Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Played Bärenpark for the first time with family yesterday and it was an instant hit. People love laying tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

al-azad posted:

We played a five player game in about 2 hours plus 30 minutes for teaching. We did only play 10 rounds (I believe Rex does 8) which the Dune grognard who taught said is the universally accepted house rule. It felt like the perfect length of time as it was enough to go through the entire treachery deck. I don't know what Rex could streamline beyond the turns because the game felt pretty straightforward? Like the longest downtime was waiting for the Atreides player to take notes.

The variant rules are something I'm interested in looking into. One player said he played with a group that did 2 spice blows at a time and he commented that our game was a lot faster and more strategic because people focused more on decisive strikes, probing with guerilla attacks here and there to pitch garbage cards. Often I find myself disliking FFG's remakes of old games like Merchant of Venus because they'll either introduce their own new rules or establish some bland patches to make the game more palatable to a modern audience. If Rex works, great, but tinkering with an old game is fun in itself IMO.

Well I mean sure, I can’t compare a game with rules as written to one with house rules, because I imagine you can probably make any game better (or worse) if you modify it (like arbitrarily ending it earlier). I would say that Rex (and probably Dune) needs a few plays to shine so people can understand the rhythm and opportunities, particularly for factions like the Xxcha/Bene Gesserit. So I think because Rex is both more accessible and shorter it’s the better version, as it’s more likely to get played. Our Dune game took about six hours which was no doubt on the high end, but it also has a few more exceptions and rules that took time to explain. I do wish Rex retained the Dune theme though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skimming the Rex rules it doesn’t seem to change much. Dune is already pretty straightforward with most of the downtime coming from table talk. It uses the “advanced game” double spice but both locations are on one card instead of drawing two. The biggest streamlined change is in turn order which I’m very iffy about just reading it. Dune determines turn order by the position of the storm but Rex you pass turn order to your left. This is a radical change because there’s a card that moves the storm and I used it to great effect by collecting something like 10 spice from someone who absolutely needed to go first and I threatened to change his turn order to last. As a byproduct the Fremen have a lot of power in knowing how turn order can change.

I’m ambivalent about Rex allowing you to revive leaders before they’re all dead but I understand that’s a concession given the fewer rounds.

This does mean that Rex’s improvements can be ported back into Dune effortlessly. I do like that everyone receives 2 dollars at the end of a round regardless as having 1 spice in Dune basically means you’ll be poor forever. It’s cheaper to revive in Rex and I like that bidding first passes so everyone gets a shot at bidding first which is good because in Dune if you know the player to your right is broke you can always bid their exact amount to shut them out.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Out of curiousity, how much did FFGs remake of Merchant of Venus change? I still have the old Avalon Hill version sitting around.

e: I played Rex a few times and it was pretty fun, though I feel the mechanics fit the theme of Dune far far better than the Twilight Imperium races thing (if that kind of thing matters to you).

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 23, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Out of curiousity, how much did FFGs remake of Merchant of Venus change? I still have the old Avalon Hill version sitting around.

e: I played Rex a few times and it was pretty fun, though I feel the mechanics fit the theme of Dune far far better than the Twilight Imperium races thing (if that kind of thing matters to you).

The effect of the changes to the new edition reduced the randomness of the game, which we liked and when we play MoV we play with the new rules. We played the old MoV so many times we had to order new chits four times.

Although I'm thinking that MoV may finally get supplanted by Wasteland Express Delivery Service. It does what MoV did but with better focus and a little more interaction.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Good to know, thanks. I don't think I've actually played it since the 90s. I probably should have sold it when I had the chance, oh well. I'll have to look into Wasteland Delivery Service.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I always play the old version, but sometimes on the FFG Classic instead which makes a couple of minor changes. I think they're for the worse (that connection on the left side of the board that they took from a fan remake is too loose, and factory goods really should have new names to not be affected by demand tokens). Not bad enough to avoid, I'll play on whichever set is around and sometimes we houserule the factory thing.

The AH version is also easier to manage the chits with, you have very handy dual-colours for demands/passengers and they are easier to draw from a bag/cup than the giant FFG ones.

On the plus side, when you play on the new version you don't have to tell people that lasers, nova balls, and forts don't exist, and nobody will be tempted to suggest a 6p game (5p is a bit of a loss, but not much of one).

