Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Got the new iPhone and now I can only turn left.

You're, uh, holding it wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I am currently about 2 miles from Daytona international Speedway so this is accurate.

Edit: The Speedway's Christmas light display is actually pretty legit.

Portland's speedway, too

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Well, this is what I'm trying to convey with the lion analogy.

All you have to do is put a large quantity of highly active waste just inside the the entrance before you seal it off. If the vault is someday breached, primitive tribesmen will be warned away by the pile of human skeletons and mutated animal corpses that gets progressively taller as you approach the center.

On an individual level it's a tragedy, but on a demographic level it's just the cost of containment, and it's way cheaper than any alternative.
Assuming they're anything like modern humans, that's only going to encourage them.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

No they don't. The locals are just as dumb as the tourists.
Like George Carlin said, think about the average person, then realize that half of the population is dumber than that. Assuming a normal distribution, there are still tens of millions of dumbasses.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

One cool potential energy storage device is the hydraulic accumulator. You need only a very small engine to run a very large piston. Basically you fill a big ole cylinder, like ten thousand liters, with water and then have a honking big piston on top compress it. The energy can be used in hydraulic lines coming off the reservoir. It's out of fashion now but was used to run heavy machinery with small engines back in the late 19th century.

Oh and the correct answer to nuclear waste is to reprocess it. Thanks Carter administration for the nuclear waste problem that other countries don't have.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Arglebargle III posted:

One cool potential energy storage device is the hydraulic accumulator. You need only a very small engine to run a very large piston. Basically you fill a big ole cylinder, like ten thousand liters, with water and then have a honking big piston on top compress it. The energy can be used in hydraulic lines coming off the reservoir. It's out of fashion now but was used to run heavy machinery with small engines back in the late 19th century.

Oh and the correct answer to nuclear waste is to reprocess it. Thanks Carter administration for the nuclear waste problem that other countries don't have.

they aren't out of fashion at all! they tend to be powered electrically is all, but they are used on ships all the time for hydraulics, valves, etc

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, they're thinking of "unfavorable geometry". "Dangerous geometry" doesn't appear to be a phrase, and more's the pity.

There's something very Charles Stross / Laundry series over the idea, though I don't think he has used that exact phrase.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If we're talking about "angles that are disruptive to human life just by existing", there's lots of fiction that uses concepts like that, from Lovecraft's nauseating non-euclidean architecture on up. My favorite being David Langford's Basilisks, fractal images that crawl right up your optic nerve and yank your hippocampus out through the eye socket.

Now that I think of it, I'm sure Stross has specifically called out Langford Basilisks, and I don't just think in the Laundry books.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
There's also the vampires in Peter Watts' Blindsight that have a defect in their visual cortex that causes seizures when they see harsh right angles. This caused them to die out a couple thousand years ago when humanity started building better buildings and they couldn't look at them without seizing anymore. They're brought back through genetic engineering and given "anti-euclidean" drugs to keep them alive. If it sounds hokey I promise it's actually probably the best science fiction book of the twenty-first century and the vampire thing is a small but interesting part.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Phy posted:

If we're talking about "angles that are disruptive to human life just by existing", there's lots of fiction that uses concepts like that, from Lovecraft's nauseating non-euclidean architecture on up. My favorite being David Langford's Basilisks, fractal images that crawl right up your optic nerve and yank your hippocampus out through the eye socket.

Now that I think of it, I'm sure Stross has specifically called out Langford Basilisks, and I don't just think in the Laundry books.

Mmh, the "images that cause the image processing parts of your brain malfunction" are closely related. I seem to remember one of the Scottish guys went a step further, with video that could hack your brain being used in warfare. Alastair Reynolds, perhaps?

