Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

For anyone that’s interested in Civ VI on the iPad, it’s on sale right now and all the DLC civs are rotating through being free. Every three days a new DLC will be free until they’ve all been free. I think the full game is $14.99 and it runs pretty well but it still doesn’t have Rise and Fall, and thanks to Aspyr we have no idea if/when it’s coming but I still enjoy it for what it is and figured I’d let y’all know. Could be a decent Christmas gift to someone with an iPad who’s relatively new to genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's a shame that there's no graphical part to the National Park. It'd be more fun to me if when I created it the game made a little "area of natural beauty" instead of just chucking a diamond around my stuff and calling it a day.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Is there a good out-of-game resource to learn from? I've played about 20 hours of civ 5 and so much of the new stuff in 6 isn't make sense to me.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0

SaturdayKnight posted:

(iPad version on sale)

Thanks for pointing this out. I know it’s behind on expansion packs and low res but this was my best bet to actually play Civ and this sale was a good excuse to pull the trigger. Now halfway through a bunch of Zulu early war antics.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

It's a shame that there's no graphical part to the National Park. It'd be more fun to me if when I created it the game made a little "area of natural beauty" instead of just chucking a diamond around my stuff and calling it a day.

If it weren't already an area of natural beauty then it wouldn't be a national park :colbert:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
nvm somehow the rise and fall expansion became unclicked in Steam.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 23, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I didn't see this mentioned but Gathering Storm is 15% off at GMG

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/sid-meiers-civilization-vi-gathering-storm-pc/

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
I just saw that rock bands (which already seem kinda dumb/too specific) require faith to build on that Well of Souls page.

Why?

I have the feeling that this expansion is going to add some cool ideas, all of which are at least slightly mucked up by their execution.

Staltran posted:

I was wondering this a while ago, and found out that you can't have a forest next to a lake. I have no idea why. I don't think it's mentioned in-game at all.

... the gently caress? Why?

Booyah- posted:

Is there a good out-of-game resource to learn from? I've played about 20 hours of civ 5 and so much of the new stuff in 6 isn't make sense to me.

If you've played 5, the major changes going into 6 are districts. Districts have adjacency bonuses based on nearby tiles, and someone posted an image explaining how to get the bonuses but I don't feel like looking for it. Beyond adjacency bonuses for the nearby tiles, the districts house the related buildings. A city's population limits how many districts you can have, so smaller cities can get one or two out, but they need to grow to be able to build more districts.

Aside from R&F stuff like golden ages, I think the other big thing to remember is that workers in 6 now have charges. You build tile improvements instantly, but the baseline number of charges a builder has is 3 to start. Certain civs/policy cards let you make builders with more charges.

I'd say watch some Youtube videos but honestly the only ones I've seen are Deity speed runs done by a guy that rightfully doesn't use those videos as a chance to explain mechanics. You're probably fine brute-forcing or wandering your way through a game on a lower difficulty like Chieftain. You can basically waste the first half of the game, figure out you've been in charge of a whole country at turn 257, and still manage to beat the AI with a hefty lead.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ghost Stromboli posted:

I'd say watch some Youtube videos but honestly the only ones I've seen are Deity speed runs done by a guy that rightfully doesn't use those videos as a chance to explain mechanics. You're probably fine brute-forcing or wandering your way through a game on a lower difficulty like Chieftain. You can basically waste the first half of the game, figure out you've been in charge of a whole country at turn 257, and still manage to beat the AI with a hefty lead.

To be honest I’d say anyone who’s played a bunch of prior civ games would be fine on any level up to the default (Prince I think?)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ghost Stromboli posted:

I just saw that rock bands (which already seem kinda dumb/too specific) require faith to build on that Well of Souls page.

Why?

My impression is that they just want to make sure that faith has uses all throughout the game so you don't pile up a big ol useless pile of it.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Clarste posted:

...a big ol useless pile of it.

My favorite is switching to theocracy and starting wars with the army I summoned out of thin air from a pair of tiny cities on a new continent. Gotta put that 13,000 faith I’ve accumulated from taking over religious civs to good use.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Clarste posted:

My impression is that they just want to make sure that faith has uses all throughout the game so you don't pile up a big ol useless pile of it.

