Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

AndyElusive posted:

:golfclap:

That's sick.

Expect to see hundreds of people asking about and/or just ripping your idea off and copping it as their own in the new year.

http://www.corseceng.com/products/omni-stand-telescoping-rods

:ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Welp.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I tried the magnets myself, although I kinda hated how they worked in practice. The telescoping rods are nice though.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

i broke many a telescoping phone antenna in the 90s by not pushing it in at the exact perfect angle. not taking that risk again!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Should have phrased it more precisely, haven't seen it on x-wing bases yet.

And for what it's worth i'll happily provide aliexpress links and stuff if anyone wants to try their hands at it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Do you guys think there is anything in FO and Resistance that is competitive in the extended format? Rey/Poe sure isn't and Sloane lists will make Poe/Kylo's life a living hell never mind Palob and everything else.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

In extended? Quad i5s probably have some life over on the Resistance side.

Not sure about FO

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

ConfusedUs posted:

In extended? Quad i5s probably have some life over on the Resistance side.

Not sure about FO

Six Omega Squadron Aces with Crack Shot will be a pretty nasty list. Initiative 3 will let them out-maneuver anything that isn't an ace, and their numbers will let them get aces in the crosshair arc for Crack Shot to push the damage through. You have an eight-point bid to take choice of initiative. Played with a runner group and a hammer group, you could really make a mess of a lot of lists.

It's kind of a boring TIE/fo swarm, but when well played it has a lot of potential. IMO, ymmv.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Sloane isn't an auto-win against Imp aces, not sure why it would shut down Poe and Friends any worse. Will definitely be a relevant list in extended. Plus Resistance and FO have access to Primed Thrusters as a significant answer to Sloane.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

4 mining guild ties and not 1 of them is straight on its peg. 1 is actually completely flipped 180°

That extra $5 per ship sure is going to some loving amazing quality control.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
when I opened my Mining TIE, the peg connecting end on the ship itself just fell off. Like, I opened the package, and it just slid off like there was no glue at all.

I have not seen a single person get a Mining TIE that didn't have issues.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

enigmahfc posted:

when I opened my Mining TIE, the peg connecting end on the ship itself just fell off. Like, I opened the package, and it just slid off like there was no glue at all.

I have not seen a single person get a Mining TIE that didn't have issues.

My fiance's tie is fine. For now....

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

So I am thinking about getting into this, I picked up what was apparently a Core box and a Force Awakens Core box from a used bookstore back in the day and I am assuming it's 1.0 version. Inside, though, are a bunch of ships besides the one X-Wing and two TIEs I think are supposed to come in the Core. What's the easiest way to figure out what all I ended up with, the pilot names on the cards?

Then once I figure out what I have, should I be looking at getting a conversion kit for 2.0, or just dump this stuff and start fresh? I'm only out maybe $40 total so far, so I'm not especially broken up about ditching what I have so far. I can always use them in a SWRPG session or something.

Basically where the hell do I start with this pile of junk?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Jedi425 posted:

So I am thinking about getting into this, I picked up what was apparently a Core box and a Force Awakens Core box from a used bookstore back in the day and I am assuming it's 1.0 version. Inside, though, are a bunch of ships besides the one X-Wing and two TIEs I think are supposed to come in the Core. What's the easiest way to figure out what all I ended up with, the pilot names on the cards?

Then once I figure out what I have, should I be looking at getting a conversion kit for 2.0, or just dump this stuff and start fresh? I'm only out maybe $40 total so far, so I'm not especially broken up about ditching what I have so far. I can always use them in a SWRPG session or something.

If it's stuff that isn't an X-wing or TIE Fighter from the new and old movies, take a picture and we can tell you what they are. Otherwise, everything from the Core sets besides asteroids are outdated with the new core sets. Depending on which and how many other ships you have, a conversion kit could be useful but it won't have the stuff from a 2.0 Core set that you need.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jedi425 posted:

All second edition stuff comes in a black box. If you didn't get one of those, you have first edition stuff.

