Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Eimi posted:

So....while the Karling blob is still hell...I might have been able to take Rome. Is there any way to burn it without being Byzantine/Roman? Because I really want that event. Sadly I see no intrigue decision.

Also I have just been introduced to Threat and wow have I never hated a mechanic as much as I do that one. If I can turn it off, it might just be time for another reroll and to go full Rome.

Are you above using console commands? Because that's what I ended up doing when I did a Semien -> Israel run and found that Jerusalem had been filled with cities and temples by the time I conquered my way over there. It's kind of silly there's no in-game way to get rid of crap holdings save for very specific events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eimi posted:

So....while the Karling blob is still hell...I might have been able to take Rome. Is there any way to burn it without being Byzantine/Roman? Because I really want that event. Sadly I see no intrigue decision.

Also I have just been introduced to Threat and wow have I never hated a mechanic as much as I do that one. If I can turn it off, it might just be time for another reroll and to go full Rome.

Turning threat off is indeed a possibility. Disable defensive pacts in the game rules when starting a new game.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Some really weird things happened in my last crusade for Jerusalem. First, mid-crusade, one participant settled a crusader state, but they were suomenusko. Then I took over Jerusalem and found my largest vassal was a Waldensian priest. Crusader nations are trolling the world with their beneficiary choices.

BigShasta fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 24, 2018

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Out of curiosity, what happens to money contributed to a Crusade that gets cancelled? You definitely don't get it back.

Does the gold just vanish into the game's inner workings, or (as I suspect) does the Pope keep it?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Eimi posted:

Sure become a tribal khan and you can burn whatever you want.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I decided to restart to remove threat, and I'll probably just go for a restore Rome run for the cool togas and having a laurel crown. :v: I am wondering if even with that if I can finagle a way to get the Greek deity names. Like what's the scope on what the gods are called? Could I, as Empress of Byzantium, Delve into the classics, publically declare faith, reform, not convert my heir, and then die, and then my heir would reform Rome and get the Apostate title, because it's the best, and leave me with a Roman empire with Greek deity names?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Communist Walrus posted:

Are you above using console commands? Because that's what I ended up doing when I did a Semien -> Israel run and found that Jerusalem had been filled with cities and temples by the time I conquered my way over there. It's kind of silly there's no in-game way to get rid of crap holdings save for very specific events.

Yeah I wish you could destroy any settlement you owned that wasn't the capital of the county. It's really annoying when there's a tribal holding they isn't the capital, because those basically never reform. So you can have this bad rear end county in like kiev with 6 holdings and for some reason there's still a tribe there that you can't get rid of without console commands.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A tribe costs like 400 bucks to upgrade into a castle/city, with the option to burn your worthless prestige on extra addons, as opposed to the 600 bucks it takes to make a castle from scratch. It's not much of a problem.

You should be able to just repurpose churches into castles at the cost of some piety and negative church opinion or something (and I guess vice-versa for theocratic rulers?). It's just a big ol' building, it shouldn't be some kind of mystical art to use it for feudal purposes as opposed to theocratic ones. Especially if you're taking over a temple of another religion, then there's not even societal rules you'd be breaking.

You should also get some kind of monetary bonus for converting to iconoclasm from all the icons being looted.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

You should be able to just repurpose churches into castles at the cost of some piety and negative church opinion or something (and I guess vice-versa for theocratic rulers?). It's just a big ol' building, it shouldn't be some kind of mystical art to use it for feudal purposes as opposed to theocratic ones. Especially if you're taking over a temple of another religion, then there's not even societal rules you'd be breaking.

It's not "just a big ol' building". The construction method is different, the layout is different, everything is different. The only thing churches and castles have in common is that they're made out of stone.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah bear in mind a holding doesn’t just represent one building. It’s more like a town that’s anchored around a castle or temple (or just a big city).

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Eimi posted:

I decided to restart to remove threat, and I'll probably just go for a restore Rome run for the cool togas and having a laurel crown. :v: I am wondering if even with that if I can finagle a way to get the Greek deity names. Like what's the scope on what the gods are called? Could I, as Empress of Byzantium, Delve into the classics, publically declare faith, reform, not convert my heir, and then die, and then my heir would reform Rome and get the Apostate title, because it's the best, and leave me with a Roman empire with Greek deity names?
Greek or Roman deity names are determined by who reforms the faith. If they're culturally Greek, then the gods get the Greek names. In all other cases, they stick with the Roman names. It has nothing to do with the Roman Empire title.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 25, 2018

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
How am I supposed to obtain Mjolnir when a vassal of mine already has it? Do I just need to kill his entire bloodline?

Soho Joe fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 25, 2018

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Greek or Roman deity names are determined by who reforms the faith. If they're culturally Greek, then the gods get the Greek names. In all other cases, they stick with the Roman names. It has nothing to do with the Roman Empire title.

