Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Endorph posted:

uhhh.... what?

fgo isnt a game about Content, its a game about story. the gameplay is kinda fun but its not like theres any endgame loop to sustain or any massive dungeons we're missing out on. it's a visual novel with a slot machine attached. its not like we're missing out on any transformative gameplay, and I'd rather they take their time to translate things. Who here is crying tears of blood because we don't have *checks notes* the button that tells you how many horseshoes you have when a horseshoe drops

the story is the content

if FGO in Japan shuts down forever a year and a half from now, then even the current Japanese stuff probably won't ever be translated, let alone everything that comes out in JP between now and then. unless they keep the global servers running after Japan shuts down, but that seems unlikely

it's kind of a pointless hypothetical since FGO is supposedly raking in the cash right now, but it'll likely end someday, and if we're still 2 years behind when that day comes then we're still going to miss out on 2 years of story. and it sucks to think about the fact that we are inevitably, no matter what, going to miss out on a bunch of scenes, events, Servants, and possibly even some actual story chapters (even though it's probably going to be years before that starts to really be a legit concern)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Tae posted:

They don't care because SK is in direct competition with the japanese version since they're a third party that is licensing FGO. The reason they speed things up is because otherwise their player base would just play the JP version next door.

lmao that sounds stupid and horrible

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Vengarr posted:

Actually, I think he’s talking about Caesar

Man I guess I’ve read the wrong stories about Caesar. When’d he get Frisky with the Fae?

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Endorph posted:

wait until this dude finds out f/sn, ccc, and f/ha had multiple writers too

What dude? And cool, they managed to keep it in a homogeneous style then? Huge props to them, and they're still structured differently compared to FGO.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

it's kind of a pointless hypothetical since FGO is supposedly raking in the cash right now, but it'll likely end someday, and if we're still 2 years behind when that day comes then we're still going to miss out on 2 years of story. and it sucks to think about the fact that we are inevitably, no matter what, going to miss out on a bunch of scenes, events, Servants, and possibly even some actual story chapters (even though it's probably going to be years before that starts to really be a legit concern)
It's not like when FGO's story is over they're going to immediately shutter it and initiate the termination protocol that executes all current and former employees. The far more likely scenario is that when JP FGO 'ends' they'll keep it in a maintenance mode with reruns and occasional new events/servants but no real new story content, which would give plenty of room for NA to catchup. And even if JP FGO just shuts its doors twenty-five seconds after the story ends, there'd be no reason for them to not let the NA version continue going until the end too so long as it's still making more money than it costs to upkeep.

There's tons of MMOs and stuff that haven't gotten real new content in years but the servers are still up because they're still making more money than it costs to keep them going. and FGO is one of the biggest games in the world.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Sophism posted:

What dude? And cool, they managed to keep it in a homogeneous style then? Huge props to them, and they're still structured differently.

If you seriously don't understand why just throwing more people at stuff isn't a solution then I don't think anything people say on a forum is going to teach you.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think until we see the actual shape of JP fgo's death it's probably too soon to judge, but there is likely to be a period where the game goes into maintenance mode and other versions are then going to actually catch up. i don't think they'd shutter na in the middle of a part though. so it'd have to be a weird structure where jp peters off while na finishes lostbelt/part 3 etc and then they both close.

efb

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
tbh I dont think FGO will die ever so soon.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Dryzen posted:

If you seriously don't understand why just throwing more people at stuff isn't a solution then I don't think anything people say on a forum is going to teach you.

The arguments presented boil down to too many cooks in the kitchen. I'm saying I don't believe this applies to this specific project.

We can agree to disagree, but I'll concede the point if you are speaking from a position of authority on the matter? Have you worked translating or coordinating a team translating a project like FGO?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tired Moritz posted:

Congrats Gudako! You’ve saved the world for the fifth time! But now you must set off with Mysterious Heroine F91 to save the Galaxy!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Even a very conservative estimate of its lifespan would be

2019: Second half of part 2
2020: Part 2.5
2021: Part 3
2022: Second half of part 3, ending

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

There are no signs that it isn't continuing to print money, and if anything it's only grown in presence since the end of the part 1 story two years ago. It's been the top genre at the last couple comikets, which is a pretty good indicator that it's really loving popular.

