Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's multiple endings and cheevos tied to them in both vanilla and DLC so more runs or some savegame trickery will be required.
And for the love of God don't do all the question marks, you'd go insane in Skellige. It is worth it to get them all in the first tutorial area, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

anilEhilated posted:

There's multiple endings and cheevos tied to them in both vanilla and DLC so more runs or some savegame trickery will be required.
And for the love of God don't do all the question marks, you'd go insane in Skellige. It is worth it to get them all in the first tutorial area, though.

That is what I mean, there aren't any trophies tied to them, right? Because while some are good, hot drat are there a lot, and you out level them quickly.

Thanks for the multiple run tip though, that was one big issue.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CuddleCryptid posted:

Not playing the first time but trying to complete it after not playing for a while, is I am going for all the trophies in Witcher 3 then what approximate percentage of the random world quests do I need to complete? All the random question marks, I mean.

Also, are there any mutually exclusive trophies in one run?

I didnt make it all the way through my first time so I dont want to spoil it by looking up the secret trophies

You need to clear out all the monster nests in either Skellige or Novigrad/Velen. Do it in Skellige, there's like six ones you need to do. There's also a trophy to clear out 10 monster nests, so you'll need to find those too.

Other than that, there are no explicit trophies for clearing out the question marks. While some of them are worth it (notably the places of power), it's not really worth going out of your way to do them all.

Trophy-wise, there's also a location in Velen called the Devil's Pit, a bandit camp, that's great for farming certain trophies. It's a large mining camp, if you look it up online you can find the location.

Trophy-wise, there are missable ones related to certain choices in quests. I'd make sure you know what they are, as there are some that take the entire game to get.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 17, 2018

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Am about to dive back into Wasteland 2 after putting it down for RDR2. I'd stopped at the canyon with all the suicide monks/Angela leaving the party so I feel like rerolling and going through the first act again wouldn't be too bad to freshen up. I remember my SMG Leader being mostly useless in combat besides their Leadership buff, but AR Angela/my AR squaddie being a good tag team together. I also had a Sniper and a Pistol squaddie for flavor.

How viable is a squad with 2-3 AR users? I was thinking of dropping the SMG and the Sniper and having ARs in their place. Is ammo too scarce to support that, or do later encounters make it a bad idea? I had all the other skills down the way I want so mostly I'm just trying to figure out a good weapon spread.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Sniper rifles are easily the strongest weapon type in Wasteland 2 from my experience, dropping one for an extra assault rifle would likely be a really bad idea. Give your sniper the Brittle Bones quirk and the Tinkerer perk (which should be on everyone really) and set 'em up somewhere where they don't have to move much.

Anyway, as is often the case with games like that, the early game is overall the roughest part and it's also the part where ammo is the most scarce, so I'd still recommend spreading out your weapon types. it's been a while but my Leadership guy also used SMGs and he did perfectly fine even on Hard (Ranger?) if memory serves. Maybe yours just had a bad stat spread?

Rusty Penguin
Dec 27, 2012
I'm about to go in blind on Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition. I'm sort of familiar with the setting from being a tabletop nerd, but know nothing about the game's story. Is there anything I should know to get the most out of my first playthrough?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rusty Penguin posted:

I'm about to go in blind on Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition. I'm sort of familiar with the setting from being a tabletop nerd, but know nothing about the game's story. Is there anything I should know to get the most out of my first playthrough?