That's cool. I got to that point and messed around with some different save states, so it's been interesting. I haven't reformed Rome before so it was a shock that when I did I was still stuck with the lovely Byzantine succession system. I mean I don't even get to keep the OP Byzantine crown, I should be able to change to some succession system that doesn't suck.

E: Also is there a mod or something that fixes the barber shop for women? Dudes get a facial hair and haircut option, while as a Byzantine woman, it just gives me various veils and doesn't let me change my character's hair.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 25, 2018

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Soho Joe posted:

How am I supposed to obtain Mjolnir when a vassal of mine already has it? Do I just need to kill his entire bloodline?

When I was about to go on the legendary raid for the warrior lodge a fellow warrior gave me Mjlonir for good luck.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I decided to restart my CK2 playing by being Genghis Khan. Conquered Persia. Now am staring at 300 barons I either have to right click pillage or right click create new vassal.

I no longer want to play Genghis Khan. They still haven't improved this aspect of nomads since Horse Lords I see.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ugh, my brain's trying to convince me to make a Christian variant of a warrior lodge. It'd be less about getting gritty and dumb but fighty because of Chivalry. Also because of chivalry, picking to end a Christian non-excommunicated opponent (Not killing them just normally in the course of a duel, CHOOSING to kill them) would lose Honor. The epic journey just to Fight Dudes could instead be an epic quest, perhaps for a relic. Instead of "gently caress off, fight a bear", they can face basically a man who turns into a monster. I feel like Reaver and War Sacrifice aren't quite thematically appropriate, but I'm not sure what I'd change for them, and I'm lacking a unique society option idea.

It'd be easier to just have one for all Christians (maybe also one for Orthodox? Unlikely they'd share) rather than the many different ones for cultures that the existing mod has. But with the unique commander trait, maybe it would be better to have multiple.

I kinda keep starting on this idea and realizing how many events I'll need to rewrite aaaaaaaaaa

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 25, 2018

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

Aleth posted:

When I was about to go on the legendary raid for the warrior lodge a fellow warrior gave me Mjlonir for good luck.

Every time I've started a Legend, my ruler dies before the bar fills! Also it only took like 23 murders to get it in my hands!!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Soho Joe posted:

Every time I've started a Legend, my ruler dies before the bar fills! Also it only took like 23 murders to get it in my hands!!

Who even counts anymore.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I wonder how hard it is to code in a new decision in the intrigue menu. I'd love to add a decision to hold the Olympics for Hellenism, since you lose fairs and feasts. And one to host great games in the arena once per ruler like a grand tournament. Just little bits of extra flavor.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Coding in a new intrigue menu decision is easy. A whole event chain like grand tournaments and fairs would be a bit trickier, though certainly still achievable if you're willing to put in a bit of work.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeaah, it'll be something I'll have to really sit there and dedicate time to. My overall idea is to have the Olympics as sort of a grand unifying thing in the realm, with decisions for you to like pay for them yourself, have vassals pay, use prestige. If you're restoring Rome it should do more than give you an op CB. And because I'm a historical nerd and think that surely a great and auspicious emperor could think of a system like that of sankin kotai to control their realm and bring back a more administrative than feudal system. Arena games would be the big succession thing where you sac gold to get prestige/piety to get people to love you. And because what Emperor doesn't spend lavishly on their city. :colbert:

E: How long do you have to wait before you get the option to gain Roman culture? Also going back to an older question, is there a way to edit the barber shop so that it actually changes the hair for women instead of giving you a veil?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 26, 2018

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

...why are my vassals waging external wars with external wars set to illegal?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SlothfulCobra posted:

A tribe costs like 400 bucks to upgrade into a castle/city, with the option to burn your worthless prestige on extra addons, as opposed to the 600 bucks it takes to make a castle from scratch. It's not much of a problem.

AI tribal barons never seem to do it, even if the hillfort is fully built. There's a requirement for the county to be converted to the right religion that is kinda silly that i think the ai gets confused about. Also in the stoic intelligentsia a city costs like 150.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

I feel like Reaver and War Sacrifice aren't quite thematically appropriate, but I'm not sure what I'd change for them, and I'm lacking a unique society option idea.

Just make it so when you capture the enemy commanders you can either imprison them, or force them to convert to your religion if they aren't. If they are also in an order you can just dual them (with the normal dual mechanic chances).

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Eimi posted:

...why are my vassals waging external wars with external wars set to illegal?

Crown Laws affect de jure territory only

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Various Meat Products posted:

Crown Laws affect de jure territory only

:ughh: That makes too much sense. Time to wage war on the Arabian emperor to dissolve his title just to make my borders pretty.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Eimi posted:

E: How long do you have to wait before you get the option to gain Roman culture? Also going back to an older question, is there a way to edit the barber shop so that it actually changes the hair for women instead of giving you a veil?
I believe the decision "Roman Renaissance" should be visible immediately after you restore the roman empire. You do have to be italian or greek, though.

