Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Loving the leper's colony :five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sereri posted:

Gonna need more infos.
Device, rooted/flashed, chrome installed? Version? Using themes in Awful? Did you set an alternative font-size ?
Does expanding the user info / avatar work? Maybe screenshot

The three dots work again, and I have no idea what either you or I did, so cheers to us both!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Mine still broke. Might try a few other troubleshooting things.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hah look at these chumps who don't know how to use the three sea shells dots.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

madeintaipei posted:

Hi, I'm having the three-dots not working problem.

LG K7
Android 5.1.1
Not flashed/rooted
Chrome installed, Ver. 71.0.3578.98
I can expand the user/av bar

So I'm dumb and if you have an Android version earlier than 7 / Nougat you need to look for the Android system webview instead of chrome.

As for the lineage dude earlier, doesn't that come with its own webview thing? Can you try switching that?

I just tested it on the old nexus 5 that i flashed with 5.0.1 and it just worked ™. Considering the relative small amount of people having this problem, is it possible this is some convoluted case of holding it wrong?

Sereri fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 22, 2018

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yeah that was me. I was using Dolphin as my browser, have just tried the one that came with lineage as default. Still nope. Try chrome?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I assume you mean swapping the default browser? Just installed latest chrome, no change.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

This is what it does. It doesn't always immediately come up with the app has stopped thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1gdu50lvjY

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Does this say it's installed?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.webview

If not, try installing it - it's the standard webview and some roms come with their own, and it can cause problems with browsery apps like this one

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Oh I thought it just doesn't do anything :psyduck:

Please use "send feedback" and put in your username

Also to change the webview you need to change something in the settings but I don't know what or where it needs changing.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh right a video

Yeah we had an issue before where you had to touch the dots exactly, not the area around them, so it felt like it didn't work all the time. That's an actual crash though

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Sereri posted:

So I'm dumb and if you have an Android version earlier than 7 / Nougat you need to look for the Android system webview instead of chrome.

Updating Android system webview seems to have fixed it. Looks like webview itself was updated on the 18th of this month, although the dots stopped working for me yesterday.

Anyhow, everything else works just fine. Thank y'all!

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

I am running lineageos and I just installed the recommended webview from the play store which fixed it. I had to go to my phone's system settings - developer options - webview implementation and change it from AOSP to Google after I installed it.

Before that, nothing happened at all when I tried to tap the three dots button on a post. It was working in the previous update before the latest small one if that helps.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Yo how do I get my phone to bring up a big frog head when I turn on the all instead of the 'Awful.' text? Thanks merry Christmas

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

baka kaba posted:

Oh right a video

Yeah we had an issue before where you had to touch the dots exactly, not the area around them, so it felt like it didn't work all the time. That's an actual crash though

Yes, thank you so much for making the target bigger again. That was really a pain.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
I just realized my three dots doesn't work either.

LG G5 Plus
Awful ver. 3.6.1
Not flashed or rooted, Official Android 8.1.0
Chrome is ver. 70.0.3538
No alternative theme. font size 16, 40 posts per page.
Expanding works.

I tried pressing on, and all around the three dots, but nothing shows up.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

baka kaba posted:

Does this say it's installed?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.webview

If not, try installing it - it's the standard webview and some roms come with their own, and it can cause problems with browsery apps like this one

Sereri posted:

Oh I thought it just doesn't do anything :psyduck:

Please use "send feedback" and put in your username

Also to change the webview you need to change something in the settings but I don't know what or where it needs changing.

Okay I sent feedback from the crash notification, but then I installed webview from Baka kabas suggestion, changed it to the new one in developer options and it's working! So now I know what I need to keep an eye on.

Thanking you all.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Yo how do I get my phone to bring up a big frog head when I turn on the all instead of the 'Awful.' text? Thanks merry Christmas

Gonna second this. Alternatively I'll take a giant ghost

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

There's already a ghost on the splash screen.........

hambeet posted:

Okay I sent feedback from the crash notification, but then I installed webview from Baka kabas suggestion, changed it to the new one in developer options and it's working! So now I know what I need to keep an eye on.

Thanking you all.

Thanks for the crash report before you fixed it! I bet it's gonna be the rom equivalent of Samsunged Again

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Gonna second this. Alternatively I'll take a giant ghost

Just so long as Awful. remains an option.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

baka kaba posted:

There's already a ghost on the splash screen.........

Thanks for the crash report before you fixed it! I bet it's gonna be the rom equivalent of Samsunged Again

What? Where?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

hooah posted:

What? Where?

Ape Agitator posted:

Just so long as Awful. remains an option.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

This keeps happening:

I haven't figured out the exact trigger, it seems to be random after opening a thread from a subform or bookmarks. Swiping horizontally sometimes does nothing and sometimes moves it a teensy tiny bit. Backing out with the back button and opening the thread again fixes it.

This is 3.6.1 on a Pixel (1) XL with Chrome 71.0.3578.99. I have horizontal swipe navigation disabled, if that matters.

Apologies if it's already been reported, I looked back a few pages and didn't see anything that sounded like it except for someone who had swipe navigation stop working sometimes.

Theris fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 23, 2018

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

WienerDog posted:

I just realized my three dots doesn't work either.

