Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Barudak posted:

See, Id like to trust you but every other Saga game Ive played has been a mess of mechanics and story progression triggers I cant intuit to ever feel like Im accomplishing things on purpose so id like some details here cause Im intrigued

Romancing SaGa 2 has a ng+ that you can use at any time. hosed up a few hours in? Restart with those skills and gear. Walk throughs are a good thing to use too unless you're really in to figuring out archaic stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

MagusofStars posted:

Have the Final Fantasy Legend games been re-released on mobile or Steam or the like? Would love to replay them but don’t feel like messing around with emulators or pulling out the old gray brick Gameboy.

Also, what’s the consensus on the mobile versions of the SNES FF’s? Worth the few bucks or are they so awkward to play on mobile that “screw it don’t bother”?

If you can get over the bad art, FF5 and 6 are at their core great games. FF4 uses the lovely 3D version, and I would rather play the GBA remake, which allows you to switch party members after you finish the tower of babel.

Best versions of each game are basically:
1 and 2: PSP version, GBA and mobile is also acceptable
3: NES
4-6: GBA, with speed patches applied
7: PS4/Steam remaster
8: steam, I guess
9: see 7
X/X-2: Remaster on every platform now
12: Zodiac Age release

Remakes of 7, 9 and 12 give fast forward buttons. 3 and 4's 3D remakes made the games worse.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Evil Fluffy posted:

Romancing SaGa 2 has a ng+ that you can use at any time. hosed up a few hours in? Restart with those skills and gear. Walk throughs are a good thing to use too unless you're really in to figuring out archaic stuff.

That... actually sounds like a potentially good mechanic?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm pretty sure SaGa games aren't supposed to make sense.

I enjoyed RS2 even if the final boss is so utterly god drat insane that even on my luckiest and most amazing attempt I still only barely managed to make it to...half its HP? It's an utterly baffling game but I love baffling and it does some really creative things with gameplay mechanics. It still kinda blows my mind that it did as much as it did as a SNES game.

lobster22221 posted:

I think the remake added that feature, along with a couple new classes and dungeons and a battle counter, which is incredibly important since number of battles fought determine enemy strength (including what encounters you run away from).

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the best version of 4 is the one from the complete collection on psp.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

lobster22221 posted:

It is very good. Being able to savescum the bonus dungeon chests is real good too since you can sneak your way to the deep levels and get endgame gear as soon as you unlock the area if you want.

And th bonus dungeon levels have set difficulties. Meaning you can always fight enemies of the right level if you want to grind for a skill you missed early in the game that's needed to spark something else. Or you can try to fight stuff out of your depth to spark powerful skills prematurely.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm a big fan of FF4DS. the augments are an interesting way of offering customization and many bosses have had slight revamps to make them more interesting. I might replay that version soon

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

seiferguy posted:

7: PS4/Steam remaster

Doesn't this version have a "cleaned up" localization? I prefer my peak janky script from the original PS discs, but then not everyone still has their OG copy or a console to play them on.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

Doesn't this version have a "cleaned up" localization? I prefer my peak janky script from the original PS discs, but then not everyone still has their OG copy or a console to play them on.

It does, but don't worry: the back half of the game still barely makes sense

I played it last year and it was still really fun. Honestly, I was surprised how much I still enjoyed it!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Elvis_Maximus posted:

It does, but don't worry: the back half of the game still barely makes sense

I played it last year and it was still really fun. Honestly, I was surprised how much I still enjoyed it!

After having not played it for many years, I just finished up a playthrough last night and I've gotten a lot of newfound appreciation for some of the stuff going on in that game.

There's a lot of details I don't envy someone trying to capture in the remake if it actually comes out, which it won't.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

baram. posted:

the best version of 4 is the one from the complete collection on psp.

Does that version of IV have the optional dungeons from the advance version?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Epi Lepi posted:

They got rid of some of the more egregious spelling and grammar mistakes and that's about it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It also for some reason changed Rufus' line to Cloud right before their fight from "I see. I guess this means we won't become friends." to something like "I guess we won't be allies."

