Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

If the first episode grabbed you like that you're in for a treat

Is Tusk in that one? The show has these great set pieces set to iconic songs from the era, there's one with Eminence Front that owns

Yeah, the whole series opens with that Tusk segment iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

feedmyleg posted:

Oh poo poo. I just watched the first episode of The Americans. I felt like I just watched an entire season. That was incredible.

I recently powerwatched the entire series for the first time over the course of a few weeks and it was indeed incredible.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ray Donovan has always been a very dark, rather depressing show. But this season, they’ve really taken it to another level. Sweet Jesus.

Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight both deserve Emmys.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

AllisonByProxy posted:

I recently powerwatched the entire series for the first time over the course of a few weeks and it was indeed incredible.

Managed to watch 5 episodes last night. Had the most overactive paranoid dreams. This thing is already worming its way into my brain and I'm barely into it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hey there's a sale on the Veronica Mars box set let's see the praise for the show in the comments...

Since when did it become ok to start calling shows "content" like they are just advertisements to be consumed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Since when did it become ok to start calling shows "content" like they are just advertisements to be consumed.

I think it's an inevitable process of calling shows "franchises" or even "IPs". It's deeply crap, but I think that's what it is.

Those two are deeply stupid though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Since when is Veronica Mars not a feminist show? :psyduck:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a product of the tech industry leaking into the entertainment industry. It's gross, but it's also somewhat necessary because they're no longer strictly "television" or "cinema" in a post-Netflix world.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rarity posted:

Since when is Veronica Mars not a feminist show? :psyduck:

Something gamergate?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Veronica Mars does have one of those storylines where a self-described feminist is in opposition to the main character, which shows starring women used to do all the loving time to reassure their audience that they're not feminist just for being about a woman who is cool and deals with issues relating to her gender.

Remember that one of the PR people for the loving Handmaid's Tale insisted it wasn't a feminist show before it started airing. That label is viewed as poisonous in the US.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
VMar's take on the college feminists was a little more nuanced than that, I thought. Veronica rejects those women not because she's anti-feminist (or opposed to the feminist label) -- and not because the show is opposed to either of those things -- but because she's anti-solidarity in its entirety because she's reprocessing her trauma of being raped. She ends that arc embracing solidarity, and is saved specifically by the systems those women fought to have put in place to keep women safe.

The Lillith House women are generally shown to be in the right about most of what they do, but consistently have their credibility undermined by the actions of a handful of outliers. The frat houses, on the other hand, blatantly endorse rape culture, and regularly commit actions far more widespread and insidious, and consistently shown in a very dim light. But the few men who ever have to face up to their actions are easily let off the hook, and the Greek system ultimately fails to make anything but the most token gestures towards reform.

I'd argue that's a pointed critique of the way minority organisations tend to be treated.

I also give that season more of the benefit of the doubt when it comes to their long term plotting, because they were ordered to stop telling serialised stories partway through the season. So a bunch of their plots just immediately stop overnight.

Lurdiak posted:

Remember that one of the PR people for the loving Handmaid's Tale insisted it wasn't a feminist show before it started airing. That label is viewed as poisonous in the US.

Wasn't that Elizabeth Moss?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For what it's worth, the Greek culture in VM is exceptionally accurate to a college town (say Ball State in Muncie Indiana) of the time. It's horrifying how much they can get away with.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

VMar's take on the college feminists was a little more nuanced than that, I thought. Veronica rejects those women not because she's anti-feminist (or opposed to the feminist label) -- and not because the show is opposed to either of those things -- but because she's anti-solidarity in its entirety because she's reprocessing her trauma of being raped. She ends that arc embracing solidarity, and is saved specifically by the systems those women fought to have put in place to keep women safe.

The Lillith House women are generally shown to be in the right about most of what they do, but consistently have their credibility undermined by the actions of a handful of outliers. The frat houses, on the other hand, blatantly endorse rape culture, and regularly commit actions far more widespread and insidious, and consistently shown in a very dim light. But the few men who ever have to face up to their actions are easily let off the hook, and the Greek system ultimately fails to make anything but the most token gestures towards reform.

I'd argue that's a pointed critique of the way minority organisations tend to be treated.

I also give that season more of the benefit of the doubt when it comes to their long term plotting, because they were ordered to stop telling serialised stories partway through the season. So a bunch of their plots just immediately stop overnight.

Wasn't that Elizabeth Moss?

Yeah, well she's only got one oar in the water.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

feedmyleg posted:

What's some of the best pulp fiction on TV in the last decade? Killing Eve comes to mind for me, just nailing everything that's great about the stuff but also being stylish, sharp, and incredibly well-written.

e: Hap & Leonard?

Hap & Leonard is the best.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rhyno posted:

For what it's worth, the Greek culture in VM is exceptionally accurate to a college town (say Ball State in Muncie Indiana) of the time. It's horrifying how much they can get away with.
All the lawmakers and judges were in that system and that's how you get Brock Turnerses.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Timeless finale was pretty good. Everything wrapped up a little too neatly, but I'm good with that - I wish more shows had definitive finales they were allowed to make.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I watched episode 1 of The Fix and it's awful. America cannot do panel shows right. I don't get it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

What's some of the best pulp fiction on TV in the last decade? Killing Eve comes to mind for me, just nailing everything that's great about the stuff but also being stylish, sharp, and incredibly well-written.

e: Hap & Leonard?

