Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think Forgebane has left production by now, which might make it tricky to find in some cases.

Or that was the impression I got when Element game was clearing out their stocks of it a while ago. Still available on the GW store though so I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Seldom Posts posted:

Forgebane is also a good way to accidentally start a Knights army. I bought 2 ad mech halves, and then I was like, welp might as well buy Renegade. Now I have Knights to paint when I'm done my ad mech.

Boy I know how that turns out. On the plus side, Knights are fun to paint as a break between Admech models.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
When y’all are talking about painting with airbrushes... what for?

Can’t you you just buy the color of primer you want and use that for the base coat?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Yellow drained my soul for brush painting medium-to-large surfaces. I'm coming back with bigger weaponry I guess

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Can’t you you just buy the color of primer you want and use that for the base coat?

Airbrushes let you do nice shades within that basecoat. Dark shadows, light highlights etc. Sure, you can do this with a brush, but it takes a lot of time.

You can also do all sorts of cool effects with it:

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Airbrushes offer more control than spraying, and you use up less paint. There’s a ton of tricks you can do with an airbrush that are nearly impossible with hairbrushes, but even with basecoating I’d rather use the airbrush. (Except on big terrain pieces gently caress it that’s getting hit with a can.)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
That seems crazy that you’d be able to get such precision from airbrushes. Kicking rad.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

There's only like 1 color of yellow spray paint and it's not the one I want for my guys, and painting yellow with a brush sucks. Plus I can't really spray paint inside, but I can airbrush fine.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That seems crazy that you’d be able to get such precision from airbrushes. Kicking rad.

A good clean airbrush with a good needle and tip can do really fine work. Look for videos on Youtube and you can see people making airbrush lines that look like they're done with a pen.

Combine that with good masking techniques and you can get some amazing results.

I'm a mediocre brush painter, but that's because I don't use a brush if I can help it. Any surface bigger than a fingernail will be airbrushed instead of brushed.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Zenithal highlighting practically requires an airbrush, blending effects are a lot easier, it's fast without sacrificing control (a rattlecan is absolutely sacrificing control). OSL is also really easy to do with an airbrush and it looks cool as hell.

I use it a lot for doing cloudy camo patterns, which are if not actually impossible then they're pretty loving close to impossible with a can.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Already been said, but until you try a dual action airbrush and see how fast you can do gradients, OSL, shading, etc, you don't know what you're missing. Especially on big flat panels like vehicles and knights.

Even applying grey gradients to a black basecoat so thinned paints will automatically be highlighted is a dream.

Little fiddly bits and edge highlights are still by hand (if you even need the edges), but every minute you spend getting better at the airbrush will pay off. It's the difference between 45 min per marine and 20

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The time factor is definitely a big deal, too. I primed a trio of Crisis Suits earlier today, and I'm planning on sitting down to paint them later tonight. Since the entire scheme I use is by airbrush and a little bit of detail brushwork, I don't expect taking all three of them from 'primed, no paint' to 'finished and sealed' to take longer than about half an hour (plus some time for the paint to dry, just in case).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Just being able to prime all year and not worry about humidity has made an airbrush totally worth it.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Funny coincidence that my in-laws got my an airbrush for Christmas today, what with all the airbrush talk lately.

Given that I know absolutely nothing about airbrushes, will a cheap one start me off following bad practices? They got my a Master G23, which I think is fairly cheap.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Duct Tape posted:

Funny coincidence that my in-laws got my an airbrush for Christmas today, what with all the airbrush talk lately.

Given that I know absolutely nothing about airbrushes, will a cheap one start me off following bad practices? They got my a Master G23, which I think is fairly cheap.

Badgers are on sale on Amazon right now. $60 for a 105. Keep the compressor from the master set for now (replace it later) and get a dual action gravity feed brush of any kind

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Can anyone help me with this shade of blue?

Preferably citadel or vallejo.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Between that and Vigilus, I'm suddenly wavering on whether or not I should stick with my planned Celestial Lions or swap over to the Fists. :ohdear:

Merry Hamsmas to all, and to all a sweet hamsmas!

Run the Lions as fists. They are both forward thinking Dorn successors.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
If you can get it, that’s Bering Blue in Scale

https://scale75.com/en/scalecolor-range/232-bering-blue.html

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Yeast posted:

If you can get it, that’s Bering Blue in Scale

https://scale75.com/en/scalecolor-range/232-bering-blue.html

That looks perfect, but I've never seen scale here in Australia unfortunately. I'll order it if nothing else presents itself.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Airbrushing means never having to worry about loving up a clear coat again. It's also a lot cheaper than the high quality rattle cans in the long run.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
As an expert in loving up rattlecan matte coats, how much of a pain is it to clean an airbrush after varnishing? I don’t really wanna mess with anything nastier than windex.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I’ve tried to get into airbrushing but I’m too much of a dunce to be able to keep the fucker clean. I’ve tried methods listed in a few places including complete disassembly and soaking in isopropyl alcohol.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Badablack posted:

As an expert in loving up rattlecan matte coats, how much of a pain is it to clean an airbrush after varnishing? I don’t really wanna mess with anything nastier than windex.

I pour some airbrush cleaner in, backflow and bubble it a bit, then spray it through. Do that twice.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Booley posted:

I pour some airbrush cleaner in, backflow and bubble it a bit, then spray it through. Do that twice.

I wonder if it's my technique but i do that and I still find that i need to strip and clean my brush before and after every session and sometimes in-between colours as well as it keeps getting clogged.

