Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Try installing the Plex retro channel?

Otherwise hit up Plex support, they're actually pretty good at these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Mammal Sauce posted:

Anyone know of a fix other than buying a new Roku after the latest update? We have 4 and the two Roku TVs and the Roku Express work fine. The Roku SE downstairs where I watch TV at night after the kids go to sleep worked great until the latest update and now does the same thing every time I try to start Plex:

• Roku logo screen appears for 15-30 seconds
  • Screen fades to black
  • Roku logo appears again
  • Fades to black
  • Returns to Roku home screen

Plex retro or, the Express is $25 USD on Amazon. Or for $20 more you can do even better.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ixian posted:

My AsRock board has an active 50mm cooler; I replaced it with a Gelid 50mm direct mounted which keeps it around 72c under full load and 38c idle and is also quieter. Definitely watch your temps with this CPU.

Nice setup! These are great cpus for home servers between the low power draw, tons of SATA connectors and mITX form factors.

Related, is it worth sticking older GPUs in a plex server (running on a container) for transcoding? I have a GTX 970 and was thinking if and when I upgrade it could be useful in that. My current unraid/plex cpu does support quicksync (i5-2500K) too I believe..

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Benefit in what sense? If you're running out of CPU horsepower, then yes, but otherwise I wouldn't.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah like is it actually worth the power it sucks up to use it.. Most likely not in my case as I don’t transcode much stuff, most everything is 720/1080p BR rips and it plays direct to an appletv at 1080p so it takes minimal horsepower.

I’ll probably stick it in the system when I do upgrade and do some benchmarking along with kill-a-watt measurements..

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you aren't even transcoding, there's nothing for it to reduce power draw for. Would definitely be interested in seeing power usage during transcodes between the two, but I wonder if it will be significant compared to the overall system load.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Keep in mind that if you have the processor to do cpu transcoding you should do cpu transcoding. GPU transcoding is faster but looks worse and compresses worse.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Dren posted:

Keep in mind that if you have the processor to do cpu transcoding you should do cpu transcoding. GPU transcoding is faster but looks worse and compresses worse.

True statement which makes no sense when you think about it. Baffles me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

derk posted:

The gpu has very specific profiles it can encode to, if you fit it screams, if you don't it's just like how your TV has hardware decoding and if it isn't exactly right it transcodes. Video rendering is incredibly specific to the point where people saying "my 1080p rip doesn't work" isn't even 10% of the information needed to know if a specific file will work with a specific device. Much of it can be assumed but there are a lot of things that can go wrong.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

priznat posted:

Nice setup! These are great cpus for home servers between the low power draw, tons of SATA connectors and mITX form factors.

Related, is it worth sticking older GPUs in a plex server (running on a container) for transcoding? I have a GTX 970 and was thinking if and when I upgrade it could be useful in that. My current unraid/plex cpu does support quicksync (i5-2500K) too I believe..

Generally, no, unless you have an older CPU and a GPU decent enough to do it laying around and want to use it as a stopgap vs. updating your system.

I've never been a fan of it, for a lot of reasons already covered. It's not the solution a lot of folks believe it is for a Plex/Emby server.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

derk posted:

It makes sense just fine. CPU encoder implementations are flexible. They allow nuanced tradeoffs between speed, quality, and compression. GPU implementations are specialized for speed at the cost of quality and compression. They simply fit different needs. GPU is great if you want to stream to twitch. In that situation you likely care more about not loading your CPU with encoding and slowing down your game than you do about having a great, well compressed picture. For plex, CPU encoding is ideal because you want your movie to look as good as possible.

Personally, I transcode my media ahead of time so that it is at a good quality/compression tradeoff and will direct play on most of my devices. People here have given me grief about it but it works great, looks great, and my server rarely transcodes so I can support a good amount of simultaneous streams.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dren posted:

Personally, I transcode my media ahead of time so that it is at a good quality/compression tradeoff and will direct play on most of my devices. People here have given me grief about it but it works great, looks great, and my server rarely transcodes so I can support a good amount of simultaneous streams.

I genuinely wish there was a plex pass feature to disable transcoding. Just refuse to play if a given file cannot be directstreamed. (Remuxing containers is basically free, but if it disabled that as well whatever.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My 3rd party client would put a (T) next to anything in the play screen that would be transcoded so you knew what to expect. A useful feature.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

I genuinely wish there was a plex pass feature to disable transcoding. Just refuse to play if a given file cannot be directstreamed. (Remuxing containers is basically free, but if it disabled that as well whatever.)

Some clients can do that I believe. I don't think there's a server setting.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone for the help with 2160p rips and my ATV 4K. I have added MOAR CORES to the Plex LXC container so it can transcode if needed.

I really hope the Plex ATV app and server keep evolving so it Direct plays with other containers but in the meantime thanks for the obvious tip of remuxing.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Am I missing something here?:

On my tablet I tell plex to sync a movie from my htpc, it starts transcoding but seems to pause if my tablet leaves my wifi or otherwise goes offline? Now I understand this during the download portion, but why doesnt plex keep working on the transcode on the server (htpc) side while my tablet is unavailable?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

cr0y posted:

Am I missing something here?:

On my tablet I tell plex to sync a movie from my htpc, it starts transcoding but seems to pause if my tablet leaves my wifi or otherwise goes offline? Now I understand this during the download portion, but why doesnt plex keep working on the transcode on the server (htpc) side while my tablet is unavailable?

