Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Eox posted:

Hitting the dance floor with a loaded gun is a mad dumb thing to do even if the person you shot doesn't want any trouble. Accidents happen, but an accident with a gun is always deftly avoided by not having a loaded loving gun on your person.

All of this is true but none it tells me why two years probation isn't an appropriate sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

friendbot2000 posted:

His dad created an environment that encouraged abuse. If you have two kids and one of them hits the other, as a parent you tell them to stop hitting their sibling. In this analogy Fred Trump would egg it on and call you names if you didnt hit your brother harder. Pair that environment with a mother and father who had basically no ounce of love or humanity in their veins and you got a sociopath starter kit. I loathe Donald, but I capn see why he turned out this way from what I know of his parents and childhood.

There are a lot of people who come from awful, broken environments which break them in turn. One of the biggest problems in dealing with mental health is that many of those who aren't mentally healthy aren't sympathetic. Either because their mental illness breaks them in some way or because they are just unlikable. It makes getting aid for them all the more difficult.

Trump is mentally unwell both due to being a narcissist and his dementia. He's also an enormous sack of crap because he's been insulated from consequences his entire life and lives in an intensely selfish and destructive way. It makes it extremely difficult to feel empathy for him because he's causing so much damage and inflicting so much pain on others.

There's nothing you can really do at this point. The time to keep Trump from turning into who is now is keeping Fred Trump from abusing him back then. As far as I know there's no treatment for being a narcissist.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Jarmak posted:

All of this is true but none it tells me why two years probation isn't an appropriate sentence.

Yeah that was my original point.

We are so used to a draconian legal system in the US it seeps into the subconscious of the left making prison time for minor infractions seem normal and justified.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

RasperFat posted:

Yeah that was my original point.

We are so used to a draconian legal system in the US it seeps into the subconscious of the left making prison time for minor infractions seem normal and justified.

Also the knowledge that if this was "random PoC" they would get jail time and this white fed isn't getting that.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Mr Interweb posted:

ok some of these have to be photoshopped right

https://twitter.com/w3ph/status/1077716214053400576
I know it’s because one is from a video and the other is from a photographer who knows what they’re doing, but it still feels significant that the shot of Michelle Obama is so much more colorful than the one of Trump.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ardennes posted:

If anything we are going to be hit with austerity measures that will make the situation worse. That said, I think Trump/GOP's chances in 2020 are getting more remote. The problem is the economy is going to be complete poo poo and the Democrats might not be able to fix it.

Perfect time for UHC and UBI

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Jarmak posted:

Sentencing is designed to do several things
1. Protection of society
2. Provide for rehabilitation
3. Specific deterrence (You, specifically don't do this again)
4. General deterrence (Anyone should think twice before doing this again)
5. Retribution

A guy with no previous criminal history did a dumb thing that caused an unlikely event that injured a person who wasn't that fired up over it. He's not likely to do it again, so 1 and 3 don't really apply. There's such a long causal change that general deterrence is hard to target and no one is clamoring for vengeance. All that's left is providing for rehabilitation, which isn't really served by a jail term.

Backloading consequences if he continues to be a fuckup is the most fair outcome here.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I know it’s because one is from a video and the other is from a photographer who knows what they’re doing, but it still feels significant that the shot of Michelle Obama is so much more colorful than the one of Trump.

There's also the ghostly shadows in the Trump shot. It's obviously from the set lighting but it makes it look like they're sitting in the dark, the only light is from the headlights of passing traffic.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
An old timey Christmas tale, just before the sun sets on us at the end of this day of healing:

Woody Guthrie - 1913 Massacre:

"And the children that died there were seventy three."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz7oguguIZE

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

It is just so goddamn hellish...how do you gently caress up Christmas decorating this badly?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

“Lo and did Mattis walk the path to the bleak underworld to meet its divine master, Trumpf.”

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah ok we get it the Trump administration is better than the Obama one at Christmas decoration, don't rub it in

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

That isn't an argument for how PayGo is really progressive...

And you don't know what centrism is, so I guess we're at an impasse.

I do not care for some of Pelosi's policies as relate to budgetary spending. That doesn't change the fact that she's left of center of both the average Dem voter and her fellow Dem Representatives. (But not radically so)

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1077776366450429958?s=19

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Trump knows he's a supervillain and is embracing the poo poo out of it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

friendbot2000 posted:

It is just so goddamn hellish...how do you gently caress up Christmas decorating this badly?

I'm in the camp that actually rather enjoys Melania's horrific nightmare Christmases. I hope we get two more.

well, mostly, a trump divorce during his presidency would be amazeballs

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

And you don't know what centrism is, so I guess we're at an impasse.

I do not care for some of Pelosi's policies as relate to budgetary spending. That doesn't change the fact that she's left of center of both the average Dem voter and her fellow Dem Representatives. (But not radically so)

The average D voter is FOR Medicare for All.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm in the camp that actually rather enjoys Melania's horrific nightmare Christmases. I hope we get two more.

well, mostly, a trump divorce during his presidency would be amazeballs

Omg I can only imagine how petty that would get. He would war over everything right down to the decor.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

friendbot2000 posted:

Omg I can only imagine how petty that would get. He would war over everything right down to the decor.