If you got a regular core (red letters) and a TFA core (blue letters), both are first edition. You would have these ships by default

1x X-Wing (off-white/red) (Second Edition Faction: Rebel)
2x TIE Fighter (grey) (Second Edition Faction: Empire)
1x T-70 X-Wing (off-white/blue) (Second Edition Faction: Resistance)
2x TIE/fo Fighter (black and white) (Second Edition Faction: First Order)

If you have more than those, you got free stuff, perhaps from a return? I dunno. You'd have to post a picture or something of the ships you got.

Unless you got a TON of ships, a conversion kit probably isn't worth your money for a set that small, especially since there's a separate conversion kit for each faction. And you have four factions from the core boxes alone!

It might, however, be worth buying just the conversion for the ships you own from a secondary source ebay. Lots of people are parting out conversion kits ship-by-ship.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

Unless you got a TON of ships, a conversion kit probably isn't worth your money for a set that small, especially since there's a separate conversion kit for each faction. And you have four factions from the core boxes alone!

It might, however, be worth buying just the conversion for the ships you own from a secondary source ebay. Lots of people are parting out conversion kits ship-by-ship.

See, this is exactly what I needed to know, thanks. I can ID the ships themselves, I just wasn't sure if say, multiple products offered an A-Wing, for example. I'm enough of an old Star Wars nerd to ID the ships and such.

Why are Empire and First Order separate factions? I can almost see it for the Rebels/Resistance because lore, but the Imps and the FO are the same faction. Ugh.

On digging, it looks like I ended up with an A-Wing expansion, an X-Wing expansion, and a TIE Advanced, all 1.0. I'm going to dump these (probably back at the same used bookstore) and just get a 2.0 core set to start. Thanks, all.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Jedi425 posted:

Why are Empire and First Order separate factions? I can almost see it for the Rebels/Resistance because lore, but the Imps and the FO are the same faction. Ugh.

Isn't the FO a splinter faction from the larger imperial remnant or some such? I don't think they are the same thing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
They're different factions because they're different factions. The empire was dead for 40-some years between RotJ and TFA.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Jedi425 posted:

See, this is exactly what I needed to know, thanks. I can ID the ships themselves, I just wasn't sure if say, multiple products offered an A-Wing, for example. I'm enough of an old Star Wars nerd to ID the ships and such.

On digging, it looks like I ended up with an A-Wing expansion, an X-Wing expansion, and a TIE Advanced, all 1.0. I'm going to dump these (probably back at the same used bookstore) and just get a 2.0 core set to start. Thanks, all.

The ships themselves are still fine to use in 2.0, you just need the new pilot and ship cards to run them. If you're just playing at home, you can even still use the old stuff as long as you know the new rules.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jedi425 posted:

They weren't separate factions in 1.0 but the first order is a splinter group from the imperial remnants so they are in fact not the same as the empire.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Improbable Lobster posted:

They weren't separate factions in 1.0 but the first order is a splinter group from the imperial remnants so they are in fact not the same as the empire.

Yeah see, I'm not as up on the lore post-Disney. Bastards better bring back the Wraiths or I'm gonna... probably still buy their stuff but I'll be really sad about it.

Thanks again for the help, all. The bookstore gave me back most of my cash, so in the end I'm probably better off just buying fresh 2.0 stuff.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I honestly woulden't have minded if the crew from Rogue One would have stuck around to maybe get their own little spin off series and could have been "canon" Wraith Squadron. RO wasen't super fantastic or anything but it introduced new characters and they could have done better from there afterwards.

but nope :sigh: At least they get some representation in the shuttles and upgrade cards? There's that at least.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The Shame Boy posted:

but nope :sigh: At least they get some representation in the shuttles and upgrade cards? There's that at least.

rip k2sO

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

I honestly woulden't have minded if the crew from Rogue One would have stuck around to maybe get their own little spin off series and could have been "canon" Wraith Squadron. RO wasen't super fantastic or anything but it introduced new characters and they could have done better from there afterwards.

There was talk of a Cassian Andor series looking at his earlier life I think.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

The Shame Boy posted:

I think much like Solo it would have benefited a lot from not being closely tied to the main storyline.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bistromatic posted:

I think much like Solo it would have benefited a lot from not being closely tied to the main storyline.