About the only thing that could bring it to a halt at this point is if the writers run out of ideas for new story arcs, and there's strong pressure on them to milk it for all it's worth at this point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

takeuchi is smart enough with business that he and nasu still own enough rights to fate to be able to pull out whenever they want to, but i dont think they could shutter the game or stop aniplex from adding new content on their own, or anything

and thered be no real reason for that kind of breakdown when they've given nasu almost complete creative control.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I mean, not that this whole argument is without merit, but I don't see how the translation speed is the bottle neck here. It should still be significantly faster than the writing istself unless one or both sides seriously half-rear end their resource commitment.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Other than the boogeyman of them shutting down the servers within 24 hours, why would you even want events to come out faster? Do we really want Christmas 2019 to come out in April?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
puzzle and dragons are still alive, right?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Endorph posted:

She gets a strengthening later that also gives it a 20%-30% defense down, so there's that at least.
No poo poo? Awesome!

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Me when events don’t have any downtime

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Sophism posted:

The arguments presented boil down to too many cooks in the kitchen. I'm saying I don't believe this applies to this specific project.

We can agree to disagree, but I'll concede the point if you are speaking from a position of authority on the matter? Have you worked translating or coordinating a team translating a project like FGO?

I don't think a collaborative project like translating something is at all different from any collaborative project. I spent most of my time in college studying project management and my work is closely involved with it.

Adding more people to the translation project would just mean that you will have to split up things more in order to have each person working on something. The point of consistency has already been brought up and no, you can't just have an editor to keep it there because it would suffer from the same problem; adding more editors would cause the same issue of consistency. Fragmenting a process like this causes it to be less productive and this isn't just a thing that's shooting out my rear end, it's a thing that has decades of studies to back it up.

I don't think it at all requires a position of authority to understand this. In most schools you will work on group projects and one of the big things that should come from this is the issue of having too many people work on something. I'm very sure you understand this but, once again, I don't think nor understand how you think a translation project is exempt from this rule.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

I think it's more likely that FGO would just be relaunched as a whole new product, sporting more modern client, potentially in yet another alternate timeline as a soft reboot.

They'd likely reuse FGO Arcade's assets, and find some way to convert a portion of veteran players' collections over, so as to help the player base transition over.

Dryzen posted:

I don't think a collaborative project like translating something is at all different from any collaborative project. I spent most of my time in college studying project management and my work is closely involved with it.

Adding more people to the translation project would just mean that you will have to split up things more in order to have each person working on something. The point of consistency has already been brought up and no, you can't just have an editor to keep it there because it would suffer from the same problem; adding more editors would cause the same issue of consistency. Fragmenting a process like this causes it to be less productive and this isn't just a thing that's shooting out my rear end, it's a thing that has decades of studies to back it up.

I don't think it at all requires a position of authority to understand this. In most schools you will work on group projects and one of the big things that should come from this is the issue of having too many people work on something. I'm very sure you understand this but, once again, I don't think nor understand how you think a translation project is exempt from this rule.

Oh I agree it's not exempt. If you were to throw 20 new translators, regardless of splitting them off into their own groups, it would very quickly turn the whole operation into a nightmare, with issues managing style consistency, setting terminology, character voices, (This was already an issue in Fuyuki.) and everything else that was brought up. But 1-2 extra translators seems completely reasonable, and likely enough to speed up the process just enough so that we could partially close the gap between NA and JP eventually... even if it took 3 years to narrow it down to a 1 year disparity.

If the translation team is already a well-oiled machine, this could easily throw a wrench into it and ruin the project. But if anything, it seems like their issue has always been being spread too thin, if what Albert has stated in interviews is to be believed. In fact, I recall he mentioned they added another translator or two to the team already.

I'm super prepared to drop this one way or another, because the truth of the matter is, Aniplex probably couldn't care less about addressing this in any way that involves allocating a bigger budget.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 26, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RanKizama posted:

No poo poo? Awesome!
medb is nasu's favorite so she gets three buffs (second skill, np, third skill) and there is a non-zero chance they'll buff her first skill too

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Tired Moritz posted:

puzzle and dragons are still alive, right?

