Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
JuJu isn't a top 10 WR, but he is good and is getting better rapidly. Maybe part of that is even due to coaching!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

mcmagic posted:

He's not a good coach. He's replacement level at best.

lol this is always my favorite part of the show, no matter how many schools and franchises I see it at

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

shirts and skins posted:

Do you suppose those players perform at that level in a vacuum? Do they design the plays they run and run those routes on their own?

This is an argument against Tomlin.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Phobeste posted:

Tfw you’re telling on yourself

Hell of a dogwhistle innit.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

mcmagic posted:

This is an argument against Tomlin.

It's quite the opposite I assure you. If Luck makes the hall of fame someday, we'll certainly look to Indy's hiring of Reich as the turning point of his career. He was going nowhere near it with the coaches he had before.

You don't have a team with a hall of fame QB, a top tier WR, and (until this year) a top tier RB without very good coaching. They simply wouldn't be in a position to put up the numbers.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

shirts and skins posted:

It's quite the opposite I assure you. If Luck makes the hall of fame someday, we'll certainly look to Indy's hiring of Reich as the turning point of his career. He was going nowhere near it with the coaches he had before.

You don't have a team with a hall of fame QB, a top tier WR, and (until this year) a top tier RB without very good coaching. They simply wouldn't be in a position to put up the numbers.

Just look at Phillip Rivers and Tony Romo. They played on some absurdly talented teams, but never had anywhere near the success Roethlisberger's had because Norv Turner and Jason Garrett were/are far worse coaches than Tomlin is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Just look at Phillip Rivers and Tony Romo. They played on some absurdly talented teams, but never had anywhere near the success Roethlisberger's had because Norv Turner and Jason Garrett were/are far worse coaches than Tomlin is.

I think Tomlin and Garrett are pretty much the same level of bad coach.

shirts and skins posted:

This isn't a good argument. NTM that Tomlin has nothing to do with the offense. The only thing keeping Luck out of the HOF no matter who his coach was is his OLine's ability to protect him and his health. They literally upgraded his OL from horrible to league average this year, he still has mediocre skill players and he's playing like an MVP. Ben played at a high level before Tomlin was his coach and the idea that players like Brown or Bell wouldn't have great NFL careers without Tomlin is pretty dumb.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

mcmagic posted:

Jason Garrett has one playoff 'win'* and two playoff appearances in 8 seasons of coaching.

You might want to reevaluate your stance here.

*yes I'm still mad

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Something in your brain is broken.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Yeah I think Tomlin is just Mike McCarthy but no way is he Garrett tier.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

It's funny how the NFL works for 90% of the people involved. The GM gets lucky in the draft and the coach is a genus. Otherwise he's an idiot who can't coach. The O-Line stays healthy and the Running back is an All-Pro. Otherwise he's an overpaid bum. Add talent at WR and the QB is fantastic! Why wasn't he this good last year?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
If you look very carefully the AFC North is just like the AFC East, so Tomlin not being Patriot's level good is just kinda unforgivable when you think about it. The Bills and the Ravens have basically been the same team for the past ten years. It's unforgivable.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Add melatonin and the player is no longer gritty or cerebral.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Melanin*

Add melatonin and the player gets drowsy

E: although you have a point

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Dagen H posted:

Melanin*

Add melatonin and the player gets drowsy

E: although you have a point

Uhhhhh... that's exactly what I meant. :downs:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tomlin can be a good coach and you can also say that the Steelers might need to get a new one. The same thing happened in Philly with Reid where all parties just needed a fresh start.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Codependent Poster posted:

Tomlin can be a good coach and you can also say that the Steelers might need to get a new one. The same thing happened in Philly with Reid where all parties just needed a fresh start.

Maybe, but remember that Reid's tenure in Philadelphia came to an end after a four-year decline, culminating in an extremely disappointing 4-12 season. And hey, maybe this might be the start of a similar decline, but Tomlin's still only a year removed from a 13-3 season, two years removed from the AFC Championship game, and will still finish this season with a winning record, so it's hard for me to accept that the time to fire him is now, or even soon.

e: I will point out that the Lions just fired winning coach for underachieving, and that has resulted in spectacular failure thus far. Good coaches are hard to find, guys!

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 26, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Codependent Poster posted:

Moving away from reid was a disaster that through chance turned into something after an embarrassing ride. People keep bringing this up like it was the secret to success. Maybe, just maybe, the eagles would have even had more success by keep their great coach.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sickening posted:

Moving away from reid was a disaster that through chance turned into something after an embarrassing ride. People keep bringing this up like it was the secret to success. Maybe, just maybe, the eagles would have even had more success by keep their great coach.

