Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Slugworth posted:

Not to be a wiseass on this, the celebration of the birth of our lord and all, but it sure sounds like you're describing a corner here.

You're not saying anything I wasn't already thinking, I'm sure he'll will forgive you. My bit of DIY research online brings up the subject but it only seems to be like the outside corners that are addressed that way when its brought up and that's exactly how both my tiled showers were done originally, silicone in 4 corners but nowhere else including transitions from horizontal to vertical like this one. Speaking of...

"Use where horizontal and vertical surfaces meet"

Well there you go, thanks for confirming that's the way to go, now I just gotta hope I can find the right color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

If your shower is constructed properly it really shouldn’t be leaking even with a crack in the grout. There should be a membrane behind the walls that would shield the water from leaking into the floor below. Caulking might be a short term fix but I’d really think about replacing that shower at some point in the relatively near future. No tile/grout is completely waterproof and depending on how many showers are taken in that bathroom you may have moisture behind the tile even if you caulk every crack.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stupid puma posted:

If your shower is constructed properly it really shouldn’t be leaking even with a crack in the grout. There should be a membrane behind the walls that would shield the water from leaking into the floor below.

lol, I've seen fewer properly constructed bathrooms BY FAR than "5-10 year bathrooms" in varying degrees of "slap tile on drywall" to "maybe we'll put hardibacker on the walls of the surround and slap tile on that" which is a real step up.

Proper water sealing, Ditra or similar on the floors and walls is an astonishingly small proportion of actual constructed bathrooms because most people don't know better or don't care. If you're joe homeowner you're going with the lowest or maybe middle bid. That doesn't get you a good bathroom. If you are a developer you are going with the lowest bid. That will get you a bathroom that survives the warranty/until you "go out of business" and reform under another corporation.

While your point about proper quality construction based on modern methods is correct, they way you stated it seems to indicate you think this is something that actually happen in real life on a regular basis.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My downstairs bathroom is definitely just tile directly on drywall and I can't wait for the day I tear it all down

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

How can tile directly on sheetrock not just rot out the wall within a month??

I dunno, I did a shower with Ditra personally, but the others I’ve seen done at friends or family members’ houses used Redban or at least thick mil plastic that would have funneled the water to the concrete drain pan in a cracked grout situation. Maybe I just don’t realize the shower horrors out there...

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
It definitely occurred to me that cracked grout or not, that water should just be flowing down behind the tile to the drain, but it appears that while there is cement board behind the tile in this area things aren't setup to prevent water from escaping that encapsulation and flowing where it shouldn't.

Unfortunately we just bought this house 2 months before this earthquake and remodeling the bathroom, which had just been remodeled 8 years prior, isn't on our list of priorities. As it is I'm hoping to repair this crack and reseal all the grout to get us another 10 years before we have to consider a tear down remodel to install IoT enabled tiles with integrated cameras and the ability to upload our showering status directly to the instagram of 2030.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Edit: a ceramic tub surround is not a shower.

Not sure if I'd do a shower any different than a tub/shower surround. Mine's tile over cement board on a 60-YO tub. No leaks in ten years.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 26, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stupid puma posted:

How can tile directly on sheetrock not just rot out the wall within a month??

Because it's on a wall and therefore not in standing water. Also, thinset isn't nearly as water permeable as basic sanded grout, so you have a layer of "protection" behind the tile. Of course this is likely to crack at joints, so you're gonna get leaks int he corners first.

Even when Kerdi or some other appropriate material is used, it all comes down to the installation. You can have a shower fail just as fast if the contractor doesn't care or doesn't know how to use the system properly.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Hi all,

I'm trying to hook up a rackmountable uninterruptible power supply that has a NEMA L5-30R (male) power cord. I have a straight blade NEMA 14-30R outlet in my basement that I'd like to use, but I can't find anything compatible. I bought a "Parkworld 884913 Generator Adapter twist lock 30A L14-30P Male to L5-30R Female" but it has curved connectors on the male end. Is there a reason the straight blade plug adapters are hard to find? Is this an incompatible setup because the outlet is 220V? I seriously doubt the UPS ever actually draws 30A---is it safe to adapt it to a standard 5-20P on its own 15A breaker?

Here's some photos of what I'm babbling about :
https://imgur.com/a/NTRMQCl

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Greatest Living Man posted:

Hi all,

I'm trying to hook up a rackmountable uninterruptible power supply that has a NEMA L5-30R (male) power cord. I have a straight blade NEMA 14-30R outlet in my basement that I'd like to use, but I can't find anything compatible. I bought a "Parkworld 884913 Generator Adapter twist lock 30A L14-30P Male to L5-30R Female" but it has curved connectors on the male end. Is there a reason the straight blade plug adapters are hard to find? Is this an incompatible setup because the outlet is 220V? I seriously doubt the UPS ever actually draws 30A---is it safe to adapt it to a standard 5-20P on its own 15A breaker?