Solo would honestly have benefitted from NOT starring Han. At all.

I'd've watched the gently caress out of a film about Woody Harrelson's crew from the first third of the movie. Or Donald Glover's Lando.

But too much of Han's history is already understood, so putting it on screen is just... not interesting.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

thespaceinvader posted:

Solo would honestly have benefitted from NOT starring Han. At all.

I'd've watched the gently caress out of a film about Woody Harrelson's crew from the first third of the movie. Or Donald Glover's Lando.

But too much of Han's history is already understood, so putting it on screen is just... not interesting.

Exactly. Just give me spy movies, heist movies, whatever about random people in a big, colourful universe.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bistromatic posted:

Exactly. Just give me spy movies, heist movies, whatever about random people in a big, colourful universe.

Hollywood won't ever do this as cinema releases, sadly. There's a huge cargo cult of 'blockbusters must do like other blockbusters done' then a bafflement as to why they didn't do the good whent hey were bad movies written for bad reasons.

I would see a GOOD war film, or spy film, or heist movie, or gangster move, or hell, probably a romantic comedy, horror movie... pretty much any genre... set in the SW universe if it was done properly well, more than I'd see a mediocre main-canon Skywalker-story-adjacent mess that was written to cover all the important set pieces in a given backstory. Heck, if they have to stick to main canon, I'd far prefer to see tiny barely developed side characters than main canon core characters. Give me a Bail Organa political thriller starring Jimmy Smits and whoever it was played Mon Mothma in R1. Give me a Lando movie, I basically don't care what it is. Give me a Qui Gon movie, or a Kit Fisto movie, or a Plo Koon movie, etc etc etc.

But I suspect we're relegated to TV series for the foreseeable future, outside the main canon trilogies. Which wouldn't be a bad thing if it got the same sort of budget and quality as Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, or even something like Altered Carbon etc... but IS a bad thing because it will almost certainly not come out outside of Disney streaming and gently caress getting another streaming service.

There are a lot of shows in production; the Cassian one was rumoured, but The Mandalorian is already shooting, among others. Also, give me a Rogue Squadron series already, you cowards.

I was desperately hoping that Solo would show us bookends of stuff we already know about Han (say, a pre-credits thing where he meets Chewie, and a post-credits thing where he shows up at a card table opposite Lando) and the middle would be nothing we'd ever even heard of before but no, it was like they had a checklist to tick off. R1 had similar issues.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Maybe in Rogue 2 we'll get to see the Bothan meatgrinder they apparently had to traverse to steal information on Death Star 2.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rogue One only taught me one thing, and it’s that I’d LOVE to see an 80s style slasher flick where the monster is Darth Vader.

Gimme a dozen padawans camping at Khyber Lake and a scene where Vader’s lightsaber is glowing in the fog

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Rhjamiz posted:

Maybe in Rogue 2 we'll get to see the Bothan meatgrinder they apparently had to traverse to steal information on Death Star 2.

I'd love to see a movie about Manny Bothans, superspy.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd love to see a movie about Manny Bothans, superspy.

How could he be a super spy when he died getting one piece of information?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OniPanda posted:

Hey that was REALLY difficult information to get.

Also, more your Austin Powers, than your James Bond.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

OniPanda posted:

Plot twist: Manny never died and is the main villain of the next movie

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Seperatist preview article is up

I did The Kage Belbuasaur pilot

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Don't really get how the fortressing rules stack up with Grappling struts but whatever, wouldn't leave home without Grievous, he looks drat good, if that dial stacks up. Crackshot support ship will give swarms a decent jousting punch too. Pretty much definitely buying into these guys.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Grevious was a droid, right? Why does he get a focus action?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Limited droid generics almost certainly means they'll be cheap as hell, but you don't have to worry about people trying to run 12 of them.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

He was organic, almost killed and rebuilt mostly robotic. He had a heart eyes etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Some Numbers posted:

He's about as alive as Vader. Maybe a little less.