I've been using it to buy great people since 5

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Taear posted:

They added a fence around it at least, with a ranger station, so better than the green line from before. Then again the ranger station and fence are basically taken from the Australian UI so you might have to have those to get the effect.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Chronojam posted:

I've been using it to buy great people since 5

In 6 that can cost 20k faith in the endgame, so it's nice to have some faith sinks for civs that have just accumulated a couple thousand.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Ghost Stromboli posted:

I have the feeling that this expansion is going to add some cool ideas, all of which are at least slightly mucked up by their execution.

You could just repost this statement every 14 months, and it would always be relevant.

Firaxis is so good at ruining good ideas through execution. Sometimes they will have a well-executed idea and have an emergency meeting to make sure that their idea is ruined before release.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So if you've been building a wonder but get beaten to it by another civ, what happens to all that production invested in it? Does it just vanish or what?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

fridge corn posted:

So if you've been building a wonder but get beaten to it by another civ, what happens to all that production invested in it? Does it just vanish or what?

half the accumulated production is salvaged and used for whatever you produce next. or at least that is what is supposed to happen, there was a bug where it didn't always work and i cant remember if it got fixed.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

HappyCamperGL posted:

half the accumulated production is salvaged and used for whatever you produce next. or at least that is what is supposed to happen, there was a bug where it didn't always work and i cant remember if it got fixed.

I'm playing on ipad and i don't seem to get anything if I miss out on a wonder even if I'm only a few turns from building it which is extremely bullshit imho

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

fridge corn posted:

I'm playing on ipad and i don't seem to get anything if I miss out on a wonder even if I'm only a few turns from building it which is extremely bullshit imho

iirc the bug was that the production from the wonder would only go towards whatever was next in the production queue. since there is no production queue without mods you could only get the boost if you switched out of the wonder production the turn before the ai completes its wonder. do mods work on the ipad? i think it works ok if you have a production queue mod, but ive not tested.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

HappyCamperGL posted:

iirc the bug was that the production from the wonder would only go towards whatever was next in the production queue. since there is no production queue without mods you could only get the boost if you switched out of the wonder production the turn before the ai completes its wonder. do mods work on the ipad? i think it works ok if you have a production queue mod, but ive not tested.

Holy poo poo that's incredible code work. They created a condition in which resources go towards a game play mechanic that they didn't implement at all.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I'm starting to see why civ6 is bad

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

What is really bad about it is that these flaws only get worse as you start to enjoy the game. The second you decide to wade more than one foot into the water, the laziness attacks you in the tiniest, barely noticeably ways that you cannot explain to someone else who has not made the same journey as you.

I often feel whiny and petulant when I complain about this game, but it deserves it.

chaosapiant posted:

Holy poo poo that's incredible code work. They created a condition in which resources go towards a game play mechanic that they didn't implement at all.

This would be a good time to point out that, until several months ago, Firaxis had misspelled "YIELDS" as "YEILDS" in several places, which was causing the AI to prioritize its entire domestic planning incorrectly. It was only discovered when a modder found it.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 26, 2018

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

The Human Crouton posted:

I often feel whiny and petulant when I complain about this game, but it deserves it.

We don't!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Sometimes when you get beaten to a wonder you'll get a message about some of the production being salvaged and you'll note the next thing you go to build there will take less time, but it's all very blink-and-you'll-miss-it and rather opaque. I don't know if I believe that stuff about the bug but I use mods that allow queues. What amazes me is that in civ 2 if I want to know where a certain wonder is I hit F7; in civ 6 you have to spot it on the map. Or scroll through dozens of notifications, maybe.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

What is really bad about it is that these flaws only get worse as you start to enjoy the game. The second you decide to wade more than one foot into the water, the laziness attacks you in the tiniest, barely noticeably ways that you cannot explain to someone else who has not made the same journey as you.

This would be a good time to point out that, until several months ago, Firaxis had misspelled "YIELDS" as "YEILDS" in several places, which was causing the AI to prioritize its entire domestic planning incorrectly. It was only discovered when a modder found it.

The whole project strikes me as comprising of a development team that doesn't talk to each other and is just 100 people doing 100 different things with no one bothering to make sure everyone's work is in sync with each other.

