Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Risc1911 posted:

Not many countries left where mining is profitable at $3700

brb setting up a mining farm in kuwait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Brb setting up mining farm in Venezuela.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

brb pooping

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

TVsVeryOwn posted:

brb pooping

But you repeat previous posts

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

poverty goat posted:

it's pretty much the same as if they sent him a gift card. it's his, and if he doesn't use it the store will just take the money

Nah this is more like buying a gift card at the counter, they'll tell you they'll send it, but if $100 in total gift cards for that person doesn't happen in a specific time period they just pocket the whole thing and never tell anyone.

It's shady as gently caress. If it's not intentional, it's a sign that the people who designed it are complete morons. Neither one is good.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 26, 2018

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

It's shady as gently caress. If it's not intentional, it's a sign that the people who designed it are complete morons. Neither one is good.

It's intentional. If it's not, the fact that their reaction was to defend their bullshit grift system, rather than apologize, makes the distinction academic.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

e: missed this page.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

TVsVeryOwn posted:

brb pooping

Wow, check out the hash rate on these buttcoins!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
the best bit of the Brave thread is that Eich is still loving going

like, everyone on SA appreciates the urge to defend yourself rigorously, in carefully worked out detail, because we too are horrible nerds

but when you spend five days including most of Christmas itself sending out hundreds of tweets as to why you are right and all the people who think you're a scammy crook are technically incorrect, you could be Brendan Eich

he is certain that if he just adds another few hundred pages of philosophical explanation, including allusions to Hume and Plato and quotes in Latin, he will finally convince anyone reading that opt-out solicitation of donations for unaware third parties is actually not just good but noble, and if you disagree you're a Google shill

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Brendan really can’t help himself. I worked with him for ten years and I don’t know that I ever saw a graceful retreat.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I was at the datacenter we rent space in today when I noticed some new hardware.

Rack mount enclosure with no lid, stuffed with 8 1070s, plenty of wiring bodges to go with it.

These were up higher in the cage:

I’m guessing those are ASIC miners.

Sorry for the photo quality, shooting through rack doors doesn’t help focus. I have to think that this is someone that works at the datacenter though, there’s no way you can rent an entire rack at a colo and come anywhere close to breaking even.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

H2SO4 posted:

I was at the datacenter we rent space in today when I noticed some new hardware.

Rack mount enclosure with no lid, stuffed with 8 1070s, plenty of wiring bodges to go with it.

These were up higher in the cage:

I’m guessing those are ASIC miners.

Sorry for the photo quality, shooting through rack doors doesn’t help focus. I have to think that this is someone that works at the datacenter though, there’s no way you can rent an entire rack at a colo and come anywhere close to breaking even.

I'm surprised that you were allowed to take a camera phone into the data hall, most usually forbid it. It could be a Bitcoin truther who is banking on holding that Bitcoin they mine in the hopes that Bitcoin goes back to the moon somehow, though I doubt it's someone who works in the data hall because a rack is expensive and no single employee is gonna have enough money to do that. They can maybe slide a server they own in along with other people's poo poo, but a Bitcoin mining setup is unlikely.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 26, 2018

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

orange juche posted:

I'm surprised that you were allowed to take a camera phone into the data hall, most usually forbid it.

This is a small operation, not one of the giant providers you might be thinking of. Perfect place to drop some lab gear, or some miners i guess.

And I don't mean that someone who works in the datacenter is paying for the rack, but rather pulling a "hey since there's nothing in that rack yet can I use it?"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What are the odds that that guy actually gets any coins from mining? The odds on any one miner winning the bitcoin lottery must be huge.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That mining pool is getting mighty small, and he may be part of a larger pool anyways to reduce the odds of missing out

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

orange juche posted:

I'm surprised that you were allowed to take a camera phone into the data hall, most usually forbid it. It could be a Bitcoin truther who is banking on holding that Bitcoin they mine in the hopes that Bitcoin goes back to the moon somehow, though I doubt it's someone who works in the data hall because a rack is expensive and no single employee is gonna have enough money to do that. They can maybe slide a server they own in along with other people's poo poo, but a Bitcoin mining setup is unlikely.