I was thinking more of the Stross style "this nested metal framework embodies a mathematical construct that opens a conduit to a dimension of noncorporeal energy eaters" dangerous geometry, though. :)

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

There's also the vampires in Peter Watts' Blindsight that have a defect in their visual cortex that causes seizures when they see harsh right angles. This caused them to die out a couple thousand years ago when humanity started building better buildings and they couldn't look at them without seizing anymore. They're brought back through genetic engineering and given "anti-euclidean" drugs to keep them alive. If it sounds hokey I promise it's actually probably the best science fiction book of the twenty-first century and the vampire thing is a small but interesting part.

Blindsight and Starfish are two of my favorite stories, Watts is such a great hard sci-fi author. I particularly loved his take on how humans would survive long term in undersea labs (hardcore biological system replacement iirc).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phy posted:

Kind of. The Laundry had Basilisk Stare which was a weaponized camera system that entered through the optic nerve and kicked off a transmutation replacing (and I can’t remember exactly, and too lazy to verify) carbon with silicon in a body. Which essentially turned a victim to stone.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Wikipedia claims Stross mentioned Langford by name in at least one thing he wrote, but doesn't specify where. I'd assume if it was in the Laundry they'd called them Langford hacks or something, since they already have basilisks.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Proteus Jones posted:

Kind of. The Laundry had Basilisk Stare which was a weaponized camera system that entered through the optic nerve and kicked off a transmutation replacing (and I can’t remember exactly, and too lazy to verify) carbon with silicon in a body. Which essentially turned a victim to stone.

Scorpion Stare turns about 10% of the carbon in an observed target into silicon by tunneling in protons from another universe. This, as could be anticipated, yields a large bang and a heat flashover and leaves a corpse made out of very hot, highly carbonaceous concrete.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Exit Strategy posted:

Scorpion Stare turns about 10% of the carbon in an observed target into silicon by tunneling in protons from another universe. This, as could be anticipated, yields a large bang and a heat flashover and leaves a corpse made out of very hot, highly carbonaceous concrete.

Very hot, highly carbonaceous concrete's a good way to describe my penis.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Mustached Demon posted:

Very hot, highly carbonaceous concrete's a good way to describe my penis.

"Tunneling in from another universe" is a pretty good description of mine. :colbert:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
My junk is known as Large Bang.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: removing goatse that the FYAD invasion put there.

Midjack has a new favorite as of 05:02 on Dec 27, 2018

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

And here I thought there'd be absolutely no use for that amazing thing

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Proteus Jones posted:

I may be wrong, but I think that worked the other way around: Medusa turned you to stone if you saw her - but basilisks turn you to stone if they see you. The Basilisk Stare system used a stereoscopic camera hooked to an ASIC that reproduced just enough of the basilisk visual system to get the same effect.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 03:15 on Dec 27, 2018

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
The basilisk effect was found to be caused by a tumor in the cingulate gyrus of both animals (forming a cockatrice or a basilisk) and humans (forming medusae). When these afflicted neural networks view something containing carbon atoms, eight additional protons tunnel in from another continuum forming silicon ions with a -8 charge, which is Really Bad for the surrounding bonds. The result is an oven-hot soup of carbosilicate compounds, none of which is remotely stable.

The Scorpion Stare technology simulates a diseased gyrus on a neural network fed by two cameras (one won't work). When the cameras are turned on and the neural net "observes" the carbonaceous target, the basilisk effect occurs and wham bang, something is dead.

In terms of cool sci-fi tech, it's definitely one of the more memorable things to arise out of 21st century literature.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Sir, this is a Wendy's drive-through, not an insufferable nerd convention.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

packetmantis posted:

packetmantis posted:

not an insufferable nerd convention

PYF Dangerous Chemistry: Curiosity got the better of me. Now I'm likely on some list

:thunk:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

packetmantis posted:

Careful with that joke, it's an antique.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Same. Is there an English-language place to buy it, or a friendly person in this thread who can read Japanese that can order it for me? Google translate craps out on the "shipping address" page, there's a dropdown that isn't translated, nor is its title, but it seems to be essential.

I managed to get it to translate the shipping drop down (In Safari), every entry is a prefecture in Japan. So it looks like no international shipping on a t-shirt I must have.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mllaneza posted:

I managed to get it to translate the shipping drop down (In Safari), every entry is a prefecture in Japan. So it looks like no international shipping on a t-shirt I must have.