Put lots of points into Int. That's all you really need to know

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

precision posted:

Put lots of points into Int. That's all you really need to know

Unless the Enhanced Edition changes things around, you really, really, REALLY mean WIS.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i've never played planescape: torment but the word on the street is, you need maximum wisdom to do anything interesting in the talky bits, which are the meat of the game

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

The White Dragon posted:

i've never played planescape: torment but the word on the street is, you need maximum wisdom to do anything interesting in the talky bits, which are the meat of the game

Prioritise stats as

Wisdom
Intelligence
Charisma
Everything else

If you want to get the most out of the story.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Most speech checks are INT or CHA; the thing about WIS is that the couple checks for that tend to be really important (since they pop up in the main quest and flashbacks) and that it increases the amount of experience you get.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Probably goes without saying given the stat priority but play a mage, some really fun spells and the most interesting side plot stuff

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If youre just in the game for the talky bits, which if you play even one combat in the game youll realize you are, just cheat and maximize your stats so you can do the talking how you choose and also can blast through the terrible combat.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Probably goes without saying given the stat priority but play a mage, some really fun spells and the most interesting side plot stuff
Oh yeah, and that's not obvious either: you will start as a fighter and need to re-train if you want to get a different class (thief or mage, but as was said before, mage is the optimal way to play). The mage trainer is located in Ragpicker's Square, to the west and north of the starting dungeon; you want to start working on her quests ASAP.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 18, 2018

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
She's called Mebbeth, just in case you difficulty finding her.

Honestly, the real best advice to give here is to cheat off your rear end and set all your stats to 25. The combat in this game is terrible, it's all about the plot and characters. You will miss out on literally none of the real fun if you do.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Cardiovorax posted:

She's called Mebbeth, just in case you difficulty finding her.

Honestly, the real best advice to give here is to cheat off your rear end and set all your stats to 25. The combat in this game is terrible, it's all about the plot and characters. You will miss out on literally none of the real fun if you do.

Yeah, honestly, the only thing having lower stats does is cause you to miss out on content. There's one really annoying bit where the only nonviolent way to solve a certain mystery requires you to have at least 16 points in Charisma, for example. If you don't have that by a certain point in the game, you either have to skip that mystery, or else you end up having to murder an entire village, basically.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Torment should've been a statless adventure game, really. You can tell that this is what it's really trying to be, but nobody would've bought it if they had taken the D&D out of it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Barudak posted:

If youre just in the game for the talky bits, which if you play even one combat in the game youll realize you are, just cheat and maximize your stats so you can do the talking how you choose and also can blast through the terrible combat.

This sounds like bullshit but its totally true. I also would give the same advice if you ever attempt to play Witchers 1 or 2.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 18, 2018

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's kind of sad for how many games I've had to give that advice so far in this thread, but it's perfectly true every time. Developers tend to be really bad at making gameplay and story equally fun. It's always either one or the other.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Really the only thing you miss out on is the occasional feeling of accomplishment when you find out a bizarre way to permanently boost an attribute, but those aren't wildly common and it's totally worth cheating to avoid some of the crappier aspects of combat. I love the idea of combat in P:T, but it's just not well executed at all.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
What do I need to know about Valkyria Chronicles 4?

I’ve never played any of the previous games, and the extent of my knowledge about them is that is anime WWII.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cultural Marxist posted:

I’ve never played any of the previous games, and the extent of my knowledge about them is that is anime WWII.
Your squadmates will have various positive and negative potentials that can activate in battle, and they can either get more good ones or turn a bad one into something beneficial by completing their side stories. You unlock these by using them in battle a whole bunch along with the other two squadmates who are involved in the episode. There's no way to know who goes with what, or what chapter they unlock, without looking them up, but if you just use everyone a bunch and don't let them permadie you'll unlock them eventually.

Speaking of it, yes there is permadeath, but it is fairly generous. If a unit falls you can rescue them by getting to their bodies in a certain number of turns, and there are orders that can evac a unit immediately.

The classic strategy in all Valkyria Chronicles games is to use an order to boost Defense, and then take a scout to rush the enemy base. This is less viable in VC4 but it's still a Thing.

Raz sucks.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Thank you! Orders haven’t been introduced yet, but I’ve only played a little bit. The lady with the mortar has just turned up, so I’m not far in.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Cultural Marxist posted:

Missions are ranked purely by how many turns you take to complete them, so if you want to A-rank them, you need to think of ways to push ahead quickly and efficiently.