Plenty of colos are more fly by night than they act, totally plausible imo that a random manager has the crypto bug and hooked up a few on the DL

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

orange juche posted:

It could be a Bitcoin truther who is banking on holding that Bitcoin they mine in the hopes that Bitcoin goes back to the moon somehow

Even the most deluded coincels should be able to do the basic math that tells them that even if you think the coins are going to go back up, you're better off directly buying them instead of slowly converting electricity and hardware depreciation into coin shavings.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

H2SO4 posted:

I worked at a datacenter where every employee was allowed to have a tower colo'd for free. You'd walk past the employee row and get blasted with super hot air because every single tower there was mining.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

I worked at a datacenter where every employee was allowed to have a tower colo'd for free. You'd walk past the employee row and get blasted with super hot air because every single tower there was mining.

That's a hell of a fringe benefit, I wish HP had allowed me the same thing.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

junan_paalla posted:

Even the most deluded coincels should be able to do the basic math that tells them that even if you think the coins are going to go back up, you're better off directly buying them instead of slowly converting electricity and hardware depreciation into coin shavings.

if you believe they'll be worth millions of dollars in 2019 and you're just stockpiling them it makes perfect sense to keep the mining rig going

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 26, 2018

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

poverty goat posted:

if you believe they'll be worth millions of dollars in 2019 and you're just stockpiling them it makes perfect sense to keep the mining rig going

Why does it make sense when you could get more coins for the same outlay by just buying them ?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

poverty goat posted:

If it costs you $6000 to mine coins currently selling for $4000 why not just spend the $6000 buying 50% more coins?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Splicer posted:

If it costs you $6000 to mine coins currently selling for $4000 why not just spend the $6000 buying 50% more coins?

You lose on every coin, but you make it up in volume.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

jre posted:

Why does it make sense when you could get more coins for the same outlay by just buying them ?

How else could you be certain your coins are irresponsibly sourced??

^Pretty sure you can buy butts in much higher volume than you can mine them. Lots of people holding bags would love to give you butts for 50% cheaper than you could mine them.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

jre posted:

because you think they'll be worth millions in 2019

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Splicer posted:

Stop making sense.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's a pun, btw.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Because BTC are worth cents. So stop making them.

You see?

I have to spell it out because there are idiots in this thread.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Actually it's a double pun.

Stop making scents. Stinky posts. poo poo posts.

Yep.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

jre posted:

Big Gubment

Edit: I know a coiner who is convinced he doesn't have to mention any of his mining to the tax man.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Big Gubment

Edit: I know a coiner who is convinced he doesn't have to mention any of his mining to the tax man.

I saw a headline recently about how everyone is declaring their crypto now that it's all losses

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

jre posted:

The people who are dumb enough to mine aren't making the most rational decisions

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

Because bitcoin gives you brain worms and makes you incapable of understanding simple maths. Case in point: poverty goat, ham sandwiches.

The only way it could make sense for the colo people is if they somehow also didn't have to pay electricity. Which might be the case if they just put in the miners without telling anybody.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

klafbang posted:

Because bitcoin gives you brain worms and makes you incapable of understanding simple maths. Case in point: poverty goat, ham sandwiches.

The only way it could make sense for the colo people is if they somehow also didn't have to pay electricity. Which might be the case if they just put in the miners without telling anybody.

am I mining bitcoins now? i didnt realize

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

poverty goat posted:

am I mining bitcoins now? i didnt realize

Yeah. And you just sold some and made phat stax of $$$.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

poverty goat posted:

because you think they'll be worth millions in 2019

Splicer posted:

Like, why settle for millions when you can have millions and a half?

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
3750 is the hard stable floor as even any idiot could tell you

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
For certain technical reasons, actually 3831 is the new hard stable floor - the price can literally only go up. This is a sentiment shared by even the most simpleminded investor.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
I’ve rerun the numbers and the underlying technicals have shifted a bit - 3810 is, as even the most foolhardy investor knows, the absolute lowest possible price for a bitcoin given the fundamentals of guessing big numbers with graphics cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's some mighty fine posting. Sorry to interrupt.