LG G5 Plus
Awful ver. 3.6.1
Not flashed or rooted, Official Android 8.1.0
Chrome is ver. 70.0.3538
No alternative theme. font size 16, 40 posts per page.
Expanding works.

I tried pressing on, and all around the three dots, but nothing shows up.

Just tested this on my old G5+ and it works.

I can make it not work by pressing at a second location while pressing the ⋮ or if I press it too long.

Current version of Chrome is 71 btw, but it shouldn't matter since the require thing was added in like 65 in march or something.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Sereri posted:

Just tested this on my old G5+ and it works.

I can make it not work by pressing at a second location while pressing the ⋮ or if I press it too long.

Current version of Chrome is 71 btw, but it shouldn't matter since the require thing was added in like 65 in march or something.

I read this post, tried to tap the three dots and it still didn't work.
Then I updated Chrome, and now it works.

Thanks, this app always was, and remains, Awful.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Is anyone experiencing more of a battery drain on an S8+ since updating? I've noticed in the past few days that my battery is charging super quickly and this is one of the apps I've updated in the past few days. I've removed any straight-up new apps I've installed, so I'm trying to narrow it down. Not sure if there is anything running in the background with the app or if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I have an S8+ but I haven't particularly noticed that. I think the phone software updates sometimes do that but that's only a guess. I do run on medium power saving profile all the time though, so I may be an atypical case.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Access to the leper colony was one of my main complaints so I love that about the new update.

One issue is if I open another app for even a second, when I reopen the awful app it is both slower and re-opens the thread in a blank state, so I have to refresh and lose my spot.

Using a ZTE blade V8 pro

Edit: android 6.0.1. Going into the settings menu to look up my android version made me have to refresh the thread. This is a new behavior since the latest awful app update, it worked fine before.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Are you seeing the "Awful." splash screen when that happens?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Are you seeing the "Awful." splash screen when that happens?

According to trying it a few times, yes. Previously it would just load in with all the posts from current page still there, cached or whatever

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah the app's getting kicked out of memory by your phone. Do you have a lot of other apps running / some kind of "power saving" app installed / Destroy Activities enabled in your phone's Developer Options (if you've messed with that)? Are you looking at heavy threads with a lot of images or videos?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Phenix Rising posted:

Is anyone experiencing more of a battery drain on an S8+ since updating? I've noticed in the past few days that my battery is charging super quickly and this is one of the apps I've updated in the past few days. I've removed any straight-up new apps I've installed, so I'm trying to narrow it down. Not sure if there is anything running in the background with the app or if anyone else has experienced something similar.

I think I've come to the conclusion that the issue with my battery isn't app-related. Hooray!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Yeah the app's getting kicked out of memory by your phone. Do you have a lot of other apps running / some kind of "power saving" app installed / Destroy Activities enabled in your phone's Developer Options (if you've messed with that)? Are you looking at heavy threads with a lot of images or videos?

Right, but previous to this patch it would reopen the thread in the same spot I was in, I much preferred the old function. It doesn't matter which thread, and I don't really have many other apps open. I'll close awful to check something on a single tab, then when I tab back it's gone again.

Like even if the app was kicked off memory before, it would just show the frog for a few seconds until it loaded back in on the correct spot in the thread. Now it loads in on the white screen where I have to refresh

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 24, 2018

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Since installing the big update, going to one of my bookmarked threads to see the new posts just takes me to a white screen on the page where I left off. If I refresh by hitting the button or swiping it marks all those new posts as read and puts me at the top of the page so I don't actually know what's unread. On an S8+with newest OS.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah the blank page when the app first starts is a bug, we're looking at it!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

Yeah the blank page when the app first starts is a bug, we're looking at it!

stop breaking the app, mate :argh:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah you're not paid to break the app.

Thanks for the work though :v:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Hi, I am using the app in a Huawei Mediapad M1 tablet running Android 4.2.2. Since a couple months ago, I can't see any user avatars, nor emotes, they just won't load at all and the app will show a "?" icon in its place. I reinstalled the app, no luck. The appropiate options are all checked ("Show users avatars", "show emotes" and "not hide on mobile broadband") so I have no idea what's causing the issue. Maybe the Android version is a bit old to play nice with the app?

In any case, thanks for your work, it's very nice to have a comfortable way of browsing while on mobile.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Jiru posted:

Hi, I am using the app in a Huawei Mediapad M1 tablet running Android 4.2.2. Since a couple months ago, I can't see any user avatars, nor emotes, they just won't load at all and the app will show a "?" icon in its place. I reinstalled the app, no luck. The appropiate options are all checked ("Show users avatars", "show emotes" and "not hide on mobile broadband") so I have no idea what's causing the issue. Maybe the Android version is a bit old to play nice with the app?

In any case, thanks for your work, it's very nice to have a comfortable way of browsing while on mobile.

Your phone is so out of date it can no longer resolve the secure content on the page because the forums no longer support the old protocol. Since we also no longer target anything below lollipop this will not change in the future. Sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Sereri posted:

Your phone is so out of date it can no longer resolve the secure content on the page because the forums no longer support the old protocol. Since we also no longer target anything below lollipop this will not change in the future. Sorry :(

Supposed so. Oh well, thanks anyway!