Reminder that he and his now-ex-wife enthusiastically participated in Pizza Hut commercials that made fun of their ongoing divorce.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

The average D voter is FOR Medicare for All.

And they also didn't previously personally shepherd single payer through their house of Congress. Just stop embarrassing yourself.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ice Phisherman posted:

As far as I know there's no treatment for being a narcissist.

Narcissists never seek treatment anyway, it's practically a diagnostic element. Even if there were a treatment, you couldn't get a narcissist to comply with it. If they're complying and participating in treatment odds are they aren't a narcissist.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what she actually accomplishes. This is starting to feel like Avenatti-level self-aggrandizing,

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Catalyst-proof posted:

I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what she actually accomplishes. This is starting to feel like Avenatti-level self-aggrandizing,

Anything she proposes is going to face immense resistance. They want to squash her right away

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

I like how their tree is just dead hair being lit from the bottom. Why not just replace the furniture with dancing women, have the rooms be lit only by skulls and fire and have some personal insignia on banners through out the halls?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

RasperFat posted:

Hence why I said an appropriate punishment might be taking away his gun license.
Ah yes, take away the thing that doesn't exist. brilliant. that'll show em.

Look, you asked why someone would be segregated from society for shooting someone. It's so they don't shoot someone else. I don't know why you are having trouble understanding this, but you are clearly confused.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 26, 2018

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Catalyst-proof posted:

How is it self-aggrandizing? Even if it is, how does it come anywhere near Basta-man's level?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

And they also didn't previously personally shepherd single payer through their house of Congress. Just stop embarrassing yourself.

hey, yeah, when's the last time trusting nancy pelosi bit any people relying on her in the rear end

ain't that right, DACA kids?

i forget, theflyingorc. were you one of the ones who was busy writing fanfiction about how Nancy was giving latino reps a well-deserved tongue-lashing for being so insufferably uppity as to question her ability to deliver on the deal last year

or were you wise enough to keep your mouth shut

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BarbarianElephant posted:

It’s probably genuinely linked. The business world feels happier with Republicans in power because they know tax cuts are coming their way. They also know that Congress is now going to be engaged in a big internal war, rather than doing the cut taxes and regulations thing that they would if Republicans retained the house.

Certainly wasn't Trump loving around with the market and making poo poo dump by shaking everything up.
The economy does way better under Democrats than it does Republicans, even Trump agrees.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

I’ve been giggling for 5 minutes at the name “Donnie Merbles”

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alkydere posted:

There's also the ghostly shadows in the Trump shot. It's obviously from the set lighting but it makes it look like they're sitting in the dark, the only light is from the headlights of passing traffic.

The shadows of the chandeliers also make it look like paint is faded and peeling on the walls, which only adds to the effect.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Catalyst-proof posted:

I'd like you to go into detail as to how a message of "love thy fellow man" is self-aggrandizing.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

hey, yeah, when's the last time trusting nancy pelosi bit any people relying on her in the rear end

i forget, theflyingorc. were you one of the ones who was busy writing fanfiction about how Nancy was giving latino reps a well-deserved tongue-lashing for being so insufferably uppity as to question her ability to deliver on the deal last year

You're legitimately not well

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BarbarianElephant posted:

It’s probably genuinely linked. The business world feels happier with Republicans in power because they know tax cuts are coming their way. They also know that Congress is now going to be engaged in a big internal war, rather than doing the cut taxes and regulations thing that they would if Republicans retained the house.

the biz world should be shoved into a brazen bull.

They use THEALGORITHM which trades in pico seconds and trys to make "predictions" about stuff going into the trillion year mark, but arbitrarily only trade during 9 to 5 hours.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

I don't think theflyingorc was one of them, but this is genuinely something that happened. Folks were incensed that Luis Gutierrez didn't place his faith in Pelosi and Schumer's ability to make a deal with Trump and hold him to it.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 26, 2018

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

You're legitimately not well

it turns out remembering the past is useful, in the discussing politics game.

next time you decide to brag on someone's reliability, maybe pick someone who was not presented to a lot of desperate people as a savior, and who then rang in the new year by telling them "lol nevermind get in the detention camps kids i'm told it might look bad if i pushed the issue of your being human beings"

i genuinely did not recall if you were one of the people crowing about how -childish- the latino representatives questioning if she'd be able to deliver were. i merely recall the event.

it was not, perhaps, the finest hour of Team Trust The Leadership.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Holy poo poo this is good. She gets it and can say it in both religious and secular terms.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I know this was a while ago but has anyone noticed the Soviet Union isn't on here? There's no way Italy or Canada had a larger economy than the USSR in 1966.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

Holy poo poo this is good. She gets it and can say it in both religious and secular terms.

Powerful painting too.:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mr Interweb posted:

ok some of these have to be photoshopped right

https://twitter.com/w3ph/status/1077716214053400576

Why would you think that? People actually wanted to go when the Obama's ran the place.