Here's some photos of what I'm babbling about :
https://imgur.com/a/NTRMQCl

The "L" means locking - those curved blades. "R" means receptacle. Your male end is a "P" for plug. A 5-30P goes in a 5-30R. An L5-30P goes in an L5-30R. You're mixing and matching and hoping it will work. I will look at this later but you would be better off in the "don't burn your house down" thread. Also 30 amp 120v plugs are simply not that common.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

H110Hawk posted:

The "L" means locking - those curved blades. "R" means receptacle. Your male end is a "P" for plug. A 5-30P goes in a 5-30R. An L5-30P goes in an L5-30R. You're mixing and matching and hoping it will work. I will look at this later but you would be better off in the "don't burn your house down" thread. Also 30 amp 120v plugs are simply not that common.

I crossposted to the electrical thread. Thanks for the explanation. I guess I was originally trying to buy a L5-30R to straight 14-30P.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My house's insulation is pretty crappy and possibly nonexistent. I had to open up one of the exterior walls awhile back to fix some water damage, and some of the stud bays were empty while others had some crumpled-up fiberglass insulation at the bottom. I'd like to improve my insulation; can I just blow in cellulose insulation regardless of what might already be in the wall?

I also kind of assume that once you blow cellulose in, any time you open up the wall again in the future you're going to make a big ol' mess as the cellulose will spill out. In other words, this is the kind of thing that should wait until after I'm done adding outlets, reworking circuits, etc. Correct?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I would...if you have a plan for re-setting and -routing receptacles, etc in the near future.

Having said that, it's not the end of the world if you have to open a wall...just have a large-capacity wet-vac on hand.

My son & I blew in insulation into my 1930 balloon-frame house a few years back, using Home Depot's kit; it cost less than $500, most of that going for diamond hole saws to cut through the asbestos exterior hard-board tile. I cut through the tile with a 2-1/4" saw, then through the underlying Dutch lap with a 2" hole saw, which opened each bay for the blower/injector system.

I had to stuff the bottoms of the chases with batt insulation from the basement. There was no leakage into the interior.

Afterwards, I glued the tile discs back in place, caulked & painted them over.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 4, 2019

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My house's insulation is pretty crappy and possibly nonexistent. I had to open up one of the exterior walls awhile back to fix some water damage, and some of the stud bays were empty while others had some crumpled-up fiberglass insulation at the bottom. I'd like to improve my insulation; can I just blow in cellulose insulation regardless of what might already be in the wall?

I also kind of assume that once you blow cellulose in, any time you open up the wall again in the future you're going to make a big ol' mess as the cellulose will spill out. In other words, this is the kind of thing that should wait until after I'm done adding outlets, reworking circuits, etc. Correct?

Are you going to be opening the walls all the way? If so, just add batts.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

Are you going to be opening the walls all the way? If so, just add batts.

I'm still sorting out what exactly I want to do. I'd hope that opening up the walls to that extent won't be required, but if/where it is then a proper batt is obviously preferable to cellulose.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

PainterofCrap posted:

I would...if you have a plan for re-setting and -routing receptacles, etc in the near future.

Having said that, it's not the end of the world if you have to open a wall...just have a large-capacity wet-vac on hand.

My son & I blew in insulation into my 1930 balloon-frame house a few years back, using Home Depot's kit; it cost less than $500, most of that going for diamond hole saws to cut through the asbestos exterior hard-board tile. I cut through the tile with a 2-1/4" saw, then through the underlying Dutch lap with a 2" hole saw, which opened each bay for the blower/injector system.

I had to stuff the bottoms of the chases with batt insulation from the basement. There was no leakage into the interior.

Afterwards, I glued the tile discs back in place, caulked & painted them over.

Does this have to be done from the outside? Or can you do it from inside? I need to do this and I don't want to cut up the outside.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Does this have to be done from the outside? Or can you do it from inside? I need to do this and I don't want to cut up the outside.

You can, and in most cases it is done from the inside. However, plaster walls or something else that would make the inside walls a PITA to patch would make the outside approach preferred. If you have something like vinyl siding, it may be easier to pop off a panel, drill/fill, and pop the panel back on than it would be to patch a zillion drywall holes.

Also, fireblocking in the walls can make this job require more holes than expected.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

One of my bathroom mirrors has two old tube lights along each side. One is burnt out and needs to be replaced. I can't figure out how to remove the light from the fixture. There are these covers on each end that hold the bulb but don't seem to be removable. Thanks for any insight/help!

