Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This weird gaslighting that everyone actually loved the prequels and this youtuber made people hate them is the dumbest thing.

It’s literally a conspiracy theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It’s not “everyone liked them until RLM made everyone hate them”, it’s that the idea that everybody hated the prequels has been ridiculously overstated for nearly a decade now. People on the Internet have just pointed at RLM for the last 10 years without really thinking about it and they’ll do the same for the next decade about the sequel movies. (The main difference is that the positions are reversed in respect of the prequels and sequels; now that the sequels exist for the majority to dislike, much of the illusory anti-prequel sentiment has dissipated.)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

This weird gaslighting that everyone actually loved the prequels and this youtuber made people hate them is the dumbest thing.

yeah it's pretty hilarious. i remember seeing it at 14 and being in serious denial walking out of the theatre over how bad phantom menace was.

it wouldn't have gone viral if everyone liked the movies until they watched the reviews. the reactions would've been who are these assholes.

forget it chuck, it's cd.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

CharlestheHammer posted:

The prequels were bad. Like that's a thing I thought even before RLM did their thing. I fell asleep during Phantom menace and me and my ex- would mock all those terrible lines from grown up Anakin. We also thought he was kinda very whiny. The reason we were so "WE LOVE THEM" back them was probably because we fell in a weird nerd consumer rush fueled by a "new star war movies yay!" sentiment and a very smart marketing campaign.

:shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah it's pretty hilarious. i remember seeing it at 14 and being in serious denial walking out of the theatre over how bad phantom menace was.

it wouldn't have gone viral if everyone liked the movies until they watched the reviews. the reactions would've been who are these assholes.

forget it chuck, it's cd.

Yeah people go to reinforce their views not look for new ones. I guess it’s just people who need validation for liking a movie. You can just like it it’s fine, no need to make poo poo up

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Prequels are good and people who hate them a lot still today are weirdoes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they're only good because they gave us rlm :)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Kate Winslet's left booby?

her babysitter

left booby tho that was the one that was away from the Cameron as she reclined

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thanks thread for making me feel old. Went to see PM with my 5 or 6 old kid 20 years ago. When you get old, you start to calculate dates and ages with math and round up or down depending on the situation.

But with that said, seeing the opening sequence for IV was pretty mind-blowing as a toddler when released.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Scour all Star Wars from the collective culture except for Empire Strikes Back and call it a day, world peace finally achieved.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Why do studios even both producing terrible new films to mock when we're too busy discussing bad movies that came out in loving 2005 for multiple pages.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I mean, whether you like the prequels or not, there are so many weirdo choices made throughout them that they remain evergreen in cinema discussion. Truly “bad” movies are often so devoid of a voice that they are forgotten as quickly as the credits come up. Whether Lucas succeeded in his intentions is up for debate, but there is a lot to talk about within the films themselves.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Only way I'll bother with a Star Wars sequel is if a character named Kylo Stimpy shows up

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

I mean, whether you like the prequels or not, there are so many weirdo choices made throughout them that they remain evergreen in cinema discussion. Truly “bad” movies are often so devoid of a voice that they are forgotten as quickly as the credits come up. Whether Lucas succeeded in his intentions is up for debate, but there is a lot to talk about within the films themselves.

He spent a lot of time, energy, money and compute on those.

That is not disputable.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

syscall girl posted:

He spent a lot of time, energy, money and compute on those.

That is not disputable.

