Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mameluke posted:

What fun Spider-Folk who didn't make the cut for this one would y'all like to see in a sequel? Italian Spiderman, obviously, and newspaper Spiderman for sure; Silk would be a great "serious" addition. I'd also love to see Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark show up and belt out a catastrophic number or two; he even comes with his own Spider-God, Arachne!

Tituss Burgess as Spidermen Too,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcrc4VdoueE

Also the various Muppet spider-mans, including the creepy metal CGI one from the logo at the end of Muppet Babies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR1DdMeVqTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTjBnFXMg3I

Who What Now posted:

All the Sam Raimi movies, including three, are way better than any of the later live-action Spider-Man films

The Raimi movies and Homecoming are so completely different in what they are and what they're trying to do and their interpretation of the character that I don't know how you would even really compare them outside of personal enjoyment.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There's been a weird sort of backlash to sam raimi movies I don't get. Especially since Sam Raimi has a clearer vision as a director than any of the later films.

I think the issue is that the later marvel movies have been very good at tricking the audience into believing they are not watching a superhero movie, while the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies are unapologetic in their superhero-ness

Well they did just recently release a big remastered blu-ray set of the Raimi trilogy and I imagine it made a lot of people revisit the movies for the first time in like a decade and re-evaluate it accordingly. I know that for me personally it kind of took the sheen off seeing in high definition, I don't know if it's the lighting or the film stock or what but the whole movie feels like it's in this weird awkward transition between the glossiness of 90s blockbusters and the sort of desaturated look that only recently started going away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Raimi films are good, but I will never forgive them for coving up Willem Dafoe's face. Such perfect casting and they barely let the poor dude do the mugging he was born to do.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
At least we got the Thanksgiving scene. Love Defoe in the first one.

Personally I enjoy a lot about the first trilogy but the PP/MJ 'romance' is so terrible it sinks the movies every time they show up on screen together.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mameluke posted:

What fun Spider-Folk who didn't make the cut for this one would y'all like to see in a sequel? Italian Spiderman, obviously, and newspaper Spiderman for sure; Silk would be a great "serious" addition. I'd also love to see Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark show up and belt out a catastrophic number or two; he even comes with his own Spider-God, Arachne!

I figure Spider-Girl is a fairly likely future inclusion. The Renew Your Vows verse Spider-Family might be cool to see (you'd have a version of MJ that could actively participate in the story, too), but I suppose a lot of people would say that Sony was ripping off the Incredibles. I dunno if the rights would allow it, but having PS4 Spidey/versions from the previous cartoons would be cool.

They could also just make up new, original, spider-people directly for the movie (kind of like how Spider-Gwen and Sp//dr got their start spinning out of the Spider-Verse comics). The 'let's do this one more time' storytelling device would work just as well for introing entirely new characters as it does for established ones that the audience most likely doesn't know.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is Spider-MJ already an actual character?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mameluke posted:

Spider-Hero. With additional nunchucks.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Regalingualius posted:

Is Spider-MJ already an actual character?

Well, there's been a few:
1) A Spider-Woman MJ showed up in Exiles (think Sliders meets Quantum Leap, but with superheroes) basically wearing Peter's costume.
2) I believe in the Marvel Mangaverse, her and Peter and both members of the Spider-Clan (yes really). Again I think she's that world's Spider-Woman.
3) In the Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows universe, MJ uses some tech taken from a supervillain that Peter modified into a costume that basically lets her syphon off his powers. She fights crime with him and their daughter, Annie May Parker.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figure toku Spider-man with Leopardon goes without saying.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Anime Parker, huh

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Phylodox posted:

We don’t talk about that.

Why? It ruled.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

nerdman42 posted:

He's new, but I'm very fond of Spiders-Man.

My hope is that he's in a sequel. It's totally a concept they could have fun with, although in a dark way.

My dream scenario would include cancer-ridden and radioactive Ruins Spider-Man being a Debbie Downer to the other Spider-People, so Spiders-Man takes him off-screen to console him, then returns moments later by "himself", claiming that Ruin SM "went back to his home dimension" and "he's in a better place now".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I figure Spider-Girl is a fairly likely future inclusion. The Renew Your Vows verse Spider-Family might be cool to see (you'd have a version of MJ that could actively participate in the story, too), but I suppose a lot of people would say that Sony was ripping off the Incredibles. I dunno if the rights would allow it, but having PS4 Spidey/versions from the previous cartoons would be cool.