Do i need an ultrasonic cleaner?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

I wonder if it's my technique but i do that and I still find that i need to strip and clean my brush before and after every session and sometimes in-between colours as well as it keeps getting clogged.

It helps, I maybe put it in my ultrasonic cleaner every month or two. I find that as long as I make sure to flush the brush out after using it I rarely have problems.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
In about a week and a half, Badger will be having their birthday sale. Last year it was any airbrush, even their top of the line, for $54. Follow on Facebook for details.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

This is basically what I do with my Vallejo Mecha Matte stuff. I have an ultrasonic cleaner that I use occasionally.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Booley posted:

It helps, I maybe put it in my ultrasonic cleaner every month or two. I find that as long as I make sure to flush the brush out after using it I rarely have problems.

Do you put the whole thing in the ultrasonic cleaner or just the nozzle/regulator/cap? Does the ultrasonic have any effect on the rubber seals?

I've got a bottle of "Airbrush/spraygun restorer" that's supposed to completely dissolve all types of paint but it says not to get it on the rubber seals, and not to spray it through the brush.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Z the IVth posted:

I strip and clean my brush after every session because that's just good maintenance habits. As long as you're fully flushing each color with (at minimum) until it's spraying clear with no paint residue you should be fine.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Bucnasti posted:

Do you put the whole thing in the ultrasonic cleaner or just the nozzle/regulator/cap? Does the ultrasonic have any effect on the rubber seals?

I've got a bottle of "Airbrush/spraygun restorer" that's supposed to completely dissolve all types of paint but it says not to get it on the rubber seals, and not to spray it through the brush.

I disassemble it and drop all the pieces in. The mix is about 3:1 water:cleaner, using the iwata medea cleaner. I haven't had an issue with it eating the seals.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
An airbrush will change your life. I recommend Simple Green if you need to get out stubborn residue.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Between that and Vigilus, I'm suddenly wavering on whether or not I should stick with my planned Celestial Lions or swap over to the Fists. :ohdear:

Merry Hamsmas to all, and to all a sweet hamsmas!

Please stick with the Lions! Mostly because I've wanted to do Lions, and will never, ever get around to it.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Corrode posted:

Thanks for confirming the beta codex is a beta.

Happy to be of assistance.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Failson posted:

Please stick with the Lions! Mostly because I've wanted to do Lions, and will never, ever get around to it.
I'm sorry, I'm working on a Space Marine Heroes mini as a test Crimson Fists dude for my Oath this month, and I must admit the fact it's blue plastic means it seems like I can just skip out on the black basecoating - it definitely feels easier to paint than the Lions test model I did earlier this year.

But I'm thinking I might maybe do some kind of combined force - with Lions as an Indomitus Crusader detachment, and then a Liberation Force for the Fists. The Sons of Dorn stand shoulder to shoulder! Also, I did buy some Lions decals, so i might as well use them. Also I wound up buying some Black Reach transfers for the Fists (funnily enough, it also has a Fulminators emblem on there, which is a bit weird. At least I can use it in a Fortis Kill Team, I guess). Not sure what to do with the leftovers, though.

Also, you should definitely check out Spear of The Emperor, when it gets a general release if you want some more Lions goodness.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm sorry, I'm working on a Space Marine Heroes mini as a test Crimson Fists dude for my Oath this month, and I must admit the fact it's blue plastic means it seems like I can just skip out on the black basecoating - it definitely feels easier to paint than the Lions test model I did earlier this year.

But I'm thinking I might maybe do some kind of combined force - with Lions as an Indomitus Crusader detachment, and then a Liberation Force for the Fists. The Sons of Dorn stand shoulder to shoulder! Also, I did buy some Lions decals, so i might as well use them. Also I wound up buying some Black Reach transfers for the Fists (funnily enough, it also has a Fulminators emblem on there, which is a bit weird. At least I can use it in a Fortis Kill Team, I guess). Not sure what to do with the leftovers, though.

Also, you should definitely check out Spear of The Emperor, when it gets a general release if you want some more Lions goodness.

Even with the blue plastic you should be putting some sort of primer on the models before painting them. Citadel and Army Painter both make blue sprays.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Ghost Hand posted:

Happy to be of assistance.

Hey so, Mr. Insider Knowledge please, I don't suppose you'd have any idea if anything is planned for the Inquisition any time soon (or, you know, ever)? TIA

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I'm heading to gw, there's a post I can't find where this guy did this slick yellow armor effect by washing/glazing or something over a metallic base coat. Anyone remember what he used?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Giant Isopod posted:

Hey so, Mr. Insider Knowledge please, I don't suppose you'd have any idea if anything is planned for the Inquisition any time soon (or, you know, ever)? TIA

Nothing I am currently aware of.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Booley posted:

Even with the blue plastic you should be putting some sort of primer on the models before painting them. Citadel and Army Painter both make blue sprays.

That's a fair point, but I couldn't really prime it in cold weather (and the Conquest magazine says to do it that way, albeit with Macragge Blue). It seems to be working out OK, though. It's only a (test) model.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm heading to gw, there's a post I can't find where this guy did this slick yellow armor effect by washing/glazing or something over a metallic base coat. Anyone remember what he used?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823939&pagenumber=1299&perpage=40#post489633013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Very cool. I don't have matte varnish, is that necessary or just makes it easier? Is there a citital or vallejo product that works?