I dunno, this always just kinda bugged me. Friends sounds so much more mocking and nonchalant. Maybe allies is actaully more accurate to what he said in Japanese, I dunno, but I like friends.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

seiferguy posted:

No, but that's not a bad thing because those two dungeons are garbage and if they were in, they'd be mostly useless.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

seiferguy posted:

Nope

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Now I remember Dark Kain exists and how loving stupid that whole plot line gets.

It's kinda cool in Advance since the scenario is a dumb murder mystery and the boss fight is kinda clever, but it's also cheesy as hell, doesn't really say anything that we didn't already know about Kain (Cecil's his friend yet he wants to bone his girlfriend), and it ends up carrying over to the sequel in one of the most confusing and dumb things in a game full of confusing and dumb moments. So Dark Kain is apparently a real creature or something now?

I mean, it's not like there aren't hundreds of "Dark X" characters out there, but it's dumb because they took a cool metaphorical story battle from the original and made that character a literal being that exists made out of jealousy and anger and all that dumb cliched poo poo and kinda got lost in the whole thing to the point where nothing makes any drat sense.

Sorry for Gologling out just now.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

NikkolasKing posted:

It also for some reason changed Rufus' line to Cloud right before their fight from "I see. I guess this means we won't become friends." to something like "I guess we won't be allies."

I dunno, this always just kinda bugged me. Friends sounds so much more mocking and nonchalant. Maybe allies is actaully more accurate to what he said in Japanese, I dunno, but I like friends.

He does in fact use the word for friend/companion rather than ally in the original. It's a pretty casual tone too, like "we won't become buddies, huh".

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 26, 2018

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kanfy posted:

He does in fact use the word for friend/companion rather than ally in the original. It's a pretty casual tone too, like "we won't become buddies, huh".

That's interesting to know, thanks. I wonder why they changed it for the PC version.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I thought Rufus looked like a huge badass with his white coat and shotgun when I was a kid.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mega64 posted:

That dumb cliched poo poo and kinda got lost in the whole thing to the point where nothing makes any drat sense.

FFIV:TAY.txt

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
FFXII questions:

Am I right in thinking leveling means nothing, it's all about license points?

And secondly, how bad did I gently caress up early on by just buying any and all LPs for my initial characters? For example, I have Basch and made him into a Foebreaker and I'm in Bhujerba. The game systems are starting to click, so I decided to tank this guy all the way out, following more HP license points and more and more axes/hammers LPs.

But for Fran/Balthier/Vaan, I just chose all LPs I could instead of following a consistent and coherent line. Has that screwed me?

edit: Thanks for the info guys

Twat McTwatterson fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 27, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF12 isn't nearly hard enough for any of that to matter, in fact there's a good chance you'll max out the LP board before the end of the game anyway

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's more that gear is important, and locked by Licenses, but more often than not you'll have an associated license way before those items show up in the game.

You'll have every license board thing unlocked by endgame, it doesn't really matter. Even in Zodiac Age they give you enough LP doublers to do so.

The only thought you need to expend about licenses is who to give summons to, as those are permanent choices and lead to licenses you can't get otherwise.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Speaking of FF12, is the remaster worth picking up if I have the base game for PS2? I know it's based off of the Japan-only Zodiac version of the game, but what did they actually change?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The most important change is x4 speed so you can get it over with four times faster

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Speaking of FF12, is the remaster worth picking up if I have the base game for PS2? I know it's based off of the Japan-only Zodiac version of the game, but what did they actually change?

It is unambigously the better version due to the myriad of changes and Its also somehow even easier.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

They changed a bunch. The biggest gameplay change is that license board was modified to be more like a traditional “job/class” system rather than the PS2 version where you basically just got everything for everyone and made six identical characters.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, his monologue about ruling with fear was good, but that line really cemented his character for me.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Commander Keene posted:

MP has been separated from Mist Charges, so now doing quickenings or summoning espers doesn't totally drain your magic. Guests and espers are now fully controllable instead of being AI-based. A lot of chests have been switched to 100% drop equipment or spells instead of random potions or gil, so it's actually worth exploring areas. The damage cap has been removed (or adjusted) so your black mages can easily do over 9,999 damage with their attacks. Combined with the fast forward and "job board" system, those are the biggest changes. Characters can no longer do everything, but the different job boards mean you can actually be better at your specialty than you could be in the base game.