They could also just make up new, original, spider-people directly for the movie (kind of like how Spider-Gwen and Sp//dr got their start spinning out of the Spider-Verse comics). The 'let's do this one more time' storytelling device would work just as well for introing entirely new characters as it does for established ones that the audience most likely doesn't know.

It'd be cool to have Mary Jane Loves Spider-man in there as well, just a character trying to figure herself out in high school, you know, in a multi-dimensional crossover.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'd just like to see another Miles or Gwen story and not 50 more Spider People.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cgzNGZ0LErQ&t=0m30s

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

OctoberCountry posted:

Why? It ruled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ron-Ikenfc

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

What is your argument here.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Skippy McPants posted:

Raimi films are good, but I will never forgive them for coving up Willem Dafoe's face. Such perfect casting and they barely let the poor dude do the mugging he was born to do.
This is precisely why Streets Of Fire is the greatest movie ever made.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SardonicTyrant posted:

This is precisely why Streets Of Fire is the greatest movie ever made.

If you want to see him making crazy faces I got a little movie for you named Anti Christ

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

uh if you want to watch Dafoe make crazy faces just watch any movie he is in.

If you want to see his dick bashed with a log specifically, then watch Antichrist

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Fart City posted:

uh if you want to watch Dafoe make crazy faces just watch any movie he is in.

If you want to see his dick bashed with a log specifically, then watch Antichrist

People talk about 'the snap' well watch out in Antichrist for 'the snip.'

I feel like the incoming Spider-Women movie has plenty of potential to invent new Spider-ladies instead of having to look to the comics to echo gags (not that there's anything wrong with that). Heck, throw in Squirrel Girl as a scientist best friend and let Ryan North run QA on all the computer jokes.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Having seen the promo episode for that new Marvel cartoon, I'd like to see more Ghost Spider/Spider Gwen/Spider Woman/???

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The most important thing is that they ignore the comics to the greatest possible extent and instead make something good (unlike comics, which are bad and loving dumb as hell)

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

lmao I love this still makes nerds furious

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Space Fish posted:

People talk about 'the snap' well watch out in Antichrist for 'the snip.'

I feel like the incoming Spider-Women movie has plenty of potential to invent new Spider-ladies instead of having to look to the comics to echo gags (not that there's anything wrong with that). Heck, throw in Squirrel Girl as a scientist best friend and let Ryan North run QA on all the computer jokes.

Unfortunately, I'm certain that Squirrel Girl is a MIC property and not something that can crossover easily.

I'm wondering about Spider-Woman: she's basically related to Spider-Man by name only, having her whole thing being essentially a better, superpowered American-sanctioned Black Widow.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

OctoberCountry posted:

lmao I love this still makes nerds furious

I can’t even tell if they’re furious. They were like “this part of a movie sucks,” and other people were like “oh, I liked that part,” and their response is to... link to a video of that part with no further comment? Like, yes. That is what we are discussing. You got it, champ.

I’m being disingenuous here, I know the actual intention behind something like this is to shove it in the opposition’s face and imply a scream of “just LOOK AT IT!” because you’re hoping to get the audience following along with the discussion to believe there’s an objective stance on the scene they may or may not have missed out on. Except these forums are dead and the only people you’re proving yourself to are the ones who already made up their minds about the scene.

lovely dancing Parker is great and only continues the tradition of the pure ecstasy of camp that lines the Raimi trilogy.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Fish posted:

Heck, throw in Squirrel Girl as a scientist best friend and let Ryan North run QA on all the computer jokes.

Oh my god that would be the greatest thing ever.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

I can’t even tell if they’re furious. They were like “this part of a movie sucks,” and other people were like “oh, I liked that part,” and their response is to... link to a video of that part with no further comment? Like, yes. That is what we are discussing. You got it, champ.

I’m being disingenuous here, I know the actual intention behind something like this is to shove it in the opposition’s face and imply a scream of “just LOOK AT IT!” because you’re hoping to get the audience following along with the discussion to believe there’s an objective stance on the scene they may or may not have missed out on. Except these forums are dead and the only people you’re proving yourself to are the ones who already made up their minds about the scene.

lovely dancing Parker is great and only continues the tradition of the pure ecstasy of camp that lines the Raimi trilogy.