The third act of TPM made full use of the power of the PlayStation 2.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I saw Aquaman and spider-verse, so here are some thoughts:
Sorry Keanu, I love you but Replicas looks boring as hell, like less bloody Robocop
Wonder Park is billing itself as the movie where John Oliver as a porcupine faces off against zombie chimpanzees
I saw more trailers but I forgot them except Glass, which looks pretty fun.

syscall girl posted:

never forget blue leader or gold leader they died like super good pilots

for our freedom

rip porkins

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah people go to reinforce their views not look for new ones. I guess it’s just people who need validation for liking a movie. You can just like it it’s fine, no need to make poo poo up

Ebert was the biggest critic of his day and loved episode I. I guess he's gaslighting you from beyond the grave.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-Ray Pecs posted:

rip porkins

Okay, here's the idea: A New Hope plays as normal, but Luke is shot down by Darth Vader and Porkins becomes the new hero in the next ones.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Can’t bootkins the Hootkins

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Ebert was the biggest critic of his day and loved episode I. I guess he's gaslighting you from beyond the grave.

I mean I don’t think I said nobody liked it but I guess you forgot that in your desperate attempt to own me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

not trying to own anyone, just pointing out there were differing opinions then as there are now. No one is gaslighting anyone here, I was making a light joke at the expense of the first post on the page. Sorry if it came off douchey.

e: and to be fair, he does make concessions in his review for Episode I, and biases his review for episode II because of a bad projection screening, but then comes back around for episode III.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 26, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's not that "everyone actually loved the prequels," it's that most people who saw them enjoyed them at the time and then went on with their lives.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

All I know is when I first saw TPM I was ten, and I enjoyed it. When they rereleased the movie again in 2012 I thought “Here’s my chance to see if it’s really as bad as people say.” And I found that there was indeed some very stupid moments in that film.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I remember liking TPM ok when it came out. Midichlorians was kinda strange but just watching the movie for the first time it was like “eh, ok” and not the white hot nerd rage thing it was on the internet. Episode II with angsty Anakin and your skin is rough like sand or w/e was a bit much but I still enjoyed it. Episode III I recall being pretty done with whiny Anakin going into it, and thinking the Yoda fight was really weird, but overall it was pretty cool, especially the fight on Mustafar. I need to rewatch them because I don’t think I’ve seen them since they came out.

There were some fun video games around the time of Ep I that I played a bunch of. The podracing game and a beat em up that took you through the plot of Ep I as a Jedi.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dren posted:

There were some fun video games around the time of Ep I that I played a bunch of. The podracing game and a beat em up that took you through the plot of Ep I as a Jedi.
"YERRR A NO GOOD KILLER!"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean if you want a positive the episode 3 tie in is objectively the best lightsaber dueling sim out there

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
As I remember it, when the prequels were coming out, a lot more people vocally hated them than vocally enjoyed them, and the people who vocally enjoyed them were generally obsessive Star Wars fans who owned, like, giant licensed nerd books full of schematics for fictional spaceships from the Star Wars universe. Even they treated liking the prequels as something to be embarrassed about; they'd defend them but, y'know - defensively, like, a "hey, there's nothing wrong with liking something bad every once in a while" tone. The people who were loudest about hating the prequels were definitely aging Star Wars fans whining about how George Lucas ruined their childhood, but "the prequels are really bad" was the mainstream never-really-got-that-invested-in-Star-Wars opinion.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

gotta be honest, the last few pages make getting into star wars seem like an exhausting endeavor.

i saw rogue one two months ago and, having not seen anything else in the grand universe, appreciated it being largely self-contained

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

gotta be honest, the last few pages make getting into star wars seem like an exhausting endeavor.

i saw rogue one two months ago and, having not seen anything else in the grand universe, appreciated it being largely self-contained

I mean just watch the films and avoid fandoms. It’s not hard

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

not trying to own anyone, just pointing out there were differing opinions then as there are now. No one is gaslighting anyone here, I was making a light joke at the expense of the first post on the page. Sorry if it came off douchey.

e: and to be fair, he does make concessions in his review for Episode I, and biases his review for episode II because of a bad projection screening, but then comes back around for episode III.

i came around for iii

there was something I needed and it delivered the whole package

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if you want a positive the episode 3 tie in is objectively the best lightsaber dueling sim out there

The Episode I pod racing game is objectively one of the best Star Wars games out there.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Probably the best advice ever given on these forums.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

"YERRR A NO GOOD KILLER!"

