Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Spider-Man Noir was bitten by a vessel of an ancient spider-god that wasn't radioactive so why is he there?

Also Japanese Spider-Girl was never bitten by a spider at all

checkmate libs

Who, exactly, do you think you’re getting one over on, here?

Congratulations, you’re a weird, pedantic dingus.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Young Freud posted:

Spider-Ham was a spider bitten by a radioactive May Porker.

Spider-Ham overall seems pretty chill about the fact he is in his own version of Planet of the Apes

Phylodox posted:

Legit whats your problem dude

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Very cool to see the thread has successfully transitioned into being genuinely mad that people are actually talking about the movie instead of the lovely ancillary promotional material.

Jake Johnson singing Jingle Bells is my jam! I am definitely more normal than you.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Pirate Jet posted:

Very cool to see the thread has successfully transitioned into being genuinely mad that people are actually talking about the movie instead of the lovely ancillary promotional material.

Its legit kind of unnerving that "hey, lets think about the weirder unspoken implications of the film" or "hey, look at how this movie is kind of subtly speaking to its own creation by Sony" have been met by genuine anger from a dude with a krogan av

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Or maybe people are finally getting tired of literally every single CD thread devolving into "hmmm yes but you see why hmmm why is the film called into the spider verse filled with characters based on spiders? Perhaps this speaks to the nature of consumerism in our culture and furthermore ~faaaaaaaart~"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Or maybe people are finally getting tired of literally every single CD thread devolving into "hmmm yes but you see why hmmm why is the film called into the spider verse filled with characters based on spiders? Perhaps this speaks to the nature of consumerism in our culture and furthermore ~faaaaaaaart~"

Like, what else is there to talk about if not being analytical about the film

"i liked movie"

"I also liked movie"

"I liked this part"

"I, also, liked this part"

truly an engaging and worthwhile discussion to build a subforum around

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Phylodox posted:

You have made 8 posts in this thread and not a single one is actually about the movie, they're all you tediously making GBS threads your pants about other posters that have actually contributed something to the thread. Kindly consider jamming your head in the nearest particle accelerator and bringing back a version of Phylodox that isn't a humorless dullard.

OldTennisCourt posted:

You have made 6 posts in this thread and also not a single one is you actually discussing the movie. People like you are why Blockbuster Video is a wasteland.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 26, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ya’ll are all as terrible as this movie is great.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Or maybe.....just maybe its possible to have interesting conversations that dont fall into the most boring reductive poo poo in the universe. What interesting points were you bringing up in your gripping discussion on why spiderman was in a movie about spiderman?

There's a huge gulf between I LIKE PRETTY MOVIE YAY and the smelling your own farts discussions that thisnsubforum is rancid with.

There are tons of interesting threads on this sub forum but it seems like every single thread about a new popular movie gets inundated with the lamest psuedo-intellectual babbel that never even says anything.

EDIT: this was in response to mel.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

You have made 6 posts in this thread and also not a single one is you actually discussing the movie. People like you are why Blockbuster Video is a wasteland.

What does this even mean? People like me made netflix a viable and more easily usable option?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Or maybe.....just maybe its possible to have interesting conversations that dont fall into the most boring reductive poo poo in the universe. What interesting points were you bringing up in your gripping discussion on why spiderman was in a movie about spiderman?

There's a huge gulf between I LIKE PRETTY MOVIE YAY and the smelling your own farts discussions that thisnsubforum is rancid with.

There are tons of interesting threads on this sub forum but it seems like every single thread about a new popular movie gets inundated with the lamest psuedo-intellectual babbel that never even says anything.

hey homie maybe try starting a conversation about something you want to talk about instead of appointing yourself the police of who is allowed to talk about movies

OldTennisCourt posted:

What does this even mean? People like me made netflix a viable and more easily usable option?

there is a subforum called blockbuster video for non-critical movie discussion

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

OldTennisCourt posted:

Lowtax/the admins made another forum called Blockbuster Video, with the idea that BV would be for 'i like movie/i hate movie' discussion, and CD would be the place for analyzing Boss Baby through the lens of Foucault. It er... hasn't exactly worked out.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I liked Gwen's tooth gap.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Be the change you want to see in the thread, by making interesting posts instead of complaining about other people's posting.

I can see where Mel's coming from, with Sony having to deal with the fact that any version of spiderman they put out will be compared not just to the currently ongoing spiderman movies, but to the previous Sony spidermans, and deciding to get in front of that by making a movie that declares unequivocally that there isn't just one definitive spiderman, and that trying to hold one up as an unreachable ideal is a losing proposition.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mel Mudkiper posted:

there is a subforum called blockbuster video for non-critical movie discussion

Yeah after years of people complaining about how CD sucks because it's just le pretentious nerds huffing their own farts about superhero movies the powers that be finally gave the whiners their own forum free from the tyranny of having to think about stuff and unsurprisingly it was completely stillborn because people who get mad about other people talking about movies don't actually have very much to say themselves.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Apraxin posted:

CD would be the place for analyzing Boss Baby through the lens of Foucault.

Having the deuteragonist being a capitalist metaphor in a world in which emotions like love and affection are a literal limited commodity could be pretty clearly analyzed through a Foucaultian framework now that you mention it

porfiria posted:

I liked Gwen's tooth gap.

It represents the gap between the audience and the characters, the bridge between authentic experience and mere catharsis. (this was a joke)

I Before E posted:

I can see where Mel's coming from, with Sony having to deal with the fact that any version of spiderman they put out will be compared not just to the currently ongoing spiderman movies, but to the previous Sony spidermans, and deciding to get in front of that by making a movie that declares unequivocally that there isn't just one definitive spiderman, and that trying to hold one up as an unreachable ideal is a losing proposition.