Reid hired his OL coach as DC. Dude 100% checked out at the end

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I remember Mike Tomlin tried to trip / block that ravens player on a possible kick return TD, showing he'll do whatever it takes to win which is the mark of a great coach

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Miami is probably gonna keep Gase and Grier but fire Tannenbaum

https://twitter.com/armandosalguero/status/1077811170973753350?s=21

lol

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Ehud posted:

Miami is probably gonna keep Gase and Grier but fire Tannenbaum

https://twitter.com/armandosalguero/status/1077811170973753350?s=21

lol

This team isn't going to be any good until Stephen Ross dies

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Darth Brooks posted:

It's funny how the NFL works for 90% of the people involved. The GM gets lucky in the draft and the coach is a genus. Otherwise he's an idiot who can't coach. The O-Line stays healthy and the Running back is an All-Pro. Otherwise he's an overpaid bum. Add talent at WR and the QB is fantastic! Why wasn't he this good last year?

poo poo, look at Ryan pace. Getting the gift of mack added like 8 wins to the team and made every other player look way better than ever before

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Sickening posted:

Perhaps they could even be defending Super Bowl champs!

Reid should always be remembered as one of the greatest Eagles coaches who ushered in their greatest level of sustained success. It was also absolutely time for both parties to move on after 14 years.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MD2020 posted:

Perhaps they could even be defending Super Bowl champs!

Reid should always be remembered as one of the greatest Eagles coaches who ushered in their greatest level of sustained success. It was also absolutely time for both parties to move on after 14 years.

Same but Ron Rivera.

Strange it's almost like he learned something from his mentor...

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Weird, Hargaugh is of the Reid coaching tree too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--Yeah his coaching tree is pretty ridiculous

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Reid hired his OL coach as DC. Dude 100% checked out at the end

The story as Reid tells it is he himself thought he had too much front office power in Philly and he didn't like that part of the game and just wanted to get back to coaching. Of course I think almost everyone believes he had something to do with why Dorsey is not the GM in KC anymore so I'm not sure if he doesn't still have that problem.

Also half of Chiefs fans would probably hire that OL coach as DC at the moment sight unseen. They wouldn't be right obviously but man is he loyal to poo poo coaches.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I like to think that ol coach was talking massive poo poo about how defense is so easy then reid said okay you're dc now

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Flikken posted:

Have you never posted here before?

That was Hue's first interview question. "Ever coached before?"

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I always like to consider the NY Giants Super Bowl consistency as a good measure, with 1 Super Bowl appearance every decade except 1 (I think the 70s.) Its as consistent as anybody can get, and it's obviously much longer than anyone wants to deal with, but maybe something to keep in mind with where a team is headed. Sometimes 1 or 2 seasons can be too short a time (and even too soon) considering this scale. There are coaches so bad they need to be fired immediately, but I think old school franchises like the Steelers have this much longer term mentality.

Course the Patriots gently caress the whole thing up, but that was all very "recent" so idk

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Mike Vrabel seems to be an alright coach and I'm glad the Titans didn't gently caress it up like they could have

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Demon Of The Fall posted:

like they could have

https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/1078022480923684864

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

lol there's still people (not here) that defend him and think it's just cooter or stafford that are the problem

he could be the smartest rocket scientist in the world and he's still an objectively bad coach

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
As soon as that story about Matt Patricia got posted, Tom Coughlin got even angrier than usual and didn't know why

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Mike Vrabel seems to be an alright coach and I'm glad the Titans didn't gently caress it up like they could have

He seems like a very Tomlin/Rivera/Fat Mike type of coach which I think is something the Titans needed. Hopefully he can bring some consistency there

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

he might be (is) a totally lovely coach and this may be a reflection of some of the reasons why, but if I'm picking qualities in a guy I want to lead my football team "punctuality to their press availability" is not anywhere on the list. in fact it might be one of the things I don't want in a coach

e: which is to say, I think people are just looking for more reasons to be mad at him cause we already don't like him much

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

indigi posted:

he might be (is) a totally lovely coach and this may be a reflection of some of the reasons why, but if I'm picking qualities in a guy I want to lead my football team "punctuality to their press availability" is not anywhere on the list. in fact it might be one of the things I don't want in a coach

e: which is to say, I think people are just looking for more reasons to be mad at him cause we already don't like him much

I don't care about that either, but he's also late to team meetings, which is completely unacceptable from a coach.

There's been some bullshit as well (running sprints in preseason / practicing outside), but he has to be pretty happy about Steve Wilks and Hue Jackson otherwise he'd be getting mocked 10x as much as he has been for this performance.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Kalli posted:

There's been some bullshit as well (running sprints in preseason / practicing outside), but he has to be pretty happy about Steve Wilks and Hue Jackson otherwise he'd be getting mocked 10x as much as he has been for this performance.

yeah I feel like even Vance Joseph has been catching more poo poo (nationally) until now. that win against the Patriots bought him some skating time

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

indigi posted:

yeah I feel like even Vance Joseph has been catching more poo poo (nationally) until now. that win against the Patriots bought him some skating time

just as planned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Just your weekly reminder that Matt Patricia raped another human being and is now raping an organization.