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.
This should be a quick question. My wife and I are installing tin tiles over the tile backsplash in our kitchen. The previous owners installed the tile all around the sides of the pass throgugh:

My wife wants to install the tin tile all the way up to cover the last of the tile. The issue is that she wants to install it so that the finished edge is against the cabinets (ignore the finished edge on the top):

I think it's going to bother me to have that edge running straight down and hitting the tile running along the bottom. Does anyone have any ideas about how to transition into the tile? I thought about getting a t-shaped edge trim and putting it between.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cpranger posted:

I think it's going to bother me to have that edge running straight down and hitting the tile running along the bottom. Does anyone have any ideas about how to transition into the tile? I thought about getting a t-shaped edge trim and putting it between.

My money is on you not noticing it after a month.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cpranger posted:

Well I agree that it should cover all the old tile, but I think the new metal should line up with the rows below it, which means no finished edge left or right. I assume you were going to caulk the edges in or something? Maybe some grey silicone?

↓↓↓ Edit, the pattern should line up, that's what I meant.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 4, 2019

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The pattern lining up matters more than the factory edge.

Don’t you have finishing strips?

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I agree that the pattern should line up. I've also been told that we aren't doing that as my arguments that the factory edges don't matter failed. I was shooting for ideas that would cause my brain not to burn.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
*shrug* I put those finishing pieces all over and they look nice.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I did it from the outside because the interior walls are all plaster on lath and I like my house to be habitable, and free of plaster + newspaper insulation dust for the next ten centuries. That poo poo gets everywhere.

Even with a breeze, working outside, we were coated in insulation dust.

It can be done from the inside, but drat, it's messy, and a giant pain in the rear end if you're actually living there (as opposed to renovating before moving in).

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 4, 2019

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

groundsfordivorce.jpg

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, I see how someone might think in their head that that idea is the way to go, but no, it was the wrong choice.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cpranger posted:

groundsfordivorce.jpg

:sever:

That would drive me insane

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

mutata posted:

Haha, I see how someone might think in their head that that idea is the way to go, but no, it was the wrong choice.

angryrobots posted:

:sever:

That would drive me insane

She's very proud of it, and I'm trying to figure out how to take it down while she's gone.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

cpranger posted:

She's very proud of it, and I'm trying to figure out how to take it down while she's gone.

That sounds extremely healthy.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

H110Hawk posted:

My money is on you not noticing it after a month.

This is silly. The truth is that no other human being will ever notice one way or another, but it will haunt him every day for the rest of his life, just like every other small mistake on a project.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Doing it that way is wrong in two directions... it should die into the ceiling.

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

Obviously there is nothing that I can do about it. I'm disappointed because we spent a lot of time and a lot of money fixing all the things that the previous owner supremely messed up (for example, he used expandable foam to fill a hole where the deck attached to the house and let water enter the back wall).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

This is silly. The truth is that no other human being will ever notice one way or another, but it will haunt him every day for the rest of his life, just like every other small mistake on a project.

I’m in construction/real estate so I tend to notice the poo poo out of that stuff.

Had a friend put down hard wood floors in his place. I visit him and he’s so proud to show me the work he did all by himself. And he specifically points out how well he aligned the the seams in both directions. And it was all I could do to say “Looks great, buddy.”

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cpranger posted:

Take down the rest and move it over so it's lined up properly with that part.

You know that is the only way to make this work for everyone involved.

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

Motronic posted:

Take down the rest and move it over so it's lined up properly with that part.

You know that is the only way to make this work for everyone involved.

A friend came over this morning and went in the kitchen. I didn't tell him anything before he did. All of a sudden I hear "Ah, chabuduo" (he's from China).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lol. Almost indeed.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

cpranger posted:

groundsfordivorce.jpg

Oh no no no.

cpranger posted:

A friend came over this morning and went in the kitchen. I didn't tell him anything before he did. All of a sudden I hear "Ah, chabuduo" (he's from China).

Ahahaha

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 6, 2019

nulldev1ce
Aug 16, 2002
Shiny Globule

nashona posted:

One of my bathroom mirrors has two old tube lights along each side. One is burnt out and needs to be replaced. I can't figure out how to remove the light from the fixture. There are these covers on each end that hold the bulb but don't seem to be removable. Thanks for any insight/help!

I have a similar fixture, and just drove myself batshit trying to remember how to get the bulb out. Turns out there's a screw on the underside of the socket:

Also, if you replace the bulb and it still doesn't work, and if yours has one, try replacing the starter, they're cheap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

cpranger posted:

GOD I love that word.

For a great long-format on the history of "chabuduo," peep this great article that I read immediately upon returning from China, which still reads as the truest thing I've ever read.

https://aeon.co/essays/what-chinese-corner-cutting-reveals-about-modernity