Training a class to level 11 makes them "elite," which gives them a stat boost and often new or improved abilities. Elite scouts get grenade launchers for their rifles, letting them them shoot grenades much farther. Stormtroopers get flamethrowers for taking out enemies in cover, Snipers get interception fire, Engineers get improved repair, and so on. I'm not sure if Lancers still get anti-personnel mini-mortars like in the first one, and I don't think Grenadiers get anything other than the stat bonus.
It may be better to beeline to level 11 for Scouts and Stormtroopers instead of leveling evenly because of this. I took a break from the game before seeing how effective Sniper interception fire is.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 19, 2018

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Random Hajile posted:

Missions are ranked purely by how many turns you take to complete them, so if you want to A-rank them, you need to think of ways to push ahead quickly and efficiently.

It's worth noting that while rank is only decided by turns taken, it's not the only way you're measured. Exp/money received, as well as the reward weapons you get after certain maps, is based on things like killing all enemy leaders/tanks, no deaths, no KOs (reduced to 0 HP), etc. Turn limits for top rank are also much more lenient than previous games to account for this. So while you still can scout rush, you're generally better off focusing on efficiency than speed.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Just picked up the Stalker games on the steam sale. Is there a particular game I should play over the others? I am not sure I am going to have time to play all three.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Orvin posted:

Just picked up the Stalker games on the steam sale. Is there a particular game I should play over the others? I am not sure I am going to have time to play all three.
Call of Pripyat is probably the best of the bunch, then Shadow of Chernobyl, then Clear Sky. If there's one you can confidently skip, then it's Clear Sky - no one really liked that one all that much. The games all have stand-alone plots in a shared setting, so order of play doesn't matter much.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
If you are gonna do them all play in release order. The QoL improvements in each game make Shadow very hard to go back to after Call.

I wrote out a big page of tips for every game awhile ago. I don't know if they all made it on the wiki.

Shadow of Chernobyl: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post485350975

Clear Sky: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post485352040

Call of Pripyat:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post485387219

Zushio fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 21, 2018

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Nick Buntline posted:

It's worth noting that while rank is only decided by turns taken, it's not the only way you're measured. Exp/money received, as well as the reward weapons you get after certain maps, is based on things like killing all enemy leaders/tanks, no deaths, no KOs (reduced to 0 HP), etc. Turn limits for top rank are also much more lenient than previous games to account for this. So while you still can scout rush, you're generally better off focusing on efficiency than speed.
The thing is that these rewards are small percentages of the main reward for clearing a mission, which is based purely on turn speed.

Then again you can grind skirmishes and maps whenever you want, so don't feel too stressed about it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Orvin posted:

Start with the first, move on to the others depending on how much you like it.

Shadows doesn't really hand-hold you or introduce the way the game works well at all. But it's also the only one that has a proper large-scale plot with fairly unpredictable twists, takes you across the greatest variety of zone levels, and manages some genuinely scary underground labs.

Clear Sky has squad combat and plenty of AI on AI action - something I generally like, but is incredibly buggy here. There's finally a proper intro and some explanations of how everything works, and the levels are the most detailed and well designed, even when recycling levels from the original. On the other hand, the plot revolves around the buggy faction combat, and there are a lot of insta-death grenades thrown your way.

Call has the most quality of life improvements, and is the least likely to break down at random. But on the other hand, it's highly sterile, both in terms of level design and as far as plot is concerned.

Since you say you've picked up all three, I'd recommend a compromise - use the mod that imports previous game content into Call of Pripyat, and play through the best plot with the best mechanics.

Some modified tips from my Clear Sky guide:

Artifacts with the red "radiation -" effect will irradiate you. Since you don't have any radiation resistance / artifacts with the green "radiation +" effect when you start, artifacts are just a really good way to make money, since equipping one will kill you.