To be fair I didn't realize Phylodox was just referencing a line from Spider-Verse, but I seriously never understood the anger that dancing Peter got.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Phylodox posted:

We don’t talk about that.

Pirate Jet posted:

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
After watching the trailers I had kinda been anticipating how Gwen and Peter would react to each other and was a bit shocked to learn that whole character history is mostly ignored. I think the Peter they show briefly in her cutaway is actually the Spider-Dad version, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGQDDfzuMVI

I think Moviebob makes a good argument that the modern incarnation of Gwen Stacy's character, and her property in general, is good (better?) having left behind her legacy as little more than a motivational corpse.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i want to write the definitive Spiders-Man miniseries where his villain is a take on Swarm, but it's thousands of wasps that think they're human

and at the end of the series the thousands of wasps that think they're human get elected as senator of Texas

edit: the dancing in Spider-Man 3 is stellar. It's one of my favorite things that when Absolute Dork Peter Parker from the Raimi movies gets "infected" with an alien that makes him more morally flexible, he decides to become "cooler", which in the eyes of an Absolute Dork includes dancing down the street like a loon and basically turning into The Fonz

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 26, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DC Murderverse posted:

and at the end of the series the thousands of wasps that think they're human get elected as senator of Texas

Can you try writing something a bit more fantastical please? Just ripping true to life stories is dull.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Not Keyser Soze posted:

After watching the trailers I had kinda been anticipating how Gwen and Peter would react to each other and was a bit shocked to learn that whole character history is mostly ignored.
It would probably have taken too much time and emotional focus on two characters who aren’t Miles - in the middle of his own origin story - to fit it in.

I think they can plausibly put it down to Peter B’s universe not having a Gwen, and him being too far removed from her skinny teenage nerd version of Peter to cause much of an emotional reaction (as opposed to May clearly seeing the surrogate son she just lost in this older, thicker version) if they want to revisit it in later installment.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any fun alternate Venoms we can throw in? Gwenom? Venham?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If there’s a hero there’s a venom-hero. There was even a recent event about this I think:

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 27, 2018

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

DC Murderverse posted:

i want to write the definitive Spiders-Man miniseries where his villain is a take on Swarm, but it's thousands of wasps that think they're human

edit: the dancing in Spider-Man 3 is stellar. It's one of my favorite things that when Absolute Dork Peter Parker from the Raimi movies gets "infected" with an alien that makes him more morally flexible, he decides to become "cooler", which in the eyes of an Absolute Dork includes dancing down the street like a loon and basically turning into The Fonz
[

[quote="DC Murderverse" post="491036565"]

This sounds great. I think about the episode of Spider-Man and His Amazing friends that has Swarm in it all the time.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
OK.

Am I overthinking this or is this a thing.

When Doc Ock is on the TV in the classroom talking about alternate dimensions, She says something like "In an alternate dimension I could be really into leather pants." Is this a joke about classic Doc's terrible costume that you're only supposed to get an hour later while cooking dinner?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mameluke posted:

Are there any fun alternate Venoms we can throw in? Gwenom?

Would you believe this is an accurate description of Spider-Gwen's current status quo in the comics?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

7c Nickel posted:

OK.

Am I overthinking this or is this a thing.

When Doc Ock is on the TV in the classroom talking about alternate dimensions, She says something like "In an alternate dimension I could be really into leather pants." Is this a joke about classic Doc's terrible costume that you're only supposed to get an hour later while cooking dinner?

I believe he had leather pants in Spider-Man 2?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Shageletic posted:

It'd be cool to have Mary Jane Loves Spider-man in there as well, just a character trying to figure herself out in high school, you know, in a multi-dimensional crossover.

MJ loves Spidey ending like it did makes me almost as angry as Marvel Adventures Spidey ending just as it had wrapped up one of its finest storylines with Chat and Emma Frost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

evilmiera posted:

MJ loves Spidey ending like it did makes me almost as angry as Marvel Adventures Spidey ending just as it had wrapped up one of its finest storylines with Chat and Emma Frost.

If you're talking about the McKeever run of Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane and not the continuation, I actually liked it ending at that point. We all knew exactly how the story would end from there. It wasn't the end, not really - it was the end of the beginning.