I know, its a fascinating correlation between the artist and art that I think elevates it as a product

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 26, 2018

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

God forbid anyone want to talk about the actual movie instead of waste their time with a lovely joke Christmas EP.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
lovely rear end in a top hat nerds on the internet ruining things through pedantry? That's unheard of!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think its a bit reductive to limit the outside presence controlling the universe to a tangible entity.

It's literally a tangible entity, though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

lovely rear end in a top hat nerds on the internet ruining things through pedantry? That's unheard of!

the only people ruining anything are the people so frazzled by over-exposure to BotL that they treat any attempt to talk about the film critically as some kind of sinister uber-troll.

Nothing I have said as "ruined" anything, and even one dude went so far as to say my point made him appreciate the movie more. I am not the one trying to turn "talking about a movie" into a personal vendetta.

Who What Now posted:

It's literally a tangible entity, though.

God comics are great sometimes

Also, now that it has been revealed there really are lovecraftian spider-gods I think BotL should be unprob'd

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I can understand being sick of BotL but literally everybody in this thread who wants to discuss the actual movie is just getting hit with the “BUT DID YOU LISTEN TO THE CHRISTMAS ALBUM!?!?” meme at this point.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Pirate Jet posted:

I can understand being sick of BotL but literally everybody in this thread who wants to discuss the actual movie is just getting hit with the “BUT DID YOU LISTEN TO THE CHRISTMAS ALBUM!?!?” meme at this point.

The only person consistantly obsessed with this loving album at this point is you dude. We get it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

The only person consistantly obsessed with this loving album at this point is you dude. We get it.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

hey homie maybe try starting a conversation about something you want to talk about instead of appointing yourself the police of who is allowed to talk about movies

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

I made two posts about it in the past fifteen minutes. Your comeback is trash. Talk about the movie.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
If the alternative to capitalism is Botl...

I choose the capitalism.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
it's pretty patently obvious that the aesthetics of the multiverse resemble a spider's web. not really down on the whole spider-god thing but the general presentation definitely draws a connection between the alternate dimensions, spider-man, and the creation of spider-man as a work of fiction

see also how all the spiders-people introduce themselves "one last time", in a very meta reference to the part where spider-man stories keep fuckin' retelling the origin story

plus the part where miles ends up trying to avoid retelling his origin story only to end up watching a criminal shoot his uncle and learn that with great power comes great responsibility, despite being fully meta-aware of the trope

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Fart City posted:

do you think there's a spider universe where Lamps can go more than twenty-four hours of posting without eating a probe

lol

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What fun Spider-Folk who didn't make the cut for this one would y'all like to see in a sequel? Italian Spiderman, obviously, and newspaper Spiderman for sure; Silk would be a great "serious" addition. I'd also love to see Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark show up and belt out a catastrophic number or two; he even comes with his own Spider-God, Arachne!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

God comics are great sometimes

Also, now that it has been revealed there really are lovecraftian spider-gods I think BotL should be unprob'd

This was in the 90s cartoon, too, taking the form of Madame Web rather than a arachnid horror-monster. But the idea of an otherworldly spider force being a real thinking entity has been around for decades.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mameluke posted:

What fun Spider-Folk who didn't make the cut for this one would y'all like to see in a sequel?

Spider-Punk. Also, Spider-Cop.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Also, Spider-Cop.

I'm pretty sure that's most of them

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I legit want Tobey Maguire to be in the next movie and have an extended dance sequence.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Fart City posted:

I legit want Tobey Maguire to be in the next movie and have an extended dance sequence.

We don’t talk about that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Phylodox posted:

We don’t talk about that.

All the Sam Raimi movies, including three, are way better than any of the later live-action Spider-Man films

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Who What Now posted:

All the Sam Raimi movies, including three, are way better than any of the later live-action Spider-Man films

There's been a weird sort of backlash to sam raimi movies I don't get. Especially since Sam Raimi has a clearer vision as a director than any of the later films.

I think the issue is that the later marvel movies have been very good at tricking the audience into believing they are not watching a superhero movie, while the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies are unapologetic in their superhero-ness

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Who What Now posted:

I really need to rewatch the Raimi movies, if nothing else it'll be interesting to contrast them against the later Marvel movies.

Also I'd have a good laugh if they mentioned the Clone Saga in any way in the sequel.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There's been a weird sort of backlash to sam raimi movies I don't get. Especially since Sam Raimi has a clearer vision as a director than any of the later films.

I think the issue is that the later marvel movies have been very good at tricking the audience into believing they are not watching a superhero movie, while the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies are unapologetic in their superhero-ness

Maybe I'm biased because I saw all those movies in theaters with my dad and I associate those good memories with the movie, but I think they're genuinely great movies with a lot of heart in them where the people making them had some genuine fun working on it at times. As opposed to the current movies where are undoubtedly better on a technical scale but lack the same sort of heart.

Anyway, I just came here to prove that BotL was objectively right about the Spider Totems, I'll leave y'all to talk about this movie I haven't seen yet.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mameluke posted:

What fun Spider-Folk who didn't make the cut for this one would y'all like to see in a sequel? Italian Spiderman, obviously, and newspaper Spiderman for sure; Silk would be a great "serious" addition. I'd also love to see Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark show up and belt out a catastrophic number or two; he even comes with his own Spider-God, Arachne!

2099, Spider-Punk, Anya, Spider-Ma'am, Last Stand, Cosmic, Symbiote, and 90's cartoon Spider-Man just so we can have him fight Shocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWRjsqoSWTI

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

He's new, but I'm very fond of Spiders-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah Spiders Man is the winner