Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
sup, trig?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
not much

just haven't been foruming much lately. been traveling way too much. all great places and for great reasons, but i'm exhausted. poo poo starts right back up next month, but the wife is coming to frankfurt for a couple of weeks starting monday morning and we're going to lie around and not do poo poo and it's gonna be great

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
However, since Armored Troopers have extremely thin armor, and use a highly combustible liquid in their artificial muscle, their pilots have a very low chance of survival, and are commonly referred to instead as "Bottoms", the lowest of the low

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

and to all a good year

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
new wikipedia game: guess the article from a paragraph with key phrases blanked out :angel:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
e: the forums are acting fucky today

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"today"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

new wikipedia game: guess the article from a paragraph with key phrases blanked out :angel:

im not sure but i think its about your posts and how bad they are???

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This is a list of U.S. state dinosaurs in the United States, including the District of Columbia. A large number of states also have dinosaurs as state fossils, but this list only includes those that have been officially designated as "state dinosaurs". All U.S. states also have a state bird, the direct evolutionary descendants of dinosaurs.[1]

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

This is a list of U.S. state dinosaurs in the United States, including the District of Columbia. A large number of states also have dinosaurs as state fossils, but this list only includes those that have been officially designated as "state dinosaurs". All U.S. states also have a state bird, the direct evolutionary descendants of dinosaurs.[1]
i went "huuuugh" aloud reading this

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

A continuous deformation (a type of homeomorphism) of a mug into a doughnut (torus) and a cow into a sphere

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

A continuous deformation (a type of homeomorphism) of a mug into a doughnut (torus) and a cow into a sphere

accurate depiction of me over the holidays

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A woman runs out of house to the aid of Busta, asking him, as Busta narrates, "Did you bump your head?" Busta says, "Yeah..." The woman then asks, "So that means you gon' switch it on 'em?" To this, Busta replies, "Yeah...Flip Mode...Flip Mode is the greatest!"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Suddenly, the child turns into a hideous, little blue monster with big yellow eyes and sharp teeth, while Busta says the n word several times in rapid succession.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Because parkour philosophy is about learning to control oneself in interaction with the environment, many parkour experts tend to view serious physical injury as a deviation from true parkour.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The Law & Order: Criminal Intent episode "Contract" is an homage to the film, with Mo Rocca playing a gossip columnist who is clearly based on J.J. (in both appearance and attitude) and other characters from the episode quoting the film's lines many times.

lol im gonna have to track that down

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

Hildebrand Lock and Dam is a navigational lock and gated dam on the Monongahela River at Hilderbrand, West Virginia. (Hildebrand is a misspelling of Hilderbrand.)

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

See the Japanese language Wikipedia for information about spelling variations of Osama bin Laden.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

FMguru posted:

A woman runs out of house to the aid of Busta, asking him, as Busta narrates, "Did you bump your head?" Busta says, "Yeah..." The woman then asks, "So that means you gon' switch it on 'em?" To this, Busta replies, "Yeah...Flip Mode...Flip Mode is the greatest!"
:buddy:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

valuable wikipedia content right there

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In a survey of more than 15,000 residents in internal medicine, approximately 19% of residents with more than $200,000 in debt designated their quality of life as bad, compared with approximately 12% of those with no debt.[55]

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sagebrush posted:

In a survey of more than 15,000 residents in internal medicine, approximately 19% of residents with more than $200,000 in debt designated their quality of life as bad, compared with approximately 12% of those with no debt.[55]

takeaway: vast majority of medical residents are in deep denial

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when i was in high school i remember dr. dad throwing a doctor magazine down in disgust and telling me to read this!!, pointing at a study abstract

i took a look and it was a longitudinal survey of physicians' self-reported levels of happiness, plotted against work hours and compensation

conclusion: doctors who make more money while working fewer hours are happier

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sagebrush posted:

when i was in high school i remember dr. dad throwing a doctor magazine down in disgust and telling me to read this!!, pointing at a study abstract

i took a look and it was a longitudinal survey of physicians' self-reported levels of happiness, plotted against work hours and compensation

conclusion: doctors who make more money while working fewer hours are happier

but was he disgusted by what passes for publishable research, or was he cantankerizing that doctors these days are too greedy and lazy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

both, i'd say. obviously the research is garbage but the sheer indifference of the doctors in his hospital department to patient care eventually drove him to start his own practice

one anecdote i always remember:

the hospital he worked for had been started by a catholic convent back in 18xx and, though it was a modern hospital in every way that mattered, it was still nominally run by them. as such, all major meetings would have one of the nuns in attendance as a representative of the church. usually she would just sit and listen and let the doctors do their thing.

so at his department's meetings, once a month, all the doctors would come in and bitch about how they had to work too many hours, weren't paid enough, had too many patients and not enough free time, blah blah. the chair would complain that the interns were lazy and the patients were terrible and the other doctors would gripe about their offices being too small and nothing else would happen.

he said that at the end of each of these meetings, the chair would ask "alright, we're almost out of time, any questions or other business?"

and the nun would raise her hand every time, and say -- completely earnestly and nonjudgmentally -- "I would like to know how what we have discussed today can help us improve patient care."

and the chair would look around, past the nun, never making eye contact, and say "alright, if there are no questions, we're done, meeting adjourned."

