Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

InitialDave posted:

I could do with getting a new Dremel-type tool, but I can't really bring myself to spend Dremel money, the Sealey E5188 looks reasonable, and is more powerful (170W vs 135W) than a lot of the generic units.

Thoughts?

I've had the Black&Decker RTX for 6 or 7 years now and I like it. It has more power than my mom's Dremel and was $30. I've cut locks, chain, toilet bolts, coped baseboards, stripped rubber out of bushings, etc. I like the brake to change tools without the wrench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I bought this because it was Wirecutter's budget pick. Only used it once, it didn't immediately break on me.

WEN 2305 Rotary Tool Kit with Flex Shaft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BYRFH8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UJPiCbFVC1YNP

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Uthor posted:

I bought this because it was Wirecutter's budget pick. Only used it once, it didn't immediately break on me.

WEN 2305 Rotary Tool Kit with Flex Shaft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BYRFH8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UJPiCbFVC1YNP

Pretty sure I have that kit and it's worked fine. Also takes Dremel bits I think.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bred posted:

I've had the Black&Decker RTX for 6 or 7 years now and I like it. It has more power than my mom's Dremel and was $30. I've cut locks, chain, toilet bolts, coped baseboards, stripped rubber out of bushings, etc. I like the brake to change tools without the wrench.

I like my Milwaukee rotary tool better, but I went through two RTXs first. The first I just about wore out, the second is still perfectly fine but I got the Milwaukee as a gift. It's really hard to argue against the RTX at $30.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I like my Milwaukee rotary tool better, but I went through two RTXs first. The first I just about wore out, the second is still perfectly fine but I got the Milwaukee as a gift. It's really hard to argue against the RTX at $30.

I've got the m12 milwaukee one. The speed control crapped out after a couple months, and now the on off switch doesn't work.

At least it failed in the ON position. I read a bunch of reviews, most of them said similar things. Also, another guy at work had the switch on his crap out. Same deal.

Just some anecdotal shits for you on the Milwaukee.
I pretty much only use it for one thing, and it still works for that task, but if you need the speed to vary and turn on and off without removing the battery, then like beware or whatever.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, thanks guys.

The Wen looks like it's the exact same unit as the Aldi one I've been using for years, and while it's been ok, you can definitely tell it's made down to a price - what I'm trying to do is step up a bit in power/durability without spending a fortune.

Black & Decker, looks like the UK model is slightly different, seems ok, but I'm not sure it's much better than anything else, and doesn't appear to come with the Bowden cable attachment, which I've found to be a nice to have.

Milwaukee is just too expensive to justify for what I need, and I'm not really after something battery powered.

However, what I have found is a "Hi Spec" unit on Amazon that appears to be almost identical to the Sealey one, and about £20 cheaper - but has a 3 year warranty, whereas the Sealey only has 1 year. Even allowing for spending another £7 to get the Bowden cable, that seems like a good option.

I'll sleep on it and see how I feel.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

wesleywillis posted:

I've got the m12 milwaukee one. The speed control crapped out after a couple months, and now the on off switch doesn't work.

At least it failed in the ON position. I read a bunch of reviews, most of them said similar things. Also, another guy at work had the switch on his crap out. Same deal.

Just some anecdotal shits for you on the Milwaukee.
I pretty much only use it for one thing, and it still works for that task, but if you need the speed to vary and turn on and off without removing the battery, then like beware or whatever.

I think the basically no questions asked Milwaukee warranty is something like 5 years, based on the serial # if you don't have a receipt. Get it repaired gratis assuming you've had it less then that.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

I think the basically no questions asked Milwaukee warranty is something like 5 years, based on the serial # if you don't have a receipt. Get it repaired gratis assuming you've had it less then that.

Yup. It's a great program, no BS involved, and no "send back the battery and charger for 'evaluation'..."

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

bred posted:

Dumb question, what "bit" did you use to cope baseboards. I hate coping baseboards.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Costco has the Quickjack 5000slx on sale for $999, shipping included, on their website.

I ordered this yesterday, gonna jack up my M5 every night just for fun.