However, a ton of other stuff is tweaked, about how and when you can get equipment and the stats everything give, quest rewards, some drops, etc. It's a much better game overall.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The damage limit being removed was good

I've always held that if your damage limit is 9999, then the most powerful attack from the most powerful character aimed at the weakest enemy in the game should hit for 9998

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The Zodiac Age is the easiest version of FF12 though, by a long shot

They took the Japan-only IZJS version (which was already easier than the original release), added a 4x speed option on top of the 2x speed option that IZJS already had, and then also let you give every character 2 jobs instead of 1. So with 6 characters, you can have every job in the game assigned at once.

Another good change: There aren't any more random, unmarked chests that will screw you out of powerful end-game weapons anymore. Thank gently caress they got rid of that ridiculous system.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
The FF8 Ultimecia speech is neat when you Jap / Eng versions are looked at side by side. I looked at the Japanese script and Ulti is a lot nastier in Japanese, she references the idea of losing your memories in the beginning and around when Griever is called in as well.

Japanese posted:

「...eeD…」
「SeeD... SeeD...」
「SeeD, SeeD, SeeD!!」
「How repulsive...」
「Why do you hunt sorceresses so? Why am I denied my freedom?!」
「This world will soon enter a state of perfectly compressed time...」
「You will not interfere...」
「Your existence as you know it will disappear in a new world!」
「Your minds will be torn from you in agony. Your memories will disappear.」
「Unable to act, unable to think, without the faintest hope! That is the new world that awaits you! There is nothing you can do...」
「No, the one thing you can - Is look upon my existence for an eternity!」

「Now… Who wishes to face me first?!」
「Ah, no matter who it is, the result is the same. I’ll choose for you!」

English posted:

「...SeeD...」
「SeeD......SeeD......」
「SeeD, SeeD, SeeD!」
「Kurse all SeeDs.」
「Swarming like lokusts akross generations. You disgust me.」
「The world was on the brink of that ever-elusive 'time kompression'.」
「Insolent fools! Your vain krusade ends here, SeeDs.」
「The price for your meddling is death beyond death.」
「I shall send you to a dimension beyond your imagining.」
「There, I will reign, and you will be my slaves for eternity. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.」

「Whom shall I exterminate first!?」
「I'll start with you three!」

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 28, 2019

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

The FF8 Ultimecia speech is neat when you Jap / Eng versions are looked at side by side. I looked at the Japanese script and Ulti is a lot nastier in Japanese, she references the idea of losing your memories in the beginning and around when Griever is called in as well.

Japanese version is way better.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The main reason for getting FF12TZA is the wonderful job they did with the music. The whole ost recorded by an orchestra, plus new tracks. its wonderful.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

English version sounds like a teenager's gently caress You Dad speech.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

English version sounds like a teenager's gently caress You Dad speech.

I mean, the game is basically an extremely long "No, gently caress You Dad" except our heroes learn to understand why their parents didnt live up to what their kids hoped they would be.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
The way they rename a lot of stuff in games is interesting. Renzokuken is kept as it is because it sounds a lot cooler than the Japanese, I think is just something like continuous sword slashes, or relentless assault.

Omnislash is renamed from Choukyuu Bushin Hazan the original in FF7, which I think translates to something like Peerless [super-natural] swordsmanship.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I thought Omnislash translates to something insanely long or maybe I'm thinking of another JRPG ultimate attack.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I thought Omnislash translates to something insanely long or maybe I'm thinking of another JRPG ultimate attack.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Omnislash is renamed from Choukyuu Bushin Hazan the original in FF7, which I think translates to something like Peerless [super-natural] swordsmanship.

you act like ~Infinite Wargod~ Eightfold Slash isn't an insanely long ultimate attack name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

gigglefeimer posted:

Japanese version is way better.

You gotta give me the k's