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
on the one hand gently caress that guy, on the other catholic church :shrug:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
yea i'd feel more sympathy for the nun if catholic-affiliated hospitals weren't known for refusing to quickly resolve a 2nd trimester miscarriage bc god prefers that a clearly unviable fetus die slowly and plop out of a distraught mother over several painful days. sometimes god likes to leave the would-be mom with a nice bleed or life-threatening infection in the process

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
how many nuns have helped cover the pedophile ring in the catholic church

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Improbable Lobster posted:

how many nuns have helped cover the pedophile ring in the catholic church

i just assumed they kept that stuff boys-only

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The verbal and physical abuse my mother received in the nun-run school she went to gave her life-long psychological problems. The catholic church and nuns in particular are no friends of mine.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i just assumed they kept that stuff boys-only

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/christinekenneally/orphanage-death-catholic-abuse-nuns-st-josephs

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

When served, the person whose bowl contains the penny or dime receives the best luck for the New Year, unless of course, the recipient swallows the coin, which would be a rather unlucky way to start off the year.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
C.J. had access to an Apple III computer named "Baby" that contained a remarkable database on virtually all living and deceased persons, allowing her to provide all necessary information.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

lol i've met the latter

it was honestly more surprising that extremely wealthy people are capable of producing something other than failsons

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
dermatologist and med-spa physicians are parasites, but achieve this through focus and effort

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Russell Crowe's jockstrap is a leather jockstrap. It was part of a costume worn by actor Russell Crowe in the 2005 film Cinderella Man. In 2018, the jockstrap was auctioned off and was bought by comedian John Oliver who in turn donated it to the last operating Blockbuster Video store in Alaska.

Original use and subsequent ownership

In Cinderella Man, Australian actor Russell Crowe played American boxer James J. Braddock, who was the world heavyweight champion from 1935 to 1937. In the film, Crowe wears the jockstrap in the scene in which Braddock wins the championship.[1]

After the film was produced, Crowe took possession of various props from the film, including the jockstrap, and incorporated them into his collection of memorabilia.[1]

Sale and Blockbuster Video donation

In April 2018, Crowe auctioned off over 200 props he owned that were used by him in his various films in a "divorce auction" to celebrate his split from Danielle Spencer.[1][2] He included the jockstrap as part of the auction as "a piece of whimsy and a bit of a gag".[1] After the announcement of the auction, Bloomberg listed the jockstrap as one of the most bizarre items for sale.[3] The jockstrap sold for $7,000 ($8,450 with Buyer's Premium), more than ten times the estimated price of $500 to $600,[2] which also led to a flurry of coverage on this high sales price.[4][5][6] Crowe later admitted that he was surprised that it turned out to be one of the most popular items of the sale.[1]

The jockstrap and other items were bought by the HBO television show Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, which Oliver revealed on his April 15, 2018 show.[4] As a thank-you, Crowe donated the money Last Week Tonight paid to the Australia Zoo which used it to fund the "John Oliver Koala Chlamydia Ward".[7] Oliver jokingly declared he had achieved everything imaginable and could now end his show.[8][9]

Subsequently, the memorabilia, including the jockstrap, were donated to the last operating Alaskan Blockbuster Video store in Anchorage.[4][10] The jockstrap remained there in a glass case along with other items from the Crowe auction and became a local attraction.[10] However, the items failed to prevent the store from closing in July 2018.[11] Afterwards, the owners of the Alaska store sent all their memorabilia to the last remaining Blockbuster Video store in the United States, located in Bend, Oregon.[12] However, Crowe's jockstrap was missing from the items sent to this store, with Oliver claiming in September 2018 that he did not know its location.[12]

Reappearance

In November during the final episode of the 2018 season of Last Week Tonight, Oliver revealed that the show had reacquired the jockstrap and used it in a comedy skit.[13] The skit is a spoof of The Fast and the Furious starring Armie Hammer and five wax US presidents which Oliver's show had previously acquired from a wax museum sale.[14] In the end of the skit, Crowe appears as a mob boss holding the jockstrap he had ordered stolen.[15] As of the airing of the final Oliver episode, it remained unclear who owned or possessed the jockstrap.[13]

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

English: This is an iconic picture of the fuel lava (FCM, Corium) flowing out of a Parosbrosnoy valve from within the Chernobyl plant. The Parosbrosnoy valve (Клапан аварийного паросброса) is the pipe node to dump extremely high pressure steam out of the hot reactor core ("Parosbrosnoy" in Russian means "steam relief").

1. No free alternative exists. It remains impossible to manually rephotograph the scene without placing a person in mortal danger. Given an uneconomically large budget, it would in principle be possible to build a robot that could enter the plant and retake the photo.

2. The use of the picture here is unlikely to damage the copyright holder's ability to make any money out of the picture.

3. A small amount of the media is being used.

4. The photo has been shown on TV in the UK (back in about 1991)

5. The material is encyclopedic

6. The material will be used on more than one page

7. The material is not decorative

8. The material is to be only used in an article.

9. The picture of the lava flow explains what happens to nuclear fuel under very bad accident conditions. Rather than using the 'Elephant's Foot' I have chosen to use the picture of the lava coming out of a pipe as it shows that that it did slow. The understanding of the lava is critical to understanding the likely release of much of the activity still within the plant which will occur potentially in the future.

10. The picture is used on the Chernobyl page to show what happened in the basement under the reactor and also it is used on the page devoted to how nuclear fuel behaves during an accident to show what can occur if a reactor core melts and then escapes out of the pressure vessel. So I say that it should stay rather than being removed.

i kinda enjoy the image of an rms-type wikipediphile megagoon breaking into the chernobyl containment structure with the selfless goal of taking a truly free photo of the radioactive debris inside

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 3, 2019

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The tweet describes an argument or similar situation in which one participant has clearly been "owned" but refuses to acknowledge it or to take a break, instead doubling down and insisting beyond any credibility that they have not been owned.[52]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FMguru posted:

The tweet describes an argument or similar situation in which one participant has clearly been "owned" but refuses to acknowledge it or to take a break, instead doubling down and insisting beyond any credibility that they have not been owned.[52]