. Holy gently caress. The goddamn internet is basically unusable without an ad blocker.

Whenever I feel bad about blocking ads, I surf the internet without an ad blocker for about an hour, and I get that poo poo right out of my system. The news sites have thirty “related” articles down the right-hand side which are all actually ads, auto-playing advertisement videos every 1/4 of a page, and massive modals insisting that you sign up for their newsletters or whatever. Entertainment and tech review sites break up 1,000-word articles into twelve pages and feed you an interstitial every time you click the “next” arrow. Videos now have ads in the middle just like regular television shows, PLUS all the ads around the videos, PLUS all the invasive tracking they’re doing. gently caress ‘em.

It really makes me sad for all the regular people trying to use the internet, shutting all this garbage down is trivial for dorks like us but the regular user just has to suffer.

Then again they all ruined the internet when they joined it so gently caress em.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Mimesweeper posted:

It really makes me sad for all the regular people trying to use the internet, shutting all this garbage down is trivial for dorks like us but the regular user just has to suffer.

Then again they all ruined the internet when they joined it so gently caress em.

They call 'em "normies" on 4chan

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

John_A_Tallon posted:

They call 'em "normies" on 4chan

Now that's funny, the entirety of 4chan are normies.

AOL was a mistake.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sub 4K, 3700 last i checked.

merry stolen pagan holiday steeped in christofacism everyone

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Twitch and other sites have started encoding the ads right into the middle of the content so there's nothing to block. That's when I stopped using the site. :shrug:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Twitter about Brave has been amazing the past two days, basically cos Brendan Eich tweets like he's been getting corporate relations and PR lessons from Elon Musk.

Here's a story from The Block about it. (Amy Castor wrote it, I fed her a pile of the research.)

It's important to remember that Brave literally only exists because Eich is world-famous for being a homophobe.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Khorne posted:

Twitch and other sites have started encoding the ads right into the middle of the content so there's nothing to block. That's when I stopped using the site. :shrug:

If you're pulling the stream from the site with streamlink or similar you don't see any ads. It's nice

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Tashilicious posted:

sub 4K, 3700 last i checked.

merry stolen pagan holiday steeped in christofacism everyone

Ah yes, Christmas, the fascist holiday.

Edit :

divabot posted:

Twitter about Brave has been amazing the past two days, basically cos Brendan Eich tweets like he's been getting corporate relations and PR lessons from Elon Musk.

Here's a story from The Block about it. (Amy Castor wrote it, I fed her a pile of the research.)

It's important to remember that Brave literally only exists because Eich is world-famous for being a homophobe.

I think it's famous because he's a Mozilla co-founder, regardless of his idiotic ideas on prop 8.

Regardless, I like the idea of having an option to tip sites and "creators" in a manner similar to this one, but it's amazing how badly they implemented it... Not to mention that they'll place their own ads in the future.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 25, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dewgy posted:

It really doesn't benefit creators when someone fakes their endorsement to make money for themselves, no.

it's pretty much the same as if they sent him a gift card. it's his, and if he doesn't use it the store will just take the money

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Khorne posted:

I've never seen a single ad on twitch because I've always had Amazon Prime. Based Jeff Bezos gives me ad free viewing on all Twitch streams and lets me hook up a streamer I like with a $2.50/month sub.

Do we have a Bezos emote?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

Ah yes, Christmas, the fascist holiday.

Be nice, they worked really hard to come up with 'christofascist' when mom dragged them away from the Nintendo for Christmas Eve services.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

poverty goat posted:

it's pretty much the same as if they sent him a gift card. it's his, and if he doesn't use it the store will just take the money

To be fair, I don't think that's a fair comparison. You KNOW if someone gives you a gift card. The issue here is that the recipients don't know people are giving them money, and then the money goes to Brave.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

I've never seen a single ad on twitch because I've always had Amazon Prime. Based Jeff Bezos gives me ad free viewing on all Twitch streams and lets me hook up a streamer I like with a $2.50/month sub.

:thermidor:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Supposedly they are taking that away for all channels but the one you use your free prime on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Non Serviam posted:

I think it's famous because he's a Mozilla co-founder, regardless of his idiotic ideas on prop 8.

Can you name another thing a Mozilla co-founder is doing that gets that much coverage?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pham Nuwen posted:

Be nice, they worked really hard to come up with 'christofascist' when mom dragged them away from the Nintendo for Christmas Eve services.

it was a genesis >:I

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Hello I'm collecting Kum & Go gift cards for Poverty Goat. Since there are no Kum and Go stores anywhere near them, I'm sure they won't want the free money, so I'll just keep the cards. But it's totally donations for Poverty Goat and they can totally collect this totally-useless-to-them money if they want!

PS don't tell Poverty Goat, I'll be sure to let them know. Y'know, once they've got at least $100 in Kum & Go cards.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I don't think anyone itt believes that tom Scott doesn't know about his Brave donations. That's even more absurd than 2 pages ago when everyone itt believed Brave was a crypto browser

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Can you name another thing a Mozilla co-founder is doing that gets that much coverage?

Firefox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

I don't think anyone itt believes that tom Scott doesn't know about his Brave donations. That's even more absurd than 2 pages ago when everyone itt believed Brave was a crypto browser

This is a real weird hill to die on.