Is there any reason to spend a lot of money on crow's foot wrenches? Thinking about ordering this and this from Amazon.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
No 12mm? Worthless.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it's so drat rare that you'll ever need a stupid crows foot, idk if it's worth bothering.

ive never needed one doing work on my own vehicles over the past 20 years

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My immediate need is to tighten some nuts for a sink faucet, no way to get normal wrenches in the area. I've had instances where I needed some larger ones for similar low-access plumbing stuff. None of the plumbing stuff I see is metric.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I got that set of Tekton ones for work to access hydraulic fittings in tight spaces because of some stupid engineer (me) making access too difficult. They were fine. Mush prefer regular tools.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Big Taint posted:

My immediate need is to tighten some nuts for a sink faucet, no way to get normal wrenches in the area. I've had instances where I needed some larger ones for similar low-access plumbing stuff. None of the plumbing stuff I see is metric.

Sounds like you need a basin wrench.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

slidebite posted:

I brought it to a milwaukee warranty place, and the guy was all "can't fix it, there are no replacement parts, its either replacement or nothing".

He gave me the address of the "return centre"(?) but its only open during the week like 9-5 or whatever. Theres pretty much no way I'm getting there during that time and I can't be arsed to mail it there. Not to mention I'm still using the thing about every day.
If it completely dies on me, then maybe, but otherwise, I'ma probably just say gently caress it, it still "works".

Probably not the smartest thing to do, but :effort: and all that.

BraveUlysses posted:

it's so drat rare that you'll ever need a stupid crows foot, idk if it's worth bothering.

ive never needed one doing work on my own vehicles over the past 20 years

I've never really had the need to use crow's foot poo poo on anything automotive either.

Working on hydraulic poo poo on the other hand....

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

Dumb question, what "bit" did you use to cope baseboards. I hate coping baseboards.

I used several sanding drums and cartridge rolls to define the edge. I'd cut the 45 on a miter saw and remove a lot of the waste with a hand saw first.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Crow's feet are brilliant for brake line fittings etc, and sometimes they're the only thing that'll get into a particular spot.

They also allow you to use torque wrenches in some situations you otherwise couldn't.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

InitialDave posted:

Crow's feet are brilliant for brake line fittings etc, and sometimes they're the only thing that'll get into a particular spot.

They also allow you to use torque wrenches in some situations you otherwise couldn't.

That and crows foot LINE wrenches.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

sharkytm posted:

That and crows foot LINE wrenches.

I was disappointed that the crow's foot set of ummmmm "sockets" I got for work, weren't of the line wrench variety.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
DeWalt DC820B Cordless Impact
What batteries do I need? I keep finding NiCad, which I thought this used LiOns (and that NiCads were shite and replaced by the better LiOns).

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

QuarkMartial posted:

DeWalt DC820B Cordless Impact
What batteries do I need? I keep finding NiCad, which I thought this used LiOns (and that NiCads were shite and replaced by the better LiOns).

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCA2203C-20-Volt-Battery-Adapter-x/dp/B016K1UEPS

It's an 18v tool, but for Dewalt it was mostly marketing and minor hardware changes to play in the 20v "peak voltages" market. I have that impact, it's nice, but I didn't end up using it to remove lug bolts, I bought the native 20v massive impact wrench instead. The 820b is great for assembling and disassembling plenty of things.

I have the converter kit too, just don't leave the batteries in the adapter, they'll slowly drain. Works fine though.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Awesome, thanks!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

This is why I've needed one or two in the past. I haven't been super satisfied with them, though; they would always flex open on me. Maybe the expensive ones are better.

Now I just do header bolts by hand with an open end wrench. It's less important that they are at the right torque than it is that they are all at the same torque, anyway.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

angryrobots posted:

Sounds like you need a basin wrench.