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Just got gifted “betrayal: legacy” to play with the same people we’ve played pandemic legacy 1 and 2 with. Feeling excited. Any house rules or things I should consider? We’ve never played normal betrayal

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Talas posted:

Do you guys know any easygoing two-player games for a very stressed couple? I've tried Patchwork and Jaipur and while it's funny to watch two successful lawyers argue about camels, I don't want to stress them more as it usually they take things too seriously.

Comedy answer: Fog of Love. Although, in all honesty, it would be absolutely bonkers to be a fly on the wall while two lawyers psychopaths played that game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Talas posted:

Do you guys know any easygoing two-player games for a very stressed couple? I've tried Patchwork and Jaipur and while it's funny to watch two successful lawyers argue about camels, I don't want to stress them more as it usually they take things too seriously.

Railroad Ink. It’s a competitive roll and write but there is zero player interaction, you both just play your own game and try for the highest score.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Talas posted:

... and then we held hands might be an option. I gave it to two friends of mine as a wedding gift and they enjoyed it very much.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

teacup posted:

Just got gifted “betrayal: legacy” to play with the same people we’ve played pandemic legacy 1 and 2 with. Feeling excited. Any house rules or things I should consider? We’ve never played normal betrayal

Before you start, find the "player expectation" slider, and put it down about 2 notches from whatever the default is. Then, after the first mission, make sure to put it down one or two more.

That should make the whole experience a lot better.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Got in my first play of 18CZ. It's a strange bird with no bank, a set round count (as in the game ends after a number of SR/ORs), and three different types of companies (small/medium/large). It seems to me that the primary tension is when/if to do a merger of your companies based on an impending rust although with that many companies (15!) tokening can get brutal too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

T-Bone posted:

Got in my first play of 18CZ. It's a strange bird with no bank, a set round count (as in the game ends after a number of SR/ORs), and three different types of companies (small/medium/large). It seems to me that the primary tension is when/if to do a merger of your companies based on an impending rust although with that many companies (15!) tokening can get brutal too.

As a huge fan of Indonesia it’s also one of my favorites. The tight limit on special track availability is a nice point of contention too.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I bought Talisman on steam after watching someone stream it. All the expansions are on sale too, which are the best ones to go for? Streamer had something that added a bunch of different tiles within cities that looked good and a lot of... dick random event stuff that also looked "fun" to me.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

DisDisDis posted:

I bought Talisman on steam after watching someone stream it. All the expansions are on sale too, which are the best ones to go for? Streamer had something that added a bunch of different tiles within cities that looked good and a lot of... dick random event stuff that also looked "fun" to me.

Honestly, most of this thread loathes Talisman (myself included), and would recommend you refund it.

It is a long, dull, grinding exercise in repeatedly rolling a die, making a blind choice, and watching all sense of agency or meaning get slapped out of your hands. And it often takes 3-4 hours for the game to drag its bleeding corpse across the finish line to die. There are so, so many better digital board games.

But it you still have a burning desire to eat gravel, then you should probably at least exhaust the base game first before pouring money down a hole you might learn to hate.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

Gutter Owl isn't wrong. But if you are looking for a little extra ... any of the "corner" expansions (City, Woodland, Dungeon, Highlands) adds a fair bit to the board, and Reaper, Frostsomething or Blood Moon adds a fair bit to the deck. I suspect that your description is City and Blood Moon, but it could be something else.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
And for the record, this isn't to dismiss the seeming appeal of Talisman, which is the RNG-driven, Dwarf Fortessian pleasure of watching your hopes and dreams collapse under the weight of "fun."

The problem is, Talisman doesn't actually provide that with any amount of consistency. What it provides is endless hours of "rolled a 2, moved left, nothing interesting happened. Rolled a 3, moved right, nothing interesting happened." Honestly, I would rather eat Talisman than play it, because at least the acute bowel rupture will kill you faster than the loving Crown of Command.

If you want a twitch-worthy exercise in the futility of mankind's achievements, please check out Galaxy Trucker instead. It's a game about stitching a half-functional spaceship together out of odd segments of sewer pipe, then praying to a deity who hates you that the next card isn't another swarm of precision-aimed asteroids that'll reduce your refurbished Enterprise into a glorified fridge with two dudes and a hunk of plutonium in it drifting through the void. It also has a robust single-player campaign mode, an online mode with weekly challenges, AND you can play it on your phone while taking a poo poo.

