Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

MOBAs are RTS games for retards and young children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Gawain The Blind posted:

I'm too retarded to play rts is pretty much how the genre was born

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gawain The Blind posted:

Factual statements are not welcome in the unpopular opinions thread

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

jokes posted:

Best part of it was that it bankrolled Frostpunk which is an absolute delight.

First time I've ever seen Frostpunk referred to that way.

*sends more children into the coal mines*

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

abigserve posted:

i hope it was hard knocks that got dicked on because holy poo poo those guys were huge cowards

i have some good news for you.

https://zkillboard.com/kill/73971933/

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 26, 2018

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

hahahahaha gently caress yeah

I spent two years in wormhole space and I hated rolling into those guys holes because they'd never fight. they were the perfect example of how to sperg wormhole space, build a shitload of capital ships, have enough cap pilots constantly logged in to make it literally impossible for anyone to fight you and then rageroll. What a dream outcome.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dragon's Dogma is loving garbage and I'll never listen to goon recommendations ever again.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Temaukel posted:

Dragon's Dogma is loving garbage and I'll never listen to goon recommendations ever again.

no lie, i have probably gleaned more random personal favorite games by reading the pyf bitch about games thread with my eyes peeled for pyf goons complaining about things that sound neat than from the equivalent pyf little things about games thread

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Steam reviews are often wrong

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

This War of Mine did a good job of making me feel terrible enough to never start a second playthrough

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Crusader Kings 2 is really good

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

This War of Mine kicks rear end and deserved more credit than it got. For every critical raving I've seen of it, ten dweebs dismiss it for being indie bullshit or whatever but it's ace as gently caress. Great balance of gameplay/narrative that actually feels meaningful without being tedious and it's a really solid way to kill 10-15 hours of your life. And it looks great too.

I just wish it had more random events and an option to speed up time.

No you spoiled brats, for the umpteenth time you cannot have all my antibiotics to cure your mom or whatever.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

a new study bible! posted:

How the gently caress is this unpopular

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Temaukel posted:

How the gently caress is this unpopular

It's not, I just like shouting my opinions into a void.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

what's the value of all this in dollars if you bought it all with PLEX today

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Personally, I was disappointed that it didn't play exactly like Sonic Mania.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Chomp8645 posted:

Personally, I was disappointed that it didn't play exactly like Sonic Mania.

That'll change in the next DLC.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Here's a real unpopular opinion. The new God of War could have been cool, but the level and world design was such plodding poo poo that moving around was a terrible chore and it was reason enough to turn off an otherwise good game.

I turned that game off after you had to complete the long rear end light temple while carrying crystals back and forth like it was an n64 game.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
God of War has always been bad. You just mash the attack buttons and then slowly win the game

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

unity and blender have the worst UIs of any software i've encountered in this lifetime and it is genuinely amazing that anyone manages to get things done in them, bravo, indie devs

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

ID released the source code for quake 3, didn’t they? there were a ton of games that used that engine back in the day for a lot more than just miltiplayer deathmatch games. is it not old enough for retro appeal or has anyone used it for indie development?

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

food court bailiff posted:

unity and blender have the worst UIs of any software i've encountered in this lifetime and it is genuinely amazing that anyone manages to get things done in them, bravo, indie devs

Actually, now that blender 2.80 beta is out, the UI is pretty good

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Propaganda Hour posted:

First time I've ever seen Frostpunk referred to that way.

*sends more children into the coal mines*

That's the first time you've seen Frostpunk described in a correct and accurate way?

Also lol good job on picking the wrong decision noob i bet you also go order lol

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

QuarkJets posted:

That's the first time you've seen Frostpunk described in a correct and accurate way?

Also lol good job on picking the wrong decision noob i bet you also go order lol

Hey man I like frostpunk too I just think delight is a weird word for a game where you can create your own Nazi ragime.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Here's a real unpopular opinion. The new God of War could have been cool, but the level and world design was such plodding poo poo that moving around was a terrible chore and it was reason enough to turn off an otherwise good game.

I turned that game off after you had to complete the long rear end light temple while carrying crystals back and forth like it was an n64 game.

That sounds like a typical god of war "puzzle"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Propaganda Hour posted:

Hey man I like frostpunk too I just think delight is a weird word for a game where you can create your own Nazi ragime.

Well they did create the new Serenity mode where you just build stuff and have a nice time. Presumably so that you can just have a delightful non-nazi (or non-god king) experience

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

god of war has always sucked tremendous poo poo, and i say that as someone who has bought it multiple times at this point because at one point it was cheaper to get a ps3 controller with that trash-fire of a game than by itself

if stupid ps2 beat-em-ups with over-the-top nonsense were going to become the norm for a while anyways then in a decent, just universe we would have gotten several The Bouncer sequels instead

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I absolutely hated traversal in that game.

swissmercenary
Nov 28, 2012

gentlemen, shall we?
Why was fcon kicked?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
That Scott Pilgrim game on PS3/360 was garbage and Paul Robertson is a terrible artist.

god of war has always sucked tremendous poo poo, and i say that as someone who has bought it multiple times at this point because at one point it was cheaper to get a ps3 controller with that trash-fire of a game than by itself

if stupid ps2 beat-em-ups with over-the-top nonsense were going to become the norm for a while anyways then in a decent, just universe we would have gotten several The Bouncer sequels instead

I love the God of War series, but the overwhelming majority of knock-offs that came out from like 2005-2010 or so were dire. I've never gotten more than 2 or 3 levels into Castlevania Lords of Shadow out of sheer boredom, for example.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

no lie, i have probably gleaned more random personal favorite games by reading the pyf bitch about games thread with my eyes peeled for pyf goons complaining about things that sound neat than from the equivalent pyf little things about games thread

Though this can backfire. The Starbound thread is 90% goons rightly complaining about how bad and disappointing the game is, and new people keep stumbling into the thread asking for recommendations, and when told by everyone the game is bad assume it must be some kind of hazing and the game maybe just needs mods or something. (the mods are also bad)

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*
Half life has aged like moldy bread.. but is still better than Half life 2.

Black Mesa is legit amazing though.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

A Smoke Break posted:

black mesa is funny to me because it was literally a thing before hl2 actually came out, the creators were big posters on hl2world.com and some of them were utterly insufferable.

the last part of the game is due to be out next year

half life 2 was released 14 years ago

imagine spending fourteen years working on a mod for a game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

abigserve posted:

imagine spending fourteen years working on a mod for a game

lmbo

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

A Smoke Break posted:

You must be eating some delicious moldy bread. Half-Life 1 has aged amazingly well, it's still an (almost) perfect game.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 27, 2018

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Horizon Zero Dawn and the samurai game the same people are making now are both really ugly and the thing they have going on where all the trees and grass and flowers and poo poo are constantly gyrating is straight nauseating to look at.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Two different developers

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Huh poo poo you're right and now I'm worried that wacky wobbly wavy trees are gonna be a trend

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What the hell do you mean, son? Post examples of your issue or I am closing down your posts immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

ID released the source code for quake 3, didn’t they? there were a ton of games that used that engine back in the day for a lot more than just miltiplayer deathmatch games. is it not old enough for retro appeal or has anyone used it for indie development?

Having the source code to an engine is totally different than something like Unity or Gamemaker

Quake engine is all code touching. if you wanna do anything you're basically rolling your own tools, which is why all the original stuff that wasn't just a map or a mod or something came from studios and not teens in bedrooms. GM and I assume Unity too are basically building blocks and it's entirely possible to make a game without needing to touch code. You're probably going to, but the amount you actually are required to is insignificant compared to making something on the Quake engine that isn't just Quake.