This is a bit unconventional but as noir as you can possibly be with a show about vampires, Angel, was pretty grand. Banshee but I gave up a couple seasons.

Spartacus if you're counting swords and sandals.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

Timeless finale was pretty good. Everything wrapped up a little too neatly, but I'm good with that - I wish more shows had definitive finales they were allowed to make.

Spoil me baby, I fell off after a few episodes and will never get round to catching up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Croatoan posted:

So I watched episode 1 of The Fix and it's awful. America cannot do panel shows right. I don't get it.

That, along with the US remake failures of Peep Show, The IT Crowd, Coupling, Skins, etc. there is just something about British TV and humor that doesn't translate to mainstream American success.

Panel shows are a weird outlier because since the BBC runs everything its not like people are making $600K an episode for a long running series. I'm pretty sure before he got married David Mitchell (BAFTA award winner with multiple major TV successes) was still living in a shared apartment in London. I can't really imagine most US actors willing to show up for a paycheck that's smaller then they were getting when they started out.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Shameless US is a rare case of the remake being better imo, but the two shows also have wildly different vibes so that probably helps it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does Voltron end up sucking at the end or is the falloff in IMDB ratings because of the whole gay Shiro foofaraw

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

From what I've gathered (have not watched in forever) there's some legitimate issues with the way certain arcs resolve, particularly one character's death, but most of what I'm seeing is shipping bullshit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched the trailer for The Fix and it looked like twice as scripted as the most scripted UK panel show I’ve seen (and that is already a heck of a lot) so I’m not surprised it sucks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arist posted:

From what I've gathered (have not watched in forever) there's some legitimate issues with the way certain arcs resolve, particularly one character's death, but most of what I'm seeing is shipping bullshit.

loving fandoms man. I'm mid season 5 and it was just a “laundry show” that I could watch while doing other stuff but it's kind of grabbed me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Voltron, for those who are unaware, is the children's show on Netflix where a fan tried to blackmail the producers into making their ship canon.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
So much media would be so much better without romantic sub-plots. I don't know if it's just teenagers, but how are so many people so unfulfilled in their relationships that they have strong, real-world opinions about which fictional characters bang?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

So much media would be so much better without romantic sub-plots. I don't know if it's just teenagers, but how are so many people so unfulfilled in their relationships that they have strong, real-world opinions about which fictional characters bang?

I think it's about status within those online communities. Like they want to be known as the go-to guy for Lance/Hulk mpreg fanfic and the most important thing when approaching new media is what popular ships they can generate out of them, to impress people on message boards and tumblr.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Parasocial (especially pseudonymous) relationships incentivize narrow specialization and radicalization

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

House of Cards season 7 is looking very strange

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1077330842496708608

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anthony Hopkins counters with a better video

https://twitter.com/AnthonyHopkins/status/1077314641934442496

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I came across some more info about the Black Mirror movie

quote:

The latest reported details on “Black Mirror: Bandersnatch” are the most clear-cut yet. The movie’s alleged official plot description reads: “A young programmer makes a fantasy novel into a game. Soon, reality and virtual world are mixed and start to create confusion.” That “Bandersnatch” would be set in the world of video games lines up with recent fan theories, as “Bandersnatch” was the name of a video game listed in the Season 3 episode “Playtest,” directed by Dan Trachtenberg and starring Wyatt Russell. Additionally, “Bandersnatch” was a video game developed in real life by Imagine Software in 1984, but it was never released to the public.

In addition to the plot description, The Independent reports “Black Mirror: Bandersnatch” is directed by David Slade and stars “Dunkirk” breakout Fionn Whitehead in the lead role. Slade is already a member of the “Black Mirror” franchise, having directed the Season 4 episode “Metalhead.” Slade’s film credits include “Hard Candy” and “30 Days of Nights,” and he has also directed episodes of “Breaking Bad,” “Hannibal,” and “American Gods.”

The most interesting new detail is that “Bandersnatch” reportedly has 312 minutes of footage, which is over five hours. A huge number like that would be ridiculously long for a feature film, but it would make sense given reports that “Black Mirror” is planning a choose-your-own adventure storyline. News first broke on an interactive “Black Mirror” episode in October, and the 312 minute “Bandersnatch” runtime suggests it’s a choose-your-own-adventure movie.

As previously noted, Netflix has not confirmed these details, nor have they released any concrete information about “Black Mirror: Bandersnatch” outside of its official online landing page. Expect every “Black Mirror” fan to be waiting in front of the television December 28.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/black-mirror-bandersnatch-page-goes-164416444.html

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Binge watched first season of 3% today. Not really certain how good I think it was yet but managed to be interesting enough to keep watching.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Kevin Spacey, havin' a day.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Lycus posted:

Kevin Spacey, havin' a day.

Keep in mind, what's come out is still only about 5% of what's strongly rumoured about him.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Keep in mind, what's come out is still only about 5% of what's strongly rumoured about him.

Kevin Spacey died when the gerbil he shoved up his rear end to remove his ribs so he could blow himself mixed pop rocks and coke. The next day the gerbil came home to a bouquet of flowers and a note from Eddie Murphy saying that it was the funniest thing he had ever seen.

That gerbil's name? Albert Einstein.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The gerbil is a George Clooney rumour, but I like your version better.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Guy Mann posted:

That gerbil's name? Albert Einstein.

Albert Brooks was a gerbil?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/krangtnelson/status/1077290432781053953?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's an early Boxing Day gift

https://mobile.twitter.com/kevinthekith/status/1077602296039723008