I have no idea how games like Civ 5 and Civ 6 can continue to be plagued by so many obvious technical issues that just won't get fixed.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

programmers aren't free and people still buy the games

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Prav posted:

programmers aren't free and people still buy the games

The exception of course being Bethesda, whose players make up most of the QA team and whose modders will fix all their bugs.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Ragnar34 posted:

The exception of course being Bethesda, whose players make up most of the QA team and whose modders will fix all their bugs.

Yeah, uh, about that...

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Never play an MMO.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Marmaduke! posted:

Sometimes when you get beaten to a wonder you'll get a message about some of the production being salvaged and you'll note the next thing you go to build there will take less time, but it's all very blink-and-you'll-miss-it and rather opaque. I don't know if I believe that stuff about the bug but I use mods that allow queues. What amazes me is that in civ 2 if I want to know where a certain wonder is I hit F7; in civ 6 you have to spot it on the map. Or scroll through dozens of notifications, maybe.

Speaking of spotting it on the map, I like that you can see how far built a wonder is (almost down to the hammer) when someone else is building it, but I don't like the fact you can see that through the fog of war. It feels like a missed opportunity, to me, to give scouting (and spying) that extra usefulness - to keep an eye on your wonder rivals.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Speaking of spotting it on the map, I like that you can see how far built a wonder is (almost down to the hammer) when someone else is building it, but I don't like the fact you can see that through the fog of war. It feels like a missed opportunity, to me, to give scouting (and spying) that extra usefulness - to keep an eye on your wonder rivals.

Wait, what? Where is that visible? I've played Civ 6 so many times and I never noticed. That would have really helped my wonder building strategy.

Also, for those who have the mod allowing a production queue, you can switch between buildings/units/other wonders if someone beats you to the wonder you were building. I thought you could do it in stock Civ 6, too, though.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 27, 2018

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ibntumart posted:

Wait, what? Where is that visible? I've played Civ 6 so many times and I never noticed. That would have really helped my wonder building strategy.

Also, for that we who have the mod allowing a production queue, you can switch between buildings/units/other wonders if someone beats you to the wonder you were building. I thought you could do it in stock Civ 6, too, though.

Right on the map, at least the 3D version. Obviously in the board-game view you can't see poo poo, but you can reliably spy in 3D map mode. You can see the wonder physically being built and they set so many minute stages for the animation that a 10-hammer difference on late game wonders is enough to tick it forward another "frame". He's complaining that you can see it even when covered by fog of war if you've revealed the map previously, it will update entirely reliably even through the fog and just show the wonder in sepia instead of full color.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Marmaduke! posted:

What amazes me is that in civ 2 if I want to know where a certain wonder is I hit F7; in civ 6 you have to spot it on the map. Or scroll through dozens of notifications, maybe.

I actually started a mod that will give you this info, but it's on pause until GS comes out in case they add it themselves(lol), or there are enough changes in the files to render my current work useless.

It's a lot of work though because I dont just want to show who built it, I want to give the player info on whether they should build it.

So it has to show already built wonders in the tech tree, or what turn the wonder was started if you have the visibility to know it was started.

Similar % done info would have to be shown on the production screen so you can analyze whether or not you should start.

Finally, I need to see if I can tie into graphic changes on the map to get the exact percentage a wonder is finished. This would allow you to actually know the near exact number of turns left or hammers per turn being put into the opponent wonder.

All of this is information available to the player, if the player kept a pad and paper around and checked every corner of the visible map, and did their own calculations every turn.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

fridge corn posted:

I'm starting to see why civ6 is bad

we warned you brah

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I thought wonder production was just wasted and that was intended? Or did that get changed later?
It was definitely the case when the game was new.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
It was added in a patch.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

However it is working now, they had always intended to have incomplete wonders provide some kind of compensation. Before vanilla was released there was a builder action available when the unit was positioned over an unfinished wonder called "scavenge wonder" or something of the like.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Why are you wasting hammers on wonders? Build units.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Oh also you get a free road at some point while trying to build a wonder on its hex, so even if you don't get the wonder you get the road. That's gotta be worth a couple of hunnerd hammers by itself (if the price of a military engineer is anything to go by).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pewdiepie posted:

Why are you wasting hammers on wonders? Build units.

Because I already built my unstoppable two archers and a warrior like 100 turns ago.