Because the Plex devs abandoned the Plex sync feature.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

teagone posted:

Lovely, remote streaming and sync'ing is all I really want to work well, I still use kodi on my htpc as I prefer how customizable it is, but when on the road I can tolerate a more watered down experience. I nearly bought the $150 lifetime thing and am now glad I didnt.

Is emby's sync setup any better?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

teagone posted:

They did?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's amazing how the main draw to paid subscriptions is the ability to sync, and its the one feature that's consistently been terrible.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Try installing the Plex retro channel?

Didn't Plex just remove this?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's amazing how the main draw to paid subscriptions is the ability to sync, and its the one feature that's consistently been terrible.

Which is crazy to me because of all the technical magic plex has to manage, telling a sever to transcode a file and then copy it has to be stupid simple.

Im gonna tinker for one more night then i'm cancelling my monthly. As stated sync was 1 of 2 total things I wanted to work well. Idgi.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

cr0y posted:

Lovely, remote streaming and sync'ing is all I really want to work well, I still use kodi on my htpc as I prefer how customizable it is, but when on the road I can tolerate a more watered down experience. I nearly bought the $150 lifetime thing and am now glad I didnt.

kri kri posted:

They did?

I'm just being hyperbolic. But my experience with Plex Sync, up until now, is it works less than half the time. Although I did just sync a movie now, but it was stuck at like 50% downloading for the longest time. I just left it and it eventually sync'd, no idea when it actually completed though.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 3, 2019

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
My plex sync experience has been pretty bad. I just leave my phone unlocked and unable to go to sleep w/ plex open until thhe movies eventually sync. I *think* it will do 50% progress without you keeping the app open, that’s the server doing the transcode. But once it’s doing the transfer you have to keep the app open. This might be an iOS thing though, iOS doesn’t let a lot happen in the background.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I sync music via the plex app, and videos using infuse. Not great but works 100% of the time for me.

I think they renewed their focus on getting sync to work (lol)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Dren posted:

My plex sync experience has been pretty bad. I just leave my phone unlocked and unable to go to sleep w/ plex open until thhe movies eventually sync. I *think* it will do 50% progress without you keeping the app open, that’s the server doing the transcode. But once it’s doing the transfer you have to keep the app open. This might be an iOS thing though, iOS doesn’t let a lot happen in the background.

In my experience it pauses the transcode or otherwise errors out if the device goes to sleep despite no technical reason the target sync device needing to be available during the transcode portion. Hot garbage.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

kri kri posted:

I sync music via the plex app, and videos using infuse. Not great but works 100% of the time for me.

I think they renewed their focus on getting sync to work (lol)

I've never used the sync feature.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I haven't had the need to use Sync for myself, but my family members who've used it haven't had any issues.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It seems to be broken as of some of the newer versions of the sever

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I've found if you tell Plex to transcode a version ahead of time, then add them to plex sync, it works much better.

For the kid's iPads I just mainly use Waltr now.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I plug in phone, set to not sleep, then when sync is complete in morning set it back to normal sleep settings.

Works almost every time. Worth the hassle for me (but I would much appreciate any improvement here!!)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

sellouts posted:

I plug in phone, set to not sleep, then when sync is complete in morning set it back to normal sleep settings.

Works almost every time. Worth the hassle for me (but I would much appreciate any improvement here!!)

Im not 100% sure but i think this will dramatically reduce the life of your screen.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Even with a non oled screen? Weird. Not the same as watching the same media for the same amount of time?

But yeah I don’t sync that often, but when I do it’s like 200gb of stuff :/

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

sellouts posted:

Even with a non oled screen? Weird. Not the same as watching the same media for the same amount of time?

But yeah I don’t sync that often, but when I do it’s like 200gb of stuff :/

I honestly dont know enough about the current screen technology but I somehow ruined a screen doing something similar a few years back. And being on over night is like 8-10 hours of a static image and not 2 hours of motion like watching a movie. Just something you might want to look into.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Weird, thanks. My 7 series has no problems 2 years later.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I've found if you tell Plex to transcode a version ahead of time, then add them to plex sync, it works much better.

Sounds like they have your "sync" act just like a play-back client, which when it drops off it sees no reason to finish out the transcode. Seems like if they moved it to the "versions" code-path it would be a much smoother experience.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

It's been a year or so since I've needed to do it, but queuing up a list to sync and letting it run with the app open was the only way I could get it to work for iOS. I don't use it a ton, but it would be nice if it wasn't such a puzzle to make it work.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Is there a way to share live TV/DVR stuff without doing the Plex Home crap? Seems to needlessly complicate things as it is.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

pzy posted:

Is there a way to share live TV/DVR stuff without doing the Plex Home crap? Seems to needlessly complicate things as it is.

Should be under 'Restrictions' where you can allow Sync privileges per user, at least according to this reddit thread that's a year old: https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/7pim8n/allow_access_to_live_tv_friends_plex_version/

Not sure if it's changed since then since I don't use the live TV/DVR features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

teagone posted:

Should be under 'Restrictions' where you can allow Sync privileges per user, at least according to this reddit thread that's a year old: https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/7pim8n/allow_access_to_live_tv_friends_plex_version/

Not sure if it's changed since then since I don't use the live TV/DVR features.

I think it was only briefly available to non-Home accounts. I know I only have it as a share option to Home users, not to others.

I got the impression from some forums that it was pulled quickly because their legal team may have realized the can of worms that was being opened.