Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Convex posted:

Does the MMOD work with that updated version of HL2 that fixed all the stuff broken by the Source updates? I'm probably due for a replay sometime soon...
Yeah, in fact, it requires it. Though the mod introduces its own host of bugs, including one that might block progression. If you haven't already started, I'd wait at least until 1.1 hotfix, which should be out within the next few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Convex posted:

that updated version of HL2 that fixed all the stuff broken by the Source updates..

the what?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Convex posted:

Does the MMOD work with that updated version of HL2 that fixed all the stuff broken by the Source updates? I'm probably due for a replay sometime soon...

:rip: CounterStrike SciFi Mod

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mordja posted:

Replaying through Half Life 2 with MMod and one thing I'd forgotten is that there's actually a lot of shooting. Which sounds dumb when I say it out loud, but in my mind HL2 was a bunch of set pieces and physics puzzles and you only ever fought, like, four or five enemies at a time. Turns out I'd misremembered, because enemy counts are actually closer to a 90s-style shooter than a lot of the proceeding games that wouldd later try and ape HL2's style. I don't mind, I'm one of those brokebrains with a soft-spot for Source engine gunplay and the mod's changes don't hurt it either. I am free man 410,757,864,530 DEAD COMBINE.

i feel like there's others that have this in their head for some reason, which i've never understood because the cinematic 'cutscenes' are the exception more than the rule and usually only pop in after very long stretches of popping skulls

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like there's others that have this in their head for some reason, which i've never understood because the cinematic 'cutscenes' are the exception more than the rule and usually only pop in after very long stretches of popping skulls

Yeah. I also maintain my long held position that the airboat section is good, not overlong, and broken up perfectly by sections where you have to dismount and complete a shooting game level. :colbert:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Yeah Gordon's killcount in HL2 alone is somewhere in the five to six hundreds. That's a loving lot. You can kill a maximum of 600ish in the first Max Payne. There's a LOT of action in HL2 and the longest stretch without kicking some rear end is probably about a half an hour when you go to Black Mesa East.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mordja posted:

Yeah, in fact, it requires it. Though the mod introduces its own host of bugs, including one that might block progression. If you haven't already started, I'd wait at least until 1.1 hotfix, which should be out within the next few days.

Thanks! I'll hold off until then, cheers.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Guess we're not getting a new AMC TC episode this year.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

site posted:

the what?

It's on Steam, called Half-Life 2 Update I think. Free but you can only download if you already own HL2.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mordja posted:

Yeah. I also maintain my long held position that the airboat section is good, not overlong, and broken up perfectly by sections where you have to dismount and complete a shooting game level. :colbert:

It's not "good" it's just an attempt to vary the gameplay with mixed results. Frankly I'd rather have been running around shooting guys than trying to navigate the airboat track

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's been a while since ive played but i remember the car section being the overly long one

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
It sounds like the main complaints about Half Life 2 aren't actually about parts being actually bad, but rather about the parts that get boring first after a dozen playthroughs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ponzicar posted:

It sounds like the main complaints about Half Life 2 aren't actually about parts being actually bad, but rather about the parts that get boring first after a dozen playthroughs.

Basically; same as the intro tram and level for Half-Life. It was mind-blowing at the time but not interesting in a subsequent playthrough. I'll never call the tram ride bad no matter how boring I find it today.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I unabashedly love the boat and buggy chapters and their only drawback is how much more fun it is to just ditch the rides and accelerated back hop into orbit on those levels.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The fact that I can't karate chop the Tau cannon off of a vehicle and wield it on foot is a goddamned travesty.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i really enjoyed the highway segment in hl2 because it was neat to pop out every now and then on the coastline to explore a hosed up old house

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The fact that I can't karate chop the Tau cannon off of a vehicle and wield it on foot is a goddamned travesty.

In MMod you can tear off the mounted gun emplacements like some kind of god drat Nerd Spartan.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

Guess we're not getting a new AMC TC episode this year.
yeah sorry bout that, life just happens and it's been tough to find the energy to work on it. ep3 is literally 95% done, it's just getting the motivation to work on it when IRL stuff is putting pressure on me.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jblade posted:

yeah sorry bout that, life just happens and it's been tough to find the energy to work on it. ep3 is literally 95% done, it's just getting the motivation to work on it when IRL stuff is putting pressure on me.
No worries man. Getting 95% of the way there is great, but it's the remaining 95% that's a real motherfucker to push through. :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Johnny Joestar posted:

i really enjoyed the highway segment in hl2 because it was neat to pop out every now and then on the coastline to explore a hosed up old house

This is actually my favourite part in Half Life 2; those houses seem very real, very desolate, and very ruined. So great.