They are and had a few collabs up to late november and keep releasing interface/inventory improvement too.

FGO could go for a very long time.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

They are and had a few collabs up to late november and keep releasing interface/inventory improvement too.

FGO could go for a very long time.

Heck, P&D just announced a collab with Fate for the next HF movie.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
The day came when my phone got busted. I never did the password-thing in the game, is my account forever lost?

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

PerOlus posted:

The day came when my phone got busted. I never did the password-thing in the game, is my account forever lost?

Did you write down your friend ID at least? I'd contact support with that alongside every little bit of information you remember, such as 5*s and 4*s, NP levels, grailed targets, notable CEs, support lineup, your My Room birthday, and most importantly...

...receipts for any and all of your purchases. This by itself will really speed up the process.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 26, 2018

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

dogsicle posted:

i think until we see the actual shape of JP fgo's death it's probably too soon to judge

According to my notes, when the flow of money dries up and the game finally does die for good, the players will continue playing on its corpse. Unable to handle this, the game's final dying act will be to unleash a psychic call to other mobages to come down and destroy the players once and for all.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Sophism posted:

Do you remember your ID? I'd contact support with that alongside every little bit of information you remember, such as 5*s and 4*s, NP levels, grailed targets, notable CEs, support lineup, your My Room birthday, and most importantly...

...receipts for any and all of your purchases. This by itself will really speed up the process.

Cool thanks, I'll try.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Sophism posted:

If the translation team is already a well-oiled machine, this could easily throw a wrench into it and ruin the project. But if anything, it seems like their issue has always been being spread too thin, if what Albert has stated in interviews is to be believed. In fact, I recall he mentioned they added another translator or two to the team already.

I don't really try to keep up with NA news but after asking some people, I don't think this is a thing Albert has said since the time when the TL was just really poorly edited? I think by this point the issue is more with the quality of the translators and their knowledge of the series to make translations that fit better. I can't imagine even some super fate lore expert will manage to catch everything in a typical translation->editing->release timeline because that's just the nature of the beast.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Dryzen posted:

I don't really try to keep up with NA news but after asking some people, I don't think this is a thing Albert has said since the time when the TL was just really poorly edited? I think by this point the issue is more with the quality of the translators and their knowledge of the series to make translations that fit better. I can't imagine even some super fate lore expert will manage to catch everything in a typical translation->editing->release timeline because that's just the nature of the beast.

The quality has fluctuated since launch, but it's visibly improved this year at least. Characters seem to have more of a voice and there's less word salad nonsense. Hard to tell if it's more reasonable deadlines, the addition of a couple members to the team, better quality control, or any combination of those.

I'm honestly fine with I don't know, calling "magical circuits" something like "arcane conduits" or whatever. My biggest pet peeve is despite the noticeable improvement, they still don't seem to care to run even a basic spell-checker.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Endorph posted:

medb is nasu's favorite so she gets three buffs (second skill, np, third skill) and there is a non-zero chance they'll buff her first skill too
Good

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A proper translation would never use Umu, do you really want that

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Good riddance to umu if it were up to me.

Also, thanks for gobbling up every knight medal I farmed Lancelot.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Billzasilver posted:

Do we really want Christmas 2019 to come out in April?

That isn't a problem at all.

This year Valentines ended 10 days before Valentines, Christmas was way before Christmas. The schedule is already strange.

ps gently caress umu.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

No more Nitocris in the Amon after-fight cutscene, therefore it is the worst one so far :colbert:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

anyone who hates umu hates life

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sodium Chloride posted:

That isn't a problem at all.

This year Valentines ended 10 days before Valentines, Christmas was way before Christmas. The schedule is already strange.

ps gently caress umu.

There's a vast difference between the schedule of events not quite matching with the actual events they're meant to for a variety of reasons, and too fast too furious.

Nevermind the insane pace of the grind.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I didnt get enough medals...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I didn't get enough anything.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

How would you like more content but not enough anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

BlazeEmblem posted:

Doing the math, we are about 2/3 done with the total kills against these 6 pillars. At the rate we are going, we should be able to clear them either late on the 25th or early on the 26th.

I wrote this without realizing that the saber pillar would show up during the battle against them, but I was still close.