To take it, you have to have ruled for 10 years, be christian or hellenic, not be at war and have your capital in Rome.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

I believe the decision "Roman Renaissance" should be visible immediately after you restore the roman empire. You do have to be italian or greek, though.

To take it, you have to have ruled for 10 years, be christian or hellenic, not be at war and have your capital in Rome.

Huh, I meet all those requirements. My current Empress has ruled for 20 years, she's Hellenic, I'm not at war, my capital is Rome, Rome is even Greek culture. Is it because I chose enatic clans that it's messing up? Or do I have to form the Kingdom of Romagna or something stupid like that? I figured it out, it was a mod I'm a dumbass.

Also Syria refuses to dejure drift into my realm no matter what. I completely control it. Why would it not be drifting?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 26, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Someone outside your realm has a duchy title in Syria that you haven't usurped.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Aleth posted:

I had that as well.
It took Lođbrokk above 200 Personal Combat Skill.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Weird happening. Just conquered most of Tunis via Holy War. Gave two counties to my 2nd son, two counties to a good commander.

The pope then announces a crusade for Africa. I join and put forth a beneficiary, then realize I can demand the lands myself, which I do, since my lands already border the target on both sides.

I win easily, since I'm so close to the target and can land my full armies on the coast and get all the captured counties. I am awarded the Kingdom, and my beneficiary is awarded a dukedom, but somehow my two Tunisian vassals are granted independence.

Very weird, any idea why that happened?

Not a big problem though, they were both Catalan and had 100 opinions of me and agreed to vassalize again.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Midnight Voyager posted:

Ugh, my brain's trying to convince me to make a Christian variant of a warrior lodge. It'd be less about getting gritty and dumb but fighty because of Chivalry. Also because of chivalry, picking to end a Christian non-excommunicated opponent (Not killing them just normally in the course of a duel, CHOOSING to kill them) would lose Honor. The epic journey just to Fight Dudes could instead be an epic quest, perhaps for a relic. Instead of "gently caress off, fight a bear", they can face basically a man who turns into a monster. I feel like Reaver and War Sacrifice aren't quite thematically appropriate, but I'm not sure what I'd change for them, and I'm lacking a unique society option idea.

It'd be easier to just have one for all Christians (maybe also one for Orthodox? Unlikely they'd share) rather than the many different ones for cultures that the existing mod has. But with the unique commander trait, maybe it would be better to have multiple.

I kinda keep starting on this idea and realizing how many events I'll need to rewrite aaaaaaaaaa

obv the epic journey needs to be a quest for the holy grail

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Should naming someone viceroy of a kingdom and including all the duchies below that make the duchies feudal? It's a pain having to make them viceroy of every individual duchy when the option to speed that up seems to exist.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Midnight Voyager posted:

If supernatural events are on you should get a chance to fight a dragon and become a saint.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Volkerball posted:

Someone outside your realm has a duchy title in Syria that you haven't usurped.

I'll look into fixing that then.

Arbite posted:

Should naming someone viceroy of a kingdom and including all the duchies below that make the duchies feudal? It's a pain having to make them viceroy of every individual duchy when the option to speed that up seems to exist.

It does that? ...that explains a lot about the state of my realm.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 26, 2018

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Hell yeah, you should do this. For the unique commander traits, maybe let it be the player's choice if they want to focus on cavalry, or sieges, or religious enemies or whatever.

Instead of War Sacrifice, maybe give the defeated opponent an opportunity to join your society, or even your court? Arthurian legend has all sorts of instances where one knight was so impressed by the knight who kicked their rear end that they joined up on the spot.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

If you want to have multiple knightly orders, you could just have the orders accessible based on a mix of de jure territory and a character’s realm- so if you’re in the de jure territory of the empire of Italia or the kingdoms of Sicily or Africa, or your liege holds a title that’s under one of those, you get access to the Order of Saint James/ Knights of the Tau. That way any Christian character can access the society, but the chivalric orders only exist in territory where knighthood existed (so, none on the steppes, near east, or India)

Some of the stuff you can do with societies is really cool- I’m polishing up a mod that makes Manicheanism its own full religion and the scripting can allow for monastic societies that allow for the head of the religion to always be the most likely society head, or that allows for power struggles between a main religion and its heresy within the society. (Right now the only Manichean heresy I have coded is the Albanensians, which kind of act as a “western Manicheanism” that has more holy sites in the Mideast rather than in Central Asia and that can put a rival head of the religion in Baghdad.)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
One thing I rather wish existed right now is the ability to give up a military specialization. Always annoying when someone pops out a brilliant strategist specialized in light infantry, or flanking.

Trivial to mod, I suppose.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Arbite posted:

I haven't played with viceroys in HF, but I played alot of Byzantium games before that, and that never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

I haven't played with viceroys in HF, but I played alot of Byzantium games before that, and that never happened.

It's very inconsistent. I think the exarch's duchies are kept as themes, but for their vassals they become dukes. Like I can look around and I see a lot of doux and not a lot of strategos, and with certain kingdoms, I just receive the kingdom title back.