As much as I hate doing the "buy a tool which you will use only once or twice in your life" a basin wrench really is one of those things that's worth it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The one time I bought a crows foot, it was to get torque on a jam nut on my Jeep's track bar. The way it all lined up, I ran out of clearance for my wrench (in every possible angle) just shy of having it actually snugged down.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
recently got Makita’s “new” 1,180 ft-lb 1/2” drive impact, the XWT08Z. I had the older version of this with the “rocker” switch, but it had no modulation in the trigger, which meant snapped fasteners if they were lovely or corroded. this thing is TITS. only downside is it’s quite loving huge; here’s a picture of it next to its little brother

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I needed a couple 1/4" extensions and found this on a deals site: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Accessory-Set-19-Piece-HACCY19PC/301175115

1/4", 3/8", 1/2" wobble extensions, joints, and adapters, with a weird flex extension for :20bux: pretty good price to round out some needs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have the Tekton wobble extensions, they make the rearmost spark plugs on my WJ super easy.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

snugglz posted:

recently got Makita’s “new” 1,180 ft-lb 1/2” drive impact, the XWT08Z. I had the older version of this with the “rocker” switch, but it had no modulation in the trigger, which meant snapped fasteners if they were lovely or corroded. this thing is TITS. only downside is it’s quite loving huge; here’s a picture of it next to its little brother

Wow that looks like a beast. At this point is there any tool that's better as an air tool vs. powerful battery handheld? Maybe an air ratchet is a little slimmer and easier to get in tight spots vs battery? I'm thinking my garage of the future just won't have a giant air compressor period.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

mod sassinator posted:

Wow that looks like a beast. At this point is there any tool that's better as an air tool vs. powerful battery handheld? Maybe an air ratchet is a little slimmer and easier to get in tight spots vs battery? I'm thinking my garage of the future just won't have a giant air compressor period.

Air die grinders are better for sure, and air tools will be more compact. Air sanders and other things you have to run for long periods of time are better. That said, the new battery tools are really good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

Nailers / air hammers?

But I agree, the list of tools that are better with air instead of batteries is getting smaller and smaller.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I still feel that from a pure performance perspective a lot of the air tools are still better.

But once you account for not having to run and deal with air lines and noisy compressors the small performance trade-off is well worth it.

Same thing with some of our corded high power tools like hole hawgs. Just the added safety bonus of not tripping over cords scattered around a site swings everything towards battery as the superior choice.

Now just waiting for my BEV work trucks so that I can charge batteries and run the few tools that are not battery powered wherever the gently caress I want.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Is there any electric that can match a compact air impact (Aircat 1055-TH and similar) in the same general size? Being able to stuff an impact into suspensions and engine bays is pretty drat handy.

I'd imagine die grinders are in the same boat. Air engines are really small for their power output.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

FatCow posted:

Is there any electric that can match a compact air impact (Aircat 1055-TH and similar) in the same general size? Being able to stuff an impact into suspensions and engine bays is pretty drat handy.

I'd imagine die grinders are in the same boat. Air engines are really small for their power output.

No, cordless tools aren't quite there yet when it comes to size and power. It's funny, I've been eyeing the new Milwaukee stubby impact and this video compares the two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1HanQKdVGA

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2554-20

250 ft/lbs from a 12V tool is still pretty amazing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i have the stubby m12 in 1/2 and its neat but i have no real use for it because my cars are new enough they dont need much work :v:

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

No, cordless tools aren't quite there yet when it comes to size and power. It's funny, I've been eyeing the new Milwaukee stubby impact and this video compares the two:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2554-20

that is pretty impressive, still. I keep thinking I need to dive into the 12V Milwaukee stuff, every day there's some new offering from them that would make my life like 5% easier

mod sassinator posted:

this thing hits as hard as my Strap On 1/2' air impact, and is only 40mm longer (though still bulkier given the battery). I have yet to find a fastener on any of our trucks it won't budge. it's still all shiny because it's usually overkill. I often work jobs in the middle of nowhere though so it's good to have in the kit.

FatCow posted:

if there is, I sure haven't found it. the little guy in that picture does 207 ft-lbs breakaway and is about the same size as the 1055. I often don't have access to a compressor working remotely. die grinders and really anything with crazy high RPMs will always be air-tool superiority and the brushless tech is still bulky... crazy how fast it's moving now, though

snugglz fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 28, 2018

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

Nice. I'm running into the problem that half my Makita tools use the old LXT batteries and half accept the new, so I either: 1.rebuild the old dead battery packs 2.say gently caress it and grind off the stop tab 3.buy newer versions of the tools so my new batteries will work with everything.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

250 ft/lbs from a 12V tool is still pretty amazing.

I just went and bought this because I need an excuse to get out of the house and the nearest HD had one of these in stock. Looking forward to having no reason to own this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i hope you bought the 1/2 instead of 3/8