Crouching behind cover with a decent long-range gun that's (hopefully) slightly longer ranged than the guns the enemy are using is a decent strategy for most of the game (though not at the start, when you want to flank and basically press your lovely pistol / shotgun into the enemy back to make sure your shots hit)

In general, you want to carry 1 shotgun for mutants, 1 assault gun for humans (AK->TRS/IL->Vintar->FN/Thunder) and 1 pistol for emergencies (You barely use the pistol after the start, so don't get yourself weighed down with pistol ammo)

I'd link to an example of Shamus Young being a raging retard, but it's a bit spoiler heavy. Long story short - the game is fairly open ended, and you should check around and see if there's a way around any wall, before trying to bash it down via repetitive quicksaves.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Since you say you've picked up all three, I'd recommend a compromise - use the mod that imports previous game content into Call of Pripyat, and play through the best plot with the best mechanics.
I've used that one myself, it's very easy to install. If you just want to go through and see everything, this is a solid recommendation.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Xander77 posted:

In general, you want to carry 1 shotgun for mutants, 1 assault gun for humans (AK->TRS/IL->Vintar->FN/Thunder) and 1 pistol for emergencies (You barely use the pistol after the start, so don't get yourself weighed down with pistol ammo)

You shouldn't neglect having a decent pistol as it's what you can use while you're artifact hunting. A single box or two of ammo will usually suffice though (~100 rounds at max)

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

So I picked up Shadow of Mordor GOTY on PS4 yesterday so I can experience all the PC version stuff without having to rely on steam library share. Is there a dlc I should do first or should I just jump right into the game. I messed around with Nemesis Forge a bit last night but that seemed to give me abilities I don't remember from the couple hours I put into it via Steam Library Share.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

So I picked up Shadow of Mordor GOTY on PS4 yesterday so I can experience all the PC version stuff without having to rely on steam library share. Is there a dlc I should do first or should I just jump right into the game.
Start with the base game. The DLC is basically all stand-alone and happens separately from the rest of the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

juliuspringle posted:

So I picked up Shadow of Mordor GOTY on PS4 yesterday so I can experience all the PC version stuff without having to rely on steam library share. Is there a dlc I should do first or should I just jump right into the game. I messed around with Nemesis Forge a bit last night but that seemed to give me abilities I don't remember from the couple hours I put into it via Steam Library Share.
FWIW, the Beast Hunt or whatever DLC is kinda poo poo and can be skipped safely and the Bright Lord, while good, is definitely meant to be played after finishing the main campaign.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

FWIW, the Beast Hunt or whatever DLC is kinda poo poo and can be skipped safely and the Bright Lord, while good, is definitely meant to be played after finishing the main campaign.

So nothing unlocks stuff in the main game? That was my main concern.

On a different note, does anyone know when I can dick around in Lego Avengers? I'm starting to think it's gonna make me play through the entire storyline before I can just mess around like in previous Lego games.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

juliuspringle posted:

On a different note, does anyone know when I can dick around in Lego Avengers? I'm starting to think it's gonna make me play through the entire storyline before I can just mess around like in previous Lego games.

Most recent Lego games have basically wanted you to bust through the story then come back for all the poo poo.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

juliuspringle posted:

I think they each unlock a character skin, but that's it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

anilEhilated posted:

I have the exact opposite opinion: Beast Hunt is a lot of fun if you want more neat orc captain types to deal with and the animal gimmicks are mostly well handled. The end fight is :discourse:

Meanwhile Bright Lord locks you into a specific skill set, which feels like a step backwards, and if that skillset doesn't suit your playstyle it turns into a bit of a slog. I don't recall all the ins and outs of it but I don't remember the core concept (indirect combat, amassing your own personal army of orcs) being handled notably well.

So basically what I'm saying is definitely check out both and see if they click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One problem with the Shadow of Mordor DLCs is that they give you a bunch of OP weapons right from the start which unbalance an already very easy game into mindlessness, so I'd recommend avoiding them if you get the GOTY edition.