Or if you're committed to both Steam and low fantasy, Blood Bowl II is on winter sale. It's a classic, if not universally loved, but I'll stump for it. It's a game of literal fantasy football (of the american handegg variety), where you send a handpicked, lovingly-leveled team of orcs or elves or mutated slaughtering ratpeople onto the gridiron to rip each other into their constituent atoms and maybe occasionally touch a ball for a point. Thrill as your star level 5 quarterback is permakilled by a lucky block from a snotling while three of orckind's finest scholars and scientists sit in the backfield and try to deduce that the weird leather lemon goes in your hand and not up your nostrils. Or you can decide you hate both everyone and yourself and play the goblin team. You'll never win a game, but you *will* manage to sneak a chainsaw onto the pitch in your socks, and hell maybe your bomb-lobber might have even forgotten to butter his hands this morning.

And if you'll settle for nothing but the finest in fantasy adventure crawls, then...well, I guess you can sit on your hands with the rest of us and wait for Gloomhaven Digital to release next year. But I hear there's a decent Tabletop Sim mod for it, and One Deck Dungeon might be a decent methadone. Idk, I'm not the dungeon crawl girl, and on a long enough timeline I'll just end up recommending Mage Knight again.

Hope that helps?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gutter Owl posted:

And if you'll settle for nothing but the finest in fantasy adventure crawls, then...well, I guess you can sit on your hands with the rest of us and wait for Gloomhaven Digital to release next year. But I hear there's a decent Tabletop Sim mod for it, and One Deck Dungeon might be a decent methadone. Idk, I'm not the dungeon crawl girl, and on a long enough timeline I'll just end up recommending Mage Knight again.

Hope that helps?

Slay the Spire is probably the best boardgame-but-also-a-dungeon-crawl single player experience right now.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Gutter Owl posted:

And for the record, this isn't to dismiss the seeming appeal of Talisman, which is the RNG-driven, Dwarf Fortessian pleasure of watching your hopes and dreams collapse under the weight of "fun."

ok yeah that absolutely nails what looked fun about it to me. definitely aware of the reputation going in but well, it was 3 bucks. galaxy trucker sounds really cool, prefer to play games on my laptop but worst comes to worst i could try to figure out an android emulator. definitely looking for computer/ai stuff cuz I have no one to play with. I'll watch out for gloomhaven too. Bloodbowl looks like a tactics game, which is a bit more "thinky" than I'm looking for but maybe I'm wrong about how it plays out in practice. Definitely helpful, thanks. (kudos on the bvb av)

rchandra posted:

Gutter Owl isn't wrong. But if you are looking for a little extra ... any of the "corner" expansions (City, Woodland, Dungeon, Highlands) adds a fair bit to the board, and Reaper, Frostsomething or Blood Moon adds a fair bit to the deck. I suspect that your description is City and Blood Moon, but it could be something else.

cool, yeah I think they had all the expansions on but I wasn't sure what was what out of the like, 100+ entry list on steam. Seems like corner expansions are what I'm looking for.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Seconding slay the spire, the Devs get what's good about deck builders.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
Any recommendations for 6 player games for a new years eve party? We'll have 3 people that are pretty significant board gamers and enjoy complexity but the other three are more general folks who like a game here and there.

We have Betrayal at House on the Hill and Ticket to Ride which I think fit the bill but we're playing Betrayal on new years day with a different group so I'm taking that one out of the running.

I don't mind picking up something new.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Numinous posted:

Any recommendations for 6 player games for a new years eve party? We'll have 3 people that are pretty significant board gamers and enjoy complexity but the other three are more general folks who like a game here and there.

We have Betrayal at House on the Hill and Ticket to Ride which I think fit the bill but we're playing Betrayal on new years day with a different group so I'm taking that one out of the running.

TTR base game doesn't play 6, it only goes up to 5. There's some expansion that plays 6 in teams.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
TtR: Asia plays 6 in teams, and the Old West plays 6 as individuals.

Doing a homebrew version of Fake Artist is one other option I'd suggest.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Numinous posted:

Mysterium is my go-to for mixed gamer/nongamer parties.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Numinous posted:

RoboRally
Decrypto
Codenames
Skull (easy to proxy; give each player 3 identical "rose" cards and 1 skull card)
"Diplomat" (made up by some goon in the game design thread, I'll add the rules at the bottom of this post, also need 4 cards per player, distributed 1+2+1)
Steampunk Rally
7 Wonders
Abandon Planet

Diplomat for 3-6 players
A group psychology game similar to rock paper scissors. During a round, Players play cards simultaneously face-down, then flip them face-up. Players resolve their card based on what the group has played. Play continues until one player wins the game or players tie. Each card works differently:

Diplomat - Mostly useless. Comes back to your hand at the end of the round. If all players play a diplomat two rounds in a row, the game is tied.
Assassin - The way to win. If you play assassin and every other card is a diplomat, you win! If any other card is an assassin or guard, the assassin is discarded.
Guard - Stops assassins. If there are assassins in play, guard comes back to your hand. Otherwise if you played him and there are no assassins, he is discarded.