Yeah, they won't ship international (which is solvable) and they won't take a credit card from outside Japan. We'll need a Japan-based goon to make this happen. :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Midjack posted:

Yeah, they won't ship international (which is solvable) and they won't take a credit card from outside Japan. We'll need a Japan-based goon to make this happen. :smith:

You might have luck in ADTRW with that.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
If anybody finds someone to proxy ship, I'm in for one. Demon core cat shirt must happen!

Otherwise, I'm going to continue to drink my yearly beverage, and maybe try to vectorize it or otherwise get it up on redbubble. It's been a long time since highschool .svg wrangling, but I'll see what I come up with.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I live in Japan. Won’t be back until mid-January, but I am sure something can be arranged.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

If anybody finds someone to proxy ship, I'm in for one. Demon core cat shirt must happen!

Shipping isn't the problem, having a Japanese bank credit card is the showstopper.

Grundulum posted:

I live in Japan. Won’t be back until mid-January, but I am sure something can be arranged.

If you have local plastic we're in business!

Midjack has a new favorite as of 07:39 on Dec 27, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Working on a vector right now

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 08:28 on Dec 27, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Queen Combat posted:

Working on a vector right now

I love you Queen Combat

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Yes, I have a Japanese credit card. Happy to be the proxy for a handful of goons if Queen Combat’s vector recreation doesn’t satisfy. Please repost the link to the store page, though, since I didn’t notice it the first time through.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Uhh, I am not good at computer, but here it is:

https://www.redbubble.com/people/queen-combat/works/35932371-i-love-science-demon-core

I set the markup to the minimum (1%) because this isn't mine. Redbubble is trash but the shirt is available. I have no idea how their clothes are.

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 09:24 on Dec 27, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grundulum posted:

Yes, I have a Japanese credit card. Happy to be the proxy for a handful of goons if Queen Combat’s vector recreation doesn’t satisfy. Please repost the link to the store page, though, since I didn’t notice it the first time through.

Here's the one from earlier:
https://minne.com/items/6616493

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Queen Combat posted:

https://www.redbubble.com/people/queen-combat/works/35932371-i-love-science-demon-core

I set the markup to the minimum (1%) because this isn't mine. Redbubble is trash but the shirt is available. I have no idea how their clothes are.

That vector'd image is delightful!

Redbubble shirts are meh at best, but they're better than Café Press. I got one for an obscure minor league sports team cuz they don't have real merch online, and the quality is acceptable.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

Man this is really good and even more so for just doing it off the internet.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Queen Combat posted:

My contact fell through (they're moving the shop to a new location, and probably wouldn't do more than the one for me anyway, because they're a real sueable business), and your redraw is better than mine would have been anyway. I'm buying that one and wearing at least until I can get my friend to make me one on a better base shirt.

Now I just have to pick a color. Hmm.

To swing this back on-topic, y'all should get the cheapest option, it's 100% cotton. Have I posted in this thread about that time the front of my father's shirt went up in a ball of flame?

Edit: Apparently not! Don't wear polyester when doing hot work, kids. The incident in question, I was working for my father one summer in high school, being the muscle to help him install air conditioners. We'd swapped out a unit and he was torch-brazing the copper tubing together while wearing the standard 100% polyester Dickies work shirt.

A drop of sweat fell from his brow onto the joint he was working on, and the resulting tiny steam explosion threw a drop of molten bronze onto his chest.

FWOOMP :supaburn:

and he was left standing there, chest hair burned off, beard a bit singed, no shirt between button placket and armpits, while I and the friend-of-the-family whose A/C we were replacing laughed. Luckily, it just went up in a fireball and didn't melt to his skin, and even Dad thinks it was funny looking back.

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Dec 28, 2018

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Bought a shirt. Thank you, goons.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Probably gonna buy a shirt, it's beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Got a shirt, looking forward to weird looks while wearing it