"Better stand back, mister, cos I'm about to SLASH... ALL MY PRICES!"

21 Muns posted:

As I remember it, when the prequels were coming out, a lot more people vocally hated them than vocally enjoyed them, and the people who vocally enjoyed them were generally obsessive Star Wars fans who owned, like, giant licensed nerd books full of schematics for fictional spaceships from the Star Wars universe. Even they treated liking the prequels as something to be embarrassed about; they'd defend them but, y'know - defensively, like, a "hey, there's nothing wrong with liking something bad every once in a while" tone. The people who were loudest about hating the prequels were definitely aging Star Wars fans whining about how George Lucas ruined their childhood, but "the prequels are really bad" was the mainstream never-really-got-that-invested-in-Star-Wars opinion.

I think things are potentially skewed because while the prequels were coming out, stuff like the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings movies and the first two Sam Raimi Spider-Mans were vastly more popular than Star Wars, whereas today, it's closer to where things were in 1977-1983 and about the only thing that's consistently bigger than Star Wars is the Marvel movies. Would you concur that more people vocally hate the sequels than vocally enjoy them?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Episode 1 is the only Star War my mom liked and she bought our family a Jar Jar alarm clock so that's pretty cool.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

21 Muns posted:

As I remember it, when the prequels were coming out, a lot more people vocally hated them than vocally enjoyed them, and the people who vocally enjoyed them were generally obsessive Star Wars fans who owned, like, giant licensed nerd books full of schematics for fictional spaceships from the Star Wars universe.

Some people said Jake Lloyd was an unconvincing child actor, and there were a handful of hot takes about how Jar-Jar wasn't ideal enough a minority or whatever. But, same as now, the only people who were that vocal about Star Wars were the kind of people who'd get that vocal about Star Wars.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Abso-loving-lutely.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I remember my mom asking my dad and me if we wanted to see episode 3 when it came out. We both declined on the basis we'd seen the other two and didn't expect better.

I did have a teacher who loved episode 1. He was super excited for episode 2. The thing he mentioned most often was how every scene was going to be digitally altered in some way.

He once got second place in a star wars costume contest by dressing up as young George Lucas.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t see much evidence for the Republic in general being evil or whatever. The closest is probably the third movie but it’s kind of underdeveloped

Not evil, but ineffectual- it's a lot of well meaning people who aren't really able to stand up to what's happening.

As to the new trilogy, yeah there's a very vocal dislike crowd but also a lot of vocal supporters and it's... hard to tell really. I feel like these days "consensus" on movies is slipperier than ever. Sure, Solo kinda flopped and some have blamed that on residual word of mouth from The Last Jedi, but that's kinda letting Solo off easy. That movie had its own problems.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Lord posted:

As to the new trilogy, yeah there's a very vocal dislike crowd but also a lot of vocal supporters and it's... hard to tell really. I feel like these days "consensus" on movies is slipperier than ever. Sure, Solo kinda flopped and some have blamed that on residual word of mouth from The Last Jedi, but that's kinda letting Solo off easy. That movie had its own problems.

I believe the consensus on CineD more or less reflects the broader audience, but it's a sort of fun-house mirror reflection where it's the same thing with a different shape, if that makes sense. For instance, most people don't like Last Jedi; most of CineD doesn't like Last Jedi; but the latter group aren't going to go for "MUH CANON! :qq:" as their first critique while many of the former group will.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TLJ is a tough one. It had some of the best scenes from the entire series. It also has a lot of dumb scenes, and really bad pacing in some places. Of course it's hard to have a productive argument out it because the most vocal TLJ critics mostly just hate women and minorities.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The majority consensus among people who have seen the prequel trilogy is that they are not good at all, and the only reason the films themselves got any lip service past their respective years of release is because they belong to the biggest single-IP franchise in the world.

The mid-90s to mid-aughts was a golden age for Star wars video games though, imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Rogue Squadron was so legit