Players start with 2 assassins, 1 guard, and 1 diplomat.

Optional scoring: first to 6( 4 for 5+ players) wins. Winning with the assassin scores you 2 points. During ties, players with the least points score 1 point.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

TtR: Asia plays 6 in teams, and the Old West plays 6 as individuals.

Doing a homebrew version of Fake Artist is one other option I'd suggest.

Fake artist * 1000. My mother just cried laughing playing that game over Christmas lunch and every had fun.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

city of horror and libertalia are the best 6 player games.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Fake artist * 1000. My mother just cried laughing playing that game over Christmas lunch and every had fun.

I looked up the rules online and it seems you can just proxy it with some paper and markers? I'll give it a try, sounds really fun.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Azran posted:

I looked up the rules online and it seems you can just proxy it with some paper and markers? I'll give it a try, sounds really fun.

Yeah you can really easily

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Numinous posted:

Sushi go party or Monikers are my picks. Monikers is very non-gamey and can be played even if people have had a large number of celebratory beverages.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Please don't play roborally 6 player. Please.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Ravendas posted:

TTR base game doesn't play 6, it only goes up to 5. There's some expansion that plays 6 in teams.

Also: Avalon. Wits and Wagers. One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Deadwood 1876.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Please don't play roborally 6 player. Please.
Seconding. People often recommend it anyway for well-meaning reasons (good designer, neat idea in theory), but it is RoboReally Awful, don't do it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Trouble is Talisman but better.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Oh God. Got Gloomhaven for Christmas. What do I do now? I feel like the dog that caught the car.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Oh God. Got Gloomhaven for Christmas. What do I do now? I feel like the dog that caught the car.

I'm in the boat. Any easily missed rules/QOL tips I should know about before we dive in?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Work out how you are going to organise Gloomhaven (planos, inserts, folders etc). It will save you hours in the long run. Using an app like Gloomhaven Helper will also save you a lot of time and effort.

Most of the rules complexity is in the enemy AI. The rule of thumb is that enemies attack the closest target, and there are multiple pages defining "closest" and explaining what happens when they can't reach their target or when they can reach multiple targets.

The biggest missed rule is being able to lose a card to negate damage, and the biggest mistakes are calculating the difficulty incorrectly (remember to have the average) and using the wrong attack modifier cards (not the ones in the classes box).

There is an active Gloomhaven thread too.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I got the Broken Token Gloomhaven Organizer for Christmas and just finished assembling it. Looks and feels great and seems like it will help so much with setup and speeding up play.

The assembly on the other hand was not quick. I’ve put together a lot of organizers before and expected I would need an hour or two for this one. I even considered painting or staining it depending on how long it took. I way underestimated the complexity as time commitment.

Between assembling it and putting everything into the trays and tuckboxes, I spent more than 5 hours. There are so many intricate trays to assemble and almost every part really needed wood glue. I had so many regrets about starting it today about an hour in but by that time it was all over the table.

Highly recommend but holy poo poo the assembly time.

Edit:

My wife also got me Four Souls and Burger Tokens for keyforge. Tokens were the Exact opposite experience from the Gloomhaven organizer. Super simple assembly. Feels great too.

I’ll probably get Four Souls to the table this week. I was really happy with the production quality on the cards and the package. Unlike a lot of card games the box isn’t needless large. I love the theme but am skeptical whether it will actually be fun. Might be a good intro game to card/board games for some friends.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lawlicaust posted:

I got the Broken Token Gloomhaven Organizer for Christmas and just finished assembling it. Looks and feels great and seems like it will help so much with setup and speeding up play.

The assembly on the other hand was not quick. I’ve put together a lot of organizers before and expected I would need an hour or two for this one. I even considered painting or staining it depending on how long it took. I way underestimated the complexity as time commitment.

Between assembling it and putting everything into the trays and tuckboxes, I spent more than 5 hours. There are so many intricate trays to assemble and almost every part really needed wood glue. I had so many regrets about starting it today about an hour in but by that time it was all over the table.

Highly recommend but holy poo poo the assembly time.

Look at it this way: that is about 1% the time you will spend playing gloomhaven