Ninja edit: And also the billboard crossbow kill you get right as that sequence begins :clint:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I love the vehicle sections. I never found them particularly frustrating or anything, more relaxing.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The airboat section is probably about 2 maps too long, but other than that I always enjoyed the vehicle section. Highway 17 is a blast from start to finish and ending with the badass lighthouse battle while Nuclear Mission Jam blares on the soundtrack was just sublime. The side journey underneath the bridge to disable the shield is probably my favorite part.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I'm going to rant about the new Wolfenstein's. Why the gently caress don't you pick up items when you walk over them. There's a million little health packs and armour shards and ammo and you just constantly mash E. It sucks. Wolf 2 seems to pick things up after a delay but also prompts you to press E. Wtf?

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The Kins posted:

No worries man. Getting 95% of the way there is great, but it's the remaining 95% that's a real motherfucker to push through. :v:
that sums it up quite succinctly yeah :shobon:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Levitate posted:

It's not "good" it's just an attempt to vary the gameplay with mixed results. Frankly I'd rather have been running around shooting guys than trying to navigate the airboat track

The airboat hauls rear end and is fun as hell, possibly my favourite part of the game. IIRC you also get the revolver around that time, and while HL2's revolver has a pathetically small ammo limit it's also extremely satisfying to use.

The car outstays its welcome pretty fast, though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

My favorite part of HL2 was navigating underneath the big bridge thing, and all of the end game weird poo poo.

Also, I bought the FEAR series as well as the Metro series because between GOG and Steam it was all super cheap. I’ve never played either and am looking forward to playing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

My favorite part of HL2 was navigating underneath the big bridge thing, and all of the end game weird poo poo.

Also, I bought the FEAR series as well as the Metro series because between GOG and Steam it was all super cheap. I’ve never played either and am looking forward to playing.

For FEAR make sure to go on PCGamingWiki and pick up the HID Device fix, otherwise there's a good chance you'll run into performance issues after 15 minutes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
GZDoom 3.7.0 is out. No official changelog has been compiled yet, but here's some (admittedly techy) highlights contributors compiled on the Discord:

• ASMJIT compiler, basically meaning Decorate/ZScript is now much faster on x86 platforms (ie. actual computers and not your phone).
  • Improved function call convention, effectively greatly speeding up ZScript function calls.
  • Faster dynamic light relinking, which in English means that moving dynamic lights (fireballs, flashlights etc.) don't slow things down on complex maps anymore.
  • Lots of new toys for ZScripters to play with, like exported monster AI functions and the ability to check if a set of co-ordinates is actually inside the map or not.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

HL 1 > HL2 Episodes > HL2

You know it's true.

Frag Man
Sep 2, 2011

Convex posted:

For FEAR make sure to go on PCGamingWiki and pick up the HID Device fix, otherwise there's a good chance you'll run into performance issues after 15 minutes.

Is that the problem with Logitech devices? Cause I had problems running Condemned: Criminal Origins and unplugging all Logitech usbs solved it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Frag Man posted:

Is that the problem with Logitech devices? Cause I had problems running Condemned: Criminal Origins and unplugging all Logitech usbs solved it.

Yeah same issue, the DLL fixes both games so you don't have to do that any more!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

HL 1 > HL2 Episodes > HL2

You know it's true.

Yes, but this is all in the context of:

HL Series and offshoots > All other games

Other games are just fighting for second place.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Since people have better hardware now you can mod FEAR so the blood and bullet holes and stuff doesn't disappear so you can have proper shoot-out aftermaths.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I’m sorry I ever talked about gender and representation in FPSes, thread. I’m in an argument in another thread where someone wants a female Doom Slayer and it’s just the most aggravating pointless bullshit ever.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Arivia posted:

I’m sorry I ever talked about gender and representation in FPSes, thread. I’m in an argument in another thread where someone wants a female Doom Slayer and it’s just the most aggravating pointless bullshit ever.

Without wanting to derail, it's always nice to have the option to select a male or female protagonist, especially in games like Mass Effect where one actor was way better than the other. I get what you mean about Doom though, you're literally just a suit of space armour.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I wouldnt mind being able to choose the gender of my slayer avatar. I once went looking for a female av mod for og doom but the only thing i found on the zdoom forums was just loving awful

Unrelated but been playing plutonia 2 and its a heckin good wad aside from arch violence

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

A hyper-competent space marine woman exists in the novels, and everyone knows the novels are the true canon :colbert:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

I wouldnt mind being able to choose the gender of my slayer avatar. I once went looking for a female av mod for og doom but the only thing i found on the zdoom forums was just loving awful
My mod MetaDoom has alternate mugshots for different genders (as chosen in the Player Options menu). A friend whipped the graphics up and he did a pretty awesome job on them.

Probably wouldn't be enormously difficult to convert to a simple graphic replacement to load with other mods.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DoombatINC posted:

A hyper-competent space marine woman exists in the novels, and everyone knows the novels are the true canon :colbert:

Flynn Taggart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DoombatINC posted:

The novels where it turns out that the demons are really just some VR psyop from aliens? And the alien species are named the Freds and